39 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 6:21 AM by ghamorra RSS

Do you feel like you're being forced to use certain perks

ghamorra

Not wanting to get into a debate or anything, just wanting to know what you think

As some of you might have read in the last thread I posted I've been working on getting the KSG gold and to do that I had to surrender all perks for 50 kills. This took roughly 4 matches as I got Turbine twice and the KSG really doesn't do well on that map. It was during these two games that I realized just how much perks do for you in a match

I don't want this thread to come across as me saying these perks are OP, because they're not. What I want to address is the cause for these perks being so important. I think that the underlying causes for what I've listed is taking away from the game. We shouldn't need these perks so much, we should be focusing on the gun fights and objectives, not creating a checklist of things to counter, it takes away from the game when your deaths are taken out of your hands

Blind-Eye:

Might seem a little bit whinny but the Hunter Killer and Lightening Strikes are too easy to get. I say this because I die from them all the time and not because I'm careless but rather I'm just so convenient. The Lightening Strike is quick so most of the time I'm dead before I get informed of it's arrival. The HK is a bit easier to avoid but even still it can deploy and kill in less than a second if you're close enough to the person launching it. I don't mind higher killstreaks killing me because when I do die by them I have no one really to blame but myself. They earned them so they deserve some kills. It's just having these low cost lethal streaks that I see so often that makes me feel like I can't leave home without Blind-Eye

Lightweight:

This doesn't have anything to do with performance but rather convenience. Lightweight works great for shotties, and paired with marathon really pushes the momentum and just feels great. Without it I seem to drag and the game moves so slow, and not in a slow paced sort of way but sluggish and uncomfortable. Sounds weird but running without it just makes the game feel foreign

Cold-Blooded:

This has been a hot topic recently and it really does have a place in this list. The Target Finder use is probably the highest of any attachment. I see at least 2 people using it in a lobby and they typically are the ones with three walls guarding them and only have to look straight. As mentioned several times you can pop up on the TF before you even make visual contact with the player using it. It's one of those perks that you instantly see the benefits from. The moment I took it off I was constantly see killcams decorated with pretty red diamonds

Scavenger:

This has nothing to do with players per say, everything to do with the amount of airsupport that needs taken out. I love that Scavenger now fills rockets because the UAV spam is crazy and so is the amount of CPs that show up. I eventually got fed up with constantly taking down the UAVs so I just put Ghost on and left people to fend for themselves. It's not hard to rack up 10-15 Blackout medal in a game if your dedicated

Engineering:

You really start taking this stuff for granted. Once you put Engineering on your deaths will drop by at least 3 a game, I never realized this until I had to remove it. I went weeks without the Betty Shock Charge combo making me their b*tch, once I didn't have it on I was killed by it several times a match. It doesn't matter what game mode you play, Engineering is must have or you will die way more than you should

Tac Mask:

This is one perk I haven't gotten into until recently. The stun and flash effects much stronger than any other CoD. Once I get flashed I set my controller down and go grab a drink. By the time I've come back I've either died or I'm just starting to recover from the effects. Once I put Tac Mask on I've been finding myself a lot more thirsty. It really does catch the enemy off guard too. When you hit your target with a tac grenade it's easy to assume their an easy kill, but nothing makes them rage more than getting duped

• Re: Do you feel like you're being forced to use certain perks
    WhyNoName

To me, the perks seem to be less valuable in this COD than the others and the attachments on weapons seem to be much more valuable.  I've found that running without perks to go for the gold guns/etc doesn't affect me nearly as much as the removal of attachments on guns.  I run Primary Gunfighter with Extended Mags/FMJ and either Quickdraw or Long Barrel depending on which gun I'm using.

I agree Blind Eye is very useful.  Probably more so than in any other COD due to the ease of getting air support kills at such low skill abilities.  Score based streaks means that you can easily get someone that can get an objective, robot death capability over someone utilizing gun skills.  Score streaks are a good idea, but I can't argue that it was the best idea.

HaiValPal

I feel you man, I have to throw on all of these perks so I can elminate uncontrollable deaths. Engineer is a prime example of a needed perk for me. In a perfect world, the only time I'd die would be from losing gunfights.

rlbl

I use perks that suit my gamestyle and certain game modes.

ghamorra

You don't feel there's perks that you have to use in order to function in this game?

Harv72

There are certainly some perks which I like to use on most of my classes, but I rarely find myself missing one when I switch up to a different loadout.  I've found that's really the key: max out your class slots as quickly as possible, and then have a variety of different combos ready to go depending on what game type you get thrown into and how that particular match is going.

