33 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 11:58 PM by dtuchpunk RSS

What is an acceptable K/D.......to you?

So I am reading some of the recent post's and complaints regarding Black Ops II. SO FAR (for me) Black Ops II is actually enjoyable. At this point I have a K/D of 1.2 and still climbing. I have not (YET) experienced any completely absurd and unexplainable incidents.....unlike MW3 where the absurd reached ludicrous levels on a daily basis. At one point this summer I decided to not dashboard 8 out of 10 games and see what happened. Despite having ping times of around 10-15ms at 500 miles in every direction, my K/D averaged .32. I did not turn red, I could not get out of the way, I could not return fire......camping, running and gunning.....no matter, just dead. Over and over and over. On many occasions, I was killed by players who were right in front of me ( according to killcam), but in realtime.....I never saw them. That has YET to happen while playing BO2, and I hope it stays that way. In my humble opinion (with all do respect to those who are not happy), I am getting the impression that some players are screaming mad because their K/D is below a 2.0. Am I just so beat down from MW3 that I am settling for less, or are some people expecting way too much? Again, I am absolutely not trying to piss people off, and I am by no means an online gaming guru.....but is a K/D that's under 2.0 really that bad?  

• Re: What is an acceptable K/D.......to you?
    nicedrewishfela

I just like to stay positive and have fun. I try to keep mine over 1. I challenge myself a lot, try different weapons, and play within the spirit of the game.

K/D can be manipulated, not as much so in this game. Just have fun and play your way.

TABCore

I agree with drew, as long as you're 1+ you're not being a burden on your team, having that said, I feel alot of people have unnecessary hardons for KD and refuse to look at the bigger picture stat wise. I for one would much rather have a guy with a straight 1.00 KD and plays the objective, than a guy who sits back and farms kills for a 3.00+  I'm not a pro gamer, but I do score consistently high on the lobby leaderboards and my KD is only 1.5 something overall, which i may add is typical and is about what I do overall in the past three COD's (I sucked real bad when I played COD4 and MW2.) I'll get in lobbies against guys with 2+ ratio's only to have them dashboard halfway through the match when they start getting wrecked on because they dont want to ruin their poor KD.

Anything below 1.5 is pretty bad tbh, if you can't keep your k/d up you're going to be pretty useless to your team in any game mode.

TABCore

So someone with a .5 ratio and 6 caps in DOM is useless?

skinzy420

come on there is alwasy that game where somebody is camp happy and goes bonkers on your spawn site. I was playing the infamous Nuketown, and however it happen this guy had 162 kills...It was maddening

The thing is, they won't have those caps, because they will die too often to do so, and they are incapable of defending a flag too, they would just be giving the other team kills which gets them killstreaks, which causes you to lose.

TABCore

You clearly have never payed Domination with my girlfriend then, I swear that woman has a knack for capping B sites i dont know how she does it. She typically gets anywhere between 4-6 caps (depending on how often the opposing team even tries to get a flag) and yet she almost always goes negative for KD on dom matches. 

blaZed4twenty

exactly what blackie chan said

if u go back to black ops 1, the last game i played objective games, i had a 2.47 k/d and about 90% of games i had the most caps, the most defends and usually the most kill streaks up too...black bird, chopper gunner, dogs.

there's very good objective players like i used to be and there's dumb .5 kd players that are stupid and cant play a good game.

example domination i'd go for B, i had to make sure i killed 2 or 3 players before i even jumped on it cus u know people are trying to defend after that, i'd jump in and keep checking areas people would come from and still get another kill or 2.

i play team deathmatch now and k/d actually matters on here cus the more deaths u get the bigger burden u are to ur team to get a loss.

