27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2012 10:35 AM by r33k RSS

Should there be a system to punish those who don't play the objective?

JetEye

I'm tired to death of people ignoring the objective just so they can easily kill people who are focused on the objective.  They purposely go into a playlist like domination instead of team deathmatch because of how easy it is to get kills.  They simply do it to pad their k/d.  I'm tired of winning by a landslide against those who are content losing but getting a high k/d ratio.  It makes the game utterly boring and infuriating at the same time.  What's even more infuriating is when after they have lost the game they brag about having wrecked our team.  Did he realize that he LOST?

I crave real competition.  I want to see the k/d crackheads who intentionally lose every game go away.  If only there were some way to punish those who don't play the objective, like there is a punishment for those who quit games.

• Re: Should there be a system to punish those who don't play the objective?

well i dont know about punishing, but the rewards provided for playing as a teamplayer are there, which i truly enjoy, im a fan of the riot sheild always have been, and the fact NOW is even (as in one game) i can be 2K/23D and still get 2800 points, 4th highest in match, and WIN. the fact that even an atrocious k/d doesnt negate or take away the feeling that i DID CONTRIBUTE and not have to tell my team "I REALLY did protect you guys, honest'' i guess the idea of positive reinforcment doesnt work on everyone

I really don't think there will ever be anything that CAN do this sadly. I play Domination almost all day (mostly solo, occasionally with 1 other objective-minded friend) and it's extremely frustrating to have double digit caps/defends and still lose by 5 points because people prefer to headglitch some box and hardscope a doorway or some other useless thing.

If you haven't yet I recommend checking out League Play. I finally got so pissed at a couple public games earlier I logged for a bit and came back a couple hours later to try it out. It might be my connection (or maybe just a lack of players atm), but it does take longer to find a game (solo at least). Getting into my 5 placement matches and finishing them took ~1.5 hours or so, but now that I'm done with those the wait is usually <5 minutes (I really think it's just my internet). The only downside is it's Moshpit and there are several types included I dislike quite a bit.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised by the games. KC/TDM are usually really close (won my 5th placement by 1 tag at the buzzer, won another by a tag I dove for with <1 second hehe). Dom seems to swing pretty wide, but people are focusing on the objective much more than publics (at least the games in Gold/Platinum people are).

xrebelassassinx

This is why your all bad players. You think you have to cap the objective all the time. Well you dont you need a balance of attackers and cappers. Attackers get in, kill the enemies then camp the objective untill the cappers get there. Now stop moaning and get a grip.Before you say im **** im the leader of We Fear No One the clan thats ranked 1st for k/d 1st win/loss and 2nd score per minute.

RoeParcRanger

Except they don't they camp out of the way of the objectives which doesn't help.

I'm fully aware that there is room in objective modes for a slayer or two to cover and make room for the cappers and such, my complaint isn't affected by that though because my teammates are never slayers and slayers are far more useful pushing the enemy back into their spawn - not headglitching a doorway that leads to our spawn flag with little to no traffic. 31-12, 11 caps, 10 defends and only the friend who I was partied with was also positive (neither of us are amazing slayers by any means). The entire rest of my team was negative a huge margin (I think 1 guy was 6-29) with 1-2 caps/defends a piece. Those are the types of games I have every time I play unfortunately because the matchmaking system obviously despises me.

Good job jumping the gun and thinking everyone else is an idiot though. I don't care who you are or what you've done, if you aren't running a party it's extremely hard to carry most of the randoms in Domination. I cope, but it'd be nice if some day people who joined objective gametypes focused on them instead of trying to keep a high KDR and call in randomstreak152356 - that's all we're saying.

RoeParcRanger

I think that there should be more done about punishing quitters, skip to about 10 minute mark and you'll see my team down to 4 while the opposition still at 6.
    I think it should be a half hour ban from all games including public play. I know lag comp is frustrating to the majority but if you leave league you give the enemy a huge advantage.

I have an idea...ONLY reward defensive kills and reward playing the objective with more XP.

