40 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2013 9:24 AM by thebiindsniper RSS

Why is my connection so bad in Black Ops 2?

iamjustjohny

I have never had any real connection problems while playing cod, from COD4 to MW3 never. Now with Black Ops 2 I am never over a 3 bar bs connection. Some games two yellow bar. I have good internet and have the stupid settings set to best. Can anybody please help me with some info because I am just losing interest in this game because of the bad connection. And it's not just me never can anybody in our parties get a good solid connection, i'm so sick of getting four or five hitmarkers and then I die and the killcam shows I didn't even get a bullet off. What's the point ? From a very sad gaming man.

• Re: Why is my connection so bad in Black Ops 2?
    JetEye

Do you play solo or in a party.  I find playing solo to give you better connections.  What is your NAT?  You could always try closing your ports.

vims1990

JetEye wrote:

Do you play solo or in a party.  I find playing solo to give you better connections.  What is your NAT?  You could always try closing your ports.

Good point.

@OP

If you're playing in a party, the connectivity depends on your party leader as the game picks matches from the party host's connection/region.

i.e. Say you're using the party host from the UK and you're from the US, the matches will be based in the UK, not the US which explains the 2 or 3 bar connection.

If you're having the same problems solo, I don't know what is going on unfortunately.

Out of curiousity, what is your NAT type, are you on a wired/wireless connection?

A Moderate/Strict NAT type can influence who you're being matchmaked with and wireless isn't reliable when it comes to online gaming.

The same thing happens to me its so insnae... i am playing with my ethernet cable directly in my playstation every other game like mw3 or black ops 1 i never had any problems but now with Black ops 2 i allways get yellow bars Always... and when i get green bars i get some really awesome scores but that happens once in a blue moon.... i hope they can fix this cause its freakin ridiculous... i was hoping that with this last update they fixed it but really nothings changed...

LAG COMPENSATION. It ruins the game doesnt it.

its not its all in our heads change your search settings back to normal every tom **** and harry has changed search settings to best so you just searching in normal mode drop back to normal and you will find a better percentage of games trust me i know and as for lag it as stated so many times on here europe has all bein classed as local if you live in uk it dont matter if you have a 1000meg conection fiber or adsl point is as soon as you end up in a lobby with just 1 french german or so on forget your super fast conection as you drop on to the old copper telegraph cables laid under the channel to connect there end bear in mind these cables were laid in the early 1900s some one will come on here and dis my exsplanation of the cables under the chanel and the 1 s that run out of holy head to america but as i worked in the industery for a few years trust me this whats happening the only way to bring it better is to allow us to search uk only games then the problem is caused by our inferstructure ie over loaded bad hosts and so on

myevo8you

Here is what I want you to do. Go to the MAIN MP menu, and select options by pressing A. At the bottom of the screen there is a statement that says "press select (or back) for system info" This shows what your bandwith is on the game. If it is ANYTHING under 10,000 kbps, your interent speed is what is the problem. If it IS at 10,000 KBPS and your NAT is moderate or strict this is the cause of your problems.

myevo8you wrote:

Here is what I want you to do. Go to the MAIN MP menu, and select options by pressing A. At the bottom of the screen there is a statement that says "press select (or back) for system info" This shows what your bandwith is on the game. If it is ANYTHING under 10,000 kbps, your interent speed is what is the problem. If it IS at 10,000 KBPS and your NAT is moderate or strict this is the cause of your problems.

and here is were the problem lies for the uk population of gamers as we drop to a adsl connection and ive not seen one to date that can manage 5,kbps hence our laggy games with rest of europe

nightpr0wler76

That number is usually just your upload bandwidth...it has no bearing on how good your connection is to the game and if it will be playable. I dont even know why they bother putting that number on there, it serves no real purpose.

myevo8you wrote:

The above is nonsensical and total misinformation. As mentioned that figure purely relates to UPSTREAM BANDWIDTH. And I cannot even begin to imagine where you got the whole "If you don't have 10000KBPS thats your problem"  Can you explain the thinking behind this? I'm keen to know how you came to such a conclusion. Was it from some idiot Youtuber (the source of most misinformation and BS these days).

For the record you can connect to xbox live and play any COD game with considerably less than even 500kbps Up and Downstream.  The game itself uses no more than 50kbps of data both ways during play if your not host. Saying "You need 10 meg upstream or you'll get lag" is crazy talk and will confuse uninformed people. Hope that clears things up for you.

maccabi

myevo8you wrote:

Please dont post inaccurate and factually incorrect information.

First off that isn't speed thats bandwidth.

Secondly the ONLY time bandwidth comes into play is for hosting and then its just upload bandwidth.

to play normally this game will hardly ever go above 0.04mbs of bandwidth usage during play if you aren't host.

Inb4TheMaccabster.

maccabi

RatedM wrote:

Inb4TheMaccabster.

according to the timestamps on our posts we both posted at the same time..

on my screen i posted first

flipping lag comps ruining the flipping forums now , im not posting anymore im going to post on facebook it has dedicated servers.

maccabi wrote:

I agree, please do not post inaccurate information.

