20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 6:23 AM by Aecetym RSS

Too many people the game can't handle it

K1ller_911

Im convinced now that somehow all the lag or bad match making has to do with too many people being online and the game just cant function right for whatever reason. Ive been playing MW3 the last couple days which now only has 120k people playing online and its playing almost flawless. The hit detection is great its like night and day. This would also explain why blops 2 plays better for me in the morning when less people are on. Its like their system is overloaded and cant keep up or something. Im not sure what they would have to do to upgrade in order to keep up with the volume of people playing but i believe it would solve the problem. Try it out if you dont believe it, MW3 is running like butter for me. Id like to see if other people who thought MW3 was really laggy just like this also notices the amazing difference now there not nearly many people playing and report back.

• Re: Too many people the game can't handle it
    iAmEFFeX

I actually think you might be on to something. It's always the same way for me. Additionally, I was playing a lot of Black Ops 1 prior to the release of the new game and it was handling really well with less players.

barneykiller

That's because Activision is cheap and they suck because they don't want to spend their precious money on servers to make their game better. Sucks for them because I'm not buying anymore of their shitty titles.

Linus_SC

This guy is correct. I was playing MW3 for like 3 hours yesterday and the connection and hit detection was spot on. In fact it was so good that it was the main reason I decided to play for 3 hours, which for me is amazing because I hated MW3 with a passion. I still hate it, but I did love the good connection and hit detection which made it enjoyable for me.

There was just over 100K people playing, which is not much at all, so I imagin the connection to the servers are not getting hammered.

With Black Ops 2 there seems to be a trend. Because even a youtube commentator who plays COD for a living mentioned that the connections to the Black Ops 2 servers are only good for him at certain times of the day. This is what he said and I quote "servers are trash from 2pm est till 4am est. no point in playing. in those hours."

He plays on Xbox 360 though, I'm not sure if the PS3 servers are on the same server as Xbox 360 but who knows. I played Black Ops 2 in the morning and the connections seem ok when there were less than 250K people.

With all the money these people make you would think they would have the best servers up and running. Seems like they don't, and with the lag compensation working against anyone with a good connection, this game is just not enjoyable at all. Hopefully the connections will be improved with time, but right now I just can't stand it.

MW3 never had the issues Black Ops 2 has, so I don't see how you make and sense

Linus_SC

MW3 connections were terrible the first couple months the game was out, horrible lag compenstation if you were the host you were screwed by terrible lag. Making it unplayable at times. Since the game has less people playing, and some improvements have been made as far as lag compenstation tweaks in patches that came out, its now more playable than Black Ops 2. MW3 had alot of connectrion issues at its prime.

ragemode_E

imo the real lag issues began in mw2 and got worse from there. The only thing I can think of is not the people playing. But the stats that are now being recorded. In mw2 they began showing more stats to view for all players. In mw3 they began displaying even more. All that data had to be recorded and their is alot going on. The hotspots for the maps, assists, lethal kills, tactical hits, kills with specific weapons etc. I'm sure they recorded some of that in the previous w@w and cod4 but not to the extent that it is now. But who knows really. Thats just my opinion.

ghamorra

I had some great games in MW3 and those numbers were hitting in the millions on some weekend DBL XP nights. Those were few and far between but the average population on MW3 sat around 500k, the lag was tolerable at times and didn't do much damage to my experience

What I think is stressing the system is the location of these players. Call of Duty is becoming an international hit so more and more "outside" players are loggin in. You're seeing more people from South America, Europe, Austrailia, and Asia getting online. This number is slowly leveling off with the amount of North American players and that's why there's lag. People are match up with those who live thousands of miles aways

Aecetym

Everyone is leaving BO2 so if this is the problem it will only be a matter of weeks before u have problems finding full lobbies. But for me the problems all started after the patch.

Scorr

Only the matchmaking is ran on a server, the actual games are P2P. Servers are fine, they should simply only alow players to play if they ping under like 60ms to the host. Would solve everything.

K1ller_911

Like i said for whatever reason the games run better with less people. It has to be a congestion problem imo. Mw3 was exactly the same way when it had alot of people online but now plays almost perfect. The problem was magnified during clan ops when  the online users were at peak numbers. I specifically remember clan ops time frames to be when it was at it's worst. Something is happening on their end with the servers, the netcode or whatever it is that just cant handle the sheer volume of people. Theres no other explanation in my mind..why MW3 now magically plays like a dream because i played it right up until blops 2 came out and it was crap from day 1 until this release and the number of online users dropped off  to 120k and now its the same thing all over again.

40UP

I noticed more issues when they started having split screen

Izjar11

Im convinced now that somehow all the lag or bad match making has to do with too many people being online and the game just cant function right for whatever reason. Ive been playing MW3 the last couple days which now only has 120k people playing online and its playing almost flawless.

This is how it is, its no secret less people playing, less stress on the servers and connection is improved!