1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2013 11:09 AM by cozierplatypus Go to original post RSS
  • 10. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)

Sorry, should have posted this here instead of starting a new thread.

I found this article while trying to figure out how to fix my issues with lag. After following all of Macabbi's "Optimize your Connections" instructions, I still have problems. Maybe it's the bufferbloat? After optimising my connection, it did help a little, but I'm still having problems. I'm not going to spend $220 on a LagBuster but I have to try something. My problem is, I have a router/modem combo but I was told there is a way to turn the router portion off. If that will fix my issue, I guess I'll use it as just a modem while gaming (if possible). I'm going to give it a whirl when I get home.

Almost forgot the article link: http://www.cringely.com/tag/bufferbloat/

• 11. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)

like i said in a other treat. This is just great. everyone knows the awnser without looking into it because someone calls it this.

ok say your right  with router from other people. Because im kind of a nerd with a internet/network/computer hobby i buy a new router every 1,5 to 2 years. I bought my latest router last year and ofcours had all this problems. the router before that was with black ops and that one had the same problems. with the first b.o and the one before that had problems with wm2. So you can't tell me that all 3 routers had the same wrong setting. Also my next door neigbor had the same internet connection with a other router and he had the same problems. So like i said before its not our setting.

also there is a other point to make

because i have a 120 mb / 10 mb internet connection i can dowload big files ( more that 50 gb ) with a steady speed of about 14 mb down and upload it with 1mb without any problems tru torrent files.

this tells me that when im downloadig one or more big files that ther are more open connections and more connection data packages  coming true my router then when im playing cod. so that can't be the problem. also i manualy changed my mtu settings ( package size into the router ) .

and a third point. when i connect my xbox directly into my cable modem is still have the same problem.

one final point. because we all have the same problems its almost impossible that the problem is with the setting of our routers or internet connections . its just poor code

• 12. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)

in most cases you can't and should not turn off the router section of your modem. because this is not the solutioen.

• 13. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)
    Foxhound-Pro

Removed a secondary thread for this. Looks like your tapped the post button a bit too much, or ran into a site issue.

• 14. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)
    maccabi

flea69dude wrote:

THE PROBLEM ISN'T BANDWITH OR LAG COMPENSATION ITS "BUFFERBLOAT" (WIKI SEARCH FOR MORE INFO).

BUT BASICALLY THE ROUTERS MEMORY CANNOT PROCESS THE INFO QUICK ENOUGH AND IT BACKS UP IN THE ROUTER AND "LAGS" THE GAME. WHAT I DID IS PLUG MY XBOX DIRECTLY INTO THE MODEM AND NOT USE THE ROUTER.

IT FIXED THE PROBLEM INSTANTLY

BEFORE......MY SCORE WAS 10/15 KILLS AND 30 DEATHS

AFTER .......MY SCORE WAS 45 KILLS 13 DEATHS

PLEASE TRY AND COMMENT IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.

I knew this would appear on the forums eventually, I assume like many you have seen the "how to fix lag comp" video thats doing the rounds.

The problem with the video is it doesn't actually explain what's happening very well.

Luckily I have a handy link to something that was written previously on these very cod forums that will explain things alittle clearer along with a handy interactive bit of flair   You can probably guess what I just copy and pasted from here.. oh look its the elagaphant guide .

BUT.. Just so we are clear this is NOT a fix, nor is it a problem everyone can say is the cause. BUT as I keep saying people are very quick to blame "lag comp" or the games netcode when a simple change of equipment miraclulously "fixes" lag comp..see where this is going

End of the day Take your average gamer, they spend 100's of dollars or pounds on a console, decent controller, decent headset, then wonder why playing via a $10 router/modem is causing them "lag". But this doesnt fix lag want to make that perfectly clear, what it fixes is it stops you getting dropped packets and lossing packets (each packet is an update to you from the host and vice versa, if you arent getting or recieiving all your packets/updates you will on screen have the impression of being out of sync /lagging ect.

But it's also worth noting that even removing the router and just using the modem isnt a sure fire "fix2 as quite simply the modem the isp gave you is going to be as equaly crap as the genric router.

Maccabi wrote:

Not all equipment is created equally, especially if your isp gave it to you free.

