31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 12:55 PM by rankismet RSS

BO2 is not about perks... it's about attachments

rankismet

While working on the Art of War and Cherry Blossom camos for a weapon it became very clear to me...

... it's all about attachments.

Having to run around with no perks I noticed very little difference (other than missing scavenger) but using no attachments with more perks is a lot different. The key to succes in this game is all about what is on your gun.

Am I nuts?

• Re: BO2 is not about perks... it's about attachments
    nicedrewishfela

First of all.. yes you are nuts.

But aren't we all?

I don't think it is one over the other. I think what I am loving about this game is that the attachments actually mean something... and the perks actually give you an ability that makes a difference. I did the same thing last night, went for Art of War and surprised myself at how well I did. The only downside was getting hit by scorestreaks without Blind Eye.

I don't know if it is about one or the other... but I think it is cool that they actually do something in this game.

rankismet

nicedrewishfela wrote:

First of all.. yes you are nuts.

But aren't we all?

I don't think it is one over the other. I think what I am loving about this game is that the attachments actually mean something... and the perks actually give you an ability that makes a difference. I did the same thing last night, went for Art of War and surprised myself at how well I did. The only downside was getting hit by scorestreaks without Blind Eye.

I don't know if it is about one or the other... but I think it is cool that they actually do something in this game.

I tend to roll with hardline since I seem to get blown up by them anyway...

I just noticed how much a difference the attachments make to a weapon. It's pretty drastic to me.

And I should have said... "Am I completely nuts?"

I am most definitely partially off my rocker.

nicedrewishfela

I just hate running from streaks, so Blind Eye is a staple for me. Nothing annoys me more than getting killed by a streak.

Engineer is another one. Playing HC, the board lights up like a Christmas Tree. I can communicate enemy position, and combined with my Black Hat I can use it to my advantage. Dexterity is one of my all time favorite perks. I love being able to climb and mantle so quickly. I love climbing the rooftops on Plaza and surprising the roof dwellers up there.

But I agree... the attachments are really where it is at. I think the idea was to bring the game back to more gun on gun action. I used to rely on my Red Dot far too much in previous titles, but I rarely use the optics on this game. The iron sights are fantastic on most guns. I am a big believer in the Foregrip on ARs and SMGs as I enjoy the stability they give. It is nice to use a suppressor and not be punished for it. The Quickdraw handle helps ARs significantly in CQB.  A lot of my friends swear by the Target Finder. The ACOG is actually useful; doesn't take up too much of the screen and actually zooms in a bit(Plus the Reticles are fun and I like that the challenges to unlock them are dependent on the Optic, not the weapon).  Not a big fan of hip fire, but the laser is definitely helpful. Even the Holographic sight, which I have never been a big fan of, is useful.

I think the thing is.. can you imagine playing the previous games without your perks? I don't think I can (Yes I know it wasn't possible, just a hypothetical). But you are right, the attachments are effective enough in this game that one could go without perks and still have success.

This game does a great job of allowing people to play their style.

rankismet

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I just hate running from streaks, so Blind Eye is a staple for me. Nothing annoys me more than getting killed by a streak.

Engineer is another one. Playing HC, the board lights up like a Christmas Tree. I can communicate enemy position, and combined with my Black Hat I can use it to my advantage. Dexterity is one of my all time favorite perks. I love being able to climb and mantle so quickly. I love climbing the rooftops on Plaza and surprising the roof dwellers up there.

Scavenger with EMP grenades.... oodles of fun.

nicedrewishfela

I put my EMP grenades on for the first time the other day (Odd for me, had them on every class in MW3 but am stuck on my Black Hat PDA). Very impressed by how many points you can get using those. Chuck one into a room laden with enemy equipment and rack up the points. Take out a streak with em, even better.

rankismet

nicedrewishfela wrote:

I put my EMP grenades on for the first time the other day (Odd for me, had them on every class in MW3 but am stuck on my Black Hat PDA). Very impressed by how many points you can get using those. Chuck one into a room laden with enemy equipment and rack up the points. Take out a streak with em, even better.

Took out a sentry, two betties, and two shock sticks with one EMP nade. And nothing beats dropping a dragon fire from across the map with a well thrown one.

gallp13

I agree with OP but I think it's based on individual strengths and weaknesses.

If I slow my play style and go tryhard tactical I can stay alive without perks. This is about map knowledge and predicting opposition movement, which is much easier on BO2 with lower ghost utility.

