15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 5:58 AM by avaks RSS

Footsteps [Patch]

I think everyone heard about the problems with footsteps at the moment. In my opinion footsteps are rarely hearable what makes "Dead Silence" and "Awareness" useless. Moreover I know there are a lot of people who are complaining about it too.

In MW3 I started playing without music and tried to hear the enemy footsteps with my speakers.

It was okay but it wasn't that what I wanted. So I bought myself an expensive headset and a new soundcard and I think a lot of people bought a headset too.

Everything was perfect, I could hear every footstep perfect with Dead Silence and Sitrep Pro. My K/D ratio was going up more and more, it was very simply to make good games and I had a lot of fun while playing this game. I was getting my MOAB nearly every third game and I thought: Well let's see what will happen in BO2 and I was really really disappointed when I was level 50 and I used Dead Silence and Awareness. At first I thought this can't be true, in MW3 I heard a ******* rice corn falling down on the other side on the map and now I dont hear a ******* soldier when he is running 2 meters behind me. Well, I don't hear a soldier with an big machine gun running behind me, but I can hear when someone at the other side of the map is reloading !!?? I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that.

I really tried every soundoption I had, I took my roccat kave and put it on and I putted every sound I had on maximum. You can imagine what happened !? I still couldn't ******* hear a soldier running 1 meter behind me, but when someone on the map was reloading I ******* falled out of my chair.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to make 2 perks for sounding an enemy but i can't hear anything. I was searching a conclusion for my problem about 4 hours on Youtube, Google, COD forums and much more, but there was nothing really nothing what I rudimentary wanted.

Furthermore I think this is what good players really makes good, hearing when an enemy is coming from behind, from the side or for anywhere. This is what the most good players used to be as good as they are.

So, hear is my main question to Activison:

Are you going to patch something like that or is not hearing footsteps from a soldier, but hear him reloading what you wanted ?

Sorry for my english guys, but I think everyone can understand me and my problem.

• Re: Footsteps [Patch]
    SitRepPro

Too many complaints about SitRep Pro in MW3 so you won't hear footsteps in this title.  I just listen to my iPod whilst playing instead.

I didn't browse these forums during MW3's reign, but in the forums I did browse I rarely heard anyone complain about sitrep pro. That being said, I understand the argument against it, but in my opinion the solution would be to reduce the levels not eliminate them.

Footsteps add a great dimension to the game. There's still a counter to sitrep, dead silence. On top of this, with decent sound levels someone with dead silence can soundwhore someone with sitrep pro. Of course you can run both now, but you have to pay for it, making it more balanced. I think reducing the levels as far as they did was a mistake.

SitRepPro

Kl4nt wrote:

I didn't browse these forums during MW3's reign, but in the forums I did browse I rarely heard anyone complain about sitrep pro. That being said, I understand the argument against it, but in my opinion the solution would be to reduce the levels not eliminate them.

Footsteps add a great dimension to the game. There's still a counter to sitrep, dead silence. On top of this, with decent sound levels someone with dead silence can soundwhore someone with sitrep pro. Of course you can run both now, but you have to pay for it, making it more balanced. I think reducing the levels as far as they did was a mistake.

Yeah but in MW3 DS would not counter SRP, which is amusing when DS players moaned about this because there was no counter to DS for eight months, and they often used Assassin Pro as well which counters Marksman at base level but, apparently, there were no issues about that.  I haven't seen what DS and SR are like but I like Engineer too much to give it up and I use LMGs so I'm out of choices because of other things I kinda need in my setup.

A lot of the threads that moaned about SRP in MW3 ended up getting deleted because so many people joined and made a single post making a thread on it moaning about the fix, sometimes months after the fix took place.  Many of them only played Search & Destroy and thought the perks should be catered for their game mode and ignored all other ones.  The joke is that many people just soundwhored on users who weren't using DS, as it's a mid-range unlock.

I do agree with footsteps being in the game but I'm not overly bothered by the lack of them.

I didn't heard a lot of people complaining about Sitrep Pro, but if this is the reason for the quiet footsteps why did they included two perks for sounding footsteps ???

d8noped8b

The gauge for me is how well I can hear footsteps over my CRT TV speakers. In every previous COD to date I could hear footsteps over my TV speakers (DS/Ninja too if I payed close attention). Now in BO2... *cricket*...

Yeah, nice goof up there 3arc...

IndyOldGuy

If your own footsteps sound like an elephant when you are sprinting, then should not an enemies be equally as loud if they are sprinting?

Thats the bottom line.

Agree. Enemy footsteps should be as loud as yours when they are next to you, then get quieter at a rate proportional to their distance away from you squared. Some surfaces should produce louder footsteps than others. Perks would affect this accordingly.

Logic => problem solved

ShardTWN

Hearing footsteps hinders SMG rushers and this goes against the principles of BO2 gameplay. Dead Silence and Awareness were only included as a joke.

Kind of like assault rifles, light machine guns, sniper rifles and pistols... you're not actually supposed to use them.

IndyOldGuy

ShardTWN wrote:

Hearing footsteps hinders SMG rushers and this goes against the principles of BO2 gameplay. Dead Silence and Awareness were only included as a joke.

Kind of like assault rifles, light machine guns, sniper rifles and pistols... you're not actually supposed to use them.

Pistols are used alot , I was using a lmg and got outgunned by one yesterday....shish

Damn right   With OP smg and knife kids don't need anything more!

radical_53

They did everything to shift the balance from my old prefered class (BO -> Ghost Pro and Ninja Pro, semi-automatic assault rifle with silencer) to my arch-nemesis class (lightweight, steady aim, sleight of hand, SMG). Then they shifted maps from the layout of Array, Discovery or Hazard to the like of Nuketown, Firing Range and Stadium.

As if it weren't bad enough already they also thought to combine the lag compensation and connection problems of MW3 and BO into a single game.

Great job, well done.

Play hardcore, much less chaos with shooting (objectives anyway) so you can hear. I use it in HC  CTF  and it works great.

I think base volume of footsteps should be increased ~50% and then w/ Awareness you should hear footsteps another 50% louder, but with Dead Silence your footsteps are silent to people w/o Awareness, and at 50% volume to people with it, so they CAN hear you but difficult to.

Also you couldnt turn off music in MW3, not sure what youre talking about :l

radical_53

I do only play Hardcore, you're right though that it's far worse in softcore.

To be honest I need to use both Dead Silence and Awareness to get the same footstep volume / sound that I had in Black Ops with Ninja.

I can't hear anything above my sounds or those of my teammates (which seem to be as loud as in BO) without Dead Silence and I can't hear footsteps, even without moving, without Awareness.

trialstardragon

Strange with my TB's I hear everyones foot steps with out any problem once they are within 20 feet of me.

I think the real problem that most are having is the fact that the perk no-longer lets you hear them at 100 feet plus as in past games. You basically could hear the enemy nearly across the map coming at you. Now it only works for about 20 feet. which really is the better way.