44 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2012 11:48 PM by asasa RSS

Is the M16 the worst gun in the game?

I hate to say it cause I actually enjoy using it and im currently trying to get the gold for it but it just seems like this gun has absolutely no advantage over any other assault rifle for a burst weapon it has a little too much recoil and the bullets seem to take forever to hit an enemy, Rapid fire is a must for this weapon cause I've even lost firefights from a distance to opponents using smg's due to it's slow firerate, hell my KD with the M16 is a 1.13 which is also the same as my KD with the PM-9 which is considered by many to be the actual worst gun in game.

• Re: Is the M16 the worst gun in the game?

There are three crap tier weapons.  3rd worst is the pm9.  2nd is the m16.  And the worst weapon statisticly in mw3 is the aa12.

Yeah the AA-12 is pretty atrocious in this game too.

All weapons are balanced well. AA-12 is unbeatable at close range as well as the PM-9. Keeping them to these ranges is the challenge.

The M16 has more damage than the type at range and also has longer before its dropoff, so it's a much better precise takedown weapon. I prefer stalker on it to strafe while shooting. 3 round burst conserves ammo so instead of sleight of hand or scavenger I can use something like recon.

I got it gold and actually went positive a lot doing it.

Wouldn't the Pecheneg technically be the worst? It's outclassed by the L86 in every regard: L86 has less recoil, high RoF, and a faster reload. Pecheneg used to have the advantage that it had more range before the damage drop but now LMG's don't even have a damage drop so it doesn't matter.

AA12 unbeatable within its range? LOL. Yes I agree thats how it should be like, but thats certainly not the case. A rapid fire pp90 kills faster then the AA12 at all ranges except knife range. The PM9 isn't a horrible weapon but its just a worse version of the pp90. The M16 advantages over the type 95 just don't measure up against its disadvantages.

Sometimes I wonder if some people on this forum just assume how a weapon functions or look at the in-game stats which are fake then go around saying this weapon is that and such. Please have actual experience with the weapon and base your comments off that instead of basing it off assumptions like I clearly see some people doing.

that6uy420

the m16 may have more dmg at range but it sure as hell doesn't have a tight spread for a 3 rd burst...  the type will win at all times because it has such a tight spread on the bullets.  The m16 in this game is absolutely horrid.

trialstardragon

The pm-9 terrible? By no means. It can do just as well as the mp-7 in the right hands. The m16 is not bad, just has a very limited niche in how to use it. The aa-12 is far from bad, just can not be spammed as easy as people want to do with out running out of ammo so they have to use scavenger and do not want too.

The pm9 is terrible compared to every other smg.  It almost impossible to ads with it because of its absolutely atrocius recoil.  Its hipfire capabilities are okay but the pp90 is strictly better at hipfire anyway.  I have a pm9 moab simply beacuse I am used to using the pump shotguns which require significantly more accuracy and map navigation skills.

I bet you could do just as well with it...but you don't.  Your stats with the mp7 are much higher than the pm9.  That and you only have 100 kills with the pm9.  The aa12 is terrible.  It has absolutely no damage output after its damage dropoff which is freakin tiny.  Outside of damn near knife range pretty much every other primary in the game sports a better time to kill.  The pp90 hipfired only for examaple will outshoot the aa12 in almost every inch of the aa12's range.  You need to spam the aa12 to get kills beacuse the damage is so terrible.

trialstardragon

If you can not control the recoil then you are doing something wrong when using that weapon. It is very easy to control the recoil on it. Instead of trying spray the entire clip you fire in bursts and it is very accurate even at long ranges. So no it is not worse than any other smg in the game. Just people seem to never learn how to use it correctly. For those that can it is just as good as the mp-7 at killing.

It seems like those that complain about it expect it to be easy to use and when it actually requires a bit of skill to control they cry about it being terrible.

The aa-12 will kill in two shots at its range every time even in core. its is not meant as a long range shotgun because of how fast it can be fired. It is meant for very short ranges. You need to stop thinking that every shotgun has to work the same as every other shotgun in range and damage and time to kill. They are not meant to be the same or even close to each other at all.