I am older and reflexes are slower, so I need att to help snap onto targets as fast as others to win gun fights.

oh PS I am nuts

D3adlyg0d

I noticed this also when trying to get gold for guns.  When I get to the part where I have to get 150 kills with no perks and no attachments I realize that I do alot better when I have attachments on.  I also realize that this depends from gun to gun. 

I'm tending to agree with you.  What always pissed me off was being limited to two attachments.  Now I can choose to strip off other things and run three attachments.One of the few "diamonds in the rough" that is this iteration.

I think your trying to say that the "perks" have been muted somewhat vs. early versions of them.  Which I would also agree with.

rankismet

SandyV wrote:

I'm tending to agree with you.  What always pissed me off was being limited to two attachments.  Now I can choose to strip off other things and run three attachments.One of the few "diamonds in the rough" that is this iteration.

I think your trying to say that the "perks" have been muted somewhat vs. early versions of them.  Which I would also agree with.

Exactly... perks are so toned down from previous titles. But an SMG with laser sight, grip, and FMJ is f-ing awesome.

Only perk u need is ghost

Only attachment u need is silencer

With these 2 perks I'm at my best scavenger is usually needed but blops 2 lag means I don't get on a friggin 4 streak lol never mind a vitol

Only useful attachments I'd say are silencer maybe ex mags and stock

The rest are gimicky but it's good as lots of people use them things like the laser for hip fire lol

I can hipfire fine so it's nice that you don't need a perk to get a tighter spread. You just need to be able to aim lol

nflfenatic

What i've noticed is the the perks in this game are basically the same as the pro perks in other games and the attachements (some of them) are the same as the basic perks in the other cod's. Laser sight =steady aim. quickdraw= attachement. sleight of hand = attachement. This pick 10 is awesome imo. You can make a super soldier with all perks plus weapon perks. Or you can make a basic runner. I made a class with only a secondary weapon that is truly a fun class. Fast enough to see lots of action.

JSlayer211

This game is overly attachment happy imo. Instead of going overkill, you can have a much more potent gun in just adding one more attachment to it. Guns with 3 attachments are normally beastly and there is no need for a secondary if you have scavenger. I wouldn't say that you can go perkless b/c of how strong the attachments are, but if you had to choose which one to do without, the attachments would win hands down. They basically took previous perks and put them into attachments, ex. Steady aim aka laser sight; marksman aka target finder. This pretty much dumbs the game down though as people spend lots of time looking for large red diamonds on their screen. Hip firing has never been this easy to me lol. I don't really ADS unless I am at a stop in a sniping spot. Stock does not give you Stalker like movement (although seems like that's what they intended), kind of an upgrade from snail to turtle. Still slow enough for anyone with decent aim to drill you like crazy.

TLDR: Attachments play much too big of a part into the game play as you need too many attachments to maintain a level of gameplay that was previously possible. So now everyone just plays the same way, cookie cutter uninspired black and white uniforms of gameplay. Count the lasersight/silencer SMG combo's you see today and tell me that I'm lying.

rankismet

JSlayer211 wrote:

This game is overly attachment happy imo. Instead of going overkill, you can have a much more potent gun in just adding one more attachment to it. Guns with 3 attachments are normally beastly and there is no need for a secondary if you have scavenger. I wouldn't say that you can go perkless b/c of how strong the attachments are, but if you had to choose which one to do without, the attachments would win hands down. They basically took previous perks and put them into attachments, ex. Steady aim aka laser sight; marksman aka target finder. This pretty much dumbs the game down though as people spend lots of time looking for large red diamonds on their screen. Hip firing has never been this easy to me lol. I don't really ADS unless I am at a stop in a sniping spot. Stock does not give you Stalker like movement (although seems like that's what they intended), kind of an upgrade from snail to turtle. Still slow enough for anyone with decent aim to drill you like crazy.

TLDR: Attachments play much too big of a part into the game play as you need too many attachments to maintain a level of gameplay that was previously possible. So now everyone just plays the same way, cookie cutter uninspired black and white uniforms of gameplay. Count the lasersight/silencer SMG combo's you see today and tell me that I'm lying.

I'm going to make a kit that just has scavenger, too. Three attachments with lethal/tactical plus a secondary = win.

