20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2011 8:25 PM by esmorgue RSS

Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [XBOX]

iif0xh0undii

Oh, hi there!

So, you want to learn how to open your ports? This guide will hopefully set you on the proper path to achieving this. We'll cover quite a few topics, which I find important for achieving our goal, and we'll keep the flow as best as possible. Let's begin!

Setting up a proper NAT is key in creating an optimum online experience. This isn't a sure-fire fix to your online troubles, but it will better allow you to connect to potentially better hosts and your friends. To get started, let's first gather two very important items.

• Pen/Pencil

• Scratch Paper

Now that we have quite possibly the most powerful instruments known to man, let's take a crack at this thread. This guide is broken up into a few main sections. Each section is a constant work in progress and is subject to change in time. Feedback is welcome and contact information will be provided. Understand that this is not really complicated, just really, really long. Once you figure out the basics you'll be able to do this as many times as you need.

The following guide is provided in what I believe is a proper format. Each link will take you to a post within this thread and each post contains links which bring you back to this "index." Now, many people, or their peers, take issue with tinkering with electronics. Feel confident that all of the changes we make here can be reversed with a factory reset of your device. Anything worth noting will contain a disclaimer of some sort.

Contact information will be found below the guide.

The Guide

I'm new to all of this! Help!

- Show me how to forward ports please! [Full Wired Tutorial]

- Show me how to forward ports please! [Full Wireless Tutorial]

- I want to know what port forwarding is.

- I want to understand routers. Teach me more.

I've done this before...

- I don't need explanations and all I want is a refresher.

- I know what I'm doing and I only need the ports.

This isn't working!!

- What is DMZ? It seems easier...

- I've triple checked everything, but they will not open.

- My ports are open, but I'm still not happy.

Uhh... Houston, we have a problem!

- My router isn't listed at the site you provided. What do I do?

- My ports aren't open anymore. What could have happened?

- I need to change my static IP. What do I do now?

Twitter is the easiest way to contact me regarding any issues with this guide, or just about anything, but an email will be more concrete to getting changes made. I check my email before and after I begin moderating. You have a good chance to reach me.

• Email: josh@theycallmefox.com

• Tweet: @II_F0XH0UND_II

• COD Community Forum: IIF0XH0UNDII

Have a nice day,

II F0XH0UND II / theycallmefox

Hey! Why are you still scrolling?! The next post is a ways down and it's easier to navigate through the index.

You don't listen! At least you're curious!

Here we go! After this point it's a sea of posts.

Take me back to the index.

• Re: Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [XBOX]
    iif0xh0undii

Show me how to forward my ports please! [Full Wired Tutorial]

Setting up a static IP

Start up your console like normal and connect to Xbox Live if it isn't preset to do so. Let's head over to the system settings tab and then to the network settings tab from there. Here we'll want to select configure network under the wired network. All newly purchased Xbox 360s are set to automatic settings. Your xbox will connect to the Internet for you and acquire the information all on its own. Grab your pen/paper and take note of all of the information presented before you. You'll notice that both the IP settings and DNS settings are set to automatic, as previously stated, we're going to change that in moment. Before we continue, let's consider something very important. What our new static IP's address will be.

All IP addresses on a router follow the same scheme. E.g. 192.168.X.XXX. Many times the XXX set will be a relatively low number like 101 to 103 and the single X can range anywhere from 0 to 3+. The inherent function of a router is that it assigns IP addresses to new electronics as they connect to the router. With that in mind, our logical choice here is to pick something your router wouldn't normally assign any device connecting to your network. You don't need to go above 150, and most definitely do not need to go above 200+. Let's use 130 for now, you can always change this IP at any time, as I'm sure you'll never have 30 items connected to your router at once. Go ahead and use your router's single X it provided when you wrote your information down. We've got our IP of choice. Lightly scratch out the one you wrote down just now and write our new one, 192.168.X.130, next to it. Now let's move on.

There is a special case scenario regarding changing a static IP. We cover that in "I need to change my static IP. What do I do now?"

Back at the Xbox, click on the "IP settings" body of this information. Let's switch to manual and let's fill in our new static IP address, the subnet mask and gateway in the proper fields using the information you wrote down earlier. Make sure that everything has stuck and hit done. Move on to DNS settings and follow the same process with the gathered information. It's ok if you have only one DNS field to enter in. When I had DSL, my secondary DNS was a set of zeroes. Select done and we'll move on the next step.

Forwarding your ports.

This step is actually the harder of the two. Luckily we have a great website that will make handling this portion a lot more easier! Grab your pen and pencil though, we'll need it again.

