31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2012 3:56 AM by Suread RSS

PS3 lag compensation is broken!

First off, if you're not experiencing this, I'm sure the game might be fun for you.  Especially consindering that you're getting undeserved kills off from those of us getting F'd.

This game is unplayable for some people.  I've got a pretty good FIOS internet connection and this game is a joke. I'm not a terrible COD player (over 30 days played on MW3) but I'll have many games where I go 5 and 30 on BO2 and when I watch the kill cams I'm aiming 15 feet to the left or right of the other guy. It's laughable how bad this game is. Once in a while (maybe 1 out of 10) I'll get a game where the compensation doesn't seem too bad and I'll get a normal score that relates to my actual skill. It really is unplayable. The thing I'm most mad about is that I spent the $50 on the season pass for DLC when I bought the game at midnight the other night. I know I won't be playing this game much after this week. The other thing that happens is that I'll use an entire 30 or so round SMG clip to kill a guy. Sometimes he'll eventually go down. Other times I run out of ammo and he turns on me and insta-kills me. This game is so broken it should be recalled. For those of you that I see posting and saying that you don't notice a problem all I have to say is: fantastic, that's good for you, and I hope you're having fun. Just keep in mind that there is a whole population of people out here that you're getting undeserved kills off from. Enjoy your new "skills" while you pwn us!

Activision and Treyarch:  you should be embarrassed!!!

• Re: PS3 lag compensation is broken!
    thebigb82

Lag comp is a joke, it shouldn't of been brought into the cod games, bring back COD4's connections

rlbl

Lag Compensation was in COD4

The difference is (well was)... lag was less and connections were (and are maybe getting) better.

People confuse Lag, and the mechanics required to compensate for said lag (not pointing at you directly, but you are are in the area of the directionality of my finger)

If you have not done so already, you may find that playing solo will work out better than playing in a party (even a party of 2):

- as it stands, people are having trouble connecting in parties (well known issues)

- you are more likely to be matched with people who have optimum (at the time) connections to you. If you are in a party (and are not all "local") someone is going to have a so-so time.

Message was edited by: rlbl

Yes it is to many games I die from lag comp. I shoot first yet on the kill cam I'm not shooting at all. How can you make a competitive game when it's completely unfair. I pay good money for my net I shouldn't be punished for it. This is the first and last COD I'll buy.

rlbl

You do not die from lag comp

My 2 cents on the lag comp...  In BO people kept blamming lag comp for problems with the host dropping fps.  I never thought the problem was lag comp, but more of the bouncing connections we are flipping to.  I have never been a big fan of the bar crap, I don't get why they can't just post the actual ping on there...  Dumping the p2p system for a server w/ lag comp would help this or go back to the mw style where you could be the host (provided they don't have fps drops for the host). 

I still think the biggest lag problem we have is the p2p system running on random connections...  Several people will start with 4 bars then a few minutes later you have 2 then 4 then 3...  That is a terrible connection to run a game server on and a huge problem with using a p2p system with a random host, I don't see how any form of lag comp would be able to help much with this setup.  I don't think a coding god could figure out such a system to make it a flawless enviroment...  Flawed by design, but the only option for now, so it's something people will have to accept and move on. 

snooziie

you are a newbie with slow internet

mbp93

Bump

ChestSplittah

Hell, MW3? I wouldnt even use that as an reference for being good at CoD! Yes there are some network issues. Hopefully, they get them addressed<---(look into and make proper adjustments)  and stay on top of the matchmaking and network enhancements.

r_flinchy

For anyone saying this is caused by playing in a party ... I haven't played in a party since Black Ops 1. I always play solo, and whilst I noticed a slight delay in MW3, it wasn't anything drastically terrible, but this ... a 2 second lay/delay behind all other players (even those on my own team) is F#'ed up!

Aecetym

I was hoping to see no more BS lag connections from player in my lobby but they still are there. The difference between u a 4 bar player and an 3 bar enemy player is ur enemy is eating ur bullets, full mags of them, and they only need 2-3 random bullets flying in all directions. I rather play against 1 bar enemies knowing they lag then having to play against 3 bars knowing u can't beat them in a real gunfite.