TABCore

I never said there arent players who can keep good KD and still play Objectives, I do. All i was saying was I'd rather have someone who played the objective and went negative than the dudes who dont play the objective and just pretend their in a TDM lobby.

blaZed4twenty

i rather have the k/d star keeping the enemy back for awhile with kill streaks.  than opponent kill streaks from the retard on my team that cant be smart and check areas before he dives in and expects no1 to be looking to defend the letter

i rather take the smart player than the dumb player...mabye the k/d star knows he'll suck at getting a letter atleast he'll help a little by keeping some guys dead away from the objective for a bit

vims1990

Don't worry about your K/D ratio or what other's think of it.

K/D can be manipulated through dashboarding or rage quitting just because a match isn't going their way.

In the lobbies I played today, I made a couple of 2+ K/D players dashboard just because their "slaying" wasn't getting to their scorestreaks as fast as what I was doing to them with my captures  in Domination giving me Hellstorm Missiles and Lightning Strikes for them to deal with.

As I said, don't worry about a silly stat.

filthykur

It depends if you play different game types.  Some people look at SPM as a better stat since it takes into consideration objective captures and also team based actions (hacking equipment, assists, care package sharing, etc.)

If all you play is TDM then K/DR will be the main stat.

jahMoon

So you had 15ms ping at MW3 and was getting destroyed?  My guess a cable connection with a lot of packet loss.  Had a really fast connection before, but not stable....makes gameplay very difficult.  I kinda care about k/d and want mine to be over 2.  However, with that PPM stat...anything over 1 is okay.  You should be more specific...TDM, FFA....?

My ping was under 15ms 90% of the time. I think the real problem was matchmaking, as I was playing against people who were at least 1000 miles away the vast majority of the time. My 10-15 ms ping times were voided because I rarely played against anyone even remotely close to the midwest. In MW3 my SPM was 173, now in BO2 its 280. I dont know for sure whats changed, but I am assuming that the matchmaking has been tweaked.

jahMoon

Not a network guy, I am an application developer project manager and never understand what the network guys are talking about.  Only know ping can be good, but suffer from packet loss.  If you do a ping test and ping rates are constant and no packet loss...then you can blame COD giving an unfair advantage to unstable connections.  But, every FPS game has to set the rules to determine who gets killed. 

I set my matchmaking to local only...most games everyone has a 4 bar connection.  If I see a couple of 3 bar connections I will quit before the match starts.

I thinking you have a cable connection from Canada. 

On Blops 1 and mwf3 a 1.5 kdr and up would be respectable/good. On this game, 1.0 and up would probably be respectable. I can't wait for them to fix all the major issues on this game...

infamy96797

the K/D you had in cod4 is the most important.

supervelous

I really don't care much about my KD.  I finished MW3 at 2.52...and am only at 1.7 for BLOPS 2.  But my SPM is much higher, I cap more flags, etc. 

The only thing that bugs me is feeling as if the gunfights, in a shooting game, aren't "fair". 

I never had an issue or complained about connection in MW3, and I never reached a 1 KD until about 10,000 kills.  In other words, at this time last year I was way worse in MW3 than I am not in Black Ops, I probably had a 0.70 KD.  Yet I never felt it wasn't fair (for me, I know some people had this same issue with MW3, it played flawless for me).

Proclaimor

Overall try to keep a positive K/D ratio. When I'm trying to prestige the 870 or a pistol and really forcing the issue I think 0.8 is acceptable. When I hear 9 year old kids in games that are so happy just to be playing BO2 and have a 0.4 and don't care, I realize having fun is the main objective.

Fireman0025

It is just a game. play how you want to play. THe people who give their life and soul to keeping their K/D a 2+ need to reevaluate their priorities*

I used to try and keep myself positive. Then my average bacame a 1.07 and a tried to keep pushing it up. I got by BO up to a 1.1 and my BO2 is doing even better. But i use my KD as a benchmark on how i am doing. I try and push it up as a goal to myself, not so i can brag about it.

*not saying their is anything wrong with a 2+ KD, just that keeping it that way should probably not be your number 1 goal in life.

dtuchpunk

K/D doesn't matter me much. As long I've fun playing and getting decent scores. And with a launcher quite easy