48 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 5:53 PM by Shortcup RSS

Unable to Mount/climb obvious and logical items

Shortcup

Treyarch you must update the current maps to allow players to climb onto typical and/or logical items such as the dumpsters in each spawn on Express and the pallets piled in the corner on Slums. ALL automobiles and dumpsters should be climbable. Can we resolve this please?

• Re: Unable to Mount/climb obvious and logical items

i got killed several time trying to climb on something I tough I could climb. Some bigger object can be climbed on, and some smaller object, no.

Yeah, why put items that can be logically climbed into the game if you don't take the time to make them mountable?

Such a rookie development move. Lazy

trialstardragon

No, they do not need to be able to make all those things climable just because you want them as such. Not everything in the game is meant to be climable no matter how logical it may seem to you. There are reasons why somethings are not meant to be climbed on even if you do not accept it or understand it.

Shortcup

You're clearly wrong about this. If it's not mountable it is cheap/lazy design. Don't color the map with deceiving scenery. If you put a dumpster or a car within the playable area of the map it must be able to interact with otherwise draw something else and place it there if all you're creating is ambiance. Absolutely unacceptable of Treyarch. This is Call of Duty. They know better.

trialstardragon

Actually no I am not wrong. not everything in the game is meant to be climbable even if it looks like it can. You do not need the right to clime every little think you see in a map ever just because you want too.

Some of them may be balance issues, to prevent people from abusing them in some ways. Like dome catwalk on infected in mw3.

So, no just because you feel that a place should be climibable does not mean that 3arc has to make it climbable, and just because they do not, does not make it lazy of them.

They do not have to give you everything little thing you want in the game ever. And no everything in the play area does not have to be interactable just becasue you think so. You did not design the game, you do not get to decide what is interactable or not just because you think it should be.

nuttin2say

Yeah. Bad Design. They remember to put all the lettering on all the signs on Express but they forget to program 1000s of objects to be climbable. They even remembered to have the barricades open just before a train passes through ... but they forgot to make everything climbable. They even put birds flying around on Hijacked ... but they forgot to make it so we could climb on top of the helicopter. Now it all makes sense!

Oh cool. You did just give me a great idea for a thread though!

Pyric

Lol it would've been SUCH a pain to make avery logical item climbable in this game.

SitRepPro

It would be nice if that sportscar in Raid is climbable, just so that some enemy has a brain fart and I blow up the car with my LMG.

slyaudio

I think you missed the point that objects are put in seemingly stupid areas just to block line of sight.

Oh look that window up there looks like a nice sniper spot. Jokes, we put a large random object 5 metres in front of it.

These items were not implemented for climbing, they were just thrown in to enforce small lines of sight.

trialstardragon

Correct. to maintain shorter lines of sight so snipers and lmg users or ars do not try to climb to those hgiher areas to dominate over large open area's. To force players to have to move around said object to fire. To add to the flow of the map by reducing the total available open shot range. Just because a large open area exists does not mean 3arc wants it veiwable from all angles from everything in the map.

Shortcup

You're a pretty arrogant, self-proclaimed authority. I still maintain it is lazy design. Objects outlining the boundaries of a map have nothing to do with your "line of sight" theory, so you're still wrong. I have not mentioned objects designed to do such things, such as many of the items on carrier. So I appreciate your initial OPINION but your follow up on subsequent replies is unnecessary. I'd also recommend proof reading your comments, as I am an authority on that matter. I appreciate your defense of Treyarch, which I assume is what you mean when you spell "arc," as I am a loyal advocate of Treyarch as well. However it is lazy design.

On a side note, relative to laziness, we see many birds flying around the perimeter of Cargo and yet we're unable to shoot them. Modern Warfare always enabled players to shoot chickens on various maps. It just shows how overlooked the interactable objects were. Only cars explode unlike MW2 where you could detonate generators, copiers, propane tanks, fire extinguishers. I do appreciate all the non-interactable detail provided, as nuttin2say mentioned, but those are static objects just like backdrops lending no credit to their part for considering the details of playable design.

Trialstardragon, you sir have clearly missed my point.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

trialstardragon

Not pretty arrogant at all, just very sure on the reasons why. I have played these games for years so sort of understand why they do some things in them. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand the reasons behind why somethings are done or not.

Again just beacuse there are birds flying does not mean they should be able to be shot. Just because you could in MW3 does not mean it has to be allowed in this game. There is really no reason to shoot the birds flying. Yet in MW3 shooting the chickens made that area quiter and easier to hear things. Yet the flying birds do not make enough noise. they are just for ambience and thus do not need any interaction with them.

