41 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2012 6:09 PM by cobain87 RSS

Knife Balancing Idea?

d8noped8b

Just my two cents on how the knife should work. You all know how there are two knife animations right? (not including the Tac-knife which I'll bring up as well) Why not make use of them?

-Pressing the knife button should perform the usual knife swipe. Instead of being an insta-kill it only does 75 or so damage, somewhere along the lines of requiring two swipes to kill someone with full health but still outclassing the Riot-Shield in terms of damage dealt*. There is no lunge.

*To elaborate on that, if someone took damage from some other source (falling, surviving a shot, etc.) but still be able to survive a single bash from a shield, a quick knife would take care of them.

-Holding the knife button for about a second or so should perform the ever so rare (for me anyways) stab. This would act as the knife does now (OHK, lunge) aside from being much slower to perform making it less of a last-resort/OH GOD HE POPPED UP RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME weapon. It would be slower in the sense that the weapon would be dropped (like when you charge a grenade) and the stab would be performed.

-Knives to the back, swipe or stab, are always a OHK to retain the steath factor as intended (I think).

-The tactical-knife for handguns would act as it does now, keeping it's OHK, lunge and quickness. It would be balanced as you'd only have the pistol to shoot others with.

-Akimbo'd weapons get a mix of the two knife types. While equipped, the knife button cannot be held to perform the OHK stab but it will still drop the weapons and perform the swipe.

If knifing is tweaked to behave as it is stated above (or something similar to it) I personally believe it would better promote the "gun on gun" action I'm almost sure that you (the developers of MW3) were talking about.

I will also say that I'm making this post as I am somewhat annoyed by suddenly dying when I look at someone wrong while they pass in front of me.

Feel free to criticize how you see fit, just try to keep it civil.

Message was edited by: d8noped8b Reason: Lol coloured text

• Re: Knife Balancing Idea?
    Rednecksniper39

The knife is OP now and unbalanced? Who knew?

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

The knife is OP now and unbalanced? Who knew?

What do you mean "now"? It's always been.

Rednecksniper39

not really if they are close enough to knife you then you were close enought to knife them

Rednecksniper39 wrote:

not really if they are close enough to knife you then you were close enought to knife them

I'm sorry. My first reaction is to actually shoot the guy since I have a gun since this is a FPS.......

Rednecksniper39

Oh well. you should have knifed him since he was close enough. get used to it because there are about .5% of the people that play that complain about the knife

d8noped8b

davidlsoffermanv2 wrote:

My first reaction is to actually shoot the guy since I have a gun since this is a FPS.......

This is another reason I made this topic. I find it strange a how a gun in a FPS can be made utterly useless in CQC with the swipe of a knife.

KTPhoenix

it may be an FPS, but it is also a WAR game. and they do have knives in war. so by following your logic, that would mean that we shouldnt have perks, equipment, grenades, etc. and that the only thing we should have in the game is guns. see where i am going with this?

now if this were MW2, then i would say that your hatred of the knife is somewhat understandable given the fact that Commando and Marathon were in that game. however, they dummied down A LOT of those things in this game. these maps are CQC maps, so it is only natural for someone to feel the need to knife considering how closely you play with each other on the maps.

dont blame the knife. its more of the map layout and how IW designed the game to be more CQC based.

deucedouglas

I don't really have an issue with the knife with the exception of getting knifed through bullets. It may be a bit too prominent just because I know on Black Ops it was like the third or fourth most killed by weapon. I would say it's fine though the lunge is a little ridiculous at times and getting knifed through bullets is annoying but it's been a constant over the years and there are far greater issues they need to fix.

2 hit kill in the front and 1 in the back.

So how does determining side and back for stealth kills work when there is lag?  On your screen you knifed someone from the side or the back but in reality you were really in front.  Just another thing for people to complain about.

deucedouglas

I think something like just changing knifing to like the X button wouldn't be a bad move. It would definitely cut down on the amount of times I knife the air when trying to aim down my sights lol

TehSpeagles

Take away the crazy aim assist on the knife and it would be perfect.  Make the player have to swipe and aim rather than swipe and be spun completely around and sucked into the enemy.

Waaaaaa waaaaa waaaaa!!! I use tactical and I feel disadvantaged because I like to drop shot so the knife is harder for me! Waaaaaa waaaaa waaaaa! I got killed by something that is in damn near every FPS and more then likely is a ohk in those games too but I am going to try to cry like everyone else and maybe the devs will get tired of people crying and change it so now everyone will drop shot like me. I want everyone in the game to play my way because I play the best way and then any and all weapons that kill me I will cry to have them nerfed! When they nerf everything then lag is sooooo bad every game that I can not play the game but I will cry and continue to play just because I now have an excuse to suck. Then on top of that I want everyone that made the game fired and replaced by robotic penguins just for my entertainment. And when that is said and done me and my MLG class consisting of the akimbo fmgs will rule cod and then maybe I will finally get a job and move out my moms basement.