In BO2 more than perhaps any other CoD, you also have to be careful to create your class builds so that each item compliments the others.  I see a lot of people combining Lightweight with LMGs, for example, which is just silly--that's not a rushing weapon, and unless you're some kind of MLG legit haxor you're not going to succeed by running around with one.  Use a first tier perk which better compliments that weapon, such as Flak Jacket or Hardline, or else use a weapon which better fits with Lightweight (a shotgun or SMG).  Engineer is another good example: there's little use putting Engineer on a defensive class which will rarely be encountering enemy equipment, so you're better off using a perk in that slot which compliments your gameplan (such as Tactical Mask).  In other words, instead of looking at what the perk does, it's best to focus on what the perk will do for that class.  And if you find it's not working the way you'd hoped in a particular game, you can always switch to another class.

ghamorra

Great points, I'm constantly changing up my playstyles during the game. I'm a reactive player, as Dane Cook would say I "see and assess the situatiooon". Because of this all the perks above as valuable. Some because the help me move around, others help me stay alive and limit deaths. This is why I feel like I'm being forced to use them, they are all so intrinsically valuable

Harv72

ghamorra wrote:

Great points, I'm constantly changing up my playstyles during the game. I'm a reactive player, as Dane Cook would say I "see and assess the situatiooon". Because of this all the perks above as valuable. Some because the help me move around, others help me stay alive and limit deaths. This is why I feel like I'm being forced to use them, they are all so intrinsically valuable

That's actually one of the things I like best about BO2: between the strengths of the various weapons, attachments, perks, and equipment there's always something else you want to add but don't have the point for.  In past titles it seemed like one or more slots on every class were just filled with "eh...whatever".

You could always just go for 6 perks and a Combat Axe & see what you can pick up.

scumbaggah

Yeah i really can't go without toughness, i have it on every class bar sniping class. Gives me such an edge in my gameplay (mainly rushing). When i don't use it and i'm in a cq battle one bullet hits me and my gun  jumps and aim goes haywire. Other perka i feel weird without is Dexterity and Tac Mask.

Jaggajatt187

One perk I find myself relying on is toughness, I had it on since the beginning and scavenger was unlocked so late that once I took toughness off the recoil from the flinch looked so big to me. I'm trying to wean myself off of it slowly by starting with SMG's and gonna work my way to AR's soon.

I stopped using engineer in exchange for a tactical & Lethat grenade. My old setup was Perk 1 greed Ghost/Hardline, Toughness, Perk 3 greed Tac Mask/Engineer and a primary. Now I dropped perk 3 greed and use just tac mask. This allows you to run through shock charges with no problem and if there's a betty there you can just crouch underneath it. I still fall victim to Betty's if they're place at an angle on stairs but if they're flat the person never see's you coming.

Shock charges/stuns are really aggravating they leave you defenseless for so long, I find them to be way more annoying than Betty's.

Ghost, toughness, and hardline are pretty much must use perks for me LOL I need to cut myself off. I'd use coldblooded if it didn't make the TF still go red when aimed on an enemy, now If a TF guy is sitting in a corner I turn around and run all the way around the other side of the map.

ghamorra

Jaggajatt187 wrote:

Shock charges/stuns are really aggravating they leave you defenseless for so long, I find them to be way more annoying than Betty's.

I wasn't joking, I was over a friends house and he has a mini fridge next to his TV. I got hit with a Stun and I seriously put the controler down, walked over to the fridge, got a beer, and by the time I opened it I was finally able to play again

Harv72

Jaggajatt187 wrote:

Now I dropped perk 3 greed and use just tac mask. This allows you to run through shock charges with no problem and if there's a betty there you can just crouch underneath it. I still fall victim to Betty's if they're place at an angle on stairs but if they're flat the person never see's you coming.

Pro tip: Switch back to just running Engineer, and equip EMP grenades.  You can take out a whole hallway of shocks/bettys/claymores/whatever with one EMP 'nade, gaining points for each item you destroy.  And as a bonus, you inflict a minor stun on any enemies around & take away their minimaps/reticles in the process.

Izjar11

G' first a great post!

Hunter Killer and Lightening Strikes are too easy to get. I say this because I die from them all the time

I use these two almost religiously these days, they are the most convenient when earned! To me in TDM not that easy to earn. In objective I can see the difference.

The Target Finder use is probably the highest of any attachment.

What! I avoid the target finder like Crack! once you go that route you become some addicted fool who cannot move with out it! I say NO... Avoid this attachment, regain your freedom!

Scavenger:

Enough said.

Engineering:

You really start taking this stuff for granted. Once you put Engineering on your deaths will drop by at least 3 a game, I never realized this until I had to remove it. I went weeks without the Betty Shock Charge combo making me their b*tch, once I didn't have it on I was killed by it several times a match. It doesn't matter what game mode you play, Engineering is must have or you will die way more than you should

A must have perk for me, nothing like it, nothing compared to it!