Tick7

Without doubt, attachments are the most important part of your class. Here's why:

In Black Ops 2, you can break down the attachments into three categories:

FIRST - All the traditional attachments that you are used to having; things like a reflex sight, suppressor, and FMJ

SECOND - The attachments that represent traditional perks from previous games, like steady aim, sleight of hand, ad quickdraw

THIRD - All the new attachments that are apart of this game that haven't appeared in other games before; the Target Finger and the MMS for example.

In Black Ops 2, you aren't just using the traditional attachments that you loved in previous games. You are using traditional perks that are now attachments, as welll as some of the new ones that Treyarch  have thrown in.

For this reason, PRIMARY GUNFIGHTER = a must on all of my classes. I would go as far as to say that if you aren't using Primary Gunfighter you are probably doing it wrong!

JSlayer211

These are all the attachments that reflect perks or proficiencies in previous CoD's afaik.

Ballistic CPU- Stability Proficiency

Adjustable Stock- Stalker Perk

Fast Mag- Sleight of Hand Perk

Full Metal Jacket- Impact Proficiency + Blind Eye Pro Perk + Damage Proficiency(? maybe/maybe not as I notice no reduction in kill time when I use FMJ)

Laser Sight- Steady Aim Perk

Long Barrel- Range Proficiency

Quickdraw Handle- Quickdraw Perk

Target Finder- Marksman Perk

Millimeter Scanner*- Portable Radar Tactical (Just added this one for giggles)

MrJDubbs11

If I could take more attachments I would.  I really have very little use of the perks other than Blind eye and maybe engineer.  But since I get to take 10 things and I am limited from a attachment perspective I might as well take some perks with me. 

The key to success in this game is not guns, perks or attachments but who gets the good side of the lag compensation. End of story.

r33k

try NO attachments and NO perks. you get your cherry and art at the same time.

but yes, perks make a big difference in gameplay. that is, unless you dont play objective games.

like in CTF, lightweight and extreeme conditioning and running just a handgun will allow you to cap that flag faster than it takes the game to tell the enemy its been taken lol.

Well, Perks improve your character abilities and attachments your gun-play.

So you become more efficent killer thanks to better gunplay.

trialstardragon

Nope not at all. but when I go for those cammos i remove all perks and attachments at that time and work on both of them at the same time. then real skill with the gun becomes aparent because you are not relying on any additional things to help you along.

It is the proper choice of both attachment and perk combination for the class that really makes a difference.

No need to use lw on a lmg class, so on every lmg class I always remove and use something else. just like on smg classes lw is needed to help get you close faster. combine lw with adjustable stock and some guns are down right hard to handle because they aim to fast at my senstivity settings.

So really picking the right attachment for the right gun with the right perks to compliment is the key to doing well with a gun.

except the svu, for it just kills easily in core or hc as it is, even though some say it is too slow or weak compared to the fal...

rankismet

trialstardragon wrote:

Nope not at all. but when I go for those cammos i remove all perks and attachments at that time and work on both of them at the same time. then real skill with the gun becomes aparent because you are not relying on any additional things to help you along.

It is the proper choice of both attachment and perk combination for the class that really makes a difference.

No need to use lw on a lmg class, so on every lmg class I always remove and use something else. just like on smg classes lw is needed to help get you close faster. combine lw with adjustable stock and some guns are down right hard to handle because they aim to fast at my senstivity settings.

So really picking the right attachment for the right gun with the right perks to compliment is the key to doing well with a gun.

except the svu, for it just kills easily in core or hc as it is, even though some say it is too slow or weak compared to the fal...

A mix of perks is helpful...

... but in the past it was perks and not attachments which dominated play.

I feel that both attachments and perks have both adv and disadv to game play depending on the game mode you are playing, you're particular type of game play, the type of players you are playing against and the map you are playing on.

I have been playing around with different attachments and perks as well trying to see what works best for me, but often what worked for me on a particular map and game mode an hour ago...doesn't seem to be working now as I am playing against different players...so I switch to a different class that is set up differently during the game.

The most important thing for me, is to have different classes set up differently that I can switch to if need be in a particular situation.

This is my first post i logged in especially to thank you guys,

nothing beats going perks only and killing someone then picking up their UBER 5 point weapon and owning with that thats the downside of attachments, you die i get your weapon and use my perks to kill you again <3

xx,

UO

Edit:

So, i just made a new class with only perks no weapon, so im just gona wait till a teammate dies or i can knife an opponent and steal their wep.

this way you will get the use many different guns, like the pdw with all attachment, since thats all i ever see

Message was edited by: Zikairo