26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 2:40 PM by MLGTWISTED RSS

Light Machine Guns

Joco3000

I know how much people like to run about on this game with maximun mobility, but I also know there are those who prefer a slightly slower paced game. With that in mind, why are the LMG's such a rare sight in-game?

I know they have their disadvantages (Slow movement speed and ADS speeds), but they have their advantages (High Magazine sizes and High(ish) damage).

The only times I actually see an LMG in-game is when I use one, my friend uses one, the default target finder LSAT class or when one of our LMG's gets pick up (My friend has most of them gold so they might be appealing to some people. I know a lot of people liked picking up my gold Dragunov in MW3).

Would you guys give me some insight on why LMG's are so rarely used by the common random?

• Re: Light Machine Guns
    banned-again

ive a lmg setup but they are very hard to do well with in this game infact they have been getting harder and harder to use with every cod game im convinced some where down the line they will drop them all together

UKYank

I use the LSAT with target finder and Ithink the gun is under powered. A lot of people would say the LAG comp is the reason and it's difficult to disagree with them, but even when I use it in combat training I find you need to place a good amount of bullets ontarget to get a kill. yet you still experience all the other pitfalls of using an LMG:

Slower running pace

Slower to aim

Slower to reaim while shooting

Slower to reload

I think the reason behind this is that in the COD programmer's mind (both 3arc and IW) they dont want eveyone running around using the same class of weapon so they nerf if.

They are worthless, plain and simple. There isn't a situation where they will come out ahead of an AR or SMG, thus there is no reason to use them.

I'd have to agree with all the responses here so far.

I am a big fan of LMGs because they are different, and they have always been great for anti air support.

My first 500 kills on this game were all LMG kills (MK48), then I messed around a bit with SMGs for a bit, then another 500 LMG kills with the LSAT.

Strangely enough in this game as others have said, an SMG will outgun a LMG nearly every time even at mid range. The very slow ADS time coupled with the recoil pattern make them harder and slower to get shots on target AND THEN when you land the shots on target there are WAY TOO MANY HITMARKERS.

For an anti air support / long range engagement player such as myself you are better off with a Sniper and a Black Hat or Stinger than a LMG with FMJs.

Don't get me wrong I will continue to use the LMGs out of sentimentality because I do love them, but I by far out perform my LMG classes with my Sniper classes now and that has never been the case before.

I love the fact that they have given us a tele scope this time though. Thumbs up for that one.........

Stumperud78

I don't have much trouble with my LSAT on any map being slow on ADS.

I'm using QDH/FMJ/TF. Works like a charm. Yes, i'm using PMGF. Sacked my secondary weapon (Face it, with that many bullets to spare you don't need one).

Combine it with lightweight and you're not that slow.

An LMG isn't meant for run & gun though ( i'm a defender on CTF which is the game mode i prefer to play). So if you're running all over the place with it, no wonder you're looking at it in this way.

LMG is a mid/long range support weapon type, meant for cover and suppresion fire. That's the bottom line. It's not a run & gun weapon for CQs. I am guessing that's why it's so rare, because most of the younger generations of COD players prefer the Unreal Tournament gaming style of run & gun. That's where the SMG's or Assault Rifles are more suited.

COD_WIDOW wrote:

For an anti air support / long range engagement player such as myself you are better off with a Sniper and a Black Hat or Stinger than a LMG with FMJs.

I take out Stealth Choppers/UAV with my LSAT faster than my teammates can get a lock-on with their launchers.

Stumperud78 wrote:

I don't have much trouble with my LSAT on any map being slow on ADS.

I'm using QDH/FMJ/TF. Works like a charm. Yes, i'm using PMGF. Sacked my secondary weapon (Face it, with that many bullets to spare you don't need one).

Combine it with lightweight and you're not that slow.

An LMG isn't meant for run & gun though ( i'm a defender on CTF which is the game mode i prefer to play). So if you're running all over the place with it, no wonder you're looking at it in this way.

LMG is a mid/long range support weapon type, meant for cover and suppresion fire. That's the bottom line. It's not a run & gun weapon for CQs. I am guessing that's why it's so rare, because most of the younger generations of COD players prefer the Unreal Tournament gaming style of run & gun. That's where the SMG's or Assault Rifles are more suited.

COD_WIDOW wrote:

I take out Stealth Choppers/UAV with my LSAT faster than my teammates can get a lock-on with their launchers.

I'm well aware of the LMG's role in or on the battlefield, and I never said or implied that I run and gun with an LMG. That is suicidal IMO.

Tha LMGs are as you say for camping up in a tactical position and Defending, or covering Flank routes and Choke points. I have found with this title that I enjoy more success and a better KDR doing this job with a Sniper rifle.

In Black Ops 1, my first Golden Gun was the M60.

In MW3 my top 5 Kill Count and KDR guns were all of the LMGs.

I ran Blind Eye Pro on all 5 of my LMG classes for the anti air support role so I really am no newbie to LMGs and their strengths/weaknesses/roles.

UKYank

My game play is tactical patroling and defending so the LMG works for me. Run and Gun is not my style.

But when I'm at chock points getting beaten 90% of the time when I put rounds down field (with hit markers) before the opponent (conservatively 80% of the time), I think the coding is pretty dire.

cwatz

Its all the ADS time for me.  You literally have to sit in perma ads watching corners to be effective. 