This is actually not a rant on my part btw i just pretty much summed up a good portion of the community. I seriously and starting to think some of these nerf threads have got be a joke because everything in the game has been cried about being OP including the riot shield. Seriously there are alot of other games out and if this game is not fun because you die in it I suggest picking up a Legos game.

nuttin2say

Too bad smell can't travel over the internet. I took a sh*t that was off balance and OP, too.

bigjon00

the knife aint overpowered it dose what its suppose to do kill you!!, why dose everyone make an excuse up for everything in this game , mabey in the next cod they will add amrmour in the game then the knife wouldn't be a OHK, the knife aint a big problem in this game either not alot of people are smart enough to knife when up close instead unload a whole clip into some just to get knife and then they rage WTF!!!!, soo yeah its perfect.

All they have to do to balance the knife is look at their competition. 

Battlefield did this right.  If you are in front of the person you are going to knife, or on the front side, it takes 2 knife swipes to kill them.  If you approach them from the back, its a 1 knife kill. 

That way, a quicker twitch doesn't beat 3 bullets to the chest.....

Knifing is so inconsistant in this game its ridiculous. Ive had wayyy too many times where im literally standing directly behind someone who is standing still, go for the knife and it misses. Also, way 2 many scrubs who get lucky ass panic knife kills.

nuttin2say

RepleteOrphan06 wrote:

Knifing is so inconsistant in this game its ridiculous. Ive had wayyy too many times where im literally standing directly behind someone who is standing still, go for the knife and it misses. Also, way 2 many scrubs who get lucky ass panic knife kills.

This is why you suck at the game. It never occurs to you that people plan on using the knife in situations that call for a split second reaction.

I hated the knife when I first started playing COD4. I hated the drop shot and the Halo jump (well, I still hate the Halo jump) ... but now I incorporate ALL of those things when I see the situation calls for it.

If all of you crybabies would stop looking for reasons to change aspects of the game and instead start looking for ways to incorporate them into what you do in the game, you'll have a lot more fun. Not only that, but you'll also learn how to overcome all the things that get on your nerves.

There is nothing more fun a ROFL moment when you knife a guy from behind three or four times in a single match after he's knifed you twice. Then knife him again in three more matches???

THAT is hilarious. You get a funny rant between matches in the lobbies followed up finally with a rage quit.

Just make the knife work like this.  First you have to take out the knife, then you can cut with it.  Perhaps a press of the LS equips the knife and a press of the RS cuts.  It would delay it enough to be able to react against it.

What if they made it that a bullet delays ur knife? Knife would still be 1 hit kill cause its for practical purposes not logical.

jewz

how about its a two or three hit like bf3 and a one hit kill from behind with an animation. You arent going to magically pull out your knife and instantly kill someone while they are shooting at you. Example. The barret is a .50 cal round that can take out light armoured vehicles fairly easily not to mention shoot to 1000yds easily.  You shoot someone in the leg with that they dont die when realisitically there would be no leg left. You hit someone with a throwing knife in the foot they die instantly. Also if im shooting you, a knife shouldnt be able to kill me. Its sad that kife is OHK no matter what

Removed a post that was simply calling people names. Please keep the discussion civil as the OP has wisely asked that you do

They should take knife out and have a push instead?

A push is more realistic,push em on the floor and empty a mag into them.

Helltoy

im so in favor of this... a hit with your weapon that pushes and moves the aim of the player istead of an instant kill.

and if you catch the player from behind then a knife instant kill.

I think they should just make the knife an equipable weapon.  you can still knife while holding some other weapon, but not nearly as fast as you could if you had a knife equipped.  and make it like you could dual weild knives, and like throw either one, like ballistic knives almost....just my opinion, from an aspiring knife only guy

Risk26

I don't have a problem with the knife being a OHK from behind, at all.  I do have a problem with knifing through bullets.

IE, me, using a MK 46, oh, a dude, 5 feet away!  Bam, hit, bam, hit, oh, I got knifed.  Excellent.

You could jsut make knifing 75 damage and have +30% recovery so you can get a second swipe off quick, but you can't knife someone through bullets while you're on 5 health unless they've taken damage first: fair. 1 hit kill to the back, the knife remains a good last defence choice, but it's not a instakill death button that you use as soon as you go "Oh **** that's an enemy"

They're fixing it in Black Ops 2.

As far as I know, knifing will be a 2-hit kill, unless you want to equip the Bladesman perk, which will allow you to kill with one.

trialstardragon

Really? This might just be a reason to give BO2 a try then... finally less of a chance to be panic knifed while shooting someone. I wonder how many of the knifers this will piss off and will get complaints about in BO2 because of how it does that.

I dunno. Here's a list of perks that I keep seeing floating around. Obviously nothing is 100% confirmed, it's just a leak that might end up being correct/partially correct.

http://www.blackopsii.com/bo2/perks-list/

I'm also hearing custom classes will no longer be slot-based. Instead, you'll have a pool of points that you can spend on equipment, weapons, and perks. So if you wanted to forego buying a primary, you could use those points toward more equipment, or a 4th perk for instance.

Guess we'll just have to see.

Ok first off I was making this game I would have made the riot shield have the perk of being imprevious to stabbing (riot squads wear stab vests which more or less negate knifing) just my two cents on the bullcrap that is knife vs riot shield the damn thing ghosts through the shield about 75% of the time.

I think the knife should be equipment meaning you have to make a concious decision to use it rather than relying on a panic reaction I think this would be the fairest way as it means that cod players like only use me blade still have a chance.

trialstardragon

I like your idea's they are pretty good. I have always felt the knife should never be a ohk from the front unless under certain situations like you said(previously damaged). But that it should keep the ohk from the back.