Currently capturing a flag is only 200 fugking XP...while camping for 4 kills will get you the same 200...

vims1990

Regardless of what devs do to encourage more objective play and less emphasis on K/D ratio, players will continuously play for their K/D, not to win.

It's already started in BO2. I look at the K/D vs. W/L comparison and it looks like players K/D are high but their W/L is under 0.5 from all the rage quitting and dashboarding.

Connection issues are a factor however I've been in matches where I've gone 13-30 or 5-20 however I stick around and try to win the match even if my K/D takes a hit.

Should they be severely punished from not playing the objective? I wish but no system will change how the community plays the game.

flobot84

I think that the idea of punishing players for playing a game (whatever their style of play) is fundamentally wrong. Everyone has paid their hard earned cash for the game and can do as they please. That said, the efforts Treyarch have made to 'encourage' objective play are a really good idea. They are saying ' you can avoid the objective if you want to, but we won't reward you for it'.

In addition, I feel that the objectives are currently being played by more players than ever before - many games are highly competitive and there doesn't seem to be the same level of camping for kills or trying to achieve scorestreak rewards.

LucasBuck

This is already incorporated in the game! Report for boosting! Playing objective game modes but not playing the objective,just padding K/D is boosting. Hiding and getting kills they didn't earn=getting XP they didn't earn=boosting!

Well the new scorestreak system is biased towards playing the objective so hopefully that gets more people running hard for objectives.

PTFO or GTFO

gallp13

Behaviour is changed faster and this behaviour is more likley to be sustained if target behaviour is rewarded. BO2 design is based on model of behavioural change. So rest easy and put your stick away. All will work out fine.

Mikeyboymike

This really pisses me off. I only play domination as a lone wolf

Coming up against a team that just racks up the kills is pretty boring but at least you end up with the win.

What's much worse is having a bunch of campers on your team and I'm trying to get flags on my own, while the other team have 3 guys doing the same. Waste of time for me.

In domination whilst the odd sniper is handy, a bunch of flag getters will win all day long.

When you get two teams of flag getters, games of domination are awesome.

Sadly, I don't think there is anything you can do about it other than joining a clan and playing against other clans.

avngr9

I feel the same way only my issue is with Kill Confirmed.  I swear, half the people playing this game have never played it and have no idea they are supposed to grab the tags.

When I'm not playing with friends it seems like 90% of KC matches are complete blowouts.  Unfortunately I typically find myself on the losing side of that.  I think Treyarch did a nice job by making objectives worth more yet people still don't "get it."

nickpeck36

I hear ya.  I love Kill Confirmed and it pretty much all I play and I have never understood why people play it that run right by the tags the whole game.  I mean, play TDM if you don't want ot be bothered lol.  I kind of don't mind because I will mop them up which adds more for my killstreak, points and xp but really, play another mode.

I also love the dorks that sit around trying to create a "highlight reel".... Honestly, NO ONE CARES and you will NOT GET RICH posting stupid videos on the forums / youtube.  Just play the game and move on.  Play the objective for the gametype you are in, it really isn't that hard.

mdub

JetEye wrote:

I'm tired to death of people ignoring the objective just so they can easily kill people who are focused on the objective.  They purposely go into a playlist like domination instead of team deathmatch because of how easy it is to get kills.  They simply do it to pad their k/d.  I'm tired of winning by a landslide against those who are content losing but getting a high k/d ratio.  It makes the game utterly boring and infuriating at the same time.  What's even more infuriating is when after they have lost the game they brag about having wrecked our team.  Did he realize that he LOST?

I crave real competition.  I want to see the k/d crackheads who intentionally lose every game go away.  If only there were some way to punish those who don't play the objective, like there is a punishment for those who quit games.

The only way that objective game modes will ever be truly played properly........ k/d should not be tracked or recorded.

There is no disputing this.

r33k

its even worse on CTF when those same players are on your team while you are trying to play the objective. but this has been true since forever. to avoid this, simply play BLOPS 1.