If like me you are serious about your gaming, one of the things you can do which will help your online experience is choosing or using the right equipment. The first thing to look at is also the cheapest and most overlooked if you use a wired connection, and that is your network (cat) cable. When you set up your system or for that matter when checking it over always make sure the cat cable isnt kinked. Secondly I personally make a point of throwing away the free cable you get with your equipment from the isp and invest in what I know is a good quality cable. Typically you will have a cat5 cable given to you this is fine if your home network isnt a gigabit network, if it is invest in a cat6 cable again bearing in mind that cheap doesnt always mean quality. without getting into the technicals here your xbox isnt a gigabit device so the only real point of adding it is if you want the data to flow faster along your home network maybe for streaming or sharing files between pcs for example.

Another good tip is measure the distance from the xbox to the router/moden and get a cable made that lenth although in itself not a major fix shorter the cable better the network.

Routers and modems you get free from the isp when you signed your life away to them are cheap generic nasty things hence they are free (even though we know they arent as the price of them is included in your monthly fees).they are great for people who just want to tinker around the net look at emails and watch the occasional cat plinking away on a keyboard. what they are not good for is delivering the high quality delivery and speed that gaming requires so if you have the spare bucks to - Invest in a good quality gaming router. You dont have to spend 100's here theres some really great low budget stuff out there, and lots of decent places to get reviews before buying.

The router I currently use I bought 2nd hand off that "auction site" cost me £25 quid  ($40 in silly money) and hasnt let me down once in the last year odd I've had, and no one said you cant sell the router you got online either . Also with isp provided routers you invariably do not have access to the settings you really need access to when you enter its basic admin settings. This alone is imo reason to bin the thing or flog it online and invest in a better one.

The same is true for those with free cable modems, in fact I would even go as far as to say in some cases these are the single weakest link in a network for some people, again it is really worth investing in a decent cable modem or modem/router combo the difference is basically night and day to some people.

When you use either of these they both have what is called a buffer,this is basically a holding area for packets and allows the router or modem to process packets at a speed it can handle, the faster the router the smoother the traffic flows the slower you start to lose packets and the whole thing backs up and eventually dies. what does this mean for you in gaming terms ? . you have sync issues,things start jumping across the screen , disappearing reappearing as your xbox receives data out of sequence and at the very worse you modem keels over and has a heart attack and needs to be left for a while and then reset.

I have found a great little flash thingymabob that demonstrates this better than I could in words. Use your cursor keys to speed up the traffic and you will see after awhile what happens to packets in both a buffered and non buffered environment.

For a graphic demonstration of what's happening in the buffers  (protip use the cursor keys to speed up the packets

buffer demonstration
  • 15. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)
    maccabi

As a footnote that video now has over 25000 views, I knew I should've made the elagaphant a youtube series i'd be rolling in that youtube money by now

also want to add seeing a change to someones hardware has "fixed" their issues can we now agree that NOT all problems are down to "lag comp" *generic term  or some nerfarious netcode . Removing the router fixed the issue for the op no code was harmed in making this change.

• 16. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)

i agree with this post. the problem is that you can't choose your own cable modem. your isp just gives you one. but you can choose te router. there are severel companys who make gameing routers. personaly i don't know if there good or not but thats why they invented google.

on the cable point. i agree about the cable but i does not have to be cat65. i use cat 5-e cable true my whole house with a 24 port gb switch connected to my new router and its works great.

so just put some research in buying a new router and if you want new cables just make them your self of buy cat 6 cables in the store where you are buying the router.

and yes all of your 100mb devices works better wit h a gb poort connected to it so keep this in mind when buying a router. most of them only have 4 gb connnecters

my router : rv220w small offices router

my switch : srw2024 24p gb switch for office

• 17. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)

It's very informative. I copied the print article, sat at my computer, and changed all the settings. The only thing I didn't do is change any of the QoS settings. I may play with them a bit tonight. Strangly, even with my ports forwarded properly; my NAT keeps changing back and forth from modorate to open. The same thing is happening to my friends. I changed it to what portforward.com suggested for BO2

• 18. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)
    blb128

Yea it sure is a generic term used on these forums way too much. So much so that I almost dont want to be here anymore.

• 19. Re: IF YOUR HAVING LOADS OF LAG TRY THIS (NOT PORT FORWARD ETC)
    Sandman777

Good for you OP but I've never had to do anything like this online... Ever! So why should I start now.

Someone tell the sargeant slap nutz and the rest of the 3ARC crew to go knock on IW's door and at least ask them how they got the lag to a bearable point.... Hell they took everything else from them in making their games..