13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 7:11 PM by sennalike RSS

If you want a working game.

barneykiller

Here is the straight truth. If you want a working game quit buying every COD. I'm deciding not to and if any others want to join me in the strike against Activision then I commend you. If you don't want a working game then keep doing what you are doing. Keep supporting it and ******** at it in these forums. I am glad to give up on this series because they really don't care how well it runs as long as they keep making more and more money each year. Your choice.

• Re: If you want a working game.
    hyper72

Yeah last one for me cant take it anymore fun has been replaced with frustration shot lag is toss... I stopped buying maps in mw3.... Thought why run around new maps and lag...... Remove lag compensation.

snooziie

Money money money Must be funny In the rich man's world

sennalike

If they removed lag compensation (which I wish they would for a day to prove the point and stop this crazy notion) then instead of complaining about being killed by lag or lag compensation you would be complaining that you were killed by nobody, because there would be nobody on your screen.

hyper72

Dont remember that problem in mw2?          This is beyond a joke to unplayable not enjoyable..... Game starts i camp to get kill streak unleash killstreak then camp again to get kill streak..... Get murdered if i try and play normal by some clown with a turd connection a second ahead of me great play.

sennalike

You dont remember it in MW2 because A) it was made by IW not Treyarch and B) because it had a different lag comp set up.  I was saying what would happen if there was no lag comp.

GALACT1C0s117

and why they don't used the same setup? i'm just curious, is it because there is a lot more people playing the game?

sennalike

I read this so I dont know how true it is.  But whoever has the higher ping sees the other player first and therefore gets the "opportunity" to fire first.  In MW2 they set it up with a delay on high ping players to even it out.  Unfortunately this set up was only in MW2.

Like I said, I read that, not "my story" as it were.  You need the likes of maccabi on this site to explain it.  There is one of his post on this thread (first page)

http://community.activision.com/thread/200551964?start=0&tstart=0

maccabi knows what he is talking about.

GALACT1C0s117

ok thanks i'm going to read I try to make sense of it. I know a little about networking I was just curious about what they changed.

sennalike

Managed to find the message a guy sent to Vahn about the difference between MW2 and now.  Hopefully the guy who wrote it wont mind me plagurising his work!  It is on the internet and therefore in the public domain!  I believe what this guy says purely because of the number of times I see players with1, 2 or 3 bars top of the leaderboard at the end of a match, with 4 bar players behind them.

I believe the problem is client-side hit detection. Some people have touched on this a bit, but I don't believe nearly enough. The client-side hit detection, in its current form, is simply too forgiving, and gives the laggers--or at least the people with higher ping--the advantage, because laggers always see you first before you see them. Thus, when these laggers see you first, they shoot you first, on their screen, and therefore you die instantly--all this because of the forgiving nature of the client-side hit detection algorithm used in Black Ops 2.

The problem is that, even if you are lagging with a 3-bar or 2-bar connection, the client-side hit detection model in Black Ops 2 makes it so that all your bullets register perfectly and instantly. This isn't fair to other people with decent ping or 4-bars because, like I said earlier, laggers see you first. The person with the most lag/highest ping sees you before you see them, when they are turning a corner. Therefore, they shoot you--and kill you--on their screen, and you are actually dead before you even know it. This just isn't fair to people with good, low-ping connections.

MW2 used client-side hit detection also, but it wasn't forgiving. It actually delayed the lagger's bullets from registering depending on their ping. The higher their ping, the more delayed their bullets are before actually registering as hits. This is MUCH more fair, because people with good ping have an advantage, and people with bad ping have a disadvantage. NOBODY complained about MW2's lag or hit detection. Because it was FAIR, and made sense. For some reason, starting with MW3, they removed this client-side hit detection delay for laggers... and now everyone with decent internet is being punished and pissed off at how random gunfights are, and how they are dying instantly by 1-bullet by laggers running around a corner.

The bottom line is, Treyarch needs to change the netcode and hit-detection model to EXACTLY THE WAY MW2 was. If the hit detection and netcode becomes EXACTLY like MW2, or even COD4, then nobody would be complaining nearly as much as they are now. Period, case closed.

barneykiller

True that.

hyper72

A forum should be full off stuff about new ideas and tiny problems that need addressing but this is bad reading this forum its all bad.