19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 10:20 AM by nicedrewishfela RSS

My TV, Lag, & Blops 2

Here is a link to my TV.  I don't believe input lag is a problem, but I thought I would ask here for some feedback. 

http://m.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN43D450A2DXZA#specs

Samsung 43" Plasma

.001 ms response time, I would think that this is rather fast and shouldn't be a problem.

I have tried it in and out of game mode with no noticeable difference.  I have also tried 720 and 1080 settings on the Xbox and haven't noticed a difference either. 

Thanks.

• Re: My TV, Lag, & Blops 2
    nicedrewishfela

It does have a profound effect, trust me.

I switched from my Big Screen to a 23" gaming monitor and the difference is amazing.

Yeah I had a 32" Asus, and started messing around with other TV's. I gotta say I was amazed at how much of a delay there was, and I never knew. Now I use 20" gaming monitor as well.

I use a 28" PC monitor and still have lag.  Not input lag, just the regular bad coding lag.

Also, before assuming your televison is a problem, put in MW3 or another earlier title and see how you fare.

greencoffin72

Lulz, TV input lag is making BO2 unplayable....

I mean the lag is bad, but blaming your TV for milliseconds lost?

nicedrewishfela

It makes a big difference, believe it or not.

greencoffin72

Not enough difference to go buy another TV.

nicedrewishfela

I bought a gaming monitor for a fraction of what a new TV would cost. I didn't think it would make much of a difference either but I am a believer now. The new TVs have so much going on you are bound to get some input lag. My TV, for example, is a Smart 3D TV. I went to it from a smaller flat screen and was frustrated because I just couldn't seem to get consistent results.

Switched to a gaming monitor and the results have surprised me. I am not saying everyone needs to do it, but it is something to consider for people who play a lot. Plus, I can watch TV on my big screen while I play.

I am not saying it cures all ills in this game. You are going to get laggy lobbies no matter what. But at least you are only fighting the connection lag and not the input lag, and that will give you the advantage more often than not.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

If you're serious about gaming then dropping $ 200-300 on a good gaming monitor means nothing. It will really put you on an advantage believe it or not. I dropped $1000 on a pair of 7970 video cards just so I can play BF3 on its Ultra graphics setting at above 100 frames per second.

greencoffin72

I play a lot, but I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars to get milliseconds.  The internet, TV, electronics are dynamic things.  Electricity is dynamic and never sustainable at very low levels consistently.  It is inherent of the electron within the atomic structure of all things. 

I highly doubt that anyone that is serious enough about gaming would be perusing the BO2 forums for hints on how to get better. 

I play for entertainment, as do a majority of peeps on these boards.

And dropping $1000 for a video game?  Ridiculous, IMO.  Save it or buy something useful.  I suppose if you have the money to blow, blow it.  Or pay some hooker to do it for you.....

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

It makes a lot of difference, mate. A lot of encounters in CQC engagements goes down to where the difference is just one bullet. Having sub 1-frame input lag puts you a bullet ahead of someone with 40-60 ms input lag.

I would not worry about it that much.

you can get a little input lag depending on the TV, but a lot of the stuff you will read about it is just being deflected by people who claim the game is fine because they are actually on the good side of the lag comp.

As long as their game is fine it must be your isp, TV or you just suck.

The game has bad network coding or whatever it is.  Some people have had an improvement since the update and others have found it's worse.

Try playing cod4, MW2 and just see how they play on your tv.  Even MW3 (I have heard it's been fixed finally) you should get a good feel for how the game should be playing.

stumpsigpi

I purchased an ASUS VS247H-P on Wednesday and could not believe how many more CQC 1v1s I am winning. Previously using an old Insignia 22" TV. IMO the $200 is well spent 

Moofda

You may not notice input lag, but for me it's a killer. If you ever have a chance to play on a monitor you should, I guarantee you'll notice the difference then. Once I switched to a monitor, the difference was incredible. So much more responsive.