21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 5:45 PM by BornJose59 RSS

Matchmaking is the problem NOT lag compensation

goldy_hua

We have all been there... Unload half a clip into a guy only to have him turn around and drop you with 2 shots... Safely sprint around a corner only to die... Etc.

Lets take a step back and look at the root problem here.... Lag compensation only comes into play AFTER players have been thrown into a lobby. Lag compensation is simply a band-aid for poor matchmaking.  If the game did a better job of matching players (based on connection speed and ping times to the host) we would never have a reason to complain about lag compensation because it would be irrelevant.

I would gladly wait 5 minutes to find a well matched game rather then being chucked in game with a poor connection instantly.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else on this forum. We are all pissed for the same reason.... we want this game to be fun!!!

Complaining about lag compensation is simply unproductive. The unpleasant truth is that lag compensation is a necessary evil of online gaming. Lets face it Treyarch will never flip a switch and turn off lag compensation no matter how much we all complain. Lets focus our energy on pressuring Treyarch to address the REAL problem.... Matchmaking

• Re: Matchmaking is the problem NOT lag compensation

i agree with you at the moment im constantly playing against foreign players and its unplayable for me but when i first played this game i had no problems i was being matched with people from my country and was having no lag stress free games. Anyway the devs have messed up somewhere with the patch or doing summat server side i dont know but the lag needs fixing rapidly or risk alot of people not playing the game again because the numbers of people playing right now is going down very quick.

goldy_hua

I was frustrated with the matchmaking process BEFORE it came to light that the matchmaking in public games are skill based by nature.  So not only are they having a difficult time matching players to create the best possible connection they are throwing "skill based"  criteria into the equation.

It explains why i have my search preference set to "Best" but im still thrown into games that are full of 3 bar connections.

If the connection in this game was buttery smooth I would likely not be complaining about the skill based match making but the truth is the game in its current state is not alot of fun.  We need Treyarch to focus on cleaning up the connection in public games.

Isnt the whole point of League Play to give the people who WANT skill based match making the opportunity to be challenged??? Skill based match making doesnt belong in public matches!

Problem here is that it is not geolocked.

Once they geolock their matchmaking (locales basically) the most extreme lag compensation will be done with.

OR they can remove the skill based matchmaking (it's the reason why you're getting to people from regions and regions away).

One of two of the above will happen and they won't admit it directly.

Remember when MW3 updated their geolocation matchmaking database? BINGO, less people complaining about lag comp.

Krack_Kills

You have a very valid point with this post.  I too set my match making option to "Best" but now see lobbies with lots of 3 bar and sometimes a 2 bar connection or 2.  When the game first came out, I seemed to have tons of 4 bar lobbies and had no problems.   But after a few hard patches and however many soft patches, seems that things are only getting worse.  Yet my pings remain in the low 30's to servers across the US when testing to make sure something hasn't changed on my end.  I have seen games with lots of people from East Coast, West Coast, Mexico,Canada, Hawaii which are all at least 800-1000 miles or more away and we all have 4 bar connections, but I definitely lose the battle against these players.  So either Mexican and Canadian players are all COD Superstars or there is an issue with being paired with someone from one of our neighboring countries.

Sadly, this is attempt #2 and FAIL #2 for Treyarch.  There are some amazing aspects of the game but the multiplayer is so jacked up for the 2nd time around, I'm just not even putting the disc in bc gameplay is so unpredictable currently.  It will probably take them months to iron out basic gameplay issues just like in Black Ops.  At least I have MW3, Battlefield 3 and MOH

mcdonamw

The underlying problem is there are not enough people playing to have good/great matchmaking (for all that play the game) and subsequently, the code in place to help mitigate the issues with broad-scoped matchmaking, ala Lag Compensation, is very poor in design and not able to properly mitigate it as intended.

Geolocking is not a solution.  It would help some, that have large player populations, but it would severely hurt those countries with lesser populations. 

Further, this problem is exacerbated by the increasing drop in overall player population.  I remember in BO1 I used to see over 1 million people playing at any given weeknight.  I haven't seen it over 500k for BO2.  That's half the usual population from back then.  AND.. even with the 1 mil+ in BO1, the lag comp issues were heavily present then, further leading to the theory that a lot of the problem is simply with the network code itself.

Ultimately it's in a vicious circle now.  Poor game play/design decisions are leading to lower player base, which further harms gameplay.

Note:  I'm not insinuating the game itself is why there are lower player numbers than before.  MW3 and Halo4 are out which have substantial numbers of people as well.  (other games too).  I just mean to say IW/Treyarch/Activision are not helping their cause.  Fix the issues and you just might get greater numbers of participation (though this again may mask the overall network code issues again, but anything is better as this point!).

I'm in England and have matchmaking set to Best, so please tell me why it makes sense to put me in a lobby with three people from Japan, two from France, two from Germany, two from Portugal and only three of us are from England. I don't give a **** if they're my skill level or not. There must be at least 50,000 people from England playing, MATCH ME WITH THEM

mcdonamw

I think the search preferences only works for you when you're searching for a lobby to join.  Once you're in a lobby someone else looking for a lobby with "any" set for their preferences can find you.

Also I believe it searches for the connection between you and the host... it doesn't care about whatever people are in a party with the host so if they have friends invited and they are from other countries, you can still get matched with that host and his party.

goldy_hua

This is all conjecture… but I believe that the match making process STARTS with the skill based search then it "tries" to finds the best connection among those people that have similar KD\SPM.

It’s the only explanation I have for being thrown in a lobby with 3 bar connections all the while we everyone’s SPM is within 100 points. 

SitRepPro

goldy_hua wrote:

This is all conjecture… but I believe that the match making process STARTS with the skill based search then it "tries" to finds the best connection among those people that have similar KD\SPM.

It’s the only explanation I have for being thrown in a lobby with 3 bar connections all the while we everyone’s SPM is within 100 points. 

Yes but when have people from all of the world in a single lobby it adds to the latency.  Plus the guy you responded to did mention coutnries that are still quite well populated.  I don't know how many people in each country play BO2 online though.  I've seen an American say the same thing when he gets put into Mexican lobbies.

gallp13

Matchmaking Patch in the Wings

First evidence comes to light for PC, consoles to follow?

@pcdev: Good morning! We are working on a patch, tweaking matchmaking, sorting through your tweets and posts, and always swinging the banhammer.

Source: twitter 29 Nov 2012

goldy_hua

Im going to go out on a limb and guess that some matchmaking tweaks were made with this last patch. Since the patch I had nearly zero connection issues. I also noticed that the "skill" of the people I'm matched against appears to be more varied... played some really good players and some other players that still need a little practice :)

I have about 2 days in the game and this past weekend was by far the most fun I had in this game.

Maybe it was a fluke. Maybe it's just a placebo effect of the new patch... But I really hope it keeps going this way.

Did other people see matchmaking/connection improvement following the latest patch?