I play with ppl not even farder away then 30 km from me, most ppl like the next town 5 km from ours. We make a full team al with fantastic internet speed and still we get enemies with poverty infected charety trailerpark connections, why are they even allowed to get online instat of just blocking them from getting on the MP.

IRISH_BULL

From my perspective, it appears to have gotten worse.  I didn't have an issue on the night of the 13th.  But now it is horrible. 

bodezafa

I agree. On the 13th I was loving this game.. there was lag here and there but not like it is now.

akbiker

im sick of people haveing food stamp internet myself. i will me shooting a guy and he has time to lay down get back up make a grilled cheeze sandwich and still get me with 2 bullets only happens everyone once in a while but never happend on mw3 or the old black ops. my gess is that it has allot to do with the servers not bing up to snuff but just a guess.

Some people have no choice but to have "food stamp" internet as you call it, have a little respect. Not every place on earth has top of the line internet speeds you know.

Not from cheaping out either, its just not available in all areas.

Myself and two other guys were in a party together and we started a game on Hijacked (boat) before this game we were doing great with 5 straight TDM wins.  So we started the match and after my second death I said over the mic we are in trouble and we aren't going to win because the delay was so bad from my viewing and the kill cam.  And so we plugged on taking the loss on the chin.  After the beating Hijacked was voted again, however a couple of people have left the lobby and a couple more came in.  I had a bad feeling again, but we went ahead and played the nearly same enemies on the other team.  After my second kill I knew the host was one of the people who had left and a new host was now in charge.  We dominated and I went something like 16-9 the second game compared to my 4-12 the first game.  I'm about a 1.50 k/d.  I have come to know that lag exists from the style of network COD games run however I have never experienced to be this extreme as far as one end of the scale to the other,  oddly enough I havent seen this much inconstincy since black ops 1, coincidence?  I think not.

rlbl

really? did you not play MW3?

JASEFC1878

I agree - some games you shoot people and you kill them as you would expect and then some games you empty a magazine into them with a SMG and they raise their gun and shoot you. Kill Cam shows no red on their screen at all and yet I've clearly shot first and with enough firepower to drop him.

I've even come up behind people and started shooting from like 10 ft away and they turn round and shoot me..

Really frustrating. I'm not the best player in the world, however, kills I would have easily made in MW3 are just not being counted in BO2...

Please, please fix this as you have some very very frustrated customers who loyally follow your games...

r_flinchy

I've just watched some videos on Youtube with other people 'suffering' from lag compensation. I swear if their's was bad, my lag compensation has been to hell twice and mutated into the crap I have to try and call multiplayer. I really hope this is address. I thought MW3 was bad, but this is simply shocking!

LTSHiNySiDeZ

Yea I mean it is so messed up on this game it's ridiculous.  I have been gone from a 3.4k/d when it first came out to barely holding a 2k/d.  Since they did the new hotfix the other day I haven't had one game over a 1 so far.  They messed something up even worse with the last hotfix.  I mean in a days time of playing with the new hotfix I went from a 2.05k/d down to a 1.99k/d that is how bad it is for me right now.  Watching killcams and trying to kill people is such a joke now.  The easiest kill I had was shooting a sniper directly in the back of his head with 10 bullets from an M8A1.  And the bad part is he still had enough time to switch from sniper to pistol and shoot me 2x before he died when I snuck up behind him with a suppressor on my gun.

There needs to be a "no host" option in the game and then if everyone chooses it and the game grinds to a halt they might finally do something. (or everyone force a moderate or strict NAT to avoid host)

Black Ops 2 is every bit as bad as MW3 was sadly, the devs should be embarrassed that the netcode is so inferior to that used in World At War, never really had a problem with that weather i was host or not.

(No problems with MW or MW2 either but they were IW)

It is really frustrating losing gun fights you know you should have won! My bullets always arrive maybe a quarter of a second later than they should. It is most obvious when using the shotgun, BANG, wait 1/4 of a second then the shot actually arrives. It is the same with all weapons, there is really no point in going 1v1 with an automatic weapon anymore since Im having such a disadvantage. From time to time I get into a game, where this is not the case, but it is very rare. I have a 50-100 download and a 10 upload speed.

Dont know if this is because of lag compensation or poor hit detection, all I know is that it is taking away all of the fun from the game.

TLDR: my bullets arrive later than they should.