My scores with the pm9 are lower beacuse I have not used it as much as the mp-7 which is my troll gun when I want to annoy shotgun players or 95 players that try to hip fire it at close range. Not beause I can not use it but because It is used less often and not because it does worse. I prefer the look and feel of the mp-7 over the pm-9 and as I stated before look and fee have a big difference in what guns I use, not just how they peform or how easy they are to use.

We have measured the pm9's fire rate where its senter speed starts to get the recoil to recenter to the point where it was as accurate enough to place consecutive shots on a man sized taret at 20 meters.  That fire rate was approx. 717 rpm (meaused with a modded controller).  At 20 meters all other smgs except the mp5 with rapidfire were able to go full auto and deliver a lethal amount of shots on target before the recoil sent the shots off target.  The pm9 even when burst fired is painfully outclassed in accuracy and time to kill by almost every other automatic weapon in game.  So no burst firing is not the way to use the pm9 especially considering that the mp7 can go fullauto at any range with percision fire at 895 rpm.  The best way to use the pm9 is to get as close as possible and hipfire the crap out of people with rapid fire and emags+steady aim.  The only thing is that the pp90 is strictly better at doing this.

"The aa-12 will kill in two shots at its range every time even in core."

No it doesn't.

The pm9 is extremely outclassed by the other smgs.  If it were anywhere near a good smg then it would have a somewhat more average k/d like the other smgs do on other people's elite profiles.

atiredoldguy

m16/silencer/acog or thermal ............. for sniping its  better than the mk14, t95 and most of the sniper rifles

"for sniping it's better than most of the sniper rifles"

what?

atiredoldguy wrote:

m16/silencer/acog or thermal ............. for sniping its  better than the mk14, t95 and most of the sniper rifles

yeah I dont understand this belief at all. Especially with a silencer.

atiredoldguy

Try it.

Comapre it to any SILENCED sniper rifle other than the barret.

It kills in the same number of pulls of the trigger at range, less at medium range, and has less recoil than any of them.  .... and I'm not sure on this, but comparably more ammo. ..... at least I always get more kills with it before running out than with the sniper rifles.

Now, I'm talking about sniping ........ not qsing.

MaxKirgan

atiredoldguy wrote:

In Black Ops, M16 w/ silencer + ACOG was my favorite setup in Hardcore. It was better than any of the sniper rifles. It was versatile enough that you could "snipe" with it or run and gun in a pinch if you needed to.

If we were talking about that game, I would agree with you. In this game, absolutley not. In this game, the M16 is a ghost of it's former self. It kicks way too much when there should be virtually no recoil at all, and the fire rate is way too slow. If the gun behaved like it's predecessors than it might start edging out the mk4, type 95 and snipers in cqc sniping applications. However in it's current state, it's one of the worst guns in the game. I still use it quite a lot, but any situation where I need something I can absolutely rely on(just about any other AR which is sad) I switch to something else.

atiredoldguy

I used it a lot in hc in blops, and a little in core, but I've only been playing core mode in mw3 and think its every bit as good as I remember it in core blops..

I remember reading somewhere that either the scope or silencer reduces the recoil.

But I can usually kill in 2 bursts with the m16, it usually takes 3 shots with a silenced sniper rifle to get 2 hits, the least a silenced sniper rifle will kill in ( except the barrett ).

The mk14 usually takes me 3 hits (silenced) to kill, the t95 at long range sometimes takes up 5 bursts (silenced ) where the most the m16 ever takes is 3 ......

It was either the second or third weapon I got 1000 kills with.

Of course I think every weapon is different in each persons hands. I have always hated, and/or had trouble using the weapons most people brag about. The t95, the famas, type100 ( I think that was the one in waw)  .............. the ump in mw2 was about the only popular weapon that I've liked.

that6uy420

yes, black ops.. this gun with the acog/silencer was a beast....  it's not that way in the IW game...

supervelous

M16 is the ONLY gun in the SMG & AR categories I REFUSE to use.  It is easily the worst AR and it's no even fun to use - I hit people with a burst close to midrange WITHOUT killing them, which means most of the time you are DEAD, since they likely have a full auto or Type 95.

the PM9 is way better, it's a great gun if you use it similar to a shotgun style, in CQC with Steady Aim hipfiring with rapid fire you tear through people.

