20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 1:12 PM by el2kay RSS

Freezing/connection interrupted & insta-deaths!! (VIDEO)

"@DavidVonderhaar played for a few hours on 3 and 4 bar connections, ran flawlessly''

First off:

Everyone on my team except one person is within 120 miles from me. The other one is about 400 miles away. We all have great internet, quality routers and know how to set them up properly. Every one of us can ping each others' areas at <45ms

This video unfortunately shows what I've come to expect from an average number of games in a night. I've played every CoD there is except CoD3; I stopped playing MW3 after about 60 hours on the game and didn't buy a cent's worth of DLC which is pathetic since I put over 800 hours each into COD4, W@W, MW2, and BOPS and bought the DLC for each of them as well.

The point? Black Ops2 is quickly going the same way MW3 did. Please don't let that happen, I want to enjoy this game really I do. The potential is there, the connection BS is unbearable though.

The freezing/connection interrupted stuff starts around the 4:00 mark. Plenty of insta-deaths from spraying SMG's sprinkled throughout.

• Re: Freezing/connection interrupted & insta-kills!! (VIDEO)

Nothing eh? So does this only happen to me and the people I play with then?

Nope, seems people with shitty to medium internet get good connections and the rest of us get shafted.  I get lag at least 90 % of lobbys, which is why i currently don't play it on PS3.  But don't forget about Vahns "flawless play" was no doubt on Xbox not PS3, it is alot better then ps3.  Up till sunday when i played on my buddys Xbox it was flawless, sunday till now it's been off and on laggy too....

PAINFULL... can't wait till this patch comes out, I hope they really put the effort needed to really put a dent into this lag / warping issues!!

Of course it's worse on PS3. They can't bother to code it from scratch on PS3.

Snoopizumi wrote:

Nope, seems people with shitty to medium internet get good connections and the rest of us get shafted.  I get lag at least 90 % of lobbys, which is why i currently don't play it on PS3.  But don't forget about Vahns "flawless play" was no doubt on Xbox not PS3, it is alot better then ps3.  Up till sunday when i played on my buddys Xbox it was flawless, sunday till now it's been off and on laggy too....

PAINFULL... can't wait till this patch comes out, I hope they really put the effort needed to really put a dent into this lag / warping issues!!

Im not sure if a TU (Patch) is going to smooth out the gameplay as much as tuning in through hotfixes will. Maybe theres a conflict in the code causing the freezing but thats all speculation.

Im just trying to document a bit of what i see in hopes that it helps me know if its just me and that it helps solve the problem if multiple people are experiencing the same.

kellysa111

I had to change my DNS address and I had to lower my MTU to get good games.

• Re: Freezing/connection interrupted & insta-deaths!! (VIDEO)
    Jaggajatt187

I play Solo and always have 4 bars, but half the lobby is always at 3 bars . I get the insta-kill deaths a lot. I have been finding a few more okay lobbies, before I was getting insta killed in every lobby now its about 70-80% of lobbies. Today I decided to try and play and I was beasting with the M27, got a vsat & lodestar in KC, and of course 4 players from the other team left. The 4 guys that joined were all 3 bars, and they proceeded to destroy me and the whole team. We were up 70-40 and they came back and won 100-98, the whole team was invincible. I was 30-3 before they joined and ended up finishing 38-18.

RichterRavage

Lag compensation at it's finest -.-

To explain this: is like to have two cars. One is a dodge viper team oreca, a rally car with powerful engine and everything, on the other side we have a fiat 500, a crap a** car. Well, for lag compensation the fiat 500 wins against the viper -.-

so who has a good connection gets raped, oh COD logic...

The xbox fanboys at treyarch dont care and wont do anything to make the playing experiance on the ps3 better. I doubt they even know how

If one of you has the ability to reduce your connection to say 3up 1.5 down. could you post the results provided you were previously running far faster.

Raketti

Using QoS to limit the amount of bandwith to your console will not make a difference, it's all about latency, not about bandwith. Someone on a low bandwith connection using a properly set-up quality router can be having as much issues as someone who has fios. More bandwith does not mean that the connection is going to have less latency, which is the basis of the whole lag / lag comp and matchmaking.

If you notice any difference by limiting you bandwith, the only reason for that would be that you no longer get host. Hosting seems to give you a huge disadvantage in terms of lag, same as it did in MW3. One of the factors they use in choosing the host is testing the upload bandwith, if you limit yours there might be people in the lobby who have more, and therefore you don't get host that often and feel less affected by lag.

