20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2012 4:05 PM by greencoffin72 RSS

Lag issues

I know this has been beaten over and over again and for the most part I was experiencing small spikes but still very playable. Today I have changed my mind with 110% support for those mentioning how bad it is.  Just today I haven't completed one match without the image of the plug in the wall saying "Connection Interrupted", a brief pause, and then I'm back in game running out into the open, or into a wall, etc etc. In one match on the Raid map I had counted 9 "Connection Interrupted".  I have DSL with Frontier Communications as my provider and I live in northern Nevada which doesn't seem to affect any game except BOPS2.

Is this the same lag issues others are having as well?

• Re: Lag issues
    nicedrewishfela

The past two nights I have had significant issues. I wasn't sure if it was my connection or the game itself, as it seemed to be mostly happening to me although others in my lobbies were reporting they were having lag issues as well. Last night I kept going Red Bar in the middle of matches, and getting the disconnect message. I'd come out of it and die more often than not. It happened off and on last night, and I reset my equipment twice.

I wasn't sure if it was an issue with my carrier or something going on in game. I have Cable and it is usually very consistent. I was going to call the company to see if there was anything going on....

zingaa

It's been pretty good for me after the patch (for whatever reason I don't know), but these few days after xmas have been pretty bad, probably around 50% of my games are laggy as heck.

wyattconrad

Unfortunately they have no solution to the problem. We are at the mercy of Activision/Treyarch at this point. It is very sad that we spend money on these games and get nothing in return. This game is only worth about $20 in my opinion.

I'll be speaking with my wallet next time Activision and/or Treyarch release a game. No money from me...

Yep, same here. Big issues today.

Have you changed your search preferences to Best. This gets you the best connection at that time. It works for me. I've played all afternoon and evening and experienced no lag. Found out how bad I suck also. Did better with the lag. lol

Please don't recommend that to people. A lot of users have terrible connection and when they do that, it causes unbearable lag for the people WITH good/solid connections. This was the case last night as 2 people on the enemy time (another match it was one guy on my team) who had yellow/red bar and because of that, everyone else who had a GREEN, FULL BAR connection experienced lag.

Go to speedtest.net and do a connection test.

Only set your search filter to best IF you meet these:

Less than 50MS Ping.
        Download Speeds ABOVE 20 MB/Sec.

Upload Speeds ABOVE 2.5 MB/Sec.

maccabi

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

Go to speedtest.net and do a connection test.

Only set your search filter to best IF you meet these:

Less than 50MS Ping.
          Download Speeds ABOVE 20 MB/Sec.

Upload Speeds ABOVE 2.5 MB/Sec.

Absolute twaddle.

With respect if you're going to post stuff advising people please make sure you actually understand what you are talking about,

search options have nothing do too with bandwidth. This game and previous CoDs uses a tiny amount bandwidth (unless you're host) . It would be really rare just playing if you ever exceed 0.04mbs up or down while playing so as I said tiny.

The search options use ping to determine matchmaking, regardless of the confusing wording in game,

The differences between the three are basically the ranges of ping that the game will match you with.

"best" will try to match you to the lowest differences in ping, while this setting is fine for the majority of people, if you live in a low populated area or in a low populated playlist you may not find a game as there isnt any sessions when you search that fit that criteria.

using the other two settings will increase the likelyhood of finding a match as theres a higher range of pings.

BUT regardless of what setting you use if no games are found it will extend the search to the next level of ranges anyways,,,

search always goes from 0 up so even if search doesnt find a match the first cycle it will start the next range from 0

I understand what I'm talking about, but with all due respect, if you have a person with a really bad ping, and low connection (upload and download speeds lower than what I posted), would you want them to set their search prefence to best? Absolutely not. Why? Because their connection will cause issues for those with a good/solid connection (lag compensation) so sir, you were incorrect and bandwith does play a part in the search preference. This was the case for me as I played 2-3 matches last night where only 1 or 2 people would have god awful connections and be in the yellow or red, and because of them, our entire match would lag.