3arc perhaps decided there was no reason for all that extra interaction in the game, since those do not really have any positive affect on actual game play. Just because something can be done does not mean it has to be done in a game. Just because another game does something does not mean all games have to do it too.

3arc and IW are different companies and do their games differently from each other and always have in regards to how some things were interacted with.

Wasting bullets shooting at a bird is pointless, same as poping a generator or anything else. It is just a waste of code space that can be better used for something else.

Shortcup

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on your assumptions, comparative reasoning and general linguistically inferior arrogance. It is a game and meant to be PLAYED. We're not learning anything here and certainly aren't improving upon anything. It's not a military simulator or tactical development tool. Interaction and "play" are expected and required. Again I remind you that you are no authority on the matter. Still I remind you to proof read your condescension or rather comments before posting.

My expectations of gameplay is to "feel" the environment, believe in the fidelity of the sound and depend upon the integrity of the weapons and their adherence to realism. Quick scoping would separate your shoulder and drop shotting does not exist, these are exploits of game mechanics. If you design a bird I want to shoot it, if you apply logic before "line of sight" theory you must maintain consistency. I can mount the nuketown sign despite its "line of sight" purposing. Some but not all is never good application. If like item climbable here then like item climable also there. Like as to like... Consistency lends to integrity.

Your inferences bore me. Sell your theories elsewhere civilian. We're still awaiting response from THE authorities.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

Pyric

I've gotta agree with trialstardragon. His point is better than yours, and he doesn't condescendingly accuse you of condescention. Or ask you to proofread your arguments(<--- I fail to see how this lends to the validity of your argument). And before you try to inpress me with your' large paragraphs and sentences and words, and accuse me of something or other. I would also like to add that quickscoping would NOT seperate your shoulder from its socket. I once tried it in real life using a bolt action 300. winchester magnum rifle. It was much more difficult without aim assist.

Shortcup

My paragraphs are of no significant length and proof reading has nothing to do with the validity of any point. I'm not here to make accusations. I'm here to improve the game. Follow trialstardragon's many posts and see for yourself what the common tone is to his responses.

I'm too tired for this. Arguing with trial and his groupies does nothing to address these issues.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

Paramac55

It seems to me that all you like to do is condescend, climb on everything climbable and hear yourself speak (or see your own text)! If everything climbable could be climbed, everybody would be on top of something and all similarity to realism, would fly out of the window.

Laying on top of all cars, would be pathetic. And if you like to shoot birds, try Chicken Invaders or Moorhuhn. Some how, shooting birds in Black Ops 2, your obvious love for the English language and your exceptional word-choice doesn't fit together. Which just lets me conclude that you just want to excel with your knowledge of English literature.

The first sign of being stupid, is when you think that you are intelligent.

Shortcup

Sorry to leave your post unnoticed. I'm actually entirely disinterested in laying on the cars or climbing them for that matter. It's merely the principle of the matter that I am fighting for as you'll find apparent in subsequent replies I have made. I'm also disinterested in my own text but am rather interested in the response it elicits. In regards to literature and the English language, I am indeed passionate about. Some of your inferences are excellent while others are sabotaged by your attempts at insult. But let's return to the birds. I wouldn't suggest I performed any better than others at duck hunt and I can't say I felt any compulsion to play the game yet it is entirely possible that it influenced me immensely as I now find myself defending my desires to shoot every bird possible within the call of duty series. However, it remains an isolated incident as I am only seeking fowl play within the context of a multiplayer map intended for any and every thing but shooting at birds. Ah duck hunt.

Thank you very much for that unintentional derailment down memory lane and forgive me for my lack of capitalization of proper nouns as this iPad pecking makes me lazy.

Bonus fact: I have a degree in English literature and my intelligence is not in question.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

trialstardragon

Wow, you can try and sound smart with large words that really mean nothing and do not prove your view is any more valid then mine. LOL.. if you think it does..

This game is not meant to be realistic, so to say you want to feel their realism is really pretty silly.

No just because an item can be climed in one area does not mean it needs to be climable everywhere else, just because you think it should be. You did not design the game, you have no say in how it should work at all. Tough luck if you cannot accpet this or understand this fact.

You will not be getting a reply from the authorities on this like you want, civilian. For you are no more important than me at all.

Just because something is designed does not mean it has to be interactable just because you want it to be. They are not going to waste the code space just so you can shoot at a bird and see it fall. That is a waste of code space.

To sum it up playing a game does not mean interacting with everything you see in the game world in some form or fashion. To play the game is to do as the game allows you and not to expect to do as you want.

