19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 12:19 PM by ghamorra RSS

Black Ops II Report Card

ghamorra

Gamemodes: 8

I think Hardpoint was a great addition. It's like Domination without the spawntrapping ability and it seems to take Team Defender elements and better execute them. I also enjoyed the changes to existing gamemodes. Killconfirmed is better with 90 tags, the halftime in DOM helps reduce the spawntrapping, and the new OT rules for CTF really pushes the gamemode to the next level of intense. Overall the changes to the gamemodes were spot on

The downside though is TDM still doesn't last long enough. I think there needs to be more kills to win. Search and Destroy also needs more rounds and some way to push the tempo of the gamemode, I have a hard time staying interested when playing it (but that's just me). Also Hardcore needs more love. I suggest that will change soon. I think Trey just wanted to get a feel for what the community wanted before segmenting the community into too many gamemodes

Scorestreaks: 5

I'm genuinely on the fence here. I like the Scorestreak system a lot, it give more incentive to go for the objective and fight for the win. However It's grossly unorganized and fails in a few key areas. First off the CUAV is too high and the Guardian is too low. Also the Swarm is way OP since it likes to make its way into the lower deck of Hijacked. The Sentry Gun's name should be changed to the Sentry Sniper and the Hunter Killer Drone is lazy and easily settles for the UAV

What I do like though is balance between the points you earn. I've yet to notice and problems with how many points you get per kill or objective capture in any gamemode

Graphics: 9

Yet again Call of Duty lands a huge hit in the graphic department. The first Black Ops was a little lack luster, but Black Ops II has a great feel to it and the textures are excellent. Where I see the strongest evidence of this is simply in the detail. Every inch of the game looks like it's been hand painted, even in the areas you don't bother looking. I'm thoroughly impressed

Why it doesn't get a 10 is because it's not a major improvement. It looks a lot like MW3 and giving a 10 for a repeat performance doesn't instill motivation now does it?

Environment: 8

The lack of exploding red barrels, cars, and other annoyances that seem to hunt me down and kill me have been greatly reduced in Black Ops II. For that I'm grateful. I can finally start focusing on the enemy and not whether or not the barrel around the corner will somehow kill me

Where I feel the environment fails is in the fact that everything can be shot through. From bombsites to solid brick and steel, it seems that all the structures and objects are made out of paper. Also the in game graphics take up a lot of space and are not as transparent as I'd like them to be. But that's personal prefrence (Hint: an option should allow customization of this)

Maps: 2

The most brutal part of this review goes to maps. I don't have a lot of nice things to say here, and the list is extensive so I'll try to be brief

First off, they're far to small. I know they're complex and each map has different focal points, but generally speaking every part of the map is a hop, skip, and a jump away from each other. Playing Demolition it's not hard to run from one bombsite to other and defuse both bombs. I know the tempo was asked to be pushed, but it's ridiculous and has caused problem in some below areas

Second, the maps are grossly similar to each other. I can describe half the maps in the same way, they don't differ that much. It wouldn't be such a bad thing if not for the fact that the layout wasn't so poor to begin with.

The third and final fail of the maps is how open they are. There's a million and one ways to get to any point on the map, and while that makes the transit from point A to point B easy, it makes it very hard to organize a strong strategy as you're constantly having to fend off enemies from so many angles. It also makes it hard to hold a Scorestreak since the chance of someone poping up behind you is so great, especially when you're on radar all the time

The only part saving the maps from being a zero is how they do have somewhat of a cool factor and while the layout is the same they all feel different

Spawns: 6

There is no revenge spawn system in Black Ops II and the spawn system is infact better than MW3. The problem I'm noticing though is with the map itself causing spawnkilling and the fact that after MW3 teams have a predisposition to automatically go for the trap rather than duke it out the old fashioned way. I've seen plenty of killcams where the enemy was far away from where I spawned, but the simple fact that maps are so small the quickly wandered into my area. All it took was a wrong turn by me to lead to my death

So while the spawns aren't bad from a programing flaw, they're nonetheless bad

Guns: 5

Anyone who says the guns are balanced obviously weren't fans of the Mk14, FAL, or M16 in any of the other game. Single shot and burst weapons are horrid. Veteran users of these types of guns have found some major difficulties competing with SMGs and some of the full autos that exist. ARs in general are outclassed, but thankfully the the Type25 and M27 and SCAR have enough damage to at least compete at range (whenever you might happen to find a line of sight that can be called that)

Black Ops II is prodominately and SMG heavy game based on the map layouts alone, add to that the power they bring (mostly due to the attachments) there's really no use for any other gun and SMGs are flirting with the OP line

