16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 4:37 AM by flobot84 RSS

Skill Based Matchmaking

flobot84

There is a growing rumour that the public lobbies have a skill based factor while matchmaking. My experiences so far would tend to agree with this as I am constantly placed in lobbies with parties and high prestigers. Here are my concerns:

1. I like to play COD for fun - fun for me is a mix of tough matches where it is a huge fight for victory and other matches where you are able to dominate, achieve high killstreaks and feel good about yourself. Currently I only experience the former and this is resulting in a lack of enjoyment.

2. If I wanted to experience tough competition and evenly matched gameplay all the time I would use the league play feature - why have skill-based public lobbies when you have this playlist?

3. With the current problems regarding lag/lag compensation, playing only very competent COD players results in insta-deaths - all the time. This is the worst combination I could imagine. The result is that only people with the benefit of the lag system and those who are excellent at the game actually get to enjoy the experience.

4. All of the above combined make it so difficult to play without Ghost. When I am on the UAV, I always lose my gunfights (this is Blops 2 specific as I have never struggled in this area before - I believe my lag issues are the biggest cause here)

5. UAV spamming - when the matches are so competitive, the killstreaks are damn hard to get, hence everyone uses the UAV. They are constant, and those who say 'shoot them down' have a point, but this is just completely ruining the flow of the game.

6. WingofRedemption likes the new system - It must be wrong (a man that plays behind a party, standing behind a shoulder high object with a target finder on an assault rifle should not be the type of person that this benefits!)

All of the above are causing my enjoyment to drop, to a point that I'm not looking forward to my evenings on the game. I've already had 2 friends get rid of the game and surely this will happen more and more often. The number of people online is already a shadow of the amount that used to be on back at Blops 1.

There may be people who disagree and say that people like me just can't handle playing decent players, but the fact is - I can handle it, I just don't enjoy it all the time. I want to be able to have fun and be rewarded with some high killstreaks in Public lobbies. I don't want to be forced to play COD in a single, 'accepted' way. The beauty of the game I fell in love with (COD4, MW2) was the variety of play styles and the randomness of the competition.

There is a benefit to the new system - new players have a gradual introduction. On the flips side however, most of the verterans at one point were the 'noobs' - I had my ass handed to me on COD4 and got better in time. For a basic reference (not an indication of skill) my k/d's are as follows: COD4 1.05, WAW 1.15, MW2 2.2, Blops1 2.6, MW3 3.35, Blops2 1.5 (I have been nerfed simply from the leveling out that is expected when playing against other decent players)

I am not sure who 3arc are listening to? just those with the loudest voices I guess. Most players are only playing for fun and all the changes that get made seem to move closer to competitive play. It is the same with the inclusion of a feature like theatre mode (from which I believe a lot of the lag is caused as it was intruduced in Blops 1 and connections have never been the same since) I'm not a 'Youtuber' and nor do I want to be one. If these 'budding fearcrads' are that serious they will buy the necessary equipment.

All in all, I miss my lobbies with split screen rank 1-30's! I really want some variety in challenge back in the game. I will be finished before Xmas if nothing changes. I hope that is not the case as COD has been my hobby for 5 years now.

Rant Over.

• Re: Skill Based Matchmaking

tldr: op is crying that he can no longer pick on noobs -> gets matched with decent people and gets his ass handed to him -> which causes his e-stats to drop -> which causes him to lose self esteem -> but he refuses to accept the fact that he was never "good" at this game to begin with so he uses "lag compensation" as an excuse, and ultimately comes onto the forums to demand that the game gets patched in a manner that allows him to play against "split screen rank 1-30's" so his e-peen becomes bigger again.

flobot84

LOL - I covered everything you said in my post.

Like I said above, it is not that I can't handle it, but I want to be able to have fun sometimes too. Competitive games are not the way for me.

I never once said I was anything special at COD, and I'm aware there are many better than me - I just don't want to play with them every game!

Simple fact is, the game is more fun when the lobbies are random - sometime you play good players, sometime you play bad players.

I don't need to 'prove' my skill level to anyone, and have never tried. My sole aim is to get enjoyment out of my favourite game. Perhaps read the post properly and give an opinion rather than assume to know me you idiot

so in other words you want noobs or poor players to be thrown in with good players and get smashed?

You will still get the odd game where you dominate massively but i like the fact that there isnt a constant never ending run of killstreaks (or scorestreaks now)destroying you at every turn.

players should be playing with other players of the same ability its makes the game a challenge and also more importantly fair!  there will always be problems with lag comp etc but you know when you have been a victim of that and you also know when you have simply been beaten by better players/tactics etc..Score streaks should be a hard earned thing, and feel like you desrved them with a good run or whatever, nto just be expected every game

flobot84

While I do agree with you - the game just isn't playing right. But as I mentioned above, there is league play for 'fairness' and equal ability play.

I really think that the random element is what makes the game fun. I do enjoy these 'difficult' games, I just don't feel like I want to play them all evening.

Maybe I have been misunderstood - my comment about 'noobs' was meant as a joke, I will be happy to play them, but also happy to play a party of prestigers - right now I only get the latter. Maybe it is just me that doesn;t get any enjoment out of the same constant play style required, same format, same challenge?

flobot84

Oh, and further to your comment about 'noobs being smashed by good players' - there is combat training, which has the purpose of introducing people into the game.

So we have combat training for noobs, league play for competitive, evenly matched games. I think it is fair enough that my expectation is for pubs to be random.

the only problem with things like this is, people will eventually rank up and prestige and still be very average/poor players at the game just for hours spent, but doing skill matchmaking it allows those player who put in the time and effort on the game to experience high scorestreak rewards occasionally and not be put off but getting destroyed game after game.

