7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 3:40 PM by Kl4nt RSS

Footsteps? Your thoughts.

How do you guys feel about the volume of the footsteps? I think it's significantly too quiet.

As I recall this was also an issue with the first Black Ops, and I think they're smart enough not to make the same mistake twice. This had to be a conscience effort, another decision made to limit the effectiveness of "camping". I think they took this too far, though. In fact I have a hard time understanding why they changed it at all because I didn't see it as an issue in the past. There's nothing wrong with having a moderate awareness of one's surroundings by using sound. I think sound adds another great tactical dimension to the game!  If there was an issue with anything, then it would have been with sitrep pro soundwhoring. I felt that generally this advantage was worthy of a perk slot, but regardless, this could have been addressed by changing the perk only, not the level of footsteps in general.

As it stands right now, footsteps are completely inaudible. With awareness the are still much too quiet.  This is just wrong. What really sucks is that this contributes to the effectiveness of the mindless running and gunning with SMGs. Players should have some awareness of players around them, unless they are making an effort to stay quiet (dead silence). What do you think?

• Re: Footsteps? Your thoughts.
    Meatball

honestly.. i like the current sound level.

i dont use awareness too much, but it still seems that people who use it have an advantage because they still start shooting before i even turn the corner

you didnt even have to be good before in other titles.. just needed to have Turtle Beaches and camp in corners and listen for footsteps.

it was aggravating.

Did you adjust the audio settings? I tried out a few, but noticed the Headphones made things a tad louder. Give it a try!

- Younique

Meatball

exactly, if you change the Audio settings to 'SuperCrunch' you shouldnt be worrying about the sound anymore

I have been using super crunch, still zero awareness.

SitRepPro

Kl4nt wrote:

I have been using super crunch, still zero awareness.

Too much anger from the SitRep Pro fix I'm guessing.  Now arguments of soundwhoring is basically gone.  Players are now free to play a game in silence without any disadvantage.

What IW could have done in MW3 was to make Dead Silence immune to SitRep Pro but SitRep Pro would be immune to motion sensors and not Assassin.  Just like MW2 I think.

I did like sitrep pro in the previous MW games. I did not think it needed to counter dead silence, and I thought those were solid perks and countered each other nicely. If someone wants to hear footsteps, they should be able to, and if they want to stay silent, they should be able to as well. Essentially taking footsteps out of the game kinda dumbs it down in my opinion. The level at which one should be able to hear footsteps is certainly debatable, though I think MW2 had pretty good sounds overall, with footsteps being maybe a little too audible. In general I would like to see footsteps be made more distinguishable.

Meatball wrote:

exactly, if you change the Audio settings to 'SuperCrunch' you shouldnt be worrying about the sound anymore

Haven't tried SuperCrunch, but 'Headphones' works rather nicely.

I'm going to have to check out this SuperCrunch stuff. Apparently they say you can hear the bomb being planted and defused better in this game? I beg to differ so far, although I can hear footsteps just fine...With Dead Silence to boot! With Awareness, it's plain retarded.

- Younique