Let's identify the router we're using. Normally the make and model is written on the device itself. This information can be found usually on either the bottom or back of the device. If you're lucky it'll be located on the top and in plain view. You're looking for a brand name and a model number. Write it down once you've found it. With our router model in hand it's time to visit portforward.com. I've taken the liberty to provide you with two links. The first is specific to the Xbox 360 and the other is the master list which will hopefully house your router and all available guides for that router. You'll want to start with the first link and see if your router is there. I'm not positive on how often they update that page, so if you can't find your router use the master list. In the master list, you'll want to search for "Xbox Live 360" after you've located your router and click on it. We'll address later on if you can't find your router in "My router isn't listed at the site you provided. What do I do?"

Also take note that portforward.com is a real site. It lives off of advertisements just like many other sites. If you run into a page notifying you of a program available for purchase, skip it by selecting the link at the top. A screenshot of that page will be located below as well. It's okay if you don't know how to access your router. Remember all the information we wrote down? The one titled "Default Router" is the IP you'll want to put into your browser's URL bar. The password and username are what you issued when you first setup your router. If your router is brand new, look up the information online or in the manual you received on purchase. Google is your friend!

Xbox 360 Specific

Master List
    Advertisement - If presented with a page similar to this image, please click the link at the top right to skip it and proceed to instructions and listings.

I for one like to double check things though, so I've grabbed the link you need to verify the ports and I'll also list them below. Make sure you double check these!

• Port 80 (TCP)
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 53 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 1863 (UDP/TCP)

Network ports used by Xbox Live.

So, you should be done. Give your router/360 a power cycle and then test your connection. If everything went to plan you should have an open NAT when you test your Xbox Live connection. Enjoy!

iif0xh0undii

Show me how to forward my ports please! [Full Wireless Tutorial]

Setting up a static IP

Start up your console like normal and connect to Xbox Live if it isn't preset to do so. Let's head over to the system settings tab and then to the network settings tab from there. Here we'll want to select "configure network" under your personal wireless network. All newly purchased Xbox 360s are set to automatic settings. Your xbox will connect to the Internet for you and acquire the information all on its own. Grab your pen/paper and take note of all of the information presented before you. You'll notice that both the IP settings and DNS settings are set to automatic, as previously stated, we're going to change that in moment. Before we continue, let's consider something very important. What our new static IP's address will be.

All IP addresses on a router follow the same scheme. E.g. 192.168.X.XXX. Many times the XXX set will be a relatively low number like 101 to 103 and the single X can range anywhere from 0 to 3+. The inherent function of a router is that it assigns IP addresses to new electronics as they connect to the router. With that in mind, our logical choice here is to pick something your router wouldn't normally assign any device connecting to your network. You don't need to go above 150, and most definitely do not need to go above 200+. Let's use 130 for now, you can always change this IP at any time, as I'm sure you'll never have 30 items connected to your router at once. Go ahead and use your router's single X it provided when you wrote your information down. We've got our IP of choice. Lightly scratch out the one you wrote down just now and write our new one, 192.168.X.130, next to it. Now let's move on.

There is a special case scenario regarding changing a static IP. We cover that in "I need to change my static IP. What do I do now?"

Back at the Xbox, click on the "IP settings" body of this information. Let's switch to manual and let's fill in our new static IP address, the subnet mask and gateway in the proper fields using the information you wrote down earlier. Make sure that everything has stuck and hit done. Move on to DNS settings and follow the same process with the gathered information. It's ok if you have only one DNS field to enter in. When I had DSL, my secondary DNS was a set of zeroes. Select done and we'll move on the next step.

Forwarding your ports.

This step is actually the harder of the two. Luckily we have a great website that will make handling this portion a lot more easier! Grab your pen and pencil though, we'll need it again.

Let's identify the router we're using. Normally the make and model is written on the device itself. This information can be found usually on either the bottom or back of the device. If you're lucky it'll be located on the top and in plain view. You're looking for a brand name and a model number. Write it down once you've found it. With our router model in hand it's time to visit portforward.com. I've taken the liberty to provide you with two links. The first is specific to the Xbox 360 and the other is the master list which will hopefully house your router and all available guides for that router. You'll want to start with the first link and see if your router is there. I'm not positive on how often they update that page, so if you can't find your router use the master list. In the master list, you'll want to search for "Xbox Live 360" after you've located your router and click on it. We'll address later on if you can't find your router in "My router isn't listed at the site you provided. What do I do?"