Gun is awful, I'm just glad I finally got it to gold after 3 days yesterday.  Prob the most annoying gun I've ever used.

I actually had fun getting the pm9 gold, M16 is a dam headache.

DaCleric

I think the G18 is the most horrible gun in the game... but that's just me

Carnage_1168

Not really, since campers use it all the time. It's really a tough question to answer though

I have a question regarding rapid fire does it decrease the time between shots or not? and if so would you say rapid fire is a must for this gun?

I would have to say that the cm901 is worst primary. Outclassed by the ACR in basically every way. Ak47 trumps it too. No strengths, and a ton of weaknesses. Remember, this is my opinion.

trialstardragon

It it has a small niche where it can be used well just like the m16. Not really a bad weapon just limited in how it can be used and where and when. Until you figure out that spot and try to only use it in that range which can be hard on some maps than yeah the gun can be bad to use for some people.

Mojammer

The best way (it's not a perfect way) to rank a gun is to go to your stats page, and look at your KD with each gun.  Of all of the guns that I've used for more than 200 kills (a good baseline number IMO) the MP5 is the worst, the MG36 is next, with the FAD coming soon after that.

I haven't used the M16, the PM9 or the AA12 though, so I can't vouch for those.  My guess is that they would be at the bottom of most people's lists KD wise.

JaNGo

Personally I love the M16. I have almost 3000 kills with it and in my opinion the best setup is to have the attachments prof.--> holo/r-dot w/rapid fire. Then the best perk setup would be to have Seight of Hand/Quickdraw or Assasin/and Stalker or Marksman depending on the map structure.

If I had to use only one gun in MW3 it would be the M16A4. For me it's the most fun and rewarding gun to use in this game. I don't understand how most people label this gun the worst. Seriously. Just because you aren't good with the M16A4 doesn't mean it's a terrible gun. To be honest, I'm glad people think it's terrible; makes me look good when I use it.

ValleyYeti

m16 isn't terrible, just not up to par with some others in the same class.

if you think that is bad, try to level the AA-12.  past 1 foot it shoots marshmallows.

enjoy!

I had fun when I was using it. I was having fun with the F2000 in MW2, even winning free for alls with scavenger lightweight and ninja and only hipfiring. Swap the damage profiles with the type 95 and the M16 becomes a balanced gun, the Type 95 becomes a good long ranged Assault rifle with it's accuracy, and the M16 is the one burst machine we know and love from previous CODs.

Finally got the gold for it not exactly a fun experience I definitely think a good nickname for this gun would be the "assist gun" due to an ally usually having to have to finish off an enemy because the damn 3 round burst usually never hits fully on a moving target.

ajz8922 wrote:

I hate to say it cause I actually enjoy using it and im currently trying to get the gold for it but it just seems like this gun has absolutely no advantage over any other assault rifle for a burst weapon it has a little too much recoil and the bullets seem to take forever to hit an enemy, Rapid fire is a must for this weapon cause I've even lost firefights from a distance to opponents using smg's due to it's slow firerate, hell my KD with the M16 is a 1.13 which is also the same as my KD with the PM-9 which is considered by many to be the actual worst gun in game.

I have it at gold and my M16 kd is higher than that.

litegecko2

the m16 sucks on recoil and to be honest the m16 isnt suppose to kick very much if at all cuz its whole firing mechanism is built to use the stock of the weapon so it should have the least recoil of all weapon

I'd say that award goes to the M60 w/out a RDS.

But outside of that, when you consider the worst overall gun... yeah, the M16 is pretty damn bad. High recoil, average damage, slow firerate [incl the "in burst/active" firerate"] My career stats say otherwise though, with the PM9 being considerably lower in K/D

Best combo is RF + Silencer, or RF + Kick [depending on how you play]  from my time with it.

Also, coltfirearms, who cares if your K/D is better than his on that gun? Lol.