Sniping has forever been ruined by QSers, and because of that I'm seeing more and more snipers being molded around the QSing phenomenon. Black Ops II makes this way to easy

Shotties are pretty decent, while the long barrel adds a lot of range to them I've yet to see any issues. LMGs have weight to them so the slow movement speed keeps them from being overpower SMGs. Pistols finally have a place in CoD again after being nerfed majorly in MW3 and Black Ops. I like the ability to have a "fun"class again which greatly saved this catagory

The attachments in the game add a much needed diversification to custom classes. For once guns can be molded to the type of player. This would be nice had players the ability to use they're skill sets in practical situations. This is yet another collateral disaster brought about by the maps. Aside from Raid, Turbine, and Express, I don't see how anyone can snipe or even use the ACOG effectively without sitting in one particular spot

Equipment: 8

I think for once, CoD finally figured out how to manage equipment to make every playstyle happy. No that they're refillable and the Pick 10 system forces players make sacrifices, there's really no fault in this area except for one. The Shock Charge is a great addition to the CoD world, but combined with the BB or Claymore it makes the game frustrating without Engineering. Moving the SC to lethal, or making it so it sends of an electric pulse that destroying BBs and Claymores in it's area, is the only solution I can think of

Perks: 7

It's a hard thing to do, but balancing perks is must. This is something I think has always been a real challenge and can really place a huge impact on the game. Black Ops II did not balance perks well. Tier 2 has nothing of value other than Scavenger. Tiers 1 and 3 need to share the love

A major plus though is the removal of Second Chance. No more having to waste ammo on those twats, finally a game where a kill is a kill. Big points there

Lag: 4

It's still early and with hot fixes going out and patches fixing some issues, connectivity won't have it's time to be tweaked for a while. But as of right now it's playing as big a role as ever in the playability of the game and it's not been a good experience

Total: 62/100

• Re: Black Ops II Report Card
    wridtrvlr

Great post G.

So looks like it is almost getting a failing grade, but there are some bright spots in there.

I haven't played enough MP to make a thorough assessment for myself yet.  I've been stuck on Zombies each time I play b/c I am unable to play MP.  Hopefully today I'll be able to log some time and give a better assessment. 

robbierocket

Love your presentation. 10/10 for you.

mbp93

Very well written mate, good observations - but I would probably give the Lag/Connection part an even lower score, maybe a 2..

Izjar11

Gamemodes: 8

I think Hardpoint was a great addition.

Yes, its a very fun mode to play and win at!

First off the CUAV is too high and the Guardian is too low. Also the Swarm is way OP since it likes to make its way into the lower deck of Hijacked. The Sentry Gun's name should be changed to the Sentry Sniper and the Hunter Killer Drone is lazy and easily settles for the UAV

I like the scorestreak system and it sounds more or less like your not satisfied with how the actual options are arranged.

The most brutal part of this review goes to maps. I don't have a lot of nice things to say here, and the list is extensive so I'll try to be brief

First off, they're far to small. I know they're complex and each map has different focal points, but generally speaking every part of the map is a hop, skip, and a jump away from each other. Playing Demolition it's not hard to run from one bombsite to other and defuse both bombs. I know the tempo was asked to be pushed, but it's ridiculous and has caused problem in some below areas

Second, the maps are grossly similar to each other. I can describe half the maps in the same way, they don't differ that much. It wouldn't be such a bad thing if not for the fact that the layout wasn't so poor to begin with.

The third and final fail of the maps is how open they are. There's a million and one ways to get to any point on the map, and while that makes the transit from point A to point B easy, it makes it very hard to organize a strong strategy as you're constantly having to fend off enemies from so many angles. It also makes it hard to hold a Scorestreak since the chance of someone poping up behind you is so great, especially when you're on radar all the time

The only part saving the maps from being a zero is how they do have somewhat of a cool factor and while the layout is the same they all feel different

I have to disagree here G'. the complexity you speak of is a good thing. I've had some good fire fights in this game unlike MW3 which were far and few. I find the maps challenging and important to know how to use to win.

You gave the maps a 2 yet the spawns a 6! The spawns are what I feared the evil revenge spawn system from MW3.  Its a very hard thing to deal with when you spawn or the enemy does very nearby. I say the spawn system should get a two in your rating.

Lag: 4

It's still early and with hot fixes going out and patches fixing some issues, connectivity won't have it's time to be tweaked for a while. But as of right now it's playing as big a role as ever in the playability of the game and it's not been a good experience

I agree here, lag is getting worse for some reason, more players, more lag?

