31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2012 12:28 PM by Cronkd RSS

Skill Based Matchmaking - My Experience

Hello community,

I just wanted to share my experience with Skill based matchmaking. I play Free for all about 90% of the time since MW2 and have become pretty good at it. I started playing BO2 and wasn't doing as well as in past games. I thought, "No biggie, it's still a new game and I need to make some adjustments." After a week of still not getting any better, I learned about the skill based matchmaking and it made sense. I'm level 50 on my 2nd prestige and  about everyone in the lobbies I join is at least on there 1st prestige with above 300 SPM. Usually 3-4 prestige. They're good! I can compete with them but I rarely win a match whereas in MW3, BO1, and ESPECIALLY MW2 I would win about 95% of all the FFA's I was in.

After learning this I went to my friends list and found someone playing FFA who was only a level 23 no prestige and joined there lobby. I went 30-3 the first time and one every game after that by at least 15 kills. It was a massacre.

My opinion on the subject is that I preferred the variety. I don't want to always be playing with really great players ALL DAY. I want some great players, some good ones, and some OK ones like it's always been. Isn't that why we have league play?

This isn't a huge issue for me as I am still enjoying the game, I'm just not doing anywhere near as well as I used to.

Anyone have any feedback or thoughts? Is everyone expereincing this as well?

• Re: Skill Based Matchmaking - My Experience

Struggling to understand why people are complaining about this.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Treyarch is also struggling to understand that not everyone wants to play like a Pro. That's why the League Play is a disaster. It's decent but it's a disaster. Just look at the number of people playing on it.

It's not fair to us, the one's who suck at the game to alway's get people who don't want to play with people their own skill level. I'm tired of going 7-16 because of all the spawn camper's and the people who use people with my skill level to get into a game their tired of losing.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

How do you think I got better? I once sucked, too. I put on the time and got better and better over the course of several years of playing FPS games. What Treyarch is doing is that they're basically making a walled playground for the lesser skilled at the cost of connection.

I'm a casual gamer and although I can hold my own, I don't want to play against people of my skill level game after game. I want variety.

One of the problems with it, at least in FFA, is that when you have 8 people in a lobby that are all above average players, EVERYONE is spawn killing. In free for all there are only so many spawn spots and the good players catch on VERY quickly and they spawn kill. Obviously map size plays a part in this, but in the past few COD's there was 1 or 2 players in a lobby that would spawn kill. Now, 8 players are all spawn killing each other and it just gets stupid. If you don't know where to look AS SOON as you spawn, you're dead.

I already need a DLC just so I can have 2 days with new maps where everyone hasn't learned the spawns yet.

I guess I got a little off topic as the spawning is a different issue then the matchmaking.

PerEverto13

I just get tired or always being in tryhard mode. I just hope they tweak it some how...

SeraphOne

I agree with you variety is the key. As you've said, you're able to bypass the skill based matchmaking and once everyone catches on it will be come less effective (in team based games have a low stat party leader do the search).

The real downside to it is that because they're using it as a factor in matchmaking it affects your connection, and as we can see its not good.

This is why when im in a party with my friends whoever has the worst stats hosts.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I say Treyarch should stop playing mommy to the lesser skilled. I still suspect that the majority of the lag problems has to do with the skill based matchmaking. I'm getting people from mexico and I'm up here north in Toronto. Like you, I want a variety of players on my playlist and not just clones of myself. I want more variety like getting into an easy lobby, then a challenging one next round. Right now, it's all challenging lobby after challenging lobbies and victors of the game is determined by whose team got more people on the good side of lag.

KoRny1

I don't understand how they can measure skill with the way they have it. In BO1, my K/D ration was usually around 3.0, so you'd think I was really good at the game, but keep in mind it probably put me in a lot of lobbies with scrubs. So now, if bad players who have <0.5 K/Ds are grouped against other bad players, they should all increase to ~1.0 K/Ds.  If a good player who normally has a 3.0 K/D is grouped against other people of the same skill, then all their K/Ds should also drop to ~1.0

So, after everyone's K/D gets closer to 1.0, how does the game then recognize the good from the bad?

lPikachu

K/D doesnt make you good or bad, it should be based on score per min in most game modes

KoRny1

But if we're talking about Team Deathmatch, K/D directly relates to SPM.  I'm not saying K/D = SPM, but logically if you're getting a lot of kills without dying too much, you'll most likely have a high SPM.