They do not need to make generators destroyable, they do not need to make lights breakable. They decide what is real or not what should be interactable or not. Not you ever and so do not ever expect the game to be to the realism that you feel it should be. For its not going to happen ever regardless if you do not like it or not.

So no everything that you see in the game world does not need to interactable becasue you want it. So get overyourslef and your expectations or thinking the company has to do what you want because you think or say so.

Shortcup

Civilian, you misunderstand everything I say and then disagree. I see this forum is your life but it doesn't give you the license or liberty to speak to people the way that you do. Take your self righteousness to a new post. And how inept are you to believe my expectation of this post to be receiving response from admins or developers. I'm merely a fan looking for shared opinions among other players. Thanks for informing me though.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

trialstardragon

Actually you are wrong. I do have the right to reply as I do as long as I am not directly breaking the coc of this forum. I do not have to agree to what you say ever just because you may think I should.

My so called selfrighteousness is not what you think it is a long built common undersanding about how and why the developers of this game do things based upon my time playing this game and my time on these forums.

And no these forums are not my life at all. So if you think that just because I have a high post means something you no nothing about how these forums work. These forumes aggregate your post count from all forums on this site, not just from this forum itself.

My 8k+ post is spread out over 3+ games and 3+ years or being here. And it is very easy to make over 2k posts a year without ever trying.

And continueing to call me a civilian is just sad and yet funny really. It does not mean anything to me. So what ever form of insult or slight you think you are delevering to me is a complete failure.

Paramac55

Excuse me for asking RJ, you don't mind me calling you RJ do you? This is a mostly male orientated forum, you, being a lady, are quite welcome to your opinion, without any discrimination whatsoever. But you have to realise that most people on this forum have a normal level of education and communicate in a simple 'down to earth' way. Nobody is here to condescend or just be obnoxious, you, on the other hand, appear to me that all you want to do is impress this community with your intelligence. So why don't you take a little harshness off your tone, stop calling him a 'civilian' (are you really an advocate and not a Michael Jackson fan?). The word 'civilian' gives me the impression that you are military or something similar. Are you?

PS. I love Fleetwood Mac

PPS. Maybe you are not wasting your time on Black Ops forums

By the way, I refer to you being a female, just to give you an idea of how it is to be 'targeted'.

Message was edited by: Paramac55

Shortcup

My bad. Ill mispunctuate, misspll and be generally argumentative to better appease you. My tone is present entirely as a result of trialstardragon's rude a condescending reply to my humble and lighthearted desire to shoot a bird in game and rely on consistency. If I can climb this dumpster why not that one. And u Mae kall me wut u like. I'm not at all concerned with any of this the trial is. I just like to confront ***wholes and doosh bags head on. He neither intimidates me nor deters me from speaking. My thoughts are not less than his. I called him civilian to remind him of his status. He is neither admin nor developer. Therefore regardless of his self qualifications he is o authority on anything as far as I'm concerned. All that wasted space about his views on online communities and societal concerns. What prompted that monologue. Thanks for looking up my profile and reading whatever it is that it says. Fleetwoodmac is going back on tour soon. I like to drink Pom tea and I hate sandals/flip flops.

Any more bs that you would like me to contend with? You're paying attention to the wrong person but hello, nice to meet you. This isn't real and it's not whatever we think it is and excuse me I'd like a turn at the water fountain too, please.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

Paramac55

Hi R.J. I guess that I'm fed up with all the complaints on this forum. It seems to me that everybody wants some wish or another to be acknowledged and implemented. We all have something that we would like to change, and if all these 'changes' were implemented, we would certainly have a very controverse game. If you have read my other feeds, you would notice that a company such as Treyarch, develope over a period of years a game, which as far as I'm concerned, is absolutely fantastic. It is well thought out and I don't think that anything is left over to its coincidental fate. Some things are made to scramble over and some not. Chickens in BO (1) led a very risky life, in BO(2) the birds are 'as free as a bird' and get to live happily ever after. In Standoff, I tried to shoot some windows in the buildings outside the playzone and although I couldn't, I won't be complaining to Treyarch about it!

Customer satisfaction is based on quality, delivering what is promised , and making the characteristics of the game, meet the expectations of the user. Fifty people, demanding to climb on dumpsters and shoot birds do not qualify for any changes concerning the above mentioned. If a petition was developed concerning changes, I'm sure that 'dumpsters and clay pigeons would be a very small minority group.

I hate sandals and flipflops too....

Greetings..

I disagree with your sentiment, Trial, because you're operating under the premise of "This is about what people WANT."

It doesn't particularly matter to me one way or another if a car is climable or not, but that doesn't change the fact that it should be.

