12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2012 2:34 PM by banned-again RSS

Knife melee problem

razorsback

Is there a problem with the melee programming? Recently moved over from Xbox360 to Ps3 and have noticed on numourous occasions that when I attempt to shoot whilst aiming down barrel that my character tries to melee at the other player....or is it a problem with the auto melee routine that is used when another player is to close to shoot...An example. Playing domination on mission, I would spawn where C flag would be, another player would spawn at A flag and run to behind the small buildings, I take aim, press fire and the game tries to melee the player on the opposite side of the map. I thought it may be my controller or me accidentally mashing the right joystick, but trying another controller an button layout so I could not "accidentally" touch the melee button, still give the same result. This is really annoying especially in close quarter maps when all hell is breaking loose, to have the system trying to auto stab the opposing them....

• Re: Knife melee problem

New account to troll?

All I know is I don't knife by mistake lol

I used to and panick knife with normal button layout

With tactical it dosnt happen now

razorsback

That's the grievance..I make damn sure I go nowhere near the melee button but the game still ties to melee them either when I'm hard scoping or run and gunning....it's just so damned annoying..setting up a good kill only to lose out because the system thinks you want to stab them from the other side of the map.

This would be the first time we hear about this type of issue. What we can do is have this concern forwarded to the appropriate parties for review. If you can provide any sort of video of this happening to you, that would be great. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.

http://support.activision.com

Okay after recording my action and viewing all theatres that this has happened on, i have found that this action is caused mostly by lag. When the enemy has killed me but my client side has not registered me dead yet i am unable to do anything towards this enemy except melee until my client side has updated me with "you are dead", sometimes this can be annoying when you have upto 2 secs of game lag. Also it happens more often when there are Split screen players in the same lobby on poor connections.

s7even_uk

Or your using a dodgy pad, with auto stab turned on ......

3 joypads and no auto stab...and only happens on PSN, if i switch back to xbox using same ISP etc, just not using PS3 and PS3 version of the game, the problem doesn't happen. i have checked over 12 hours of theatre recordings on Xbox account and it has never happened. I only Melee when i push to Melee....

I do not want to be insulting or anything, but have you considered that maybe you are getting really "into" the game and pressing the melee by gripping the controller too firmly when you go to shoot?  The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you have faulty controllers, but three in a row seems a tad bit ridiculous.  I have never heard of this thing being caused by lag, have you ever successfully killed another opponent by this "lag-knife", because if you can successfully kill another player with this issue, then I do not think it is a "post-death" lag issue.

Its not really a firefight type of problem as i several styles of play, run and gun or camping when i am hard scope sniping. It is purely visible as a client side problem of having been killed but my client not yet updating. I can kill other players but not the player who has killed me...until i have died after the lag catchup. Same as i can be killed for game winning killcam but continue to fight for upto 5 secs killing several opponents, before the final game over reaches me with the appropiate killcam...of all the other call of dutys i own and have prestiged and played in, this seems to be the only version i have experienced this issue in. I have managed to adapt my style of gameplay to accomadate this issue , so at least it is not as annoying as it was....but the laagier the connection, the more often the issue persists.

A similair problem on an older thread put down to button sensitivity.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/105374123#105374123

except i have changed my melee button layout so i cannot accidently push it in panic or otherwise...

vileself

I am on PS3 and have this issue as well. I have posted a thread about it a while back  and people generally think that Im accidentally pressing the melee button. I am positive this is not the case. I have tested out my melee button on all of my controllers and they all require a firm press whenever I actually want to knife someone. I've tried slightly tapping it or grazing it with my thumb to see if I could get a knife out of it but nope. I must give the button a solid press in order to swing my knife.

My problem seems to arise more so with shotguns and occasionally sniper rifles. Weapons with OHK capabilities essentially (it does happen with other weapons too though just far less frequently). I've only noticed it happen while Im ADS as well. Essentially what happens is I aim then as Im trying to shoot my avatar swings his knife instead, which cancels out the fire button I just pressed and Im forced to die by incoming bullets while Im swinging my knife.

There are rare instances where this happens and my enemy is within knife range so I actually get a cheap kill from it, but most of the time the enemies are completely out of knife range and in the cases of using a sniper rifle they are often accross the map. I dont recall having this issue in other CoDs.

I wish it could be fixed, then I could actually have fun with shotguns with my KDR goin down the drain.

banned-again

i have the same problem at times but ive put it down to being heavy handed