45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2013 9:41 AM by ghamorra RSS

+1 stat for good sportsmanship

ghamorra

I think it's time we start recognizing those who play admirably and who define what it means to be an honorable opponent. Today I played against several groups of people who despite getting completely destroyed stayed and finished the match. There were also those I've met who congratulate me even when they lose badly and still tell me good game

What I would like is a way to +1 these people somehow so the world can see just how awesome some members of the community are

• Re: Good Sportsmanship Medals
    Highwayman0226

I generally compliment players that get the best of me, assuming the connection is fair.  I guess lag turns me into a sore loser.  I like this idea.  Way to much disrespect and insults in this game.

jeepchick

You do get a medal (XP) for finishing a match. I can't think of what it's called at the moment, but win or lose you get it and it's a hefty amount of XP (500 I think?)

tracy

I'm one of those types of players and that's how I get friends (xbox ) - I'll stay until the end no matter what and it's good to be appreciated by getting those messages from others like yourself

TRU11

there is medal that you earn if you finish the game.

i think its 500 xp orso

or 50 lol.

• Re: +1 stat for good sportsmanship
    cynicaldriver

So... Like a COD "Like" button for players? I would support that, provided there was no way to "boost" it. You would also have to make sure tat there is no "Dislike" button,because then it would promote even more negativity.

ghamorra

You can only +1 somebody once and those who are on your friend's list cannot +1 you

Highwayman0226

lol @ people boosting "likes"

Had a match last night, this dude went like 27-6 in a TDM.  He started talking smack at the end, not over doing it, but just pointing to his score.  I told him he played a good match and he immediately quit. 

I've seen this also. Not sure why that is, from a psychological standpoint. Narcissists would be eating it up, because of their inability to empathize with others and it being "all about them" in their little world of their mind. So busy patting themselves on the back they pretty much ignore all else -- so narcissism must not be it exactly.

Perhaps it's as simple as "they feel guilty" for smack talking in front of someone being genuinely "likable" and showing good sportsmanship.

theroc23

I always amazed the phenomena that is everyone screaming out their Ks on game chat at the end of a match. Happens ALL THE TIME! There's often times that I'd like to get a word in about the next game but can't because 6 or 7 people are screaming overs each other for attention.

I was on my own last night against 5 with about 4 mins left on the clock.  Tried to battle away but the 4 mins felt like a hour, just kept gettng killed..  got to laugh and carry on

I completely support this suggestion.  It would be such a small thing to add to the game (you can already "like" peoples' emblems and theater files) which would require next to no bandwidth, but would go a long way towards fostering good sportsmanship in the games. 

In fact, further suggestion: quitting a game in progress (only after you've spawned in at least once) would automatically subtract 1 from your "likes", even taking the ranking down to negative numbers when necessary.  This would not apply to disconnects/dashboards...they would still fall under the current suspension system.

I agree completely with this!

Of course, they need to restrict it to one vote per PS3 (per 360, per PC), but the ability to show a player card for "Prestigious Sportsmanship" would carry more weight with me personally than anything else an opponent would care to display.

As you have stated, the only place they should be able to receive this vote is after the match.

Izjar11

Sounds good G'

vdubpdx1982

that is a great idea. One thing i hate more than a sore looser is a DB winner. I was playing a 4v4 league match once and it was CTF and there was a 4 person clan vs me and 3 random's well the clan did the typical spawn trap and cap strategy and wouldn't you know it before the first round even ended all 3 of my team mates quit the game well me being the type that doesn't like to quit games stayed and played 4v1 and while i did not win the match due to the fact that i could barely get away form my spawn i still stayed and put a fight anyway i ended the match with the highest K/D in the game and was proud of my self for making it through the game alone but as soon as the match ended i got bombarded with the "you suck bro!" and "we kicked your a**!" and lots more insults that were not called for as it does not take a lot of skill to be a DB after going 4v1 in a game where my looser teammates can not be replaced upon leaving. I just quietly waited to return to the lobby reported them all for their language and their emblems as of course they were the typical childish nudity emblems and then proceeded to leave the lobby with out as much as acknowledging them.

sdredger

only prob then tho would be that  people would prob "boost for likes"

the community is already plagued by booster, it would just be another way for them cheat..

