29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 12:51 AM by adw1983 RSS

Relax everyone's K/D is down from previous games. Stop blaming just lag comp.

blb128

A brief COD history about me. I have been playing COD since about half way through COD4s lifecycle. I play with a full party or near full party 99% of the time. I have played this way since meeting a good group of team players back in the days of WAW. I live on the east coast and play with people all across the US and Canada. I have between 50 and 60 players on my friends list that I play COD with.

Now on topic. Every player on my friends list K/D is down from previous CODs. They aren't all on the bad side of lag comp all the sudden. The best players on my list are still the best and the worst are still the worst. Nobody pulls host host all the time anymore either. Before if I was party leader I would pull host almost all the time. If we were in the room first we would almost always pull host. Now the host changes every match. You cant pull host and stay in the same room all night as the host anymore.

I too get one bad match with tons of WTF moments and then a really good match right after. I think the inconsistencies come from the host always changing from game to game now. Everyone is dealing with this. I dont think this is the biggest contributer to lower K/Ds though.

This game doesnt play as easy as previous installments in the series because of a few big changes. The first one is the change to ghost. Many players used ghost to camp for kills before. Its alot harder to camp now. Now you need to be on the move. I personally like the change. I flank all the red dot chasers all the time now.

The second and most important change is the new scorestreak system. Before it was easy to play domination and rack up easy kills with big killstreaks. In MW3 for example you cap your home flag flag, get and handful of kills, shoot a spy plane or 2 down and you got a reaper which led to an AC-130 and then chopper gunner. This is only one example. Now you get rewarded for being a team player. If you want the most points towards your scorestreak you have to put yourself in harms way. Highest risk = the highest reward. Many players played like cowards before and were rewarded for it. In short its alot harder to bloat your K/D now.

The spawns also contribute as well but they are always messed up in the beginning of every COD. They will be fixed.

Agree or disagree?

• Re: Relax everyone's K/D is down from previous games. Stop blaming just lag comp.
    Film_Not_Rated

I can sort of agree...

For me it's just only about the Lag comp now, and maybe the choice of guns.

At first it was indeed just getting use to the maps, how they playout/feel but now I just die from lag 95% of the time, it's rare that I actually lose a legit gunfight.

Scorestreaks also making it just a tad harder on people who only focus on kills(I play the objective and get kills) so it's not hard on me, but it would be on players who are use to just getting 5 kills then the game is handed to them.

People will adjust soon, but the lag is always going to be the killer.

I won't lie when I say at least half of my deaths are because I get seen by someone before they even hit my screen when i'm host, or I  turn a corner for a split second and get insta killed and apparently I had been around that corner on the killers screen for like 2 seconds before hand.

• Re: Relax everyone's K/D is down from previous games. Stop blaming just lag comp.

I made a post like this. It eventually got buried somewhere deep in this forum, and I got slammed for it. Hopefully your thread will survive a bit longer.

I definitely agree with your comments. K/D is down, and it isn't about lag. All of the previous Call of Duty games had this same problem for several months. The developers fixed the issues, and suddenly everyone was happy again. The memories some people have is terrible.

Spawns have always been bad, agreed.

Killstreaks was my main point previously. It is harder to get killstreaks, easier to hide from them, easier to take them down, and harder to camp. The maps are smaller, there aren't that many places a person can sit and get kill after easy kill. They have to work for them now.

Another "issue" is that this game isn't like the others. You can't compare K/Ds straight across the board. My K/D in Black Ops 2 couldn't possibly be similar to MW3, Black Ops 1, or MW2, etc. They are completely different games. Similar games, yes, but vastly different. I would suggest that gamers get used to a new K/D number. I think there is this perception that since a K/D isn't as high in this new game, that something must be seriously wrong.

Some people will still get on here and rip you left and right because they can't see past their lag, but I think they are missing the bigger picture.

Pker

A_Vampire_Angel wrote:

Killstreaks was my main point previously. It is harder to get killstreaks, easier to hide from them, easier to take them down, and harder to camp.

Killstreaks aren't meant to be an annihilator to a game. They are supposed to help push back if losing or give a bit more cushion for the winning team.

A_Vampire_Angel wrote:

The maps are smaller, there aren't that many places a person can sit and get kill after easy kill. They have to work for them now.

