10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2012 4:00 AM by featherman84 RSS

So tell me

featherman84

I hear a lot(like 100%) of people around me(including me) complaining about the disadvantage due to lag in most of the played games,

but I noticed there are people on this forum wo don't seem to have this problem at all.

So I am curious, what are your connection settings and specs.

• Re: So tell me
    stonculd

I have comcast 35 down 8 up a local ping of 5-10 and from Portland to New York or Miami about 80. I am running wired straight into my broadband modem and my connection is great.

ghamorra

Connection doesn't really mean anything. As long as you have enough bandwidth to provide the game with a min of about 1mb/s your golden there. What it comes down to is match making. If you being paired up with people who live close to you and they have a solid connection as well then you won't have many lag issues

Foxhound-Pro

ghamorra wrote:

Bandwidth doesn't really mean anything. As long as you have enough bandwidth to provide the game with a min of about 1mb/s your golden there. What it comes down to is ping and matchmaking. If you being paired up with people who live close to you and they have a solid connection as well then you won't have many lag issues

#FTFY

Highwayman0226

I'm convinced it's more match making than anything else.  I have a pretty solid connection as well, and I lag all the time.  I frequently hear people speaking foreign languages in lobbies.  Yes, people speak other languages than english in the U.S., I'm aware of that.  These matches seem to be about the worst. 

Hopefully Treyarch gets to work on match making improvements as soon as they get all the other issues ironed out.  Til then, I'll work on gun camos and wait patiently.

Harv72

What I'm curious about as far as the matchmaking software is how it treats each lobby.  Specifically, if you choose "Best" on your connection settings, does it only connect other "Best" users to that host?  If not then there's the problem...you join a lobby where you have a solid connection to the host, but if there's a migration or even if other people don't have so strong a connection, you're going to experience lag issues.  I tend to think that's the case, as it would also answer the question about why lag can seem to come and go in the same match (other players with weaker connections join, and the compensation kicks in more noticeably).

And that's not even getting into difficulties with parties.

sennalike

ghamorra is spot on.  No matter how good your connection is if you have bad ping with the host then you will suffer.  But there are things you can do to reduce the odds of that. 

I've tried just about everything, but the biggest difference has been changing the primary and secondary DNS settings and reducing the MTU on both my router and PS3 settings.

I have a NAT Type 2 and am always open, and only occasionally suffer with any lag issues that I notice.

But, probably the single best bit of advice I can give you goes back to the beginning; avoiding a host whom you are likely to have bad ping with.  To do that all you need to do is listen out for foreign voices in the lobby and back out when you hear them.  It can be a pain sometimes, but I find it worth while.

What I've found most frustrating is the amount of games I'm not suited for (first 50 tried) then I'm sent into a room with a host 2000 miles away and using dial up. WTF!!! I live in south Florida and and probably 100000 people are playing down here and no one can or is available to host a match for me to play. Bullsh*t !!! I played 6 games of kc tonight and 5 of them I had less than 10 kills a match and upwards of 30 deaths. I'm  no beast by any means but when I watch the kill cam it is almost comical compared to what I thought I saw in the game. I'm  very fed up with this game and really wish I could just get my money back and by a new controller. Since I think it was there fault it got thrown across the room and against the wall and ran over and blown up and melted down..... you get the idea. lol

GALACT1C0s117

happens to me all the time the killcam shows me shooting all over the place but the guy who killed me.. I don't consider myself the best, but I also don't think i'm that bad. My connection is not the best but in MW3 I didn't lag as much. I think matchmaking is the problem people get match with people from other countries. I speak spanish and the other day I got put with people spoke spanish, i asked them where they were located, most of them located in south america. I'm currently in  Des mones, Iowa.

featherman84

I don't think matchmaking is the only monster which is screwing up the online gameplay, there has to be more.

I live in the northern part of the Netherlands in a very small Town called Drogeham, with let's say a thousand people, the place is close to Leeuwarden.

I usually connect to people who live at least 1500 kilometers away, like French,Scandinavian,Spanish,Italian and Turkish players.

In our town there are at least 50 people who got a ps3 and are playing callofduty.

There are a lot of small towns around us where the numbers are the same, so you would think enough people to fill different kind of gamelobbys.

But the system doesn't do this because of the faulty matchmaking, but on the other hand If the matchmaking works the same for everyone there shouldn't be a problem at all, everybody would connect to people in a radius for like 2000 km, but it doesn't there are people who have  constant good gameplay so there's no way they are connected to people this far away.

So there must be more than just matchmaking.

These are my specs 50 mb/s down  2,5 mb/s up and pinging around does 20 ms average

featherman84

sennalike wrote:

ghamorra is spot on.  No matter how good your connection is if you have bad ping with the host then you will suffer.  But there are things you can do to reduce the odds of that. 

I've tried just about everything, but the biggest difference has been changing the primary and secondary DNS settings and reducing the MTU on both my router and PS3 settings.

I have a NAT Type 2 and am always open, and only occasionally suffer with any lag issues that I notice.

But, probably the single best bit of advice I can give you goes back to the beginning; avoiding a host whom you are likely to have bad ping with.  To do that all you need to do is listen out for foreign voices in the lobby and back out when you hear them.  It can be a pain sometimes, but I find it worth while.

Thanks for the feedback, I tried this also but am not satisfied enough with it, it means I have to back out like 20 lobbys before I can play.