14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 2:03 PM by Harv72 RSS

CAMPTRON 5000.5

DaStrinix

I fully expect there will be a slew of negative comments but for everyone one of those i am sure there will be people in some way agreeing with me.  In saying that lets dive into the subject of camping, and i am not talking about objective based camping i am talking about waiting in a dark corner back in your spawn.

I have diverted away from this subject because there are truly times when i could see that camping might be necessary; however, i can also see there being times when its just out and out obnoxious. 

There is a difference between slow and methodical and just sitting literally in one spot the whole game.  And while the oppossing team does not have to charge you everytime; it tends to stalemate the game.

I have a simple solution. 

Allow for an alloted amount of time to stay stationary; after the alloted time period has passed the amount of points an individual may obtain on frags be reduced to half or 50 points for you mathmatical geniuses.

If you are serious about providing cover for team based objectives or covering your teams back then having your score cut by half won't kill you.  There are areas on this game that are seriously hard to take control of without using radiculous amounts of flashbangs and explosives.  While everyone loves a good COD style explosion unfortunately we can only bring so much.  

• Re: CAMPTRON 5000.5
    ghamorra

That's a lot of effort to deter something that cannot be proven good or bad. Camping is such an arbitrary
    word anymore. Who's to say that one person camping "badly" is any different than a person camping "goodly"

You said it yourself. Sometime the situation calls for it, how's the game suppose to decide the appropriateness of camping. The game's already taken massive steps to deter it

I have recently started corner camping...  On games where I am a decade behind everyone else on the other team, I have decided to just hide and hope that no one finds me until the next match where I will hopefully be a little closer to the invisible guy that has killed me so many times.  I look it at as an elborate game of hide and go seek.  At least if I am hiding in a back corner I am only 1 and 8 versus 1 and 25 so the rest of my team has a chance to win.

Hoaks

I think you will see the "camping" drop off some as people learn the maps, they may have just ran into a room they found, it had a window and they go tlucky on timing.  Objective games have a lot of people covering the objective so I stay out of those unless I am in a party that wants to play them.  In TDM you really can't camp with all the UAV's and even if you have ghost you show up after 3 or 5 seconds of not moving, so their not really an issue.  All the building have back doors or side windows to get in, I get a lot of revenge kills that way.  But sometimes people are calling out camper before they see the killcam, I had a team call me a spawn trap explitive, becuase I ran aroung a building where they happened to spaen three guys that ran ten feet and stopped behind cover, I shot them all.  Kept running aroung got kiled, liked the path so I tried it again and got two more that were facing the other way behind cover, and told me to stop camping the area.  It's all perspective, I guess.

DaStrinix

I understand what you're saying; i truly do with spawns i have also seen that.  And i have also seen people on TDM lying down in their spawns the whole game.  I know i play TDM solely and i have seen an increase in the amount people "CAMPING".  If one team stays in their designated ambush spot and the other teams does the same thing what do you get....a stalemate.  This is a option that doesn't completely penalize players but helps move the game along and keep it active for ALL PLAYERS.  Its frustrating to feel like you're the only player doing anything.

Hoaks

I get what you're saying, they are good campers that make me curse the day they were born, seems like they move to the right window everytime I move.  But for the most part they are not smart about it, I get probably half my kills from flanking a guy standing behind a car, barrel, or some hay. So for that I don't mind them, I kill way more of them, and stay away from the building a guy got me from twice. If I can't get him the second time, he's the better man, and I will avoid him. When I get the bad one's on my team though I would certainly agree with penalties, I had three guys last night all ran to the first building in TDM, all went something like .23 KDR, if they had blown up from sitting they may have died less while running back to their spot.

DaStrinix

This applies to that as well.  I to have felt like the only one of my team not hidding in spawn. I enjoy flanking the other team and out smarting them.  But when awhole team does that its overwhelming and truthfully ruins the game.  There are just some spots that you can't flank and explosions are only going to do somuch. 

And i have learned on this game that when you make entry into a room; you had better know where the opposing person is, drawn down first, or you WILL LOSE.  I do like this game for that reason you have to be more careful in your searches and movements.  Spraying and praying just doesn't work.

Izjar11

If you are serious about providing cover for team based objectives or covering your teams back then having your score cut by half won't kill you.  There are areas on this game that are seriously hard to take control of without using radiculous amounts of flashbangs and explosives.  While everyone loves a good COD style explosion unfortunately we can only bring so much.

you make an interesting post, but the entire complexity of not allowing someone to play the game as they want is my concern. Let them camp, let them wait, hide, what ever.

Treyarch has already attempted reducing the total hiding factor from the game, it is what it is.

DaStrinix

It still allows them to play how they want; its a motivator.  Hey you want full points don't be like Opum on Saving Private Ryan.  Get out there, throw down, or atleast try. 

Harv72

TDM and FFA are probably the only game modes which don't already punish campers the way you've suggested.  All of the objective-based game modes do, in that anything done in relation to an objective gets you far more points than kills do.  Easy example, in Domination you earn 50 points for capping your home flag, 100 points for a kill, and 200 points for capping any other flag (including recapturing your home flag should the enemy take it).  You get 125 for killing an enemy on or near a flag, you get 200 points for killing an enemy while you are capping one.  Simplest terms:

Camper caps A at the start, then settles into his corner and runs off 10 straight kills.  He's earned 1050 points towards his scorestreaks.

I cap A at the start and move forward towards B.  I kill two people on their way there, and then 1 more while successfully capping B.  I back off the flag & move into an area where I can easily get back to B, which pays off as I collect 2 defends, a straight kill, and a 50-point assist.  I've also earned 1050 points, but in a fraction of the time it took the camper and while only needing to collect 6 kills.

I do still see my share of people lying prone in one place for the entire game, but whatever--they paid their $60 same as me & earned the right to play however they want.  It bugs me a little when they're on my team because that means the rest of us have to work harder to get the win, but when they're on the other team I welcome it: they're not stopping me from winning, and eventually in the course of navigating the map I'll end up behind them for an easy kill anyway.

Highwayman0226

Some people don't like to constantly run around the map.  They might be on the bitter end of lag comp, or just not have good enough reflexes or aim to be competitive going full sprint to firing.  I personally prefer to find an area on the map I like and patrol it.  Sitting still waiting for someone to come to you is boring.  Holding an area, moving back and forth isn't bad.  If I'm camping, so be it.

DaStrinix

I am talking about sitting in one spot, not moving, or hidding in a corner.  Holding an area you're moving from spot to spot checked different avenues of fire.  In this aspect difficulty increases along with your risk.