17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 3:27 PM by maccabi RSS

Lag compensation

why create a game following from black ops and then add this crap lag compensation i have a good connection with ping and i get punished and manage to get killed by 2-3 bullets yet i can shoot others and they take about 10 plus before they die i think you should sort this out or it will be another fail of a game like mw3.

also i know this is via treyarch as i have tried playing the game on system link via xbs link and xlink kai and dont have any troubles atall so treyarch activision sort it out yet another fail since activision has been on the scene

  • Re: Lag compensation
    bavaria

    Yep this game has some ''good'' Lag compensation

    • Re: Lag compensation

      na its far from good mate i pay good money to have a good connection to play online and its destroyed by game makers that decide to add it because of all the tight people who wont part with the £$$$££s because of game developers making things better for them this has to stop and be put right

      • Re: Lag compensation
        maccabi

        Scripter666 wrote:

         

        na its far from good mate i pay good money to have a good connection to play online and its destroyed by game makers that decide to add it because of all the tight people who wont part with the £$$$££s because of game developers making things better for them this has to stop and be put right

        Actually you pay whatever you pay to have EXACTLY the same connection quality as everyone else (discounting whatever traffic routing/management your own isp employs) . what you pay extra for is bandwidth which unless you're host isn't really something that matters for online gaming.

         

        also the game is not out yet, At the moment all you are being matched with is a very very small pool of players who have the game spread all over the world., and as such obviously at times connections are not going to be perfect.

         

        Wait till after the offical launch on the 13th when theres actually millions online not a few thousand.

        • Re: Lag compensation
          blb128

          Way to set them staight Maccabi. I explained the same thing about a small pool of players for matchmking in another thread yesterday. The mods should lock these threads until after release day. Its fine for these players to play the game early but they should know not to expect the best online experience through matchmaking until it has been released to the masses.

        • Re: Lag compensation

          I pay for a very fast fibre optic connection which has speeds of 80mb download and 20 mb upload

          [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2300581378.png[/IMG][/URL]

          i always act as host so should have no problems with hitting people however i have come from black ops into black ops 2 as i hated modern warfare for the same reasons and never experience problems with games then also you say that people are miles away from me but they are all on green bars and also i have spoken with them and they are mostly from the uk link wont show but click and you will see what i mean

          • Re: Lag compensation
            maccabi

            Scripter666 wrote:

             

            I pay for a very fast fibre optic connection which has speeds of 80mb download and 20 mb upload

            [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2300581378.png[/IMG][/URL]

            i always act as host so should have no problems with hitting people however i have come from black ops into black ops 2 as i hated modern warfare for the same reasons and never experience problems with games then also you say that people are miles away from me but they are all on green bars and also i have spoken with them and they are mostly from the uk

            no you don't have a very fast fibre optic line, you have a fibre optic line with BANDWIDTH of 80 down and 20 up

             

            That doesn't make your line faster. It's a very popular misconception people have because isps and sites like the one you linked use the word speed. I have a as my main gaming connection a bog standard bt adsl line we both send and recieve data at basically the same speed.

             

            But again even as host there is a very small player pool, and as host people are connecting to you.

            You're on infinity right>  Theres alot of factor there that would degrage your line quality for gaming right there as host ....Using the standard bthomehub right? did you turn off the free wifi you're giving to everyone in your street? Connected via a communal cable shared with everyone else in your street, Also you're currently playing at peak time as its the weekend so bt's traffic management comes into play... i could go on here.

             

            Nutshell fact, don't base your experiences on a tiny player pool, or some arbitrary meaningless number given miscalled "speed"  also your ping changes depending where you ping to, you obviously used a server closest to you  again this is actually meaningless/

      • Re: Lag compensation

        i live in lebanon and pay 80 bucks for a 2mb down speed with a 300 ping so please dont say others arnt paying because in other countries internet is more expensive:)

  • Re: Lag compensation

    In reply to this the new system for matchmaking is via the amount of ping per second from your device to the treyarch server. This is an experimental matchmaking system so it may not be perfect but the result should be you playing with players of a similar connection.

    • Re: Lag compensation
      maccabi

      katamariskill wrote:

       

      In reply to this the new system for matchmaking is via the amount of ping per second from your device to the treyarch server. This is an experimental matchmaking system so it may not be perfect but the result should be you playing with players of a similar connection.

      Exact details of how matchmaking done is behind the curtian stuff, but its not experimental nor is it exactly as you described.

       

      With the greatest of respect in areas such as matchmaking/*generic term of lag comp. Unless you are 100% certian of something it's best not to post something as "fact" people pick up on these typoes of threads and the whole messy cycle of misinformation starts all over again.

