22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 2:30 PM by panoptic RSS

I  have CRAP internet!

I am not a "cheapskate!" I wish I could buy incredible internet, (I can afford it!) but I live in a tiny UK village and it is simply not available to me!

I am getting really frustrated with people lucky enough to have good internet (probably paid for by their parents(see, I can make assumptions too)) being incredibly critical of those that don't and complaining of 'Host Lag Compensation'

I am suffering as badly as everyone with the 'lag' exactly as you are all describing (shoot first/die first/not shoot in cam) and I am not hosting, so please explain to me why me and my crap connection are your problem? What's my problem?

• Re: I  have CRAP internet!

I have a crap internet speed as well. I live in UK and I can also pay for decent download speed.....if I could get it.

I lag as much as anyone, hit detection is terrible and I would be about 0.5 seconds behind everyone else. I still host as much as anyone else.

Now I don't know how lag comp works but I do know that our crap interent is not handicapping the people with the good speeds I have a grade. A ping and no packets are lost.

t-fibby

You do not have a crappy connection if you have one with a low ping and good line quality, you just don't have much bandwith. You do need much bandiwith to play online, and if you are experiencing lag you have the same problem than any other people with a low ping connection regardless of how much bandwith they have at their disposal. Pinging a domestic server can produce an equally low ping from the cheapest low bandiwith connection possible compared to the most expensive one you can get in a highly populated area.

Matchmaking is broken because it puts people with high ping together with peole with low ping, and no amount of correction can level that playing field. That's the problem, along with lag comp that lately seems to be as poorly managed as it was in MW3.

If either of you are the host and the connection is bouncing it throws the game off and screws with us elite who have rock solid internet with awesome state of art routers.  That and this game kind of sucks on the matchmaking anyway.

gambit1969

Have you tried changing your search preference, in theory this is supposed to match you up with people that have a similar connection to you..

unimatrix1of3

I did some testing earlier on a super hub pushing 32mb of data and unsurprisingly got a good game, I was asked by a friend if his Experia phone could run as a tether connection to the ps3 so we tested it. The phone was pushing 3.9mb and still had a great game, no lag.  Try changing preferences as said above.

t-fibby

Playing with a tetheted phone will mostlikely have an above average ping, and playing with that kind of connection gave you and advantage in MW3 and apparently now in BO2 because you are allowed to play against people with better connections the game tries to level things out by adding articial lag to the low ping connections, and usually fails horribly by making the guy on the high ping connection nearly invincible.

I'm running 'BEST'

I have top of the range router

ChestSplittah

It's not so much your problem. It's the franchises problem for not doing a better job of sorting the matchmaking out. I can understand that not everyone has the same connectivity, but they shouldn't give people that can connect better than others to the host a... Excuse me here... A enema of lag, to sort the situation out.

They cannot afford dedicated servers even though this is the most popular franchise in gaming arguably. They made half a billion in one day yet they canot afford dedicated servers. its not ur internet its COD.

curious what your internetspeed is, can you post your results from speedtest.net?

When people tell me they have crap internet connection to play COD (yet they have speeds of 20mb+) and that this is the reason they have bad KD ratios, I just think man, stop complaining.

For 3 years I had a download speed of 2mb, not because i couldn't afford it, but because of my location and distance from the exchange. I recently moved and now have a download speed of 6-7mb.

Bottom line, I've seen people with 50-100mb internet complain about their connection.

On a good day I get 3.5max

My KD in MW2 2, my KD in BO's 2.5, both laggy, my KD in MW3 3, no lag, my KD in BO2 4 (before patch 24hrs+ play) no lag, since the patch (12hrs+ play) crazy lag like i've never experienced, now less than 2 KD, currently 2.5 avg, Crap Internet, crap KD by my standards, not necessarily by anyone else's!

To hold a 2.5kd on a 3.5mb download speed is pretty impressive, so fair play to you. Personally I don't worry about KD as for me it takes the fun out of the game. I typically have around a 1.4-1.7kd, but i am prepared to sacrifice my KD  ratio for my playstyle (a runner/gunner) as it allows me to take much more enjoyment from the game.

Since i moved, apart from the obvious improvement in download speeds (i.e. quicker to download music/demos) i haven't noticed any improvement with regards to lag, connection, hit detection etc (although the latter is fairly poor this year for everyone). Although I have been made host more often, to my detriment or advantage we'll never know!

So I'd try and forget about the bad internet and focus on your game, be the best that you can be. Eventually we'll all have good download speeds, but even then some people will still attribute their death to lag, connection etc.