Great post G... thanks for sharing your experience thus far.

I have to say that the game is progressing as it should and soon enough (those) who play it will understand it more and more. Now I am not claiming it to be the best COD (its only been 6 days) we have 359 more days to go! It has potential and I do not want to rush the game to better enjoy it. 

ghamorra

Izjar11 wrote:

I have to disagree here G'. the complexity you speak of is a good thing. I've had some good fire fights in this game unlike MW3 which were far and few. I find the maps challenging and important to know how to use to win.

You gave the maps a 2 yet the spawns a 6! The spawns are what I feared the evil revenge spawn system from MW3.  Its a very hard thing to deal with when you spawn or the enemy does very nearby. I say the spawn system should get a two in your rating.

I like the complexity, I just wish it was spread out more with longer lines of sights and the ability to control the maps more. Everything is so packed together that it on all maps (key part there) that I rarely feel the need to use a sniper or burst AR

These maps are very "in-your-face" style. This leads to the bad spawns as the maps are small so the enemy is always near by. This isn't the fault of the spawning system at all. It a problem with the safety the maps don't provide

Izjar11

These maps are very "in-your-face" style. This leads to the bad spawns as the maps are small so the enemy is always near by. This isn't the fault of the spawning system at all. It a problem with the safety the maps don't provide

This is true.... Its a forced encounter design. I never thought about spawn like this. Good one.

ghamorra

The complexity is nice, but if you know where you're going you can reach any point on the map in seconds time. It's just that small geographically

I get what you're saying though. There's a lot of places to go and every building inside the maps can be explored giving it the depth and vastness

rlbl

very nice break down... I (personally) could not agree more.

For BO2 to get a score of 62 , I would have to say that:

BO1 would be around a 40 (bot for me high 40s)

MW2 - in the low 50s

MW3 - single digits (ok that is harsh)... maybe a 15

COD4 (for me*) - high 50s

W@W - low to mid 30s

(but that is all my opinion).

I really think that when the silly technical issues of the game are worked out, this is the best I will have played.

* I unfortunately did not get to play COD4 pre-hacked.

I would be having a better time if they would beef up the HC playlist.

AC_786

1 of the best posts concerning this game so far .....

hopwas2010

I would give graphics a score of 4. MW3 graphics is far superior to Black Ops 2 and don't get me wrong but BO2 is very cartoon-ary.

In MW3, you see palm trees swaying and its leave rustling. Electric pole sparking in Baakara and waves in Seatown. Also details in MW3 is far sharper and more life-like than BO2.

ghamorra

There's really not a whole lot of trees or foliage in Black Op II, maybe that's why the graphics seem dull. Almost every map is nothing but dirt and steel. What I looked at for my assessment was how good looking the things were that actually exist. I never looked at what was missing

Overall, I like the feel of the game and the detail that was put into it. It slightly more than satisfied me

Bo 1 map drive in you could hear the flies around the dumbsters.  I have toagree maps are small.  All my clases are sub machine guns.  No sniping in this one cause of uavs.  You discussed that earlier.  At least the sentry gun is some what usefull.  Kstreaks i only use is hunter killer best ks n game. Lightening strike and sentry. Will sub sentry for cuav.  No point trying for highest because of crap spawns and lag comp.  Great post

LTSHiNySiDeZ

I don't want to start an argument, but these graphics are terrible compared to many other games out there they would be lucky to get a 4/10 against most games coming out nowadays.  Assault Rifles still absolutely suck against SMG's purely due to the laser sight on SMG's.  They never have to ads and combined with the lag compensation they are absolute destroyers of all.  The lag compensation in itself is enough to make me hate this game, especially when someone is using a freaking MP7 laser, extended mags.

zombie-papa

+1 good post ghamorra!

BanHaMMer

Really great Thread "G" made me stop and finally have a good read on the Forums.

I agree with you about the maps, they are way to small!

Your right again about second chance. Infact, there is very little in your surmation to be disagreed upon.

LaG don't get me started, I have only played 3 hours of BLOPS2. (Work)

Thank you for taking the time to be so comprehensive and constructive in your critique.

Sk

bas_09

Great post "G" I saw on one of your post last week about the SC and BB, I tried that over the weekend And it had my side hurting from laughing so much, I couldn't cound how many double kills i got from that combo, but i agree they should be added to the same catagory. The spawns I personally think should be a lower rateing which i know comes with map size and everything you stated but I couldn't tell you how many times i spawn take 2 steps and dead.