Personally I think the mobility hit is big enough.  ADS should be on par with other weapons.  Without it they will largely be useless... again.

obzi

I've been trying out the HAMR recently on TDM and actually doing reasonably well with it, the SMG boys quickly run out of bullets and have to reload while the LMGs just keep on going and going.

It's a different style of play and they don't work well on every map but I'm determined to stick with them just to give another level to this quite shallow game.

Noob_Lyncher

oddly enough, all of the LMGs in this game are good. There's usually only 2-3 good ones, but all of them are good.

SitRepPro

All the LMGs are good but the maps aren't great for LMG usage imo.  You need Adjustable Stock and Quickdraw Handle I reckon, plus I use Fore Grip as the third attachment.  I'm using them because I want diamond camo on them.

It all depends on what game mode you are playing.

LMGs are for a very defensive playstyle, and require the most patience to use out of all the weapon classes. They are best used to defend objectives in game modes like Headquarters, Hardpoint, and Domination.

I know a person who absolutely loves the LSAT (he combines it with the assault shield to make a mobile head-glitching defensive position). I love the LSAT too, but I'm far too impatient, so I use the FAL OSW w/ Select Fire and Extended Clip. It can fulfill the same role, but requires much less patience since it is far more mobile.

Swaggin412

I love LMGs and used them in all other CODs. the LSAT is my favorite gun with Target Finder, Fore Grip and FMJ. I play a lot of demolition, very useful for locking down a bomb sight. You can destroy anybody rushing the bomb and most of the time I get kills by shooting through the bomb when people try to lay down and plant. The large magazine size is awesome too, the downsides are mobility and reload times, it just depends on your play style and game types sometimes.

trialstardragon

Right now all I am using is a lmg. the mk48. and with it I crush wannabe run n gun smg players. the only ones I worry about are teh spamming svu players or the decent aiming ar players.

mk48 suppressed and vz and it becomes a damnable full auto sniper that can hit targets across the entire map. Carrier.. no problem snipe from one side to other with it. Aftermath, no problem. Hijacked, trade out the supressor for fmj and no problem spray people down throuhg the floors and walls.

I have yet to really have a reason to use any other lmg but this one. even teh lsat is not as good as the mk imo.

Swaggin412

ive also played a game with some clan mates - we all ran LMGs, assault shields, trophy systems, tactical masks and flak jacket. you can make a circle around each other with the shields, along with the trophy systems or in a straight line. its fun and kinda difficult to defend

I've only use LMGs throughout my whole playthrough of this game, MW3 and BO1. It's been like this when I started playing a lot more defence on gamemodes, like demolition on BO1. LSAT is a great LMG to use but I would rather use the HAMR. I have it gold and I'm trying to get my stinger golden also. The slow movement doesn't bother me cause I'm pretty much use to it. The target finder is useless for me since there is better alternatives for attachements. :)

the hamr is my favorite gun next to the FAL, and i lov eit, put a QDR on it maybe a grip and you have next to 0 recoil and can fire 75 bullets, easily getting multiple kills...and i almost always get 3H kills with it ( never tried other LMGS so i dont know about them)

I like the LMGs i think there awesome, used them quite a bit in MW3. However i am struggling to do any good with them on this game. I feel theres not much competitiveness about them compared to the SMGs, i seem to easily get mowed down by them at medium/long range which i find very annoying and shouldnt be that easy with those types of guns.

Love the MK48, has to be my favorite on this COD, reminds me so much of the MK46 off MW3 also a little dissapointed that the PKP isnt in this game or something similiar

With Lsat I got back the Rpd feeling from Cod4. Lovely!!! Dual band are great for bigger maps. At small maps I use it with grip and various other attachments. Some guy here told they was useless = FAIL!!!!!!

The thingy is that in this game you need to "camp" with it , and we all know the hate messages incoming then. With camp I mean go from position to position and stay there for a few kills. Not like being in a spot the whole game

I havent used the others, can they match the Lsat? Maybe just try them out myself.

I enjoed using LMGs in previous CODs, but they do not have a niche to operate in in this game.

One of their main advantages was no damage drop-off, but they have been nerfed into smithereens in BO2. And I cannot figure out why.

Check out this crap:

http://symthic.com/cod-bo2-weapon-charts#000001000ncnnn0

A big phuk you to the developers from me.

Yeah, I think they could used a specific attachment for the lmg class to differentiate them from the other guns, like the grenade launcher for the assault rifles.  I was thinking anti-air rounds, allowing you to take air-based killstreaks down easier (a select-fire type deal), for example.  In MW3, it was really easy to take streak rewards down with lmgs and full metal jacket rounds, and I began using them more often because of this.  I wish Treyarch would implement something like this into Blops 2.  If they added  the target-finder (heartbeater sensor for MW), the guns would be a lot more useful.

CODNoob12

It's odd. On smaller maps in MW3, I began to use the LSW and I would literally enjoy my best games consistently. Parish...Dome...Mission...just was a fun LMG to use. Even Bootleg, Piazza, and Oasis. I discovered it late, towards the end when this game came out. I might actually go back to MW3 just to gold the thing because I got so close before I got locked into Blops2.

So when this game came out, I immediately at first jumped to the LMGs and filled up a couple classes with them. Boy, I am simply not good enough to use one in this game. The maps, sure, they're small, but there are just too many corners, too many high spots, too many kids running around with SMGs that use their weapons better than I can use an LMG. Hopefully, as things settle down, connectivity issues are addressed and updated (ha!), maybe I will get back into it. But for the way this game plays right now, it's just not the smart call for me.

MLGTWISTED

smg silencers are the only way to play.