37 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2012 11:28 AM by kobeflesh RSS

PubStompers Heavily abusing the skill based matchmaking system

RexxCastle

I have noticed i HUGE surge in the amount of high SPM 3-400+ Pubstompers that are getting in groups with someone with an SPM of 100 or below just so that they can go in and flat out destroy the room.   What the hell is the fuin in that?  Are you guys really that bad that you would rather make the game no fun for others because you cant compete against others in your score range?  I bet the same kids get off on taking candy from small children also.

3 arc  please fix this,  currently the matchmaking only looks at the leaders SPM,  cant you change it so that it looks at the average SPM of the ENTIRE group before it places someone?

Facing a team with 4 - 400SPM and 1 45 SPM  against a team of sub 100's  is not very balanced at all.

• Re: PubStompers Heavily abusing the skill based matchmaking system
    WKMMS

I thought matchmaking looked at KDR spread rather than SPM

RexxCastle

it looks at SPM,  looking at lobby leaderboards will show you that

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

It's SPM for TDM. However, they loosened up with the recent patch and I'm now getting matched with people on the range of 30-300 SPM. I'm currently sitting at 232 SPM on TDM. Treyarch did the right thing and tweaked it.

This is how it should be and they should not sacrifice connection for the sake of grouping people based on SPM/skills. My games are now running smoothly.

I believe that a pure skill based matchmaking causes lag problems for a lot of people. The majority of players have less than 1 KD. Grouping people together based on skill causes matchmaking to look for those people with above normal SPM all over the world. That's the reason why you get paried with people who are thousands of miles away from you. Playing with people with similar skill who are that far away ensures lag.

I used to see people on my lobby with the clan tag [MEX]. They're Mexicans and I'm from Toronto. They are some 1900 miles away from me and I lag when I used to get games like that.

WKMMS

I play mostly Domination, KC and Hardpoint and my SPM is around the 300 mark across the board there.  I see the same sort of SPM variations as you, but usually the KDRs are somewhere between 0.8 - 1.5 but average around 1.1.  I'd read the article JeepChick posted previously, but as there is no mention of which specific criteria are used in the skill portion of matchmaking I assumed that it had more to do with KDR rather than SPM due to the greater consistency of KDRs in my lobbies rather than the wildly fluctuating SPMs. 

Maybe this explains why there aren't as many players online as in MW3. The casuals will lose interest in the game when they get destroyed left and right from players who abuse the matchmaking system.

Great job Vahnderhaar & Treyarch.

jeepchick

Take a look at this article on how matchmaking works from Support. It's not soley skill based, in fact skill isn't even the first factor in matchmaking. It's good information that you might want to review.

Support has this article regarding how Matchmaking works. https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-does-matchmaking-work-in-P ublic-Match/?l=en_US&c=Game_Title%3ACall_of_Duty_Black_Ops_II&fs=Search&pn=1

Thanks!

Claire JeepChick

Moofda

No doubt that before the main weapon balancing patch the matchmaking worked differently than any other cod I've played online. No matter what game mode I played the spm of other players were always within 75 points of my spm in that game mode. I also had more lag issues as I wasn't getting matched with locals that often. I mostly play tdm but also play dom and ctf.

While it was never stated in the weapon balancing patch notes, they had to have done something in regards to matchmaking.  Im getting normal cod lobbies again in all game modes. Great players, average players, and down right noobs just trying to learn the game. Im also seeing a lot more local players which makes the game play a bit better. My buddies have noticed it as well. I primarily play solo and the difference in lobbies is huge.

Xxace789xX

Some matches, I could be killing lots of noobs yet others I'm up against kill hoarders and effective teams. After all, I noticed Foxhound was in a couple of matches I played in so far and he is just a good teammate to have.

codchamp

This game does not base skill on SPM. There are variables. but it is based heavily on K/D. SPM means nothing when it comes to skill.

Moofda

Before the patch though it seems they did base it off of SPM. I saw differing KD ratios, but the SPM was always very similar to mine.

Now it's completely mixed for me.

codchamp

The on consistent in this game for matchmaking since the start has been K/D.

I play on a full team ONLY. if i do not have 5 others online i will play MW3 or Halo 4. My team is made up of all 2.00 + K/D players. We have 1 player that has a .90 K/D and we use him for lobby leader for this purpose. It gives us games with more green random players and less skilled players.

Now is what we do for searching for games ethical? i guess not. But for all the years prior to Blops 2 the game searched for best connection and not skill. Our playstyle has always been pub stomping players in domination or spwan killing in demolition. This game is not fun unless this is how we play.

As for SPM, I sand bagged the hell out of mine, but it makes no difference when i play solo. it always pairs me with players of similar K/D

That's very weird because they only filter withing broad skill range now and KD doesn't even factor into it. Over all or per playlist

I play a lot of FFA Had a rough start with the game but quickly got the hang of it, my FFA KD is well over 2 now W/L over 3 and SPM Is almost 450 but I still get paired up with kids that have a significantly lower SPM than I do. And this is in FFA, so I think the weight they used to put on the "skill" has been removed and is now more connection based than before.

Three weeks ago the lobbys were much harder to come by and the competition was always extremely tight. Now I can actually get hit registration when I play FFA and other game types.

Moofda

Strange, I saw all sorts of different KDs before the patch, just similar SPM as well as all my buddies.  Well anyway all is back to normal for me and it's completely mixed like old times. All sorts of varying KD's as well as SPM.

RexxCastle

In other words you are saying that you dont have the skills to play against people of your skill level.  that you only have fun when you bully others around?

that says alot about you as a person in real life

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

They tweaked the matchmaking and you are now going to get a lobby filled with people of different skills. It's not like the first few weeks after launch. Treyarch did the right thing and the game is now playing smoother.