  • Re: Lag compensation
    gallp13

    Pro tip read "Elagaphant" thread before you start discussions on lag comp. it will help you better understand your issues and give you some corrective actions to take that will improve your on lne gaming exerience. Good luck.

     

    Thanks to Macabbi for all his networking wisdom.

  • Re: Lag compensation

    right firstly i must point out that ive got infinity 2 weekends does not affect my speeds as they are always good and never drop under 70mb and no lower than 13 on upload this is weekends and evenings so the traffic management is out the question im well aware of what it is before you go in to detail.

     

    secondly i have not got a bt homehub as i got rid of the standard setup and instead hooked myself up with a Vigor 2750, i know about networking my xbox is wired and not wireless i have no wireless devices connected and wireless is off at this time of day it is 17.01 and quite alot of people are on the net as its a weekend this is my current speed so dont comment and point the prob in my connection.

     

    [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2300969757.png[/IMG][/URL]

     

    it is a problem on there server maybe a script needs changing to stop the lag comp or maybe turn it down a bit as i have played with many people from uk and it isnt that and link i say when playing on xlink kai or xbs link via system link the problems not there so its something server related and getting very close to initial launch of game are they even aware of this problem

    • Re: Lag compensation
      maccabi

      Im just going to assume you didnt actually read any of my posts ..

       

       

      Scripter666 wrote:

       

      right firstly i must point out that ive got infinity 2 weekends does not affect my speeds as they are always good and never drop under 70mb and no lower than 13 on upload this is weekends and evenings so the traffic management is out the question im well aware of what it is before you go in to detail.

       

       

      That is NOT speed, its BANDWIDTH, you shouldn't even have drops in bandwidth if your line quality is good, if its fluctuating that much from what you said you originaly had i'd be on the phone to bt asking why,

      Also traffic management and traffic throttling do NOT change your bandwidth so running any number of bandwidth tests (which you keep refering to as speed tests) dont mean didlly squat. Traffic management affects how data (packets) is routed and carried at peak times so the isps own network doesnt grind to a halt. So no i dont think were really aware what it is. There are numerous tests you can do online to see if your isp employs any form of management google is your friend. but seriously stop using speedtest its pointless, if you must insist on these type of things at least do a pingtest to aserver far away in europe or america that will give  you and us a much better understanding of your line quality.

       

       

      Scripter666 wrote:

       

      secondly i have not got a bt homehub as i got rid of the standard setup and instead hooked myself up with a Vigor 2750, i know about networking my xbox is wired and not wireless i have no wireless devices connected and wireless is off at this time of day it is 17.01 and quite alot of people are on the net as its a weekend this is my current speed

       

      [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2300969757.png[/IMG][/URL]

       

       

      That is not your current speed, please read what i wrote in earlier posts. But props for not using the homehub i assume you have correctly set up the router, with the right ports forwarded? as you obviously know about networking as you stated i will assume also you've correctly setup the QoS on your router right?

       

      Scripter666 wrote:

       

      so dont comment and point the prob in my connection.

       

       

       

      I was just pointing out where your post and knowledge was wrong (its nothing personal just posts like these cause more problems as the misconceptions about the game and networking persists) but again imho the problem is the fact the game is not out its that simple.

       

       

      Scripter666 wrote:

       

      it is a problem on there server maybe a script needs changing to stop the lag comp or maybe turn it down a bit as i have played with many people from uk and it isnt that and link i say when playing on xlink kai or xbs link via system link the problems not there so its something server related and getting very close to initial launch of game are they even aware of this problem

      Again as you obviously also didnt bother to read this earlier

      The game is not even out yet ...there is a tiny amount of people who have it, there isnt a problem with the game , obviously the game works fine when you play system linked or local as you arent going over the internet.

       

      but free fell to ignore myself and others replies once again,

       

      If i could suggest though with the greatest of respect wait till after the games out tuesday and then start commenting

      • Re: Lag compensation

        maccabi wrote:

         

        Im just going to assume you didnt actually read any of my posts ..

         

         

        Scripter666 wrote:

         

        right firstly i must point out that ive got infinity 2 weekends does not affect my speeds as they are always good and never drop under 70mb and no lower than 13 on upload this is weekends and evenings so the traffic management is out the question im well aware of what it is before you go in to detail.

