18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 12:59 PM by SRThunder RSS

Awareness working as intended?

I'm not sure if its just me or not, but is awareness working as intended?

I've tried playing a couple games with it on, and I notice nothing different.  Played MULTIPLE games with Dead Silence + Awareness and I couldn't notice an improvement in hearing others' footsteps.  And the other players were not using dead silence.

Even sitting in one spot I couldn't hear foot steps better.

• Re: Awareness working as intended?
    dekka72

it's totally stupid, you should hear there footsteps even without awareness and better with it, but you can't hear them at all with or without it you can hear your own footsteps and your team mates sobv why are the enemy walking around in slippers it's pathetic!  also a total waste of 2 perks in the game..

complete waste of a perk until they patch it,on a realy quiet area of a map you can just about hear footsteps with awareness on but with headset volume up realy realy loud which isnt very pleasent one the ears when you get into the thick of the action

AaronV420

Couldnt agree more i tried every setting on the Turtle Beach Tango's I got for this game and with or without it makes no difference whatsoever. In fact kind of dissapointed as i seem to only be able to hear my own and my team mates footsteps pretty much even with 300 headphones oh well a design development miss

Definately failed with Awareness, no doubt they'll patch it eventually, but hopefully sooner rather than later

me too! got awareness perk so excited about it to try. during the game the enemy is so near for me to be able to hear it . and im dead already. I felt that the radius of AWARENESS is far from SITREP PRO of MW3. ive been using a tritton 720ax.

same with bomb diffuse in objective game types, i can be laying right by the bomb defending and you cant hear a thing then "bomb diffused" ugh so annoying

Awareness doesn't only make footsteps louder, but all actions from the enemy. I used it last night and thought it was just fine the way it is. You can hear their footsteps and even the direction they're in (I use cheap X-12's).

Dead Silence (OT): Dead Silence I found also makes the enemy's footsteps just that much louder because you don't hear yourself. My guess is that some of you are used to the ridiculous post patch SRP from MW3..

- Goose

im only speaking for myself here, but i couldnt use SRP from MW3 coz i couldnt get used to how loud the footsteps were haha. But i've tried a few times now running Awareness and Dead Silence and even if im not moving i cant hear any enemy footsteps even when they are close by. I have Turtle Beach XP500 headset and using same sound settings as i did for MW3 so i dont understand. If you say u can hear things fine, i might try changing settings up a bit n see how i go

slyaudio

I sort of don't understand how these perks are not combined. In MW2 & 3 I felt the louder enemy footsteps was pointless because my own were always overpowering them anyway (though never used the perk post SRP buff as prefered DS).

I have just about always only used DS so that I would not hear my own footsteps so I can hear the enemy. Seems they have removed that ability so I'll probably just stick to the perk that allows you to see equipment unless I find it actually useful. Might change when I unlock it but right now its sounding just like Eavesdrop from CoD4, a nice idea but useless in reality.

I bought X42's (can't use them yet), but the surround sound speakers can't even pick up footsteps. Sitrep worked well, Ninja (Blops1) was even better. Hopefully they fix it fast, but I'm not opposed to running Extreme Conditioning in the mean time.

I Just paid $370 for the turtle beach black ops 2 tangos... Using them in black ops 2 is totally pointless.. I feel ripped off!!! Another pointless thing is dead silence... Ur feet can't be heard anyway... Total waste of $$$

I agree with you. and its very frustrating that you've spent a hard earned money to hear the enemy's footsteps in your headset. It might affect the sales of headset sooner!!! the main reason ive bought TRITTON 720ax because of sitrep pro of MW3. Now in BO2 i can hear my own footsteps.

Since being involved in this thread a few weeks ago i have tried a few settings n now DS + Awareness is working well but its actually more in depth i suppose than sound whoring on MW3 was. In your sound settings having it on "headset' setting was useless (in my opinion), Switched it to Supercrunch n played with volumes a bit and now there is footsteps n battle chatter, in very clear direction to. A big thing i found with footsteps thou, is the terrain makes a HUGE difference. on turbine around the top of the map where its got the windy walkways amongst the rocks can hear them awesomely (sandy ground), on carrier (concrete or hard ground) the footsteps are there but not till the enemy is a lot closer. Whether the enemy is sprinting or walking and maybe even as far as if they r using a heavy loadout seem to make a difference.
      have a play around n see if you hav any luck. For me, DS n awareness isnt something i'd use every map, but on the right ones i love the feeling of security knowing im not gonna be snuck up on. (Its very very rare to find someone using DS in anything but SnD on Blops2 ive found)
      Happy hunting

SitRepPro

Both DS and Awareness are useless.  I guess they made them as such because of how strong SRP was in MW3 and that was only fixed as late as it was because of would be opposition players who rely on DS to get kills.  They could have made it so SRP is not available to use for S&D and fix the perk sooner if that was possible, or make S&D a silent game mode.  I guess they'll fix it 8-9 months later when nearly/all of the DLC has been released like before.

Have you guys changed your audio settings? Supercruch or Headphones work wonders. Awareness works just fine. I hear people breathing, and I have the cheap $60 X12's or whatever.

I have reduced the music and voice volumes, and I use super crunch, but I still find it hard to discern enemy footsteps. I do play Dom, though, where "ambient" noise levels are especially loud.

I've never had any sort of issue with SRP or DS, but I don't play search, the only game mode in which I can imagine an OP Soundwhoring perk could be OP.

For all other game modes, I think footsteps should be lounder, and awareness more effective.

I think its more for people with big fancy headsets.