25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2012 7:03 AM by cottonsocks RSS

Something seems better in regards to lag.

zingaa

Since this patch this morning I've played roughly 40 domination games and all have them have been smooth as silk. I've had more fun this morning then the entire life of this game. No parties, switched lobbies numerous times and still incredibly smooth (not one rage quit)....Please don't let me jinx it by saying it.

Was there a matchmaking fix added that I didn't see? Something else? I'm like a new man

• Re: Something seems better in regards to lag.

Have to admit I've also had the same cracking experience today, literally the best run of games I've had since I started. I think its partly down to actually getting a solid feel for the spawns, map flow and picking the right perks and attatchments as I was experimenting a lot and finally nailed down a few class setup I really like last night. More crucially I also discovered bloody "gaming mode"/interleaving was somehow mistakenly switched on in my ISP settings so I promptly switched it off last night. But I remain neutral in knowing it may get wobbly again. MW3 taught me to expect 180 degree sessions!

gallp13

Which region are you playing within?

update this thread in a week and tell us how it goes...every OP that has said they tried a fix or something they come back within a week and say its a complete failure.

i haven't noticed any news about matchmaking fix's but i too have been having a much better overall multiplayer experience since the patch this morning. my shots have been registering spot on, i haven't had to empty a whole clip into a guy just to kill him, everything has been sliky smooth, and boy am i having a blast with the game right now . perhaps they have been secretly working on the matchmaking issues via hotfixes? i dont know but whatever there doing its curving my opinion of this game, im having a pleasent fun experience right now....but hopefully this thread wont jinx it..

myn

After a couple of hours playing on the new 1.4 patch (23.424.10 server) I'm gaining my confidence back.  I Didn't experience near the lag that I was previously.  It plays very smooth like the first day.   There is a noticeable difference in the matchmaking process too.  It took a lot longer then normal to find a host while my lobby setting was on "Best".   Once the lobby was established though, lots of familiar "[OSU], [OHIO], [614] clan tags which I didn't see much of before the patch.

The mechanics have changed quite a bit too.  You rarely hear UAV's going up any more.  I originally thought that would have been camper promoting but so far, it's really toned down the frequency in which I am getting killed.

I haven't noticed a big difference in SMG performance.  Part of this may be because the lag comp is gone now or maybe because I've only been playing small maps.

In any case, I've got a smile on my face again for COD.  This patch really seemed to fix things.  Hopeful the lag comp fix is permanent and isn't just a random fluke.

I played several HC TDM games and found the lag worse, and the SMG useless, though that could be due to the lag.

Enemy pops onto the screen only after I die. Just like MW3 and the first BOP.

It was better before the patch. At least I could get a few good lag free games in before the lag took over.

codplayer85

Game has been running great today and I have noticed same as myn, that i have seen lots more people from my region, i am also from ohio. I have seen more people from here just today then i have noticed since game was out might just be me tho.

ghorman

100% agree, it's been running great today.

zingaa

Coming up on 24 hours now and it's still smooth as could be, I even played last night with over 600,000 players on-line, still smooth. I didn't change a thing, running dynamic address (not running static or dmz), normal search setting.

Gallip, how do I determine what region I'm in? Dumb question I know

for you guys who are having less lag post patch are you presuming that the patch addressed lag and 3arc chose to not mention it?  there is zero mention of matchmaking, connectivity, hit detection, lag/ lag comp in the patch notes.  coincidence perhaps?

zingaa

stinklemange wrote:

for you guys who are having less lag post patch are you presuming that the patch addressed lag and 3arc chose to not mention it?  there is zero mention of matchmaking, connectivity, hit detection, lag/ lag comp in the patch notes.  coincidence perhaps?

I understand that, thats why I asked if there was something I missed. All I have to say is it is better now then it has ever been, ever. I'm at roughly 60ish games since yeterday and have yet to have a laggy game and I've changed nothing. I don't know if the patched had a "hidden" fix, but something definitley changed for me

There's speculation that the parameters for "skill based" matchmaking have been either significantly adjusted or removed altogether. This has the double effect of better connectivity and less stressful matches so it's beleivable but it's still speculation, no confirmation from Treyarc. Regardless the game is still running fine so far compared to my pre-patch experience. Will keep an eye on it though, things could always change.

ghorman

I know there wasn't anything in the patch notes but all my friends are reporting the same thing I am.  The game is 100% better on connections right now.

SheSaidNo

Mine went from bad to worse as far as lag.  But I haven't seen any 1 or 2 bar people in my lobbies anymore.  I was going to give it another try to see if it was the time I was playing at.

Good before patch.

Bad since patch.

Expect they're just tweaking the matchmaking/lag issues. Hopefully.

(fibre, 50 u/l 14 d/l

ping of 23ms)

zingaa

Coming up on a week now and still very smooth,  I'm not sure what changed but something did for the better, at least for me..

I've  had a handful of somewhat bad games but those weren't even close to how it was and they were at least playable.

wired, dynamic, no ports opened, 50\10mb, 75 ping 1600 miles....

California

otisman666

It's just a placebo effect.  People are being put into easier lobbies because their SBMM is being dropped closer to the average now. 

But wait Otis, I am still seeing a visible difference in the game play! 

Well of course you are, we all know that those that "win" the battle of the connections are the ones that prosper in this game.  You are no longer facing those players and thus, your connection is on a somewhat level playing ground.

Once you do well enough for SBMM to match you back up with the connection winners, you will be back on here complaining.

zingaa

otisman666 wrote:

It's just a placebo effect.  People are being put into easier lobbies because their SBMM is being dropped closer to the average now. 

But wait Otis, I am still seeing a visible difference in the game play! 

Well of course you are, we all know that those that "win" the battle of the connections are the ones that prosper in this game.  You are no longer facing those players and thus, your connection is on a somewhat level playing ground.

Once you do well enough for SBMM to match you back up with the connection winners, you will be back on here complaining.

I think you're the only one who knows what you're talking about .

what a bullshit. its black ops his fault. its not because he became better or was put in easyer lobies. like yesterday i had a game with 3 guys with diamond snipers and i had shotgun on nuketown. first half of the game they always quick scoped me bevore i could pull my trigger and was like "omfg there good!" then the second half everything started to change now they were dead by me bevore they could quick scope me. and its not once or twice iti got from 10- 18 to 35 - 24.  none of us became better just i suddenly got put on the right side of the connection.

zingaa

Well it was great while it lasted, but the lag appears to be back for me...Not as bad as in the beginning, but still really bad. Can't drop anyone, entire clip into a player and they get me with one shot. Totally lopsided teams, one team way positive while the other way negative and all good players...Started  deteriorating Sunday and has gotten progressivley worse. I might have to hate this game again.

phxs72

It's still working fine for me.  I ran into a guy last night in one lobby that was moving around like he was running lightweight and juiced all the time but other than that it's been pretty even.  Sometimes I lose gun fights that I think that I should have won but other times I win gunfights that I think that I should have lost.  Most of the time, however, they end the way that I think that they should.

cottonsocks

Ha ha ha i was waiting for you to go back on your words, i have just done the same thing on a different forum about fifa 13 online play. 

I got fibre optic installed on friday and fifa was great for the first few days but now its back to slow laggy play....

At the minute on 38meg down 2 up and ping at 18 this game is just wank for me, i join a game and before i know it it makes me host and its unplayable.

I get better game play when i connect via my mobile phone wifi hotspot with a ping of 200.

Seems every game i have bought in the last 2 years plays crap online