This comment is invalid. I would love to rant on how this is an absurd comment about less camping spots and players "have to work for them now."

That's a plus feature in this CoD game that only CoD 4 had.

danielbondnz

I'm glad to hear this, I thought I was the only person struggling.  I had a 2.30 kd last cod, now iv got 1.51 and going down every time I play lol

This lag comp thing is out of hand now, if someone gets shot in the back they scream LAG COMP!!!!!!!

Agree that it isn't Lag Comp, disagree that it's the same as every other COD. Obviously you aren't going to dominate off the bat as you get used to a new installment and the features that come with it, but when you even admit that everyone is doing worse, that is a BIG red flag.

You can spin it how you want and say there's "less camping spots" and people have to "work for their kills" but it's all just bullshit to prop up a game philosophy that is built around the concept of running in circles until you see someone and then spraying until one of you dies.

I can understand when people ***** about camping in a game like Battlefield. You can sit somewhere with a sniper rifle and take people out from a range at which their assault rifles are inadequate. But this is CALL OF DUTY. The maps are the size of my ******* bathroom, every time you cry about "campers" all you are saying is this: I'm so trash, I can't kill someone when I know exactly where they will be and what they will be doing.

The ONLY type of really negative camping that occurs in COD is when someone sits in a room with their shotgun aimed at the door, and we don't have to worry about that anymore because BO2 doesn't really have shotguns. They have tools which appear very similar to shotguns, and even share the names of shotguns, but when you fire them nothing happens.

That5What5Up

Speak for yourself, my kd is 4.3-4.4 in this game, only 2.4 in mw3.  Lag comp is still there, but the maps and gameplay are far more balanced this time around.

Once you get used to the flow and mechanics of the maps k/d actually goes back up. Never had a beast of a ratio , usually sits around 1.3 / 1.4 since i play domination with the intent to DOMINATE lol. If players would all play the objectives like they should , spawns would not be a problem . They switch farelly easy because of  killwhores venturing too deep on enemy ground . 

danielbondnz

Another thing iv noticed is you have to aim a lot lower on the screen to hit people, half the problem is that the whole way you move and stuff are totally different, I really wish Treyarch wouldn't mess movement mechanics.

jahMoon

Agree.  kd down to 1.3 from 2.2.  I've never been killed in the back so much in any previous version.  Having a really hard time adjusting to the maps and knowing where the enemy spawns are coming from in TDM.  I didn't camp. but I did move through the previous maps slowly always taking cover.  These maps don't seen to give you a break...you have to move a lot faster and remember which corners not to take because a sniper is already aimed at that location.

And yea, I still haven't figured out what weapon to use.  Don't think I'm going to find a weapon like the TYPE 95.  Probably find one comparable to the FAMAS or Galil (BO)...I think.

I don't even play anything besides Demo and Dom anymore. Spawns are just garbage. They're too lazy to make a decent map with protected and intricate spawns, so they just make it so that you can spawn pretty much anywhere on the map.

mcdonamw

I'm sorry but I disagree here.  I am a rusher, and play TDM exclusively.  I did not rely on ghost to camp, ever.  I relied on ghost to keep me hidden while I rush, sure, but the same applies here.  My KD is down from ~3 to ~1.5. 

In MW3, 90% of my deaths were due to lag comp.. fights I should have won.  The other 10% were fair kills for my enemy.

In BO2, I say about 65% of my deaths are me losing gunbattles I should have won due to the lag comp, though this is only because now 30% are lost to being shot in the back due to piss poor map design.  The remaining 5% are fair deaths as someone outdrew me or camped me out.

Ultimately my tactics haven't changed and neither has the core concept of the game, yet my K/D continues to drop.  Sure I'll occasionally get a good game where my shots register and I'll go 27-3 (again rushing), but other times I'll be lucky to bet a 0.5 due to the incessant BS of this game.

Message was edited by: mcdonamw.   I meant to say I disagree with the OP, not the post I replied to.  Apologies.

cwatz

Killstreaks are an insanely small portion of it.  It would be like a .2 kd tops, and mine is down well over a full point.

Secondly you can still somewhat camp if you wanted by carrying a launcher.  Its also still beneficial to play defensive.

