19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 12:15 PM by robbierocket RSS

True Skill Matchmaking

Kingfury

A topic that I've been wondering about, in Black Ops 2, will I be put with people at my skill level, or will I end up with a bunch of 3.00 K/D 10th prestiges. Did Treyarch follow through on what they said? Last I heard of it was months ago.

• Re: True Skill Matchmaking

Leauge play is the game mode where you are matched up with your certaint skill level.

extremefight49

League Play will place you in lobbies with players of similar skill levels. You also have the option to join lobbies with random players of any skill level.

- TopFighter

ghamorra

Skill is impossible to calculate in Call of Duty due to the amount of stat boosting and lag

robbierocket

How is skill determined?

Points per game?

(oh dear, that's so off in TDM)

Win-Loss ratio?

(much better, but still can lead to anomalies)

Another statistic (hidden or otherwise)?

A combination of stats or formula using various data?

Anyone?

SnipinDB

I would do it based on SPM and similar W/L ratios. For tdm k/d too.

It would be nice playing teams of people who can get decent scores and where it's really a toss-up who wins the game.

robbierocket

I think you misunderstood my question. I'm a bit of a statistics person, so I have some ideas about a way of calculating "skill level" to match players so that their experience is balanced and teams will regularly be challenged at a healthy level.

SPM (or components of that statistic), would give some information but is not conclusive.

Win/Loss again, is excellent providing you can tally ALL games entered, otherwise no.

K/D is nothing on its own, especially not for TDM. See below.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413361792#413361792

My question was...

HOW WILL BOII WORK OUT SKILL LEVEL?

rlbl

It will be interesting on how they are matched.

One thing I can say (in principal is):

If it works as it should (however it is achieved), a lot of people are going to see their high K/Ds go bye-bye. In theory, if you are matched with people at your skill level, your (per skilled/tiered  game) K/D should average out to 1.

Why?

- Because if you are matched in a tier and you end up doing poorly (whatever is defined as poor) you should drop a tier until you are more or less average

- If you do well, you should move up.

(Think of a multi-tiered softball league)

The best of the best should come out on top, and the worst of the worst should drop to the bottom.  But the average players in each tier *should* be that: Average.

This is just an opinion and no way based on fact (as we do not know how the game is going to behave, and what stats will be used - and how they will be used - to define your skill). But if we see someone running around with a 2+ K/D (or equivalent perceived superior skill) in any tier but the top tier, something is wrong with the system.

Opinions?

(2+ K/D is not meant to be literal... I am making an analogy to a superior player and not the stat number itself)

Izjar11

RL good post I have some different views on this so called "skill matchmaking"

If it works as it should (however it is achieved), a lot of people are going to see their high K/Ds go bye-bye. In theory, if you are matched with people at your skill level, your (per skilled/tiered  game) K/D should average out to 1.

This (to me) isn't true, as we all know our KD's really isn't a reflection of how well we play the the game, I have written many times about how certain high KD players 2.0+ tend to leave a match because they were getting stomped and going super negative. Also putting high KD players together in a match doesn't mean that the match will be a balanced fight (it should) but that is never the case.

(2+ K/D is not meant to be literal... I am making an analogy to a superior player and not the stat number itself)

yup, I can't imagine how this game or any game can match similar skills to many variables to work on. Its will be interesting once the game is out and then we will have even more to talk about.

rlbl

Izjar11 wrote:

RL good post I have some different views on this so called "skill matchmaking"

This (to me) isn't true, as we all know our KD's really isn't a reflection of how well we play the the game, I have written many times about how certain high KD players 2.0+ tend to leave a match because they were getting stomped and going super negative. Also putting high KD players together in a match doesn't mean that the match will be a balanced fight (it should) but that is never the case.

I agree 100% in principal, so let me qualify that part of the post:

To the people who have legit high KDs, I can see them not being so high because they will now be matched (in league play) with people of similar abilities and will no longer just be "stomping scrubs" (poor expression).

I do know of some truly skilled people who may even be good enough to make it to the top tier, and who knows... maybe even come out on top with above average stats (WL, KD, SPM, etc...)  but those people are few and far in between.

I think league play has the potential to humble some people.

Thanks for the clarification Izzy.

Izjar11

To the people who have legit high KDs, I can see them not being so high because they will now be matched (in league play) with people of similar abilities and will no longer just be "stomping scrubs" (poor expression).

I have not looked into this league play option (so I need to) but that sounds about right. RL I also have written many times that I prefer a a good ol' fight than a new player stomping (regardless of KD) the game is best served when we are challenged and have to fight to win for the match and earn a positive KD.

I'm just skeptical on how BO2 will  manage this, but as all things lets hope for the best.

wridtrvlr

rlbl wrote:

I think league play has the potential to humble some people.

This, my friend, is so very true. 

robbierocket

But you're basing the skill match on K/D. In that case, yes it will balance but not otherwise.

Whatever you base it on will be balanced.

If you base skill on W/L then W/L will be balanced (as you have explained).

Same with SPM, everyone will be with equals in that field.

The problem is that in TDM SPM has nothing to do with anything. K/D has nothing to do with anything in most game types.

RAMBONER

I have a feeling that this lobby or feature will fade away fairly quickly to the point where very few people are in there (barebones anyone?).  If that happens matchmaking becomes an issue and the lobby or mode becomes even less desireable.

People with high scores, be it SPM, KD, W/l wont really want to be averaged out by playing equal competition.  They enjoy being on top most matches and "slaughtering the lambs"  IMO they will be much more likely to jump in the normal matchmaking and try for their high streaks. 

On the same token most players who are avg. (myself) would rather play against a sort of "mosh pit" of skill levels and so I most likely will not use it much.  Plus you completely throw parties out of the equation when talking about "league" play since parties consist of different skill levels.

All my opinion of course but I dont see it as being used much after the game has been out awhile.