If we presume that these fake-game men are athletic, strong beings that are capable of running with extreme conditioning and falling from any height without taking damage (all whilst strong enough to tote a LMG), then we must presume that it's possible for him to climb upon the trunk of a car- seeing as this is a feat capable of being done by a 5 year-old child.

The problem is this; there are several places set up in the game in which it is possible to scale up and over certain objects (the green dumpster on Standoff to reach the eaves of the roof immediately jump into my mind). Being that it's possible to do such things in conspicuous areas on difficult objects, it really is indeed lazy design to then implement scenery fodder that's unusable in any way, shape or form. That's extremely inconsistent.

To further add to this point, I'm willing to forgive "realism," in many aspects: toting a heavy sniper rifle and hoisting it into a perfect shot OHK, swiping a knife at someone's foot to instantly kill them... because those things occur consistently.

When you can climb certain crates and dumpsters in certain areas, but inexplicably can't climb upon a car (bad idea as that may be), that's terribly inconsistent. And...that makes for lazy, poor design, any way you want to look at it.

trialstardragon

What shour or should not be in not for the players to decide. It is for the devs to decide what ineractions is needed or allowed in the game. Not the players ever. That is the first thing people need to learn. Just because someone wants to be able to do something does not mean it has to be allowed to be done, no matter what anyone else ever says for what ever reason.

Just because you want to assume what your player can do, does not mean they have to be able to do it. So once again, just because something thinks it should be allowed does not mean it has to be allowed no matter what the thinking or reasoning is behind it.

It is not lazy at all, it was their choice to do it that way, they made the game, they have the final choice and no it was not lazy just because they did not allow people to play the game the way they want because they assumed they were entiteld to do so, which never was the case to begin with.

Again trying to use the term lazy, to justify your desire on what you should be allowed it just lazy. Developers do not ever have to make everything the same in the game. Just because you can climb on one thing does not mean everything can or has to be allowed to be climbed on.

People need to stop assuming that their view on how the game is meant to be played is the correct way or that the developers have to allow them to do so, they do not nor or ever have to do that. For one simple reason. It is their game, their rules. Like it or not that is how it works and always has and always will.

So, no not everything in the map needs to be interactable just because some people want to or think it should based upon what ever logic or reasoning they want to try and use.

I'm gathering you didn't really read my reply at all, considering you keep using those terms "want, desire," etc.

I already said I could care less.

I merely pointed out the obvious- a car should be climbable by a grown man, period.

Is it up for me to decide? Nope. Do I want to climb the car? Nope. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be climbable, and that it's a lazy oversight.

It's lazy because it's scenery fodder that shouldn't have been added without the thought of whether it's interactive in the environment. There's no two ways about it.

Shortcup

Dragon you're quite fixated on assumptions of entitlement. Nothing I have said has anything to do with wanting for the sake of want or expecting bc it is of my own desire.

My entire objection is to inconsistency among like objects not any and all or some and a few... Consistency among like objects.

You're constantly getting derailed by your own perceptions of people and negative worldview.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

Shortcup

I really liked the presentation of your argument. You gave better clarity to the points I was trying to make. Thank you. And you reminded me of other things that I wished adhered more faithfully to realism. Sniping should be more difficult, LMGs should not be able to be shot while standing or sprinting with any accuracy and knifing feet or shooting knees should also not be fatal attacks although these things I'm willing to forgive as they've been consistently presented to us as acceptable. Anyway, very good points. Thanks for contributing.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

X_MISSILE_X

My grandma could go over some of the objects.

Trial, you have yet to agree with one post on this website. We are as a community just trying to post our different opinions and collaborate a solution. You, my friend, need to calm down. "Consistency lends to integrity." This is all that needs to be said about the topic at hand. Don't get me wrong though, some of your post bring a lot of insight to the conversation. I just think you could take a friendlier approach instead of creating so many enemies. When bullets start not causing damage 50% of the time, are we allowed to voice are opinion? If I come across a barrel, let me mount it. It's simple.

Shortcup

Thank you. It's just a discussion. Simple points. It's not this serious,

trialstardragon

Actually you are wrong there are numerous posts that I have agreed to on this site and on the other sites as well. I guess you just do no really know what I do or say eh? Just because someone wants to come here and say something is wrong or broken does not mean I have to agree to it for any reason if I do not think it is.

I am teh DragonTroll I create and have created numerous enemies over my time here. I do not generally worry about for the fact that these forums are not my life but really a distraction from life for me. And some of those enemies are nolonger such because they have finally learned to understand me a bit more and thus see beyond how I post to what I am posting instead.

I am harsh because I do not think anyone needs to be coddled as much as some people think it should be done in this world. It is because of all the coddleing that many of the problems in todays world have grown to what they are.