BO2's matchmaking is now similar to how matchmaking was in previous CODs. The weak ones are no longer protected from the above average players. Stop whining, man up, learn and get better instead of complaining.

codchamp

Yeah i guess you can say that. Personally i dont care what you or anyone else thinks about the way i play. It was my money that paid for the game and the group i play in all think the same way.

If you gave me a game where the connection was fair and not always at a disadvantage then maybe i would play differently. but until then i will continue to be a spawn killing fool. Also BTW dont confuse my tactics in this game with not caring for the win. That is still the most important and i will not loose a game over kills.

nflfenatic

so how do you explain the guy with 2.85kd and spm of 145 on tdm. skill? i call it corner camper. corner camping = no skill.

lPikachu

SPM means more than KD when it comes to skill xo

OMEN

for my brother before patch was good he was put in same level of skills maybe 30-50 more in spm kdr was .30 more than him his spm is like under 160 and his kdr is like .45.After patch his in lobbys with more than 8 people having a spm of more than 300 and kdr of 1.6+ thats unfair match making was better for him before and is more laggy now than before as well

Willee5586

I have a fairly low SPM (304) and a KDR of 2.15

I never seem to play anybody above like a 1.2 KDR. When I play,  I don't checkout lobbies before the match, I just play. Sometimes its a full team of what I call "feeders", but usually they are on my team. At that point its a race for me to get more kills than they get deaths.

Recent changes to the game have seem to have made it more likely to play against people of lesser skill. I don't think all those people are grouping with low SPM people just to play those lobbies. I always solo queue and get into all kinds of lobbies from feeders to tryhards. Recently though, most games are such a slaughtering that I get bored within an hour.

Try playing mercenary can't make party's in there:/ but I swear something is wrong with the in that game cause it looks like its the same exact players on the team as last game

i think treyarch just nerfed the skill gap because it led to connection issues when the gap was small. (less demographic of people=further distance between people=lag). But i see what you're saying; I have a 335 spm and a 1.53 kdr. I play domination/groundwar. recently i've been looking at the lobby leaderboard in every lobby and i am the top person 50% of the time and in the top 3 95% of time. Meanwhile the average person in the lobby has a 210-270 spm. Could it be the xmas noobs causing this?

I just wanted to say I am 37, and I am competitive as crap, but I love playing against tough competition. If someone gets the best of me, I dont go hunt them down I play my style, and I just know I have to get better. What happened to working to get good? The younger generations want everything at once. The world dont work that way why should this game. You should want to play against the best out there, otherwise how will you ever get better.

I didnt start playing Xbox360 or COD til about 6 months into MW2 being out. I had a negative K/D on there. I was horrible. Black Ops 1 came out and I got a little better I think my final K/D on there was .89, then MW3 came out and my K/D didnt really do much of an improvement. I played a lot of infected, and my final K/D on that game was .83 or so. Right now after 2 days of gameplay I am at a 1.27 and climbing. I play HCTDM,HCSND,HCCTF and was playing primarily HCFFA until it got taken off. The reason I got better cause I learned more about the game, and learned to get better. It sure as hell didnt happen overnight. Now my HCTDM K/D by itself is 1.44 and climbing, and if it gets up to 2 or 3 watch out. I aint leaving the public lobby anytime soon, as I have no time for playing in a league.

biron_w

Matchmaking is definitely broken and open to abuse. I know this because my friends have been abusing it.

I played last night with 3 friends. 1 of them is only rank 22 and the rest of us were all above prestige level 2. We set the low rank as party leader and 80% of our lobbies were full of "christmas noobs".

I'm a prestige master with a 2.7 kd 490 spm and over the last few days its bee  a joke about who I play against yesterday I got a game where the highest kd below me was a .54 I went on to go 104-6 and I just found it boring , yes the connections better but but I liked the competitive feel where dogs or swarm was an achievment :s

playerone2

i played the league play for 7 games. (solo dolo.)

Played the first 5 completely beast mode of corse. its what i am...   its what i do.

literally crapped on kids for 5 games straight. beast mode all over their face. i felt bad. i swear there was a 8 year old on the other team crying in one of the games. but he shouldnt be playing anyways. get beasted on son. but i digress.

anyways. Started rank at silver 20 or it might have been silver 40. whatever that means.

Threw me in a game 4 on my team and 6 on the other. and it stayed that way.

we lost but i had the highest k/d highest overall score and highest spm out of both teams.

dropped 20 ranks.

started the next match. once again 4 on my team. someone may or may not have been lag-switching( you never know in this game).

was unplayable.

backed out.

dropped 20 more ranks.

then proceeded to multiplayer.

was on the recieving end of the beasting for the remainder of the sesh. almost broke my controller.

never looked back.

I like playing with my friends online and I also have a high SPM. I'm not going to stop playing with them because some of them have a low SPM.

vims1990

Eh, I think people overreacting to the skill based matchmaking system in public lobbies.

From my experience playing with friends, I could give party host to any of them ranging from 200 SPM to a 500 SPM and we still end up playing specifically more to REGION than skill.

Regardless of a "skill-based matchmaking system", I've seen so many Christmas Noobs enter our lobbies even if we give party leader to a player with a SPM over 500..

kobeflesh

What a hypocritical post to the OP.

Hes complaining because he is put in rooms against players with higher spm, and thus are better players.

What does he want?  He doesnt want to play the hard players.  He wants to play the easier players.

Thats the same thing they want bro.

Why should you get to play easier players and them not?

Quit crying... you are the reason there is skill based matchmaking, cry babies that cant get better.