17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 2:46 AM by Lagfullyawful RSS

A reminder to everyone: be patient.

Just a reminder, every CoD has has significant lag/connection problems the first month of release, then less people play it so the servers aren't as clogged, and then they release a few patches that fix a huge chunk of the issues. Don't give up yet. Treyarch are awesome developers that listen to the community, and I'm sure they're working on diagnosing and fixing the problems that are plaguing so many players at this time.

Just give them a while to attempt to fix it. The affect of millions of people playing at the same time on matchmaking and connection isn't something that can be foreseen and tested in the studios. Treyarch has not abandoned us, the usual post-launch tweaks are probably incoming. Ride out the storm, then we can really get into enjoying this (potentially) great game!

• Re: A reminder to everyone: be patient.
    iKushtyy

Listening to the community?? No.

There are alot of people who voiced their dislike for MW3's connection coding. People hated the Lag Comp in that game. What have they put in BO2?? Looks like the same system, only it's worse. To add to that, even when literally thousands of people voice their dislike for the conn problems, that tool Vahn says he needs video proof, and only thousands of people complainig about the same problem isn't enough, it's just all in our heads.

If by "listening to the community" you mean "hearing people complain, then doing a months worth of tweaking in 2 days and releasing a patch" then I guess you're right.

In any case, Treyarch usually bases their game off the frame of the last CoD, which includes the connection design problems that people dub "lag comp". It took IW/Sledgehammer 12 patches to fix up that game. It also may have been Activision's call to implement the connection system in BO2 and over 3Arc's head.

There is nothing wrong with wanting video proof. To put it simply, people's opinions/personal anecdote are the weakest kind of evidence in court, and personally I don't think its even evidence. Of course David wants evidence - It would cost the dev team a ton of money and time to research, find, and fix the connection issues, not to mention it costs a ton to constantly patch the game.

iKushtyy

Wouldn't cost anything extra if the game worked in the first place. Then noone would complain, and Vahn and co could go on holiday for a couple of weeks and not worry about a broken product on their hands. As for Lag Comp, I know it's not that, or buffer bloat, or whatever the new phrase/scapegoat has been imagined up today. What it seems to be is what I'm going to refer to as 'Ping Retardation', where people with fast Ping times are, in a sense, having their connections retarded, allowing the kid down the road hijacking his neighbours Wi-Fi with his shocking connection to catch up.

But as I said, "the game working in the first place" completely perfectly is something that is impossible to predict and adjust for. Treyarch doesn't have millions of players playing all at once when they are developing the game, it's just their in house crew or some other small operation. It is silly to expect a completely perfect online experience right out of the box. Of course there will be problems that won't be obvious until millions have them.

I actually like "Ping Retardation" beteer than lag comp, as that seems to be more accurately describing the problem. Just wait. People are going to post their PVRs of P.R. and they will adjust it. Just like MW3 and BO1, the game was released, had many issues upon release, and were patched and patched until almost all issues were resolved by half a year.

iKushtyy

erefgerg wrote:

But as I said, "the game working in the first place" completely perfectly is something that is impossible to predict and adjust for. Treyarch doesn't have millions of players playing all at once when they are developing the game, it's just their in house crew or some other small operation. It is silly to expect a completely perfect online experience right out of the box. Of course there will be problems that won't be obvious until millions have them.

I actually like "Ping Retardation" beteer than lag comp, as that seems to be more accurately describing the problem. Just wait. People are going to post their PVRs of P.R. and they will adjust it. Just like MW3 and BO1, the game was released, had many issues upon release, and were patched and patched until almost all issues were resolved by half a year.

I never expect a completely perfect online experience. I do expect "playable". I especially expect "playable" when this is the 6th major CoD title.

Also, it shouldn't take 1/2 a year to fix a game. It just shouldn't take that long. If it takes me a day to completely strip and rebuild an internal combustion engine, surely it should take less than 1/2 a year to shuffle some code about?

Do internal combustion engines have tens of millions of parts and you don't know which part is causing the problem? Not to be rude, but I think you gave a poor comparison. It is playable. Even if most games for most players have lag that stretches the line of tolerable, there are still many others who don't have the issues and are enjoying the game immensely.

And I would like you to be qualified in network coding before spouting your opinion that "it just shouldn't take that long to fix something!" Excuse me, but from what authority do you presume to tell them it shouldn't take that long, and that they should do it faster? Do you even know square one of what they have to do?

iKushtyy

You're telling me that after the 3rd time a CoD has been made that isn't up to par, they can't diagnose the problem, and they can't fix it relatively quickly?? Yea, OK. After 3 years of doing the same s**t, surely it's not rocket science.

I'm not getting into a flaming war with you. CBA. No, I don't know the first step of what they have to do, but if you think you have to own something for half a year before it works properly and as intended..... Well, I'll let you finish that sentence for yourself.

English Johnnie

But if they released a Beta then most of these issues would never have been left in this "finished" product. People who pay £40/$60 EXPECT a game to at least work, people will be patient with issues like Dead Silence being usless and bouncing Care Packages, but not with the same Lag Comp System issues for the last 2 titles.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

You're right, dude. I'll try and be a little more patient with this game. It's just frustrating and unplayable for me atm. The game is young, I know. It's just that it's not what I expected from it after all the hype. My number 1 problem is the lag while the skill based MM is 2nd. I just don't want to be playing tryhard all the time. I hope 3Arch will reconsider and make MM resemble the old system.

adw1983

The game is hosted by it's users, not servers..

The more users, the better the online experience because there's more hosts to pick from.

SphinxTalkin

I'm all for patience, and as for releaseing a perfect game. Why not do beta testing like BF3? Right now millions of people payed 65 dollars to beta test the game for 3arc, and as someone else already mention good old David Vondaheer wants video proof that there is a problem with his game. Heres a thought...why dont you go home and play the effing game yourself. I give it 3matches before you experience the full WTF is going on moment that this COD game offers. Magic bending bullets, Insta kills, people ghosting around corners and killing you before you ever see them.

Probably all just in my head tho right?

flobot84

LOL - millions of people? Have you seen how many people are playing this game? A fraction of the amount of previous COD's (maybe 450,000 active at one time) - everyone has clued up and realised that 3arc are listening, but its to the wrong people ie 'youtubers and pro gamers', so we end up with a game that is competitive and NO FUN!

obzi

Grab your post OP and take it back in time a year, post it on the MW3 forum and then come back to today to see how wrong you were.

MW3 has been out over a year and it's STILL not right, there is still a boat load of problems that have been there since day one, weeks after launch there were loads posts just like yours, even months in there were posts saying the same as yours and still nothing changed.

I know that was IW and this is Treyarch but I guarentee than in a year from today this game will still have some of the same problems it has today, your patience will be wasted and more importantly, with all the experience they have all this simply shouldn't t have happened.

SeraphOne

It would appear that Treyarch aren't playing their own game, which I'm not surprised by, because it's no fun. If they were playing it they'd notice all the things that are being mentioned above.

Not a single official word from them that there are any issues, in their books everyone is happy

I actually think this game could be great. Its just i dont stand a fighting chance due to something that appears to me to be lag. When you have 20 friends that play cod and ALL of therm have problems something is going on. Im always at a 1 sec disadvantage ive never had this problem with any cod or fps for that matter.