26 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 12:12 PM by monkeylord RSS

Is fibre optic a bad thing?

Switching from 8meg to sky 40 meg fibre optic on Friday, been looking about off the forum and noticed a lot of people complaining that it's a bad thing to have a fast connection?

I can't think of a reason why so can someone shed some light on the matter?

• Re: Is fibre optic a bad thing?
    BLACKDOG

because on call of duty the lag compensation seems to work against the people on a stronger connection for example i have 120mb download and 10mb upload yet a guy on a 3bar will drop me seeminly in 1 bullet yet me on a 4 bar i have to shoot half a clip into them to kill them.

gambit1969

Its the luck of the draw, when mw3 came out first i was only running a 12mb line and lagged like a pig, so i upgraded to a 130mb fibre optic grade A line and it still lagged like a pig, so badly in fact that it rendered the game unplayable.

But the is the flip side, BO2 is barely showing any lag for at all for me so figure that one out.

My brother had the same problems in his house with mw3 and he upgraded his line to fibre optic shortly after i did and his mw3 still lagged, but his BO2 is not lagging now either..

I got fibre and it was the worse thing that ever happened to my gaming..

simjc

Just make sure you set your search preferences to Best when using Fibre

rlbl

1st off, you have to understand that 90% of the people in the community do not know what they are talking about.

... and the 10% that do are only right most (if not only some) of the time.

A truthful answer, yet still totally vague is: it depends.

1 - Having more bandwidth does not make your Internet faster (see Maccabi's threads, I am not going into it because I will just get annoyed)

2 - Some games do handicap you when you are host (BO1, MW3), however others give you a slight advantage (COD4, MW2... and I have found personally... BO2!. see next point)

3 - If you are connected to people you have a good connection with, you will have decent games (host or not)

4 - from point 1: You do not need to have a lot of bandwidth to play the game...

5 - sometimes you can change default settings on your home network that will make some games run better, but the same settings will make others worse.

6 - you can run all the speed tests you want, but that proves nothing. You are connecting in-game to random people and not servers setup for test.

7- there are more factors, but I am eating breakfast

So in short, it depends.  If I had the option to get "faster - *skin crawl*" internet and go to fiber at a decent price... I would do it everyday and twice on Sunday.

Godotpwn

Dont listen to all this rubbish. A large percentage of this forum consists of kids that hear one thing, take it as factual information and then proclaim it as the truth around the world.

You want fibre optic, better connection is obviously better. There will be a bunch of people saying "lag compensation will give you a worse connection" or something along these lines. These are the kids I was warning you about.

rlbl

Amen, 100% correct

gambit1969

At least its a change of pace from them moaning about nuketown...lol

Easy to say if you are not affected.  I have 2 damaged and 1 broken controller out of frustration. And the real anger only kicked in when I upgraded my line from 2mbit to 10mbit upstream on a less congested network/dslam.  That's when I went from "god, why do they see me around corners and hit me while I have not seen them" into "AAARGH, this is impossible or a hacked game".

And so I went to doctor google and learned about the crippling code that was built into the game.

Lag is expected, LAG COMPENSATION is a poorly written piece of code (probably looks like the spaghetti code Indians produce) that is punishing certain people.  Play an older cod release and feel the difference. Check the replay and SEE the difference. 0.5 to 1 seconds of punishment is an awfull lot when milliseconds matter. Campers and snipers will probably not care as they do not run into an enemy like the fast gamer I am...  I was good at cod4/mw/bo and I suck at mw3 and bo2, and it's not because of my skills... It simply depends on the randomness of the thing I refuse the call a feature.  You do realize they sell devices on ebay to abuse this thing to get an advantage in the game?

And they only decent advice I learned in the last few hours: set the search options to 'best' instead of normal.  I'll give it a try tonight and check if it improves my gaming experience. If not I am close to ritually burning my copy of BO2....

And on topic: you need a low latency medium to have a good gaming experience.  Fiber should be great.  But the ISP matters also: you could check if they have good peering on major internet exchange points with plenty of bandwith. But ISP's do not usually publish this information, and will certainly not tell you about their DPI, QOS, shaping stuff...

Godotpwn

You know all the older cod games had lag compensation too right...? And they work the same way as they do in blops2. You do know this right?

I know this, and they did a better job in those games.  They are very playable at my place. I still enjoy those a lot...

Godotpwn

It works the same, they didnt do better or worse.