I would even argue that SPM doesn't really imply any level of skill at all. Anyone can just run out guns blazing and get a lot of kills really fast, at the cost of dying triple the amount of kills you have. That type of player can have a high SPM, but he will lose matches for his team. K/D is not perfect, but definitly a better measure of skill.

SeraphOne

score per minute is the biggest factor in skill based matchmaking. K/D to a lesser degree if at all. I've seen that when I play with a friend of mine in domination and his spm is 170 and mine is 270. His lobbies range from 100-250 and when I'm solo or party leader from 220-350 or so

We do this most evenings and I'm 100% certain that this is the case.

anahum

The skill is matching me with players I am better than for the most part, but how the connection works in this game is what evens the playing field.  Getting the first 3-4 shots off and watching the killcamto see that I shot 1 bullet annoys me.  I fair much better when I am 3-bar and playing on a UK host.

papaxs

Yeah I hate being competive, I mean this sucks to be paired with other players of equal skill. I don't want that! I want lobbies full of noobs! Tryhards suck.  Games are more fun when I have 5.00 KDR.  I hate it when the game is close and its down to one or two guys to pull off the last kill or cap! I mean where is the fun in that?????Give me those scrubs! 

You know what else I hate is when I am watching my team barely win a football or basketball game. It sucks to be on the edge of your seat the whole game!  I want to watch those boring blow out games where one team just smokes the other!

Come on Treyarch, make a playlist where you have the option to be put in a lobby full of noobs and players who just suck it up!  I want to feel better about myself while playing COD!

KoRny1

Your troll post is missing the point. The match making isn't correctly determining level of skill. And it also chooses players based on said "skill" as a priority instead of connection quality which causes players to lag out when playing with someone across the country.

papaxs

From my experience as a casual player, the lobbies I have been put in have been for the most part competive.  Very few games where one team is getting smoked like I would see in other previous titles.  So BOPS II is doing something right!

I very rarely see anyone with less than a 3 bar in my lobbies or connection issues, so I am not sure why people are if there internet is as good as they say it is.

Also, if you select best as connection type it is only going to search for people with equal skill and ping, if it can't you won't get in match. Von has tweeted on this already.

KoRny1

I have my preference set to best and there is ALWAYS (and I mean 100% of the time, no exceptions) at least one person in the lobby with 3 or less bars.

You say you hardly ever see seriously one sided matches anymore, but I'm the complete opposite. I hardly ever see matches that are neck and neck. I either lose by a huge margin or win by a huge margin.

Who cares what Von tweets? He also tweeted that he doesn't beleive anyone suffers from Lag Comp. He asked people to post video proof just to humor them. Even though people have sent him hundreds of videos proving it. He still is pretending to be ignorant.

Ha, I never said I wanted a lobby full of of noobs. I said I wanted a VARIETY of players. Some good, some great, and some ok.

Delta9

To be honest I want it to go away it's unfair for players like me that aren't bad but not good what I'm trying to say is I'm not the best player. My Q/A is why would Treyarch add skill based matchmaking in normal playlist if that's what league Play is all about???

Here's a good thread showing that it takes priority over ping. (with data) Playing with some people pretty far away.

http://community.activision.com/message/413686249#413686249

adeadfox

Here's my experience with SBMM, in theory it sounds great, in reality, it doesn't work. If you're good enough you will consistantly get put in lobbies with 4+ party teams, and 2 things will happen. You will get stomped in which case half your team quits. OR you stomp the other team and they quit.

I've never experienced so much rage quitting by other players in any game as I have with this. (Aside from maybe MW3's 2v2 playlist )

People will quit when the game is too lobsided, so Treyarch's focus shouldn't be on skill-based matchmaking, but on creating teams that are equal skill-wise. I think people will be less likely to quit if the games are closer.