Here's an explanation of two of the Search Filters from in-game:

Any - Recommended ONLY for users with poor connection quality who experience extended search times. IE: The lower-tiered users ("Poor connection quality" <--- That relates to bandwith, does it not? I know other factors would come in such as how many people are on the network at one given time but for the most part it seems bandwith would be what the search preferences go on).

Best - Search only for games on the best connections (again, I'm pretty sure connections would mean bandwith and at this point, I would not want any DSL users using this to find games as their connection is nowhere near fast like cable and again, would result in others lagging).

Hence why I said to check your bandwith first.

maccabi

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

I understand what I'm talking about,

Honestly no, no you don't.

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

but with all due respect, if you have a person with a really bad ping, and low connection (upload and download speeds lower than what I posted), would you want them to set their search prefence to best? Absolutely not. Why? Because their connection will cause issues for those with a good/solid connection (lag compensation)

Ping is a measurement its not a constant number, you cant have a "really bad ping" until you have connected or pinged a host. Matchmaking is designed to place people who ping within a certain range to the "yardstick used to measure" into the same sessions . The only time you would get someone in a session outside those ranges is either

a) they have joined as part of a party and as search uses the party leader info only.

b) they live in a low populated area/in a low popualted playlist and its the only available spot for them.

True story my net is currently borked due to flooding the exchange went bang, for the last week, we've had no phone line and my net is currently connected at 160kbps down and 220 up , guess what as long as noone in the house is using the net at the same time  i can play the game fine, use party chat and not really notice any difference in my quality of gaming,

Still have my settings set to best, matched most of the time to 4 bars if playing solo 4/3 if in a party as usual.. and no i dont lag in game nor do i lag for other players, Why? as i stated early this game uses a tiny amount of bandwidth, while my bandwidth may be severly limited atm my line quality is still almost as good as before the outage so my packets arent screwed maning i can update and be updates just as well by the host server.

You are wrong when you refer to the bandwidt as speed it isnt speed its bandwidth.,

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

you were incorrect and bandwith does play a part in the search preference.

Nope it doesnt at all not in the slightest.,

The only parameters in search are as follows

whether the session is full or empty,

Skillwieght (the skill based part of matchmaking)

geowieght (which is geolocation)

preferredping / maxallowed ping (the ping ranges)

thats it bandwidth nope not even listed /mentioned/ hinted at

The only time bandwidth ever comes into play is in host selection then its the upload bandwidth (which you refered to as speed), but the host race is a seperate system/function to search preferences.

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

Here's an explanation of two of the Search Filters from in-game:

Any - Recommended ONLY for users with poor connection quality who experience extended search times. IE: The lower-tiered users

Again the wording on the search preferences is very confusing and something i have been arguing to have chnaged as per you being a prime example its causing too much confusion for people.

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

Best - Search only for games on the best connections (again, I'm pretty sure connections would mean bandwith and at this point, I would not want any DSL users using this to find games as their connection is nowhere near fast like cable and again, would result in others lagging).

Hence why I said to check your bandwith first.

Again you seem to be confusing bandwidth for speed, it isnt the same thing at all.

and ironically you are completely wrong about adsl versus cable, from a gaming point of view adsl is better than cable, as theres less latency on adsl lines than on cable, meaning your quality of games would be better as would your ping.

Being on cable doesnt mean you have faster internet at all, the only thing you might have over an adsl user is higher bandwidth,

as a quick cliff note , the more bandwidth you have the more you can download in one go at the SAME speed,thats it , it doesnt make your entire connection faster at all. And before you cite the fact cable uses light as opposed to electrical signels (adsl) to transmit data the actual transmission speeds of data between the two different systems aren't actually that different.

Thr thing most people forget is you pay for a connection between you and the isp (what is commonly refered to as last mile network or similar wording ), past that point everything travels the same way The majority of latency experienced by people playing video games comes in that last mile network ie the part between you and the isp and vice versa and again cable comes off alot worse as aresult due to the way isps usually hook up peope.

gallp13

Hey Mac can you shed any light on OPs question? Appreciate anything you can offer. Happy new year btw. gallp

Then I stand corrected, you obvsiouly have a better understanding of it than me. If anything I'm most baffled by the fact that you experience fairly lag free games even in the current state your connection is in.

maccabi

Ex-SOLDIER wrote:

Then I stand corrected, you obvsiouly have a better understanding of it than me. If anything I'm most baffled by the fact that you experience fairly lag free games even in the current state your connection is in.