Also take note that portforward.com is a real site. It lives off of advertisements just like many other sites. If you run into a page notifying you of a program available for purchase, skip it by selecting the link at the top. A screenshot of that page will be located below as well. It's okay if you don't know how to access your router. Remember all the information we wrote down? The one titled "Default Router" is the IP you'll want to put into your browser's URL bar. The password and username are what you issued when you first setup your router. If your router is brand new, look up the information online or in the manual you received on purchase. Google is your friend!

Xbox 360 Specific

Master List
    Advertisement - Click the link at the top right to skip it and proceed to instructions and listings.

Now, the guides should provide you with the needed ports. I for one like to double check things though, so I've grabbed the links you need to verify the ports and I'll also list them below. Make sure you double check! The first is the Xbox Live knowledge base and the second is from the Activision knowledge base. Both are reliable resources to pull from.

• Port 80 (TCP)
    • Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 53 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 1863 (UDP/TCP)

So, you should be done. Give your router/360 a power cycle and then test your connection. If everything went to plan you should have an open NAT when you test your Xbox Live connection. Enjoy!

iif0xh0undii

I want to know what port forwarding is.

Luckily, our website of choice, Portforward, has an excellent article on this subject.

What is port forwarding?

Truthfully, this is the simplest article that you can find on this subject.

iif0xh0undii

I don't understand routers. I'm unsure of what all that can be done.

Personal Note - Like everyone, there was a point time that I didn't know a single thing about routers. True story: I felt like a boss when I got what I thought was my first router. Wrong, I bought a five port switch. It was no router and I fought for a good while trying to get it to work at no avail. Years later, I'm writing a guide on this. The main thing is to learn as much as you can. As I scour the Internet, I'll update this with quality information. For now, I have what I think is the best introduction guide as of now and below that I'll give you a dose of common-sense advice.

Night School: Know Your Network - Hosted by popular tech blog Lifehacker, this link will direct you to a very user friendly destination which houses a vast wealth of information. Everything from learning about your router to setting up your ports. This is a great article that compliments any existing understanding of network hardware/software and is a great knowledge base for beginners.

[LINK]

Common Sense + Google: Manuals. Seek them. - Thankfully we live in an age where most manuals exist online as PDFs. Googling your router's model number normally brings up a wealth of sites. Amazon, eBay, CNET and more frequent these results. What you're looking for is the manufacturer's website. Once found, navigate around a bit until you find the support page for your equipment. Bookmark that page. In the event that you ever need software or firmware, you'll find it here. Most importantly though, you can hopefully find your manual here. This will allow you to read everything about your piece of equipment with firm understanding of what you're going to click and what that click will start.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —

Disclaimer

Any actions taken based on resources you find elsewhere are not subject to my "factory reset" statement. This isn't to say that they are all intentionally harmful, just that I am not responsible for anyone else's actions or input.

iif0xh0undii

I don't need explanations and all I want is a refresher.

Setting up a static IP

[1.] Start your console and connect to Xbox Live.

[2.] Navigate to your system settings tab and to your network settings from there.

[3.] Select wired network, from there select configure network and grab your pen and paper.

[4.] Write down all the information we see here. (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS)

[5.] Select IP settings and switch over to manual.

[6.] Determine a proper static IP address to use. (192.168.X.XXX - Make XXX above 110, but not above 150. I use 149. Keep the X value the same.)

[7.] Select IP settings, switch to manual and fill in all of the information we gathered beforehand except for the IP. Let's use the one we determined here instead.

[8.] Select DNS settings and fill in the fields with the previously gathered information.

[9.] Select done and move on to step 2.

Forwarding your ports.

[1.] Identify your router.

[2.] Visit portforward.com using the following links.

Xbox 360 Specific

"Master" List

Now, the guides should provide you with the needed ports. I for one like to double check things though, so I've grabbed the links you need to verify the ports and I'll also list them below. Make sure you double check!

• Port 80 (TCP)

• Port 88 (UDP)

• Port 53 (UDP/TCP)

• Port 3074 (UDP/TCP)

• Port 1863 (UDP/TCP)

Source: Network ports used by Xbox Live.

You should be done. Give your router and 360 a power cycle if needed.

iif0xh0undii

I know what I'm doing and I only need the ports.

• Port 80 (TCP)

• Port 88 (UDP)
    • Port 53 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 3074 (UDP/TCP)
    • Port 1863 (UDP/TCP)

iif0xh0undii

What is DMZ? It seems easier...

Disclaimer

I generally don't approve of people using the DMZ. It's obviously an option you have, but there's risk if you don't consider it all.

In the real world, DMZ typically stands for demilitarized zone. Applying that to networking terminology, it translates into something which is not part of the existing firewall. Don't take my word for it. Here's an article on Wikipedia [LINK]. Be warned that it is a very technical piece.

