23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 3:16 AM by 7echidna7 RSS

why there is some lag shooting

king7085

i thought it was just me playing with lag shooting but why when i shoot at someone i have to waste most of my clip on them

• Re: why there is some lag shooting
    ClonedLF

Because you're bad.

Mrderpski

Either because: You're too far from the host OR you're bad

Padiego

Its not lag shooting, its just a combination of you getting used to the game and the fact that bullets take longer to kill people.

nintendon't

There is no lag shooting. In fact this game has the best connection quality/hit detection I've ever seen in an FPS game. Bullets don't do as much damage on Blops 2 as they did in past games.

Rythmmastr

So the problems that the ps3 guys are having don't carry over to us?

nintendon't

Nope. No bugs or connection problems at all.

Uh, there's lag...unless you can ping everyone's wii u and get 0 ms response time. 

And the wii U's networking layer is the EXACT SAME CODE as the PS360.  They didn't write a completely different networking layer per console.  It's all the same code.   Things are just not that noticable for us because there's barely anyone online.  When there are thousands, 10's of thousands, you will see alot of people HERE complaining of lag compensation and the magic bullets that curve around corners.  Especially when somebody draws host that has a crap ISP or you are host and going against someone with a crappy ISP with bad MTU settings (fragmented packets) and alot of jitter on their line.

If you think they have eliminated lag problems, you're smoking some good crap.  Let's just hope that when it does hit us, it's not that bad.

like2nap03

I agree with this.  Though I do have to admit, it's nice being able to actually run around corners right now and feel safe in doing so.

nintendon't

You know what I meant. No lag as in skipping around the map or being stuck in a room.

Wasn't clear...mainly because you said "lag shooting", not lag as in display issues because of latency or inter/extrapolation issues.  But I understand what you're saying now and I agree...The processing power of the Wii U compenents can more than handle the amount of processing needed for a clean crisp display.  On the wii, I only saw the rubberbanding and teleporting when I was host, because the it just couldn't keep up.  And yes, have kick ass internet and have tuned my settings on my router for the best QoS.

Good article here:http://www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/the-elagaphant/

Although I do disagree with mac on some of the finer issues with lag comp, he did a great job on this article. Pay attention to your MTU settings on the Wii U (it's under settings, connections)

nintendon't

Those guides never work for me to be honest. I tried every guide you could think of to fix my MW3 and it's still unplayable for me to this very day. Once you get affected by the bad side of lag comp you're f*****.

I don't understand why people keep saying Black Ops 2's lag comp takes effect at higher player counts. The game is peer to peer, it's not like there's an in game server being slowed down. It's all player based.

It is peer to peer..it's not server based...  You are correct.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Now, you have a very small sample of people playing.   There aren't widely different ping values going on.  How can I put this?  Ok, it's call of duty..so I will use this analogy..

Let's say you've got a gun with 1000 chambers for bullets...But there are only 5 bullets in it...some are blanks, and only 2 are real (bad isp's out there)..You point the gun at your head and pull the trigger...pretty low chance anything bad will happen.  Right?  You keep pulling the trigger and say, this works great!!!  No problems here!!   THIS GUN IS SAFE!!!!   then more and more bullets get into the mix...some blanks, others not...   Then one day...bang...well, you get the picture now..

it's the fact that we are not experiencing a WIDE array of connections right now..  So as more people get the game, with crappy connections etc...you will be more LIKELY to see the bad side of lag comp.  Maybe the hacker example would be better...1 hacker out of a 10000 players...unlikely you will run into him...then  5000 hackers are added...now, not so unlikely.

Maybe I'm wrong and somehow the Wii U's netcode will not have any problems at all...  I'm just saying, you can say it's working great now, but you can't say it will when the widly different latency values are in your lobby and your getting rewound by lag comp to a time before you ducked around that corner because johnny has enough jitter and latency that, according to lag comp...you never made it to the wall..

Rythmmastr

There is no situation, even wired in the same room, where there is no lag.

Treize

I'd rather have lag shooting than lag compensation.

Better to have to shoot in front of someone than get shot at, turn the corner and die while in cover.

BCCSinCARA

I have no lag shooting so far

when i shoot someone, and i die, even if i have shot first, when i watch the replay it sometimes shows that i havent fired a shot. how can what i see in the game diffrer from the replay?

There's some debate about this...Pundits say that the kill cam does NOT reflect what actually happened in the game, that it itself lags.  Others say it's a reflection of what the game saw.  Theatre mode is supposed to be the actual view of what the host (who is controlling all the gamestate for everyone) saw.   On your screen you fired, but it didn't make it to the host "in time" so it never registered.

3arch or IW has never confirmed this to be true (AFIK).  So it's a hot topic of debate.  You'll also notice things like on your screen you duck behind a wall, but on the kill cam you're still in plain view (hence why you died). 

The next myth (not confirmed) is that people like me, with really, really good internet connections suffer from lag because 3arch/IW has put in a penalty for having low latency (to make it fair to those who don't).  

Like I said, there alot of questions, but very few answers when it comes to lag compensation...which is what you might be experiencing.  

Here's a great video by capp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNPK8XD-k4

PikaBoo

I've yet to see any really bad lag yet maybe you just need to get used to the game

No, we're good pikaboo...I agree.  I haven't seen any bad lag (interpolation of networking) either.  So far so good.  I've only been insta-killed a couple of times. 

I haven't pulled host yet so I'm not sure how lag is going for the host. 

But here's a question for you guys?  I've been host migrated ALOT today.  Anyone else?

7echidna7

I'm going to add my 2cents here.

Lag compensation is needed for every online game. Without lag comp, the host wins hands down every single match. Why you may ask? Well the host has at least a a few seconds (not milliseconds but yes, seconds) advantage over every other player. When playing cod, it's not peer to peer based as people think. The host connects to the server and then the other players connect to the host. The server sees everything everyone does through the host. This is why the host is needed. So the host being connected to the server, his information gets there first, all the other players data next, and then the server sends the information back to the host and then to the other players.

So as you can see the host has an advantage, and then the next best connection and so fourth. Now this all happens very quickly, but upon starting the match the servers check everyone's connections and then sync them up (this is what should happen normally) so there is a feel of no latency. Obviously there's going to be latency somewhere. Now you could have an awesome Internet connection. But the person who is closest to the host will always have the next best connection. Why? Because it takes less time to get to the host.

Now imagine, this server also has another 200k people connected to it. Is everything going to run smoothly? Not likely. So all in all, the people who say bad connections should suffer for a bad connection, take out lag compensation and don't be host. How much will you whine then?