Some might note a difference between wireless and wired, which again is all down to latency. You might have some interference, poor wifi quality router, or distance between the devices that increases the latency at your end and makes the games compensation system work better for you.

Switching to another ISP or connection type can make a huge difference, in other words obtaining a connection that has poor line quality (more latency "built in") will mostlikely make your gaming experience in CoD better because they cater to a huge community and have made the decision to aim to get as many people online as possible while trying to level the playing field, which unfortunately means the ones with a decent line quality and low pings will have a poor experience because they try to level things out for the ones on wifi stolen from their neighbour.

Raketti wrote:

Using QoS to limit the amount of bandwith to your console will not make a difference, it's all about latency, not about bandwith. Someone on a low bandwith connection using a properly set-up quality router can be having as much issues as someone who has fios. More bandwith does not mean that the connection is going to have less latency, which is the basis of the whole lag / lag comp and matchmaking.

If you notice any difference by limiting you bandwith, the only reason for that would be that you no longer get host. Hosting seems to give you a huge disadvantage in terms of lag, same as it did in MW3. One of the factors they use in choosing the host is testing the upload bandwith, if you limit yours there might be people in the lobby who have more, and therefore you don't get host that often and feel less affected by lag.

Some might note a difference between wireless and wired, which again is all down to latency. You might have some interference, poor wifi quality router, or distance between the devices that increases the latency at your end and makes the games compensation system work better for you.

Switching to another ISP or connection type can make a huge difference, in other words obtaining a connection that has poor line quality (more latency "built in") will mostlikely make your gaming experience in CoD better because they cater to a huge community and have made the decision to aim to get as many people online as possible while trying to level the playing field, which unfortunately means the ones with a decent line quality and low pings will have a poor experience because they try to level things out for the ones on wifi stolen from their neighbour.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense maybe ill turn my broadcast power to 1mw lol of course id rather leave a good connection GOOD

http://www.pingtest.net/result/73371972.png

I noticed something tonight, EVERY time i changed a class in game I got the freeze/connection interrupted combo. Every time.

In other news lag was still unbearable 7/10 matches. Getting paired with more and more french canadians who end up host when my whole party is western new york, eastern ohio, and one in virginia. Seriously?? the guy from Quebec hosts and sends everyone into the bouncing 3 and 4 bar dipping down to 1 and 2 bars at key moments in game.

Makes the game completely non competitive. Most games tonight my whole party would start freezing at clutch moments, handing the game to the other guys who conveniently get to kill in one shot from their SMG's.

Raketti

I've tried nearly every trick in the book back while playing MW3 to optimize my decent connection, and nothing helped. The only real improvement was avoiding hosting by limiting my upload bandwith, as hosting was always horrific in that game. I assume this along with maybe some added latency from using wifi is made the difference for you in BO2.

Maybe you should try if reducing the broadcasting power helps, i doub it will unless there is some distance / walls between your PS3 and router, and as you mentioned it goes against ones nature to intentionally make their connection worse when they pay for a decent connection like you and i both do.

I've tried playing BO, MW3 and BO2 at different friends houses who all live in rural areas and use a 3G USB in their router as their only source of an internet connection, all games run smoother than they do for me. Those things have pings exceeding 100ms to nearest servers, while i have less than 6ms or even as low as 2ms. They have no lag issues, while me on cable and many friends on different DSL ISP's are all struggling. It's a shame really.

Lynas

Same here in UK - being paired with Germans, French people etc who are over 500 miles away because I have a low latency line. 80MB down and 20MB up means I'm being selected for host most times and watching Adolf and his french friends teleport around the map waving SMG's.

This is absolutely horrible.

Rodbaker

I confirmed yesterday that the matchmaking is score related and probably not ping

My score per minute is around 320. Every time i check the lobby leaderboard i see that everyone is around 300-450 spm

My brother was playing the game yesterday and since he is not a big fan of fps games his score per minute is lower than mine, something around 150. His lobby was full of noobies, with similar spm.

This probably explain why so many people finds this game harder to keep a high k/d since you are playing with people with similar spm and crappy connections

I've noticed for a long time now that everyone's SPM is close in the lobbies, whatever that means or doesn't mean is something else though.

I just noticed last night that whenever I changed a class in game or if I picked my class right when the counter was <10seconds I would freeze then get the crazy connection interrupted lag. The same thing happens on PS3 when you're in the lobby and look or change something in your custom classes; the lobby freezes for 10-20 seconds (assuming because it's updating elite with your class changes). This is carrying over into games!

I'll record tonight and hopefully I can get footage that shows it.