1 2 3 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2012 3:13 AM by Tactical_Power RSS

Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.

Moorningstar

First I'm going to start by giving a definition of a good match (at least as I see it)

Good Match -  Adj.  A match in which lag has a minimal effect.  A match in which bullets don't appear to pass through enemies.  A match in which players don't get one shotted with sub machine guns.  A match in which you don't die before your opponent runs around the corner.

Yep thats right.  I really don't care about my KdR.  I'll play in a room and get slaughtered, and keep coming back for more.  But COD lag has gotten me so pissed that I'll leave a game if my bullets don't register.  I don't even have to die to rage quit a game anymore.  I've left games with 0 kills and 0 deaths before.

Enter the 'best match' search option.  Now I've been saying for over a year that I'd rather wait in a room for an hour as long as I get people close to me and can have good matches, so I LOVE that they've finally given us the option to choose the matches we enter.

But what is my reward for waiting an hour for a good game?  Oh, I get to be host.  And because there's one dildo in the room searching for an 'any' game I get dropped to his level?  Seems counterintuitive to me.

The bottom line is that with the ability to search for a level of connectivity has made lag comp obsolete (if it was ever a good idea to begin with).  Look a 50 millisecond ping means that it takes .005 seconds for your machine to send a signal to the host machine and get a response.  A normal human can't even detect anything under .1 seconds which leaves plenty of wiggle room.  In other words a room in which everyone has a good connection (which is now possible thanks to this marvelous new option) gives NO ONE an advantage worth mentioning.  Even the host gets NO APPRECIABLE ADVANTAGE!

This also means that constantly switchin hosts is counterintuitive.  Please don't shout at me, I'll explain.  Since the host recieves no appreciable advantage there's nothing wrong with letting one person remain host as long as they stay in the room.  But what this DOES allow is for people to leave rooms in which their connectivity is not optimal and find one closer that will not move.  Players will automatically sort themselves into rooms in which their proximity to the host is minimal.  In other words there would be geographically stable rooms which could be connected too.  That's right guys, this is EVEN BETTER than dedicated servers.  Now we have a self adjusting system that allows for low proximity to a room NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE (except the north pole.  Sorry guys nothings gonna save you).  As opposed to having to link directly to a static server which just benifits those who are geographically close to it, this system would truly be fair, and allows the players to control their gaming experience.

But what happens when the host gets bored, tired, angry, or their kids start the house on fire, you ask?  Well since this system has stocked the room with geographically close players another can pick up host with minimal change in game quality for everyone.  Yes its true that a specific room could slowly migrate away from your location as hosts change over time, but other rooms will migrate towards you.  And in the worst case you can start another room.

So in conclusion - Remove lag comp and constant host swapping.  They are the only thing standing in this games way.

P.S.  Absolutely LOVE the pick ten system.

P.P.S  Because there are some people that can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that they are compensating for lag with the host I will now change 'lag comp' to 'host screwing'.  Now maybe we can deal with the issues brought up instead of having some point and grunt repeatedly to an article that doesn't explain the issues we're having.  (But it's doubtfull)

• 1. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    Godotpwn

Actually learn what lag compensation is before saying you want it removed.

/thread.

• 2. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    crosby85

100% agree with you on this! I have set my search perimeters to best I often find my self on the bad side of lag compensation due to my good internet connection, I actually went and signed up for a better internet to make my gaming experience better but it seems that the way this game is set up it penalises the people that pay more money for a better connection (backwards thinking if you ask me)!

• 3. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    Godotpwn

Again, learn what lag compensation is first before complaining about it...

• 4. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    crosby85

we know what it is you idiot, maybe you should learn what it is...

• 5. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    Moorningstar

Look we know what lag comp is.  99% of the games I've left I've been the host, yet I can have an amazing game with only 3 bars.  It's obvious to anyone with a critical mind that they are slowing the host down severly.  This is simple logic based on the data.

P.S.  For some reason I've begun to take a kind of perverse pleasure in forcing a host migration and listing to people complain about it.  Perhaps I should talk to someone about this?

• 6. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    ChillyPaws

You made an error with your milliseconds to seconds 50ms is 0.05 seconds. 100ms is a good reaction time. olympic 100metre runners have reaction times around 100ms or just over.

but that said Treyarch still need to fix the lag issue. they must have known that lag was going to be the iggest isse they would face when making this game... the new features and the pick 10 system are great but if you can't play the game on a fair basis all those great features are worthless.

• 7. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    Godotpwn

False. Everything you (and most other people) have said has nothing to do with lag compensation AT ALL.

• 8. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    Izjar11

So in conclusion - Remove lag comp and constant host swapping.  They are the only thing standing in this games way.

In conclusion you mention nothing new but simply reminded us of something we already knew. How about next time you post something that seems to be useful, re-read it and think aloud (what will others think of what I am saying).

Now, if the latency issue is a problem for you, then I have a question:

What other system would work best to match similar Internet speeds through multiple providers?

• 9. Re: Why lag comp is outdated and should be removed.
    wridtrvlr

Well, some of what you say I agree on.

Why is this "best" search option even in the game??  I get thrown into matches right away, and guess what?  It's a match in Europe....or South America....wtf?!?!  You're telling me that those are absolutely the "best" matches out there and available for me when 15,000 people are playing KC?!?! 

I agree with you, I'll wait up to 5 minutes for a good game, in my region, if they could guarantee playability.  Thing is, people complain when they have to wait even 30 seconds for a match, so they think "instant playability" is better then finding a good connection. 

Something needs to be fixed, and it will, just give them time. 

Lag comp needs to stay in the game. PERIOD. 

1 2 3 Previous Next