23 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 3:06 PM by English Johnnie RSS

Activision release statement re the lag:

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Lag-Occurs-in-Multiplayer-Game

I'm hoping someone tech savvy might disect this and let us know what it really means, etc.

• Re: Activision release statement re the lag:

O...so its all our end?...its all the users fault?...no fix incoming...awesome!

MrxBurrito

Don't worry, maccabi will jump on it really fast.

Really activision? So its our fault?

zingaa

Users problem, which means they aren't going to fix anything, we're stuck with it.

indy56

That seems like a lot of things to do,what about those of us that are not so up on all this tech stuff,

The only way to get rid of most of the lag is to slow the game down.  You can't have these lightweight SMG setups that fly all over the place with laser tight hipfire spreads.  COD4 had lag, yes it did.  I remember all of the same problems from then and now.  In that game you could get .5 seconds behind someone and the kill cams never matched up with what you saw.  But it still wasn't as bad then because that game didn't have lightweight or quickdraw so things took longer to do.  It also felt that player movement was a bit slower.  So if you want someone to blame for the lag, blame all the people that insist you must have a super fast paced non-stop action extravaganza that would make the cast of the Expendables cream in their pants. 

xmrythem

This has to do more with experiencing massive lag where you're unable to find matches, lag out of the game, and so forth. This has nothing to do with the small bits of lag everyone experiences at random times due to ping fluctuation, packet loss, host connection, and so forth. Those are factors that cannot be helped, which is why you’ll never hear treyarch commenting on how to experience LAN quality play online.

starbuckfrack

y0ssar1an22 wrote:

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Lag-Occurs-in-Multiplayer-Game

I'm hoping someone tech savvy might disect this and let us know what it really means, etc.

Yeah, that statement is OLD (repeated every year) and is posted to hopefully cut down on the incoming calls. But they DO have it there to even out some of the bumps.

I mean you will admit there are tons of people on the forum that want this game to play right out of the box, as well as some people who modify their own connection trying to get a jump in this game.

As a supposed fanboy I predicted this game would be just like the other games and was shot down for it and told to keep a happy opinion about the future Black Ops 2, and well here we are.

I have begun to think the main reason this game started getting worse with lag issues is the overabundance of anit cheat software in the games since TA started building it into the code.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

starbuckfrack wrote:

y0ssar1an22 wrote:

Yeah, that statement is OLD and is posted to hopefully cut down on the incoming calls. But they DO have it there to even out some of the bumps.

I mean you will admit there are tons of people on the forum that want this game to play right out of the box, as well as some people who modify their own connection trying to get a jump in this game.

As a supposed fanboy I predicted this game would be just like the other games and was shot down for it and told to keep a happy opinion about the future Black Ops 2, and well here we are.

I have begun to think the main reason this game started getting worse with lag issues is the overabundance of anit cheat software in the games since TA started building it into the code.

It's not old, mate. It was posted yesterday, Dec. 4th 2012. Anyway, I remember you saying that this game will be no different and you were correct. This game is almost unplayable on my main account while I experience no lag issues on my low KD account. Weird. I know.

MrxBurrito

It is old, it has been posted with every game, at lest for the last 2 years.

starbuckfrack

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

starbuckfrack wrote:

y0ssar1an22 wrote:

Yeah, that statement is OLD and is posted to hopefully cut down on the incoming calls. But they DO have it there to even out some of the bumps.

I have begun to think the main reason this game started getting worse with lag issues is the overabundance of anti cheat software in the games since TA started (possibly) building it into the code.

It's not old, mate. It was posted yesterday, Dec. 4th 2012. Anyway, I remember you saying that this game will be no different and you were correct. This game is almost unplayable on my main account while I experience no lag issues on my low KD account. Weird. I know.

I should have worded it better, I mean its old because they copied and pasted it from last year and the year before.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Wow. I didn't realized that. I never thought they willl come up with the same copy and pasted statement that puts the users to blame themselves for the lag. Why can't they just use MW2's code? I really don't get it. The lag was not that prominent on that game.

Anyway, are you experiencing any of these de-synchronization issues?

starbuckfrack

Run_N_Gunning_Camper wrote:

Wow. I didn't realized that. I never thought they willl come up with the same copy and pasted statement that puts the users to blame themselves for the lag. Why can't they just use MW2's code? I really don't get it. The lag was not that prominent on that game.

Anyway, are you experiencing any of these de-synchronization issues?

You mean typical lag ? Yes. But I always mark the 1 bar players as avoid in the lobbies after the game.

As well as I run a pretty clean connection most of the time. Like something as simple as making sure my PC is not hogging the line.

ALL the games got better when I upgraded to an N based router as well.

They can use the old code and they basically still do according to what I have read. The netcode really hasnt changed.

I think its because the engine is overtaxed or the Xbox and the engine is overtaxed or the anticheat software is gumming up the works if its in the code. Or this game is the laggiest because its the latest.

as for other games not having issues, I notice other people complaining on those too. If you want to compare then compare THIS to BF3 in TDM mode and you STILL will notice some of the same stuff.

Except of course you will notice BF3 doesnt have a killcam of you getting killed, if it did then you would see the same disparities (?) in what you saw and the server saw.

-------------------

Add the factor that BOTH of the last two games they claimed to reduce bandwidth (could THAT be an issue ?)

gallp13

Meh old news.,,,,,.just your basic support info posted back when BO was around and updated when MW3 was released. This just the lastest iteration.

As you can see Xbox is not a plug and play machine.  Reality is to get a better experience with CoD, you have to optimize your set up and then work with your ISP and infrastructure provider to get solid service. Sure it's a pain but that's how it is. Been that way since BO, same with MW3 and now BO2. If still lagging after this then you at least are on more solid ground to complain.

that article is pure rubbish if your xbox is in the dmz then no need to port forward and why would anyone advise you turn off your firewall, crazy!

gallp13 wrote:

Reality is to get a better experience with CoD, you have to optimize your set up and then work with your ISP and infrastructure provider to get solid service.

Gallp, you can optimize your set up all you please and get the placebo effect that you've accomplished something, then it goes away. I am not saying that it's not a good thing to have your system set up with the purest settings possible..... but, it WILL NOT CONSISTENTLY PLAY THE SAME.

It may boil down to inferior matchmaking like some others have posted in the past, but there should be a way to overcome this without having some crazy algorithm for lag "compensation".

PhilLvsTanya

its the internet people have crap connections people have god connections it cant be fixed get on with it stop complaining and just carry on ive never had a problem im on a good isp with high speeds so everyone complaining it could actually be your connection.

@wildgator25: this isnt aimed at you just clicked reply on your post.

Best fix right now for lag is to play hardcore. Does it eliminate it? No, but it's a lot better. For those who still say hardcore is a campfest obviously has no idea of what they are talking about. Hardcore takes the training wheels off so you have to be more careful but it's so rewarding to get a kill with one bullet instead of an entire clip. Try it and see if it cures your lag problems. If you are a dedicated core player and this is just a dumb idea then have fun dealing with lag.