what about going the other way, and everytime people rage quit, it auto increases a counter on their emblem showing how many games they have backed out of and their lack of honour?

ghamorra

That's why I wouldn't allow more than one +1 per person. So if you have a friend you can't +1 them and if you find a random person you can't have them +1 you more than one time. Also I've been thinking about only being able to issue six +1's a week or something. That way you don't those who just spam them, we know how the community likes to spam

crosby85

You would have to limit each console though as boosters would just create loads of dummie accounts to issue likes to each other. However I do think this is one of the best ideas I have heard in a very long time! it's nearly as good as the implamentation of the mute all function.

ghamorra

Creating a dummy account means you have to create a new email, find a new user name, and go through all that. It's a lot of effort

A better solution (maybe) might be allowing the ability to +1 after prestige for the first time. That takes a ton of effort and if someone is willing to go through all that to boost +1's then go for it

Good post.

I was on last night 6 v 6 on Domination. Everyone except me left in first half. Started 2nd half on my own. Match ended about a min or so into 2nd half. I killed someone then was immediately killed straight after them, then game ended. Don't think it was cos of score so don't know why it ended. I wanted to see how well I would do on my own just for a laugh, haha.

I like it.

I remember back in the good ol days when most MP on line games ended in a flood of GGs at the end, not the quitterfest or worse the losers making a ton of excuses why you won because you suck?

Strange days indeed.

ghamorra

I can't play a game without someone accussing another of hacking or something. I listen to my brother play and I complains about every death never taking responsibility for his own actions

I was in a game of domination last night. we only lost game by a couple of points but all way through one guy was shouting at one or two enemy players saying I'm reporting you and you etc.

Got on my nerves. He finished top of our leaderboard aswell. I was second. I've never shouted at anyone in a game. It's only a game

ghamorra

Everyone gets upset and some people need to vent to keep them calm.

I have a clan member who's a great player, the type who always has the most kills and most caps while keeping his deaths low. He has a poor mental mindset though and always needs to make up excuses, not because he's a sore loser but it helps keep him calm.

After the game he say good game and give props to those who need it, but during the game you sometimes have to mute him

sdredger

each time i look at this thread, it looks like a better and better idea.

i like it..

fLoRiDa_KrAcKeR1

I always stay in for the match bonus. And I we do hammer down on another team, I also compliment the player for staying and finishing it out. Good post man !

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

a way to +1 people would be pretty cool., a like button would be a decent idea. i was in a lobby today where three people on my team told me "good game". that surprised me. i can't remember that last time i heard those words ANYWHERE in a lobby. it was odd... but kinda cool.

The idea that their is any kind of sportsmanship in this game implies that the game is fair, when it is actually a connection based scam that forces people to use cheap tactics instead of skill.

ghamorra

Even when faced with a horrible connection there are those who still say good game and such. Today I played against a 12yr old kid from New York. He was the most positive person I have ever met. We completely destroyed him and his 20+ teammates that came and went throughout the match. He stayed through it all

After several matches of him being on the other team and losing he started to do better and eventually gave us a real challenge. We picked him up after that game because he was fun to have in the party. It didn't matter what the connection was, score, or anything. He played to have fun and would have more than deserved a +1

this is a great idea, a reputation meter kind of thing, i havent read the whole thread so if no one has mentioned it, you should not be able to give or receive +1 to or from players on your freinds list. (i see op spoke of it)

This is a good idea ONLY IF you could only give a +1 and not a -1. Reason why is because it is too easy to piss off someone. You could dominate that one guy and then suddenly your Reputation got -200.

ghamorra

Zorz0rz wrote:

This is a good idea ONLY IF you could only give a +1 and not a -1. Reason why is because it is too easy to piss off someone. You could dominate that one guy and then suddenly your Reputation got -200.

Yep, I think I have thay somewhere

BukLau101

Today I two K9 units in one game, I'm not great at this game so this was a major achievement for me but guess what??? The stupid host dashboards and the host migration fails. Hosts who Dashboard and ragequit frequently should get blacklisted so they cannot host on public matches and people who stick around even when things are tough definately need to be rewarded.