36 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 7:33 PM by VersacheX RSS

Is knifing considered a legitimate skill, or frowned upon?

I generally destroy people when I run around with nothing but a knife, maxed perks, and two lethal grenades.  However, the hostility got so extreme that I had to turn chat off completely.  Is this just typical behavior for losing teams, or is knifing considered a legitimate troll move?  I personally enjoy it, but don't want to be regarded as a cheater or troll.

• Re: Is knifing considered a legitimate skill, or frowned upon?

THATS WHY TREYARCH MADE THE GAME DUDE PLAY ANY PLAY STYLE YOU WANT!!!! YOU CAN DO THAT....SO LET EVERYONE GET MAD!!! I DONT CONSIDER IT CHEATING I CONSIDER IT A PLAYSTYLE!!

I see it as a skill, I use pistol and the knife perk on every map it's how I play, anyone can run around with a smg and hold the fire button down in the direction of someone.

I have 2 lethal throwing axe 2 tactical shock knife things and the perks to run and climb faster etc, I play on pc and most people seem ok with it they either find it funny or see me as a free frag if I can't get close to em.

Sometimes when I'm on kill cam they either laught or say it was good because i have had to think about how to get to them why they shoot me ( shock em or run around etc)

At the end of the day if you enter a room and someone is looking out window, are you tuna shoot your gun and be a red dot on screen or go silent and knife them.

Do what you do and don't worry about other players

drunkenroyalty

When you are like most people who knife.. and go 5 kills 23 deaths, youre not helping. And I hate people who play that way on MY team because it feeds scorestreaks. Go knife people in gun game and troll them, at least youre just screwing yourself then.

Hello UnicornViolet,

All i can say is that it is 101% not realistic. You don't see people running with a knife in Afghanistan right?

It is OP, and i have no idea what is Treyarch doing about no 'Panic Knife'.

There is still the knife 'forward' stab action.

Generally, it is the best trolling weapon to piss people off, including me.

Cheers,

Black Jack

SitRepPro

You don't see snipers running and gunning in Afghanistan either.

As a combat veteran, none of this stuff is realistic.  You don't see soldiers running into houses without stacking on the doors first.  I have 3 combat tours and I never got issued a grenade one time because the General doesn't trust soldiers with them.  In real-life, 5-star generals don't actually fight, and getting promoted from Sergeant First Class to Lieutenant is like getting promoted from Frontline Infantry to desk clerk.  You don't see guys jumping out of windows with 60 pounds of gear on (had 3 soldiers in my unit throw their knees out hopping off of a humvee with a full combat load).  In real-life, 99% of the combat you are going to see (aside from roadside bombs) is going to be at night time, where infrared and night vision play a major factor.  Terrorists have never called an air strike on me in real life.  In real-life, you don't shoot a dude three times, and then he shoots you once and you die, and then he regenerates to full health like he was never shot 5 seconds later.  UAV's in real-life are the biggest pieces of ****, and you definitely aren't going to gain any actual intel from them.  The only thing ravens ever did for us was crash land in hostile territory so we got to go on a dangerous mission trying to re-acquire dat ****.  lol.

I could literally list millions of reasons why this game isn't realistic, but I don't know.  Realism aside, I'm more interested in the actual play, and it does seem to piss a lot of people off (you included), and that is really my concern as I want to be part of the community.

Well this game takes place in 2025, not realistic as it isnt 2025 yet, it is a video game, and as such we should be able to do things in a video game that arent so realistic irl.  That is why I like to run and gun, it's fun and dying isnt real or final you might say, getting shot doesnt hurt and I would not do that irl.  That being said, there are those that take this game seriously and condone their "playstyles" with comments like "you wouldnt run around in Afghanistan like a chicken with it's head cut-off, would ya?"  and no I would not and therein lies the point...It IS a video game at the end of the day and should be enjoyed...go play mario kart kids and leave the adults to games with the bad words.  We need to have fun too

Noctis Everto

• There are those that take this game seriously and condone their "playstyles" with comments

The problem with people these days is right there. Everyone Condones their playstyle while it works, and when its not working, EVERYONE and their mom has X number of excuses as to why they died. Be it lag, campers, the knife, and god forbid a gun! O_O

It happens on both sides and its ridiculous. Everyone feels entitled, everyone wants to be at the top without work. They just want everyone to fall dead.

I have a knife class. i found that in the new BO the knife, for me is mightier than the gun. My primary is a scorpion EVO for when I find myself in a area where I have no chance, like open areas and long hallways. I have been getting anywhere from 15 to 35 kills with the majority of them being with the knife. In previous CoD games I HATED the guys that would run  around knifing. Now its my weapon of choice, not out of trolling, but I find that this CoD is the campiest CoD yet! I now can run around, for the most part, and get kills. It's not cheating, trolling, ect.  Here is why. With the recent increase of what I like to call, the CoD elitist fanboy (campers, trickshots, quickscoping, ego driven trollers) I found that they have now moved on from BO1 and are all congregating in the back yards of Nuketown 2025 with their sights up (most likely a sniper or my personal favorite the target finder<-------- the noobiest gun attatchment since the noob tube) knife on bro.  

Harv72

I used to look at players going knife-only in pub matches the same way I look at people going for trickshots there.  But then I watched some of Onlyusemeblade's early gameplays and saw that, at least the way he does it, there's a good deal of skill involved and it actually does help his team win.