Firstly my home network is set up correctly and optimised for online play,

Secondly as I said earlier the games use a tiny amount of bandwidth so even with my severely limited bandwdth atm I still have far more than i need to play without issues., ironically its taking me about a minute to reload a page on here . Also it takes a min odd to log into xbl and load the dashboard (thats the period where the most bandwidth is used) . but once im logged in as i said as long as noone else uses the net at home not having any issues,

My connection currently would be about equivelent to a old skool isdn connection and remember long before people had broadband we managed to play online games fine with dial up isdn connections, online gaming isnt a new thing thats started with broadband,the only thing broadband really added to the equation was with higher upload bandwidth its now possible for players to run listen servers (what cod uses ie one player runs the game server as well as playing [host])

thirdly my pings are still on par with what i had before my net outage so im not really affected from a gaming point of view,

People focus way too much on the wrong stuff when it comes to online gaming, the infrastructure of the internet may have been upgraded and improved over the years, and isps may now include traffic mananagement policiues at peak times ect  but the protocols (sizes of packets ect) hasnt changed since the good old days of dial up.

As i stated earlier people seem to assume they pay for a connection that exceeds the distance they have control over, once your packet leaves your isps own network and hits the main internet backbones its not treated any differently because you pay more per month, to put that into a rough perspective for gaming, most updates are sent or recieved faster between a player and host than it takes to blink.

0.04mbs......Its actually 4.5kb/s (on average) for XBL. 6kb/s if you get host. So just multiply up by the number of people in the game for the total bandwidth when you get host.

Non host its actually (again on average) 0.00439453125 mb / s

So as maccabi said, bandwidth is not a issue/or relevent when host is being selected.

Adeeez100

It's just plain awful, not very insightful i know but why should we be the ones to melt our brains over this.

phxs72

The lost connection error either means that the host is having connection issues or you are having connections issues.  If others in the lobby are seeing the same thing and you are not the host then it most definitely is the host.  I've seen an uptick in this problem as well but I would imagine it's due to the influx of Christmas noobs more than anything.  I've also been drawing host a lot more lately which may also be an indication of an overload of folks with bad connections joining the community.

with respect to this so called argument of BEST/ANY/NORMAL search pref do us all a favour and stop recomending people to use the best search preff why because it means absoloutly squat in this game and the way hosts are sorted and delivered please it may work for 1 in 100 on best it may work for 1 in 100 on normal as stated bandwidth only comes into play for hosting games but i not being funny untill they increase the bandwidth limmits and improve the region match making system and the stabilaty to host connections this game will NEVER run right for the masses i changed my search to best and hit second rate bad internet connection full time why do these buddget internets have such a impact on this game il tell you because there servers are over loaded and so much packet data is lost held in buffers or unstable it untrue take sky bb for instance they offer upto 16meg how many people do you know getting anywere near 16meg everyone i know useing sky BB 2meg max why because these sub standard overloaded internet services that used to work well for facebook is crippleing this dam game they should imploment a system that tests everyons bandwidth and apply lobbys to average connections not latancy i reakon we have a whole new ball park in game playabilaty and stabilaty then i mean take last night me group of freinds 9hrs game play 6 games total was fairly matched felt fair in every way ran as it should very little lag then was the daft host selection i have a excellent connection both bandwidth and latancy all though i know at peak times my latancy can fluctuate quite a bit as it a dynamic system but from 90% of my games logical host selection should have bein given to me i.e higher bandwidth and so on but know it goes to faggout internet connections ask lobby about there connections in a all uk lobby wich rare guess what ? you guessed it fecking sky and talk talk majoraty isp low grade over loaded servers im so sick of it causeing me issues drives me potty

0.04mbs.....bandwidth usage is actually 4.5kb/s (on average) for XBL. 6kb/s if you get host. So just multiply up by the number of people in the game for the total bandwidth when you get host.

Non host its actually (again on average) 0.00439453125 mb / s

So as maccabi said, bandwidth is not a issue/or relevent when host is being selected.