Some may try and call this a community but it truth it really is not. Online communities do not really exist. They are a false belief that many people like to put too much expectations in on how people should act or behave in them. Only the mods and admins have the final say on how a person should react to anyone else, not anyone else ever.

I have been on the internet for a long time under various names on various sites. During this time I have learned the truth about these so called communities and what they really are. They are nothing what most people like to think or claim. They are in truth nothing more then a common gathering area, such as a playground or the water fountain at any school that a group of people would gather at. They are nothing more than the nerds gathering in the library discussing their next D&D game session or the jocks gathering in the lockeroom before the game.

This is not a community where everyone knows each other personally, so has to worry about what they say or how or why for as long as they do not break the coc or tos of these forums.

Why are you against an improvement? Clearly you are commenting just for the sake of arguing. Not one valid point has came from your keyboard. Details, as minor as they may be, make average games memorable and ultimately exceptional.

Shortcup

Another valid and concise point made by Free_me

trialstardragon

What you may call an improvement is not necessarily and improvement and would be a waste of code space that could be used for better things.

This is not the real world, you do not need to be able to ineract with everything you see in the game ever just because you may want too.

the developers do not have to make this a feature of the game just because some think this game has to be realistic or logical to that limit. So no it is not needed in this game.

Next thin gyou will want is doors on buildings that players have to open and close to pass through them. Or an elevator that works or for the escalators to actually move up and down.

This game is not meant to be realistic to that level. It is not about map interaction but player shoot player interaction, not player shoot bird and it dies. Or player shoot copy machine and paper flies out.

Shortcup

Eyeore dragon,

You're not making any new contributions to your argument. You're just repeating your same few points again and again. You've told us many times, you believe we feel entitled to our whims, we want things just to want them, we have stupid suggestions, we're wasting valuable code space, interaction with objects is unnecessary and should not be expected, the developers don't have to do anything for us, on and on and on. Would you like an apology for our appreciation of these thoughtful interactions? As much as you tell us what the developers won't do or don't have to do, they're actually doing everything for us. They create these games for an audience, with the entire purpose of having people buy and enjoy what they've created. All these wastes of code space were obviously not considered a waste to them as they continue to offer us these types of interactions.

We're all aware of what the game is and is not about. We're aware that we've purchased a first person shooter and not minecraft or banjo kazooie. I'm not sure what you feel you're accomplishing here. This isn't a petition or a demand for anything. You're not teaching us anything. So why the lecture? Also this topic never was seeking an explanation but rather an implementation. So all of your denials on the behalf of the developers are entirely unwarranted.

What is your point eyeore? We hear you loud and clear that this topic is a waste of space and the contents a waste of code and none of us understand the developers the way you do. We clearly don't get it. If only we understood their motives and intentions the way that you do.

By the way, Treyarch already gave us functioning, interactable elevators in Black Ops 1 and Drone has doors that the player must open to pass through. True story.

Cheers,

Shortcup

Xbl

trialstardragon

Actually the doors on drone open automatically once you are close there is no interactionr requried by the player to make them open other then to walk near them. So that point is moot. And yes I forgot about highrise with the elevator, the only map in BO that had such a feature.

But even with those two things it does not mean they need too or have to make everything interactable in the map for what ever reason you chose to list or say they should.

So no it is not need, not when the space for those actions could be better used for other things. Such as weapons or attachments or equipment. Something that actually adds to the game play and not just the ambience. There is only so far the ambience in a game needs to be flushed out before it is just a waste at that point.

This game is about action not about exploring. This is not a mmo, it is a fps. So there is no real need for that level of interactabiltiy with evertying no matter what form or logic you try to use and say it does.

Shortcup

Miserable fool,

Yet again (again) you are repeating yourself. *yawn* You also did not address my questions. So hotel's elevators are not acceptable examples for you, nor the doors on drone... Therefore you'll have to say that the giant mechanical door on radiation and the conveyor belt are also not examples. In case you missed it again the elevators I'm referring to exist on the map HOTEL.

No cheers for you. You deserve no formalities or civility.

Shortcup

I would edit the initial statement to be more precise however I refuse to go to an actual desktop to do so. My iPad was good enough to create the topic but not to modify it? Broken forum. Another absurdity.

dohadoh

I don't think we will get this, was around on CoD4.

It's similiar to all these spots where I can see through but my bullets can fly through. EX: Forklifts in MW2.

Karay68

More camper spot NO WAY!!!!

Don t you have enought spot to hide?

Are you playing call of duty or hide and catch me if you can?

let me climb on the clouds so i could kill em all from the sky ^^