The reason for kds shrinking is you are more likely to lose gunfights.  Instakill weapons, clusterf*** maps, little recoil and way more close quarter fighting.  All these things make a worse player more likely to kill you.  It significantly shrunk the gap where good could outplay the bad.

THAT is why this game sucks, and that is why KDs have dropped.

Lag comp IS this issue. Don't pretend it isn't. The connectivity is garbage and the game is suffering. Put it how ever your want. If the game is broken the game is broken. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

There is no way everyone's k/d dropped.  if you get killed, someone killed you. one k one d.  Someone is getting the benefit of this.  I really think it is all the speed class crap that is knocking down most people's k/d's.  When players gain speed by un equiping things, they should also lose health.  I am sick of firing an entire smg mag into a jack hole with a knife only to have him magically get through my hail of bullets to kill me with one slash of his knife.  UTTER CRAP!

danielbondnz

I JUST SNAPPED MY DISK IN RAGE.

Treyarch are terrible.  Nothing but lag. I wonder if they still do disk replacements for disks in 4 pieces lol?

I agree that lag comp isn't the sole reason for k/d drops. Killstreaks were a huge part of people's kd's previously and you just can't run them as well as you used to. My ratio didn't drop THAT much from the previous games however, after adjusting my style accordingly. In MW3 it was at 2.70 or so and when I started this one it was hovering around 2.30. Since the patch though my kd is dropping, and dropping fast. I can't kill people anymore, and I'm 99% sure it's not just me suddenly being worse, but lag comp/lag, whatever everyone wants to call it. I'm losing 1 on 1 encounters to guys who probably don't even know the difference between teammate and enemy.

edit: but I do agree that it's not just lag comp causing the ratios to drop. Lots of factors helping it. Different game and maps after all.

smokesdope

My KD starting to rise after a terrible start . UAV spam , campers , no-one is really familiar with the maps , people playing cautiously , having to get used to he game/guns etc  and of course lag and bad hit detection but it seems to be getting better .

adw1983

I am a good player

My most valuable skill is my fast and accurate aim, and good trigger finger.

NONE of those skills matter so far in Black Ops 2 using my weapons of choice.

There's some serious problems hitting sprinting and strafing opponents with semi-automatics, that was not present in MW3.

Distance helps, but there's few places with distance in this game.

Good players adapt.

So I play slower, hug cover more often, despite having the reflexes and aim to instantly target anyone who pops into my sight.

But then the problem of spawns rear it's ugly head.

On most maps, using an AR while teammates us SMGs result in enemies spawning behind you 15 seconds into the game, and unlike your teammates, you don't have the situational awareness of the area between your -- now their -- spawn and their old spawn where all your teammates are.

Turning against your old spawn backfires just as often as it helps, and the sheer volume of spawning players often overwhelm me:
    It's extremely hard to take out 3 opponents in a row using semi-automatic weapons, especially when you need to fire an average of 5 rounds per kill, despite aiming flawlessly, PLUS the rounds fired aimlessly versus target number two and three who now hip-fire you with their weapon of choice simultaneously.

So I find myself between the rock and the hard place.
    Rush and get instagibbed by SMG users who apparently can kill in 0.05 seconds without headshots (I saw a friend kill several uninjured enemies with the Vector in "1 shot" in theater mode at 0.3x speed (in softcore)) -- or stay behind and completely throw away my sense of duty and honor, pitching a tent behind two bouncing betties with overview of our first spawn.

The SMG nerfs and SMR, SCAR-H and SVU buffs cannot come soon enough.

SMG users move at the speed of lag, and I cannot hit them while they are strafing.
    Heck, I sometimes cannot hit crouch-walking enemies with their backs turned against me, and they get the time to notice that 10 bullets hit the wall next to them turn around, and possible kill me in 0.05 seconds with their laser SMGs (no pun and no pun intended).

I have no idea how SMGs can kill in "one shot", but rapid-fire SMGs definetely kill in one single "hit detection":

You only ever get "hit" once, and in theater mode, they only fire one massive volley of 4-5 rounds  when viewed in theater mode.
    As if the SMGs fire so fast, with rapid fire, that it sends packages of multiple shots instead of individual shots, that are registered as packages by the game / host and not individual shots.