Problem is that most of the kids trying to do it don't have anywhere near that skill level and only end up hurting their teams.

imo i use the combat knife a lot and it seems to get the job done, but when i use the regular knife its f*^$#ing bad it took me 3 lunges to kill someone when he was right infront of me, and the reason most people get mad is because they would knife you miss, and you would just knife them and kill them and make it look easy

Run around knifing all you want. Quick scoping is where the problem is. People are using sniper rifles like shotguns.

Harv72

Most people don't appreciate the amount of skill it takes to be successful with a knife-only loadout, and those are the ones who are going to rage on you.  I'm guilty of that myself from time to time (but I always have my mic muted so you won't hear it ).  You also unfortunately get lumped in with the onlyusemeblade wannabes that kill their team going 8-22 in most matches.

In past CoD games with the insane commando lunge you could get with a knife I think it was often a bit cheap, but definitely not now. 

The problem is that knifers can run through a hail of bullets, unaffected.  And because footsteps in this game are meaningless, even with headphones.

I have no problem getting knifed, except when I put 3-4 bullets in the guy before he stabs me.

Knifing shoudl be "nerfed" in the sense that if you are being shot, you should be affected (coordination, movement, etc) and/or your slashes should be less effective, taking multiple hits to kill.

I have a less than spectacular connection, and I believe the issue you are having can simply be attributed to lag or lag comp. A friend of mine regularly runs around with only a knife or pistol/knife combo and I've seen him get killed mid knife plenty of times. Also, they've made the knife hit detection much more picky than in any other CoD game I've played. I have seen him run up and stab someone (who was not moving) square in the back and it didn't register a kill.

They were supposed to make knifing require 2 hits to kill(1 back stab) for core game modes but they didn't cause people cried they wouldn't be able to run through bullets anymore. In my opinion it takes a no skill to knife on core since you can "cheat" the game and become invinsible when you lunge at people. For hardcore however, knifing is legit, since you can really only take 1-2 bullets before you die so you won't be able to lunge though them.

I don't see a problem with it as it would have been in previous games. No Commando, no figure-skater knife lunge, and it seems a lot harder to get that hit off. Not to mention that you have NO primary to back you up whatsoever.

If you manage to ninja knife me without me finding you first (can't sound whore anymore, lucky douche lol), then my hat's off to you.

All I know is if you knife in gun game, people get bent. Its so funny. Honestly though, if I wasnt allowed to knife... why did they give me a knife?

@ fallenshadow000

People consider the knifing cheap because the "combat knife" held in the hands of the player without another weapon equipped actually has a longer reach than the standard "panic knife" a player has available when equipped with a weapon. I'm not sure if the combat knife lunge is a far reaching as in other COD games, but its absolutely longer than the standard melee attack. Also, the combat knife increases movement speed, so when that speed is combined with the pick 10 system, adding lightweight, ghost, ex con, dexterity, the competent knife only player is not only incredibly fast and agile but will also retain his/her knife lunge advantage over that of the ordinary player whose panic knife range is almost nonexistant when holding a gun.

Couple all that with the small maps and...

Is it cheap? I don't know. I'm on the fence. As UnicornViolet has pointed out, this is just a video game, complete with all kinds of video game decisions, so reality doesn't have alot of sway here. But, when someone can enter a room and quickly dispatch 2 other players with a combat knife while being riddled with bullets, its not really about reality vs game its about the cost effectiveness of the weapons in the game. If the knife is utterly superior within 10 meters, and even effective within say 20 meters (not because the lunge is that long but because of all the added perks the player with the knife is moving too quicly to be hit by most players) and nearly all the maps are small...

I've played against teams who only ballistic knife + concussion nade/shock and while they are killable, this playstyle, when employed by skilled players, often empties the lobbies rather quickly. Most people don't understand the difference between the 2 knives, nor will they make the leap in combining perks in several slots and forsaking a firearm altogether, so I don't think this is ever going to become extremely popular, but who knows.

One more thing.

People generally don't like to die instantly. The knife is an instant kill. Even with the perks it absolutely takes skill to manuver into range and attack, but you are removing yourself from the hitmarker problem, and that's something that semi skilled players will have an issue with. And they are probably right in having an issue.

Like, there's absolutely nothing to stop the competent knife player from just equipping a shotgun and using the same combination of perks into a deadly insta kill class, nor is there anything to stop a good QS'er from doing the same thing, but the shotgun and sniper rifle are still bound by the laws of hit scan. The knife functions differently. And its utterly silent. But is it "cheap?" I don't know.

If in 2 months every public game is filled with 4 knife only players, then, yes, it probably is cheap. Right now its too early to tell. Some people are complaining about shotguns being too powerful yet the BO2 shotguns are statistically the weakest in any COD yet. The small maps, however, mean there are more opportunities for the shotgunner to engage his/her target. If the BO2 shotguns were as good on paper as the MW2 or BO or even MW3 shotguns, you would likely not see anything but shotguns in many of the maps. I've also seen people complain about pistols being too powerful, even though they have an actual cost unlike in previous COD's.  I say just keep doing what you are doing. The game is still too new for the really overly powerful things to be in everyone's hands yet.

kustom shoota

Why does every single method of killing in a game that isn't "approved" by a player somehow an issue?

the 1/10 times that they actually do knife you BFD they deserved one kill, all you gotta do is back up when you see them and shoot them.  More power to Treyarch for allowing some diversity in the game

VersacheX

I got a response for you!  Why don't you try that crap in hardcore where it doesn't take twenty bullets to kill you.