         

         

        That is NOT speed, its BANDWIDTH, you shouldn't even have drops in bandwidth if your line quality is good, if its fluctuating that much from what you said you originaly had i'd be on the phone to bt asking why,

        Also traffic management and traffic throttling do NOT change your bandwidth so running any number of bandwidth tests (which you keep refering to as speed tests) dont mean didlly squat. Traffic management affects how data (packets) is routed and carried at peak times so the isps own network doesnt grind to a halt. So no i dont think were really aware what it is. There are numerous tests you can do online to see if your isp employs any form of management google is your friend. but seriously stop using speedtest its pointless, if you must insist on these type of things at least do a pingtest to aserver far away in europe or america that will give  you and us a much better understanding of your line quality.

         

         

        Scripter666 wrote:

         

        secondly i have not got a bt homehub as i got rid of the standard setup and instead hooked myself up with a Vigor 2750, i know about networking my xbox is wired and not wireless i have no wireless devices connected and wireless is off at this time of day it is 17.01 and quite alot of people are on the net as its a weekend this is my current speed

         

        [URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2300969757.png[/IMG][/URL]

         

         

        That is not your current speed, please read what i wrote in earlier posts. But props for not using the homehub i assume you have correctly set up the router, with the right ports forwarded? as you obviously know about networking as you stated i will assume also you've correctly setup the QoS on your router right?

         

        Scripter666 wrote:

         

        so dont comment and point the prob in my connection.

         

         

         

        I was just pointing out where your post and knowledge was wrong (its nothing personal just posts like these cause more problems as the misconceptions about the game and networking persists) but again imho the problem is the fact the game is not out its that simple.

         

         

        Scripter666 wrote:

         

        it is a problem on there server maybe a script needs changing to stop the lag comp or maybe turn it down a bit as i have played with many people from uk and it isnt that and link i say when playing on xlink kai or xbs link via system link the problems not there so its something server related and getting very close to initial launch of game are they even aware of this problem

        Again as you obviously also didnt bother to read this earlier

        The game is not even out yet ...there is a tiny amount of people who have it, there isnt a problem with the game , obviously the game works fine when you play system linked or local as you arent going over the internet.

         

        [RBM]


        [RBM]

  • Re: Lag compensation
    maccabi

    Scripter666 wrote:

     

     


    This just proves you dont know as much as me t

     

    oh i assure you i do,

     

    Scripter666 wrote:

    [RBM]

    [RBM]

     

    but thank you as you have just PROVEN the point I have been saying all along. By using tunneling software you are bypassing the games own matchmaking system which PROVES the netcode is fine as you then stated the games playing fine for you, as thats the ONLY difference to running the game through xbl or via tunneling software ie the method by which you are placed into sessions.....and Thank you as I said original and have been from day one most problems people are having is due to matchmaking atm.

     

    Just so you are completely 100% clear here.

     

    You haven't changed the netcode of the game at all.

    You have changed the method by which you connect to other players

    You have stated the game plays fine when you do this.

    You are still connected to players in exactly the same way as you would be had you used the games own matchmaking system.

     

    Ergo the netcodes fine, matchmaking has issues which again incase you missed this the first few times, is what I have been saying from day one and something treyarch has already stated they would address with a few tweaks once they had more data.

    • Re: Lag compensation

      Maccabi, I don't mean to bash, but Treyarch had at least one year of data so that this could be tweaked. MW3 ran very similar to this game, but it didn't seem to be as prevalent as quickly. In less than one week, this game is ruined for me online.

       

       

      Everyone has their hopes up that Treyarch will fix this issue. I don't see any possible way without launching a new netcode altogether, or better yet.... switch to dedicated servers. But that's another story, another game.....

      • Re: Lag compensation
        maccabi

        wildgator25 wrote:

         

        Maccabi, I don't mean to bash, but Treyarch had at least one year of data so that this could be tweaked. MW3 ran very similar to this game, but it didn't seem to be as prevalent as quickly. In less than one week, this game is ruined for me online.

         

         

        Everyone has their hopes up that Treyarch will fix this issue. I don't see any possible way without launching a new netcode altogether, or better yet.... switch to dedicated servers. But that's another story, another game.....

        anf they took that data and did what any sesnible dev team would do and changed the way the game matchmakes.

    • Re: Lag compensation

      I'm just wondering how much 'tweakage' Treyarch have up their sleeves here. Perhaps changing a few config parameters to shape their data etc.. However, I very much doubt there's a silver bullet code-rewrite on the cards so if anyone is expecting that then you'll be disapointed. Treyarch will probably now be in maintenance/next-game mode (all of the coding would have been completed weeks ago).

       

      Still, I haven't given up hope for said tweaks to be rolled out - it's still very early days.