Tac Mask:

ehhhhh more a objective based perk. But overall it must be good.

My opinion on the TF is its abuse will eventually mean its down fall! Everything else ~ good to go.

YO_MOM_IS_NEXT

i have done much better since getting Ghost. i rush, so it works perfect for me. i FINALLY feel effective. before that, i got killed all the time. like a LOT.

i feel the games are a bit more fair now.

TRU11

ghost is on 8 out of 10 classes lol.

i pair it with flak jacket scavenger and tactical mask for capturing.

i use ghost and hardline scavenger and engineer for when im on a useless team and i just go for kills.

ghost blind eye coldblooded and scavenger is my destroy scorestreak class

got a flak jacket hardline scavenger and tactical mask class when im with a good party.

got a class with ghost scavenger coldblooded and engineer when i play againdt TF lol.

EMP grenades, thropy system and claymore are a few things i take with me next to a primary and RPG lol

kastro187420

I don't have Ghost yet, but that'll be going on every class once I hit 55, and I'll be perma-unlocking it too when I prestige.

In terms of the other perks, I find myself using Blind Eye and Cold Blooded a lot.. especially Cold Blooded. All these crutches in the game making it super easy to find people is a bit silly, especially since they're such low-level items. Blind Eye I use because of all the Hunter-Killers going out.

The others I don't mind too much if I don't have. Extreme Conditioning is nice, and so is Engineer, but I can get by without them well enough I think.

Shadow_Alq

Personally just 2 Perks are truly mandatory for me: Hardline and Scavenger. I also like Engineer a lot but I cant use it all the time (due to Equipement use).

Flat Jacket: its very useful BUT I really prefer using a Trophy System. It has so much advantages when compared to Flat Jacket: it "eats" the explosives protecting you 100% (not 60%); it gives you Score (which Flat Jacket doesnt give) and it also helps your team (while Flat Jacket doesnt). So I just stopped using Flat Jacket!

Blind Eye: I used it a bit in the beginning but didnt see on it a big advantage. Stealth choppers are difficult to avoid (thats true) but if we are talking about a DragonFire an EMP grenade can easily destroy it (and I always have one of those with me )

Cold Blooded: I used this Perk religiously in the first weeks. I thought it gave me the advantage that Assassin gave us on MW3: not having our name written on Red letters, and to be able to avoid Target Finders. BUT then I saw the usual CoD mess: sometimes the Perks arent really functioning, and this is true. I started seeing people using for exemple other Perks on Perk 2 (not Cold-Blooded) and they were totally dark and invisible like they were using Cold-Blooded (which they werent, I saw on Killcams). I waas also still picked by Target Finders a lot of times. So I gave up on it and just run Scavenger on Perk 2 now. Not much of a difference to be honest!

BukLau101

Definately Cold blooded (damn target finders) often I have to give up toughness for it though

Also engineer to avoid and EMP/Hack that annoying danger close+bouncing betty+shock charge combo

sennalike

Perk usefulness is very much reliant on what the enemy has in their locker.  Some examples -

You use ghost, but the enemy dont have UAV in their set up, you wasted a perk.

You use flak jacket, but the enemy dont use explosives against you, you wasted a perk.

You use Engineer but the enemy dont plant any equipment, you wasted a perk.

You use cold blooded, the enemy dont use target sights, you wasted a perk.

You use tactical mask, but the enemy dont throw any tactical grenades, you wasted a perk.

Of course it is vice versa, if you use these perks and the enemy does use these attacks then you win big time.  It all boils down to a couple of things.  First is luck, what the enemy does aganst you.  Second is your own skill in setting up classes and being able to switch to the necessary and most useful class at the earliest opportunity in the match.  Have the right class for the right stuation and you sing the praises of the perks; assuming you also have the awareness to realise that you would have died a lot more had you not had the perks you had.  Have the wrong class for the situation and you will be on here saying how useless the perk is; failing to realise what you did wrong.

steel_talonz

I blame the people complaining about the pro perks in previous CoDs...

BukLau101

Pro perks were just an overcomplication, a grind which stopped people prestiging and gave those with pro perks an advantage other those who didn't. Atleast now everyone is on a level playing field in relation to perks.

steel_talonz

Most of the pro perks only served secondary purposes though. There is no such thing as a "level" playing field due to the assortment of perks in all of the CoDs. The only "level" playing field is taking out perks from CoD all together, but I do not support that idea though.