I undestand where your coming from but just dont agree and i seriously dont think the devs would do something to hurt gamers who arnt the best at the game.

flobot84

No, I agree. But in fairness I do think that the already badly hit COD community is going to take another big hit from this.

My opinion is that we all learned in random lobbies, so why shouldn't the new wave of players? Whilst I understand that back in the days of COD 4 the learning curve wasn't as steep as there were less 'experienced' players, that is the philosophy for having a combat training - something I never had when learning and being owned.

Playing against good players is a good way to get better and measure yourself. This may sound contradictory to my post, but it is not - I also like to play against really great players as I can learn a thing or 2, this system also makes that unlikely.

It all goes back to my point about variation. There isn't enough in this game, as a result most games for me tend to play out the same.

SitRepPro

gaskell83 wrote:

You will still get the odd game where you dominate massively but i like the fact that there isnt a constant never ending run of killstreaks (or scorestreaks now)destroying you at every turn.

You mean like the Pred/Reaper/AC-130 spam in MW3 or like MW2 in general?  My only issue is that connectivity should never be compromised in skill assessed matchmaking.  It does making League play a bit pointless though.

I tend to treat BO2 for competition and then play WaW for fun but that's me.

flobot84

Thats interesting, choosing another COD for fun - this is my point completely, there is no playlist for fun in this game. That is what public is all about. The introduction of league play is great, but it is currently pointless, I agree.

SitRepPro

flobot84 wrote:

Thats interesting, choosing another COD for fun - this is my point completely, there is no playlist for fun in this game. That is what public is all about. The introduction of league play is great, but it is currently pointless, I agree.

Well the game on BO2 does seem to overly favour competition and uber reaction times.  Domination is two halves and timed now.  So I can see where people say that MLG has had too much of an influence but some of the gamers who moaned about apsects of previous CODs have got their way anyway (Ghost nerf etc).

Have you tried playing at different times though?  I tend to find that playing on a Saturday is a chore.  I don't mind playing against people of supposed equal skill but I can do without behind half a second behind everyone when using an LMG.

If I see fewer YT videos of pub stomping from this game than other titles then that's a good thing.  I know you're not one of those people but it's always amusing to see some people complain about not having easy games because the tables have turned.  Atm the constant overuse and possibly overpowered SMGs do my head in.

flobot84

I try when I can, but work full-time and have wife and kids so it is pretty much just evenings.

Personally, I can't seem to get more than 2-3 games a night where the connection isn't off. This is the first COD that I have been on the bad side of the lag (I suffered for a little while in blops 1, but I felt that the people I was shooting were also suffering so it evened itself out)

I agree with the lag though, maybe if they fix that I will feel better about it generally. Right now, all things combined are just lowering my interest.

SitRepPro

flobot84 wrote:

I try when I can, but work full-time and have wife and kids so it is pretty much just evenings.

Personally, I can't seem to get more than 2-3 games a night where the connection isn't off. This is the first COD that I have been on the bad side of the lag (I suffered for a little while in blops 1, but I felt that the people I was shooting were also suffering so it evened itself out)

I agree with the lag though, maybe if they fix that I will feel better about it generally. Right now, all things combined are just lowering my interest.

Ah I finish work at 9am so I play during the day.  During the weekends, especially a Saturday, everyone seems to have super duper aim.  I feel I have to take speed to compete at times.  MW3 was pretty iffy in the first few weeks I had it and it kinda got better over time.  I'd come out of the concrete pipes in Hardhat only to be shot by someone not on my screen and the killcam shows I've turned the corner when I haven't got there yet.

I don't know the exact parameters of how the matchmaking works but it will probably be changed soon.  I only mentioned WaW being more fun purely because it's no so fast paced.  Dome in MW3 is actually one of my best maps but sometimes it's nice to have a break from the most intense maps and try new stuff out etc.

The matchmaking has kinda put me with more people outside of my country and the laggiest lobbies have come from this matchmaking change.  I try and not lobby surf but I would rather be in a lobby of gamers where everyone is based in the same country as me, and not have every person from different countries because that won't help the lag.

this whole skill based matchmaking thing is amusing to me.

A, it isnt soley based on skill, its a factor the game takes into account but not the be and end all.

B, when it does put you in a try hard lobby's, it great. we played some clan on raid, was a close game until they cottoned onto our gameplan and then thrashed us, was still great game, learned somthing from it.

can understand some peoples concerns, but again, its only 1 factor in many that determines who you get put with. The thing i find most amusing is the youtubers, gonna have to work much harder now for those gameplay, cry me a river commentators

flobot84

Point A, agreed - but it is clearly having an influence.

Point B, hmmm. Like I said before, it is good to play these games, but I don't like it all the time.

I think its clear that its just my preference on the type of game I want to play. Perhaps COD just isn't going to be for me anymore. Its not really my idea of fun to play against halo jumping, drop shotting, quick scoping players in every lobby. That just builds up my frustration and I don't get the level of enjoment out of it that I used to. (before others misread this comment, I'm not saying I can't handle players like this, I just don't want to ALL NIGHT LONG)

yea fair enough man, im on the other end of were your coming from, the fun for me comes from the competition, winning against good players. to each his own. im not gonna lie and say i havnt enjoyed nukin people in mw2 or getting the blackbird/choppergunner/dogs in blops 1, is fun, but it is what it is.

flobot84

A good vid from a really good cod player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOW6xm7tZVo

Says it much better than I can. This is exactly what I think, and what I was trying to say.