I don't believe that.  They changed engine, so you cannot just copy/paste.  And if they did not change the code, then it is probably not optimized for the current code.

I feel the difference loud and clear since MW3. And I am playing first person shooters for about 20 years now, so don't consider me as a stupid noob...

Godotpwn

Ok, I'll give you a chance. Answer these 2 questions:

Where do you have to shoot in COD4 Modern Warfare to get hitmarkers?

A. Behind the enemy

B. At the enemy

C. In front of the enemy

Where do you have to shoot in BLOPS2 to get hitmarkers?

A. Behind the enemy

B. At the enemy

C. In front of the enemy

rlbl

I think people are not understanding that what changed (if you want to call it change) is matchmaking:

If you get matched with players 1/2 around the world this will introduce mass lag. The compensation (or more so the effects of said compensation) will make things look weird (like getting shot from around the corner or seemingly getting killed by 1 bullet).

The compensation (in principal) is not the issue

The issue is having to compensate to the degree that is currently required, due to connectivity.

When people can understand this (overly simplified) concept, these dumb threads can stop and people would not be (falsely) making decisions which service package they should be buying.

having said that:

If anyone is trying to figure out what ISP package they should be buying based solely on the resulting game performance they will experience...  get on with life.

First person shooters are pretty expensive.  You cannot blame people to look for the optimal conditions to play it.

A low latency connection improved the gaming experience in the days of the good old centralized, regional servers.

But Activision decided it was cheaper (and very easily scalable) to host the game on the boxes of the people they sold the game to.  So they are to blame twice: no central hosting, and a poor attempt to cope with the shortcomings of that model.

brigasm_

I notice witha good connection you get kills easier but die easier too. weird

8mbps is already more than sufficient to play, and upgrading it really won't make a difference. Assuming the ping times and upload is constant or similar.

Going from something like 2mbps to 40mbps would give a difference, but 8 to 40 really won't

ChestSplittah

My personal opinion about the fios crap. I'm not using internet provided by a cellular company. Hell, I won't even use AT&T internet.

stonculd

Bandwidth is only important to the point of do you have enough to play the game. Ping is really what lag compensation is dealing with. I have a under 10ms ping MW3 was unplayable but I go straight wired with Black Ops2 and I am doing great. With MW3 if I went from Wireless to wired my lag would get worse because it improved my ping and lag compensation was trying to match connection speeds so me with a good ping gets a more latent signal of what's happening in real time with people who have not so good pings. The problem is that the lag comp gives too much latency to people with good pings. I am not experiencing this with Black Ops 2.

The real question is, can you get a true NAT 1 connection type with your ISP service and modem/router configuration?

I've been having bad luck with matchmaking connections since BO2 came out. So last weekend I bought a Motorola SBG6580 Docsis 3.0. Upgraded my internet service to Docsis 3.0 speeds, locked down my router configuration to give my PS3 a type 1 nat connection. After that I'm getting maybe 1 out of 5 games where everyone else will have a 3 bar connection and mine will be full. That is with the best setting ingame also.

It's all a matter of configuring your equipment and your ISP as far as ping times ect, not so much bandwidth.

Unless you have a ton of stuff on your network then greater bandwidth and a 300m wireless router or good router will allow you to play decient when everyone in your house is sucking up your bandwidth like a hoover.

/2cents

Xx-kinggsiddz-xX

fibre optic is good basically sky bt and other internet companies use radio signals and they can get blocked by throwing a frisbee in front of the dish bu tif u have fibre optic it goes dep under the oceon so u wont have that much lag or internet going off casue of tornado or something like that virgin has fibre optinc and i got 30mb speed and i dont lag plus people dont lag when they in my lobbby

monkeylord

B5NCo wrote:

Switching from 8meg to sky 40 meg fibre optic on Friday, been looking about off the forum and noticed a lot of people complaining that it's a bad thing to have a fast connection?

I can't think of a reason why so can someone shed some light on the matter?

For most multi player games Sky is a dream as it's the only main IP in the UK to not bottleneck its traffic but for MW3/BLOPs2 it's a nightmare you'll pretty much have to double up on the normal amount of bullets needed and the radar is slightly off and this is in the good rounds.

The bad rounds on BLOPs2(which are most) 5 out of the 6 on the enemy will take at least 12 hit markers before hitting the ground and the 6th dude will be in region of 20+ hitmarkers also you'll be fighting claude rains a lot.

For most games a great IP but for the last 2 COD it just adds to the woes.