BukLau101

It is a level playing field, everyone has the same perks rather than a perk and than that perk having a secondary function (which is sometimes better than its primary function MW3 sitrep pro for example), it's up to us to decide which perks are best for us and what situations they work best in.

Harv72

To a point it's a level playing field now, but you still have people on lower levels who don't have everything unlocked, or people without certain attachments unlocked for their weapons.  In older CoDs anyone could have any perk regardless of their level, but then it took time & often effort to unlock the "pro" version.

BukLau101

That was the great thing about COD points, you could unlock the attachments you wanted whenever you wanted them. Anyway personally I feel having no pro perks has helped perk balance alot.

Harv72

I agree, and also that having to "earn" the pro perks prevented a lot of people from prestiging.  My main account is still level 55/prestige 1 on BO1 because I just didn't want to go through the effort of re-earning Tac Mask & Flak Jacket pro again.

I actually kind of miss the CoD points, but I see why they went with the system they did in BO2.  First off, having to advance in ranks before you can unlock certain items forces you to experiment a bit more with other things, plus of course the way the system is set up you cannot unlock everything unless you get to Prestige Master.  That, plus the permanent unlock tokens and the fact that your challenges don't reset when you prestige, is making far more players prestige.  And that tends to keep the playing field relatively level, at least through the first couple months of the game's life (or would, were it not for the prestige glitches).

phxs72

Perks do have some obvious advantages but I've been using more of a variety of them in this game than any other before it simply because none of them provide that better above all else advantage.

On a side note, I've also found it interesting just how well you can do with SMGs and ARs without any attachments.  Sure we all have our favorite setups but I've done quite a few no perk/no attachment challenges in the past few weeks and I think that I actually play better in a lot of cases without the attachments to depend on.  I'm probably just more focused knowing that I don't have fast mags or a silencer to save me but regardless I was suprised by the results.

mrtmb55

Yep engineer is a must have perk for me as well. it really provides me with much needed info on where they are hiding. you mentioned that you need 50 kills for the ksg for gold, well I'm going for the fal and you need 150 kills for gold. Geez it's driving me nuts, lol.

The rest of the perks are nice but I really miss my engineer.  I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't be trying to do both no atttachments and no perks at the same time as running with just a gun and gernades puts me at way too much of a disadvantage. Hmmm.

I feel like Im forced to have engineer because of all the betty and shock charge spamming and also forced to use clod blooded because of the target finder. The most aggravating thing about it is that you actually still show red and they get an indication with the target finder when your using cold blooded, the just dont get the diamond. That needs to change. But yes those I feel like Im forced to use. I also have to use toughness, but thats becasue of that way I play, but because of that I need to use a wildcard for cold blooded.

Empero_-

Toughness and engineer a must for me.

I don't necessarily feel that there is a must for any perk in this game. I feel that it mainly depends on your game play style rather than the reaction to other players. I looked at the explanation for Cold Blooded that the OP gave and I just lol'ed.

The game maps are designed to have different routes for different weapons. I see the target finders in abundance on Plaza but they are the easiest to counter on that map. Target Finders are good for straight-on gunbattles. I'll use Plaza as my example for creativity:

Mr. LMG with Target Finder is guarding the B flag from the bottom spawn utilizing a cross route through the opening to side or by jumping down from the backside or frontside of the sniper perch. The easiest way to counter this man is to flank through the club either through the 1st opening after the B flag or through the back spawn. Any class with Lightweight and Dexterity/Extreme Conditioning should be able to accomplish this painlessly as long as you have a concussion grenade.

The thing about target finders is that you have to utilize their inability to use peripherals and their ability or tendency to camp one way for a good 10-15 seconds. That's enough time to sneak through and get behind or besides them for the easy kill, that's assuming there is more than one entrance.

Now back to the original discussion after a quick example. I feel that this should be labeled as a convenience and not as a need. I can run around with no perks or attachments to garner gold guns and still go positive, it's not going to be pretty but I can get it done. That being said, I do like some perks just for a desired effects. I'll try to rank them:

Rush:

1. Ghost

2. Extreme Conditioning

3. Lightweight (it's moved to 1 for shotguns, with SMG's it allows me to think a bit more about where I want to attack)

4. Dexterity (love this, it could move up)

5. Hardline

Defend:

1. Dexterity (feel it's better for long range)

2. Hardline

3. Ghost

4. Blind Eye

5. F-Jacket

CKM:

1. Dexterity

2. Lightweight

3. Ghost

Objective:

1. Tac Mask

2. F-Jacket

3. Everything else is pretty even

Thembones

I still think that hunter killer is the main reason why i die in the middle of a streak. I shouldnt have to run blind eye because that perk is downright useless, unless im bringing down a stealth chopper. Its like the predator missle from mw2 and mw3.