BTW, maccabi, we are waiting in the other thread for you to reply with an explanation, and verifiable data, and/or correct the misinformation you have been spreading. 

maccabi wrote:

myevo8you wrote:

First off that isn't speed thats bandwidth.

Secondly the ONLY time bandwidth comes into play is for hosting and then its just upload bandwidth.

to play normally this game will hardly ever go above 0.04mbs of bandwidth usage during play if you aren't host.

maccabi...

Just another friendly reminder here. Please do as you say, do not post inaccurate information. We are still waiting your reply on DNS servers having an effect on routing. We are kindly waiting for the data that supports your claim or your clarification on the inaccurate information you posted.  =)

Please dont take this as any thing but someone trying to help , but i just got through setting up my router as proposed in mccabbi's post and from initial testing it seems to have helped.

I resisted tweaking my router and xbox for the longest time but reached a point that became so frustrating that I decided to give it a try. Maybe this can help you.Goodluck.

There is no incentive for people to have a good speedy internet anymore.  With them going overboard on lag compensation, people with poorer connections and speed have the advantage.  This needs to be reversed.  Lag compensation is never going away, but it needs to be tweaked so that hosts and speedy connections have a very small advantage, otherwise the lagfest will continue to get worse and worse.  I am not even going to mention the lag switches.  It is really a shame.  If they came out and said that we are going to change this to give people with better speed and connections a slight advantage, you just watch how much better things would get.  No more hosting complaints, people would no longer modify router settings or run torrent downloads while playing.  The company needs to wake up and create the incentive for good fast internet not slow laggy connections.

They are useing out dated netcode that can't keep up with all the high speed interwebz

KoRny1

You have a bad connection because of 2 reasons (most likely)

1. The game is making to play with people that are not local (not even close) and so you won't be able to connect to them as well.

2. There is a feature called Lag Compensation that is coded poorly and needs to be tweaked. I think it also has to do with the game making people host based on bad logic.

MLGTWISTED

i sometimes get 3bar connection even with best connection settin chosen.  just got to wait for them to patch it.

pr0-sn1p3r-007

Idiot.. 3 bar is the standard connection if you're not the host. The host gets 4 bars, everybody else gets 3 bars (if he's good)

Can we all just ignore the lag bars? On every other CoD I have had a 3 bar connection. ALWAYS. Unless I get host, then I get 4, and everyone else gets 3.

So why all of a sudden do I get 4 bars in most lobbies? It still lags just as much as the other games do and my ping on PC games is 100~.

From this, I conclude that Treyarch are liars, and have window dressed the connection issues. My ADSL uses an old exchange, and I have contacted my ISP who can't really help with ping issues, so have Treyarch managed to do what my ISP couldn't? Highly doubtful.

Conclusion: Full green bars can mean up to, and probably over, 100 ping. (That's alot, and calling that good is very misleading)

AHaras

i heard a stat reset speeds up your connection a lot.

nflfenatic

How do you get hit markers if you never even shot. Doesn't add up. Hit markers are generated on the host xbox.

Dude last night was beyond rediculous as far as trying to play a game goes. Usually I can handle the connection interuption, but randomly in the middle of shooting. Freeze.......Back to lobby "Connection to host lost" and it wasnt like a blowout game either, we lose the entire lobby 2 or 3 people at a time. smh. Happened like 4 times! I don't mind the bs kills/deaths. I litterally JUST WANT TO PLAY!

Please help me with this man. I have 7 Mbps Download Speed and 3.8 Mbps Upload Speed with 20ms Ping. I'm playing on Xbox and I can never be host. When I change the search preferences to "BEST" or "NORMAL" I cannot find a lobby or either players. I can only play on "ANY" which I am really really bad and I want to fix that. There's something to do. Thanks a lot!

Please help me with this man. I have 7 Mbps Download Speed and 3.8 Mbps Upload Speed with 20ms Ping. I'm playing on Xbox and I can never be host. When I change the search preferences to "BEST" or "NORMAL" I cannot find a lobby or either players. I can only play on "ANY" which I am really really bad and I want to fix that. There's something to do. Thanks a lot!

thecodmaster99

i have the same problem with you + black ops 2 does have VERY **** CONNECTION and what i would do is trade 9in the game and just play MW3  coz that is what i have done

Schoat333

I have a 19 second ping on TWC, and still get crappy games every once in a while. I noticed that I can usually grab host if I leave the search option on normal tho. When I change it to best I am rarely the host.

The problem with this is, when I am not the host with it set to normal, the games can be really bad. Like being shot around corners, and dead before I even see anyone, then kill cam shows them right in front of me.

thebiindsniper

This why connections are bad in Black Ops 2:

1. People who are still using DSL.

2. Wifi signals being hogged by others in the house.

3. A Wifi connection being used from a neighbor's house or a local McDonalds.

4. People who are intentionally reducing their connections to gain the mythical advantage.

5. Modems and routers being made of cardboard and being powered by a hamster in a wheel.

The point is, even if someone has excellent connection, they'll always be hindered by people who have a bad connection consisting of the list above.  Then again, if everybody in the country had good connection, then there wouldn't be any lag.

~RUGGED SAVIOR