20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 9:07 PM by Rednecksniper39 RSS

Could it be the beginning of the end?

Rednecksniper39

Now I now some people do not like the Spike VGA's but this is the first time since WaW that a COD game has not won "Best Shooter" or "Best Multiplayer." Black Ops 2 left without a single award. I know there is more game awards to come bust is it possible that with no awards and the low player reviews with will finally see the end? Yes the game sells more and more every year but is this year the year when people finally have enough? I believe it could be. Anyone have other opinions?

• Re: Could it be the beginning of the end?

I ******* hope so Treyarch has been making shitty games since WAW and they have been getting worse each year. After the flop that was the BLOPS one release I was hoping Acitivision would ditch them for a more competant game developer, with BLOPs 2 being even worse it has to be a sure thing since Infinity Ward got the boot after MW2 which IMO is the second best game released yet.

Their lack of comments regarding the problems that are rampant in the game and David Vanderhaar being an arrogant prick posting **** that is irrelevant to the game on the twitter account and only retweeting the "I FUCKIN LUV THIS GAME TREYARCH IT MAKZ ME SO HARD!" tweets but neglecting the ones asking about possible future fixes is less than admirable.

Couple that with He has a player model that is over 50% of the player models loaded in per team and you quickly see how big his ego is.

He even named the ship on Hijacked after himself.

He needs the boot, Treyarch need to get the boot and Activision needs to rework the entire series and go back to the basics before I ever lay hands on a COD game again.

I agree, I can't play this crap for more than a couple of games, and i've liked all the other cod games.  However, the founders of infinity ward have strayed from activision.  Now, they've started Respawn Entertainment, which will probably put the CoD series to rest once and for all.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

We will see next year. The franchise is on a decline for two years in a row. It's height came in BO1 and it's on a steady decline ever since. Initial first day sales increased but BO2 failed to beat MW3's first week sales just like MW3 failed to beat BO1's.

IW will have their hands full next year with MW4. XBOX 720 will be out and sales will also depend on the adoption rate of the new console. I don't know how they will do it. I mean, are they going to release two versions? One for the 360 and one for the 720?

Next year will be tougher as BF4 will come out. I'm pretty sure Dice will use a lot of COD's formula to appeal more to the masses. The game is already under-rated and it's good. If they release more CQC maps then it will attract more COD crowd. I would like them to have a full-blown perk system and some sort of a killstreak system and not just vehicles.

I'm also waiting for what Respawn have for 2014. They will go head to head with Treyarch and BO3. I hope they will have a killer FPS and bring a formidable challenge to the COD franchise.

omg Black Ops 3?...i nearly spit my drink up...

Rednecksniper39

Look at the games the original IW put out compared to Treyarch. There was no comparison. Not to mention that they put out the last COD to win GOTY. I think that once respawn gets up and running COD won't even be in the running for top FPS anymore.

r8edtripx

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

We will see next year. The franchise is on a decline for two years in a row. It's height came in BO1 and it's on a steady decline ever since. Initial first day sales increased but BO2 failed to beat MW3's first week sales just like MW3 failed to beat BO1's.

Black Ops 2 reached the 1 billion dollar mark in 15 days, which beats the previously held record of 16 days by Modern Warfare 3. As far as sales go, Call of Duty is still king.

The Video Game Award results could be a sign that this is the beginning of the end, but I feel the end is still a few years away.

When I'm not experiencing lag in Black Ops 2, I'm loving the game. I think Treyarch has done a great job, with the obvious exception of the lag issues. Without the lag issues, I think Black Ops 2 is SICK!!

your loving the game because you are not laggin but everyone else is...giving you easy kills?...then you sir are the one who the game was made for...if i am not laggin and others are the game is still very unfun...

And dont be fooled by that magical 1 billion number...thats gross sales NOT net sales...which means Activsion could have spent 3 billion on advertising and hype to fool alot of people...and it worked....

r8edtripx

lagopz wrote:

your loving the game because you are not laggin but everyone else is...giving you easy kills?...then you sir are the one who the game was made for...if i am not laggin and others are the game is still very unfun...

Lol. No, I'm not saying that I only think Black Ops 2 is fun when I pull beast numbers because I'm on the good side of lag. What I'm saying is that the core of what Black Ops 2 is as a game (MP) is great. I feel Black Ops 2 is a great game, if not for the lag issues.

starbuckfrack

lagopz wrote:

And dont be fooled by that magical 1 billion number...thats gross sales NOT net sales...which means Activsion could have spent 3 billion on advertising and hype to fool alot of people...and it worked....

Net sales or not it still sold more copies. THAT is what matters.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I just checked some articles and you're right about that. It seems like sales have picked up while early articles from just a few weeks ago claimed that it failed to beat MW3's first week.

starbuckfrack

I think that being on the Xbox 360 as well as being an "old game" is what can be killing the series.

I understand completely how someone can get tired of the same game on an old console.

They could be holding onto the franchise until the 720 (whatever) comes out.

What I find comical is the people talking about "Modern Warfare 4". First of all, the series of MW ended with MW3 being the resolution to the plot of Captian Price and Mackrov, for the IW, Sledgehammer and Ravensoft contingent to attempt to bridge upon that would be very unstable, and albeit, slightly dumb. The idea of future and present day warfare has had is fun in the sun for the Call of Duty franchise, perhaps this could be a benificial time to explore something slightly different.

Black Ops 3 is another rather radical assumption. With all the downfalls the current game has, who's to say Treyarch will still stand behind the Call of Duty franchise in the near future, or will they want to for that matter. When MW3 was coming out, the whole company looked in dissaray, and now, that we have our 2012 COD release, the future is uncertian and foggy. Any money, Call of Duty ends here, with us left to pick up the pieces from this long drawn, expertly marketed and made series, which has provided nearly over a decade of entertainment. I look to Relic and Dice to continue the Modern Warfare contingent of gaming. Call of Duty is loved, but like all games, will one day be put on the shelf.

vims1990

To be honest, I actually like BO2 for the most part however I don't find it worthy of best shooter or multiplayer compared to the some of the other titles that have released this year. (i.e. Borderlands 2)

Activision will keep bragging about their sales so gaining no awards from the VGA won't really matter to them.

Sniffflez

Im pretty sure its me being the Bad Luck Charm here. I just left Halo and look how good they are doing

gallp13

No, sales now on target for best ever result.

Biggest franchise in entertainment history.

VGAs meaningless to majority share of the player base so not a lead indicator.

Market cap to earnings is a solid as a rock

I wish I was doing this bad.

In short, "she'll be right mate".

gallp