The basics still stand though. Anything you put into the DMZ is going to be exposed to the Internet. Now, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It can be though and because I don't know the personal setup that most members have for a home network I advise you to consider a few things.

• A static IP in the DMZ needs to be relatively high.

• Your 360's network settings must be manually configured.

• Anything you put into the DMZ will be exposed to the Internet.

If you're sure you want to do this, please visit "I want to understand routers. Teach me more."

iif0xh0undii

I've triple checked everything, but they will not open.

If they aren't opening make sure you've tried the following.

• Typed the correct IP address in the necessary locations.

• Typed the correct DNS, Gateway and Subnet Mask values in the necessary locations.

• Typed the proper ports needed to connect to Xbox Live's servers.

• Power cycled your router and 360. (Sometimes you must do this to reflect the newest changes.)

• Updated your router to the newest firmware.

• Disabled UPnP on your router.* (This comes somewhat at a risk. Some of your programs may or may not work accordingly afterward.)

• Ensured that your router is not conflicting with another device's NAT/Firewall.

Feel free to send me an email if you're having issues. It's located beneath the index.

* - Learn: "What is UPnP?" via UPnP Org. [LINK]

iif0xh0undii

My ports are open, but I'm still not happy.

Maccabi has been a valued and vocal part of the Call of Duty: Black Ops community. His thread, Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant Strikes Back, on the Modern Warfare 3 forums is a treasure trove of additional information that will certainly bolster any information you've learned here.

In his thread you will find the following topics and much more:

• Discussion of MTU settings

• DNS server optimizations

• Notes on Listen Server vs. Peer-to-Peer topologies

• Discussion of ISP data traffic, bandwidth and ping

I can't stress enough how much you could benefit by reading his thread. It is a great balance of opinions, facts, resources and humor that will both keep you interested and informed.

Disclaimer: Any changes made with advice taken from Maccabi's thread are not subject to my "factory reset" statement. This isn't to say that Maccabi's thread is intentionally harmful, just that I am not responsible for anyone else's actions or input. Maccabi himself does a quality job of warning you of any potential harm that could be encountered as well. I wouldn't endorse him if I didn't have full trust in him.

iif0xh0undii

My router isn't listed at the site you provided. What do I do?

Don't panic, you're not doomed to a strict or moderate NAT. The good thing is you can do this on your own with some tinkering and a bit of searching. Log into your router, type in the gateway from your piece of paper, and take a look. If you can find a tab that is labeled "Applications," "Gaming," or even a highly self descriptive "Port Forwarding/Port Triggering," go ahead and check it out. We're looking for the ability to "forward" ports. The page will generally contain a table with available slots to input data or a series options to choose from that will create the opened ports. Here are some general images to give you some concept. Open these in a new tab.

Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 DDW3611

Linksys E3000

Netgear N300 (WNR3500L)

You can generally make out what this page is by looking at the examples. Once you find this, fill in the information accordingly and pay attention to the protocol. If it says UDP, make it UDP. Enable it all, power cycle your 360/Router and see how it holds up for you.

If you're still unsure of what you're doing, feel free to visit "I want to understand routers. Teach me more." Take a look at the last note and have at it. Feel free to send me an email if you're having issues. It's located beneath the index.

iif0xh0undii

My ports aren't open anymore. What could have happened?

Don't fret, this can happen for any number of reasons. It's more than likely not your fault either. If you've suffered a fairly powerful power surge, updated your firmware to the latest version or simply have aging technology, there's a very likely chance that your configuration was wiped. It's also possible that you decided to forego creating a static IP, or didn't create one high enough, and your router assigned your console's previous IP to another device.

The solutions are obvious.

• Ensure your equipment is working properly.

• Reconfigure your router to your previous settings.

• Create a proper static IP or change its designation.

You may not like that you must do this again, but at least it can be considered practice. You should consider investigating your router's manual for any discussion of saving your configuration settings. This will save time in the future if issues arise and will get you back in the game faster.

Need help with your router? Check out "I want to understand routers. Teach me more." and read the last note. It has some tips and general observations that'll help in the long run.

iif0xh0undii

I need to change my static IP. What do I do now?

In the event that you ever need to change your static IP you need only update your IP in the following locations.

• Xbox 360 "IP Address Settings" area.

• Each individual IP field per forwarded port in your router.

While this may seem simple, missing any field with your update IP may result in poor performance or the inability to connect to Xbox Live.

• Normal Person's Guide to an Open NAT ver. 2.0 [XBOX]
    iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]

iif0xh0undii

[Pending.]