13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2012 3:41 PM by zombies4lyfe RSS

Solution to Prestige Weapon Unlocks?

MUPHinATHONG

So I've been thinking about unlocking weapons through prestiging, and DLC guns, and the counter argument is always the same.. "you can't do that because then people who pay extra or play more may have access to the best guns in the game."

The solution?

Offer DLC guns, or guns unlocked through prestiging that have the exact same or very similar stats as other guns in the game that are available to normal players. The DLC or prestige guns would simply be a way of showing off your prestige or DLC, without being at any advantage. It would be more visually appealing, and not game-changing or OP.

With this approach, I would think that DLC guns should take the approach of BF3, and have 4 maps and unlockable guns and still cost 15.

Or, if they are going to want to charge more, just make the guns earned through prestige. That way we aren't being ripped off for copy and pasted gun stats.

This is just my opinion. Unlockable guns has worked in other gaming franchises, and it's about time that it starts working in CoD... Any opinions?

• Re: Solution to Prestige Weapon Unlocks?
    MUPHinATHONG

70 views and no one even has an opinion? C'mon guys. What are the forums for if not to give feedback? ...

I don't know having guns that look different with similar stats as other guns is kind of pointless, but there are still more alternatives. I think they should make a Mass Effect approach to this. For the multiplayer, they have these weekends where the entire community has to complete a challenge, and if you participate in the challenge, you get free DLC. It's really succesful, the fans love it.

MUPHinATHONG

That would be a great alternative, but people are usually busy at certain times during weekends or weekdays, and they would be unable to complete the challenge. I know that as of now, I can't really compete in Clan Ops because I am usually busy during that time.

I understand that you think guns with similar stats may be a little pointless, but it's more about the idea of a new gun to me rather than different stats. If they came out with an AK-74u in MW3 with the EXACT same stats as the MP5 or PM-9 I know that I would use it. Whether it came in a DLC package or if I had to prestige 6 times to unlock it. I feel like a lot of players are just looking for something new more than anything.

I feel like my approach would cater more to the approach of prestiging to unlock weapons... however, I'm not against unlocking weapons from DLC.

nicedrewishfela

I am a big fan and proponent of Prestiging, and I am against Gun unlocks in Prestiges. I had considered it for a while, but after consideration, while I feel there should be worthwhile rewards for prestiging, I feel those rewards shouldn't be non-game effecting. To explain, I mean items you can use in-game that will show off your hard work, but will not directly effect the outcome of a game. Things like character skins, Emblems, Camos, etc look cool, demonstrate that you have put time into the game and prestiged, but nobody can claim they effect or benefit one player over another.

If you are on this forum, you have played CoD enough to know that even guns with similar stats can sometimes overpower one another. Unfortunately, despite peoples claims to the contrary, every CoD game to date has had OP weapons. Thus, the full range of weaponry needs to be made available to all players, when unlocked through the normal course of progression that is. Each weapon needs a full set of challenges to complete as well.  It wouldn't be right to give players weapons not available to others, not everyone has the time to keep leveling up. This way, there is incentive for leveling up, but the rewards won't directly effect gameplay.

The only fair way I can see to add weapons, which has NEVER been done in a CoD game, is through DLC. If they were to offer that, it would make sense and be available to all players, but I don't see it happening. I think whats best for everyone is for 3Arc to release the game with a plethora of weapons that you continually unlock throughout each prestige. My main concern is that they balance the weapons accordingly, and really make a difference between weapon types. An SMG shouldn't have the range of an Assault Rifle. An Assault Rifle shouldn't have the range of a Sniper. A Sniper shouldn't have the fire rate of an Assault Rifle or SMG. A Shotgun should have limite range but be highly effective in CQB. Secondaries should be secondaries, not dominant over primaries. MW3's weapons are a mess. SMG's that shoot across maps, Snipers that machine gun and can be carried around the map like SMGs... Assault Rifles that can snipe with one shot one kill accuracy. If there is no differentiation between them, why even class the weapons that way?

MUPHinATHONG

I think that I realize what you're saying.. and correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm going to try and paraphrase)

-- Weapons are going to be OP even if their intention is to create balance. And people don't always have the time to prestige, so weapons shouldn't be unlocked solely due to playing more than someone else.

If this is correct.. I don't see my solution affecting the gun balance in-game. My proposal would be to simply allow players that play longer (or as a SECOND solution.. pay for DLC) to be able to show off new weapons. In my opinion.. Most guns are the same in CoD. For example, you have the M4A1 and ACR in MW3. They are similar in stats and it mostly depends on preference. Or you have the PP90 and the MP7. They are both good guns, but it depends on preference.

So, in my proposal, it doesn't add anything besides a visual aid to those who have prestiged. It could be the EXACT same gun as the MP7 or ACR or M4 in terms of stats, yet it has a different VISUAL appearance. That way, it doesn't affect gameplay, but it is just a way to show that you have earned the new gun. And by exact, I mean EXACT. RoF, Damage, Recoil, Magazine Size, Reload Speed, ADS Time, etc..

So I hate to sound like I'm trolling your post.. but I just don't see how you've digressed my original response..

avengedyesterday

You should not gain anything that will make a difference in game from prestiging. It's a choice not a requirement. Being left at a distadvantage from not doing it removes the choice and pretty much forces you to do it.

Prestige used to be about bragging rights.

gallp13

Like n bump........good idea this.....beats camos n bling.......system resound limits permitting of course.

dtuchpunk

Prestiging for unlocking weapons: No
    DLC: There are just a few weapon stats that can be combined to be in balance. COD is on the edge of balance. So a lot of weapons will mean same stats only witj different skins. So time better spend on for example map design.

rankismet

MUPHinATHONG wrote:

So I've been thinking about unlocking weapons through prestiging, and DLC guns, and the counter argument is always the same.. "you can't do that because then people who pay extra or play more may have access to the best guns in the game."

The solution?

Offer DLC guns, or guns unlocked through prestiging that have the exact same or very similar stats as other guns in the game that are available to normal players. The DLC or prestige guns would simply be a way of showing off your prestige or DLC, without being at any advantage. It would be more visually appealing, and not game-changing or OP.

With this approach, I would think that DLC guns should take the approach of BF3, and have 4 maps and unlockable guns and still cost 15.

Or, if they are going to want to charge more, just make the guns earned through prestige. That way we aren't being ripped off for copy and pasted gun stats.

This is just my opinion. Unlockable guns has worked in other gaming franchises, and it's about time that it starts working in CoD... Any opinions?

My only issue with gun unlocks as you prestige is the people who would boost and cheat their bahookies off to get them.

I firmly believe there has been only one OP gun in COD... akimbo Models in MW2.

Please no prestige guns or dlc guns keep the playing feild fair so when i rip all these kids faces off they have no excuses

zombies4lyfe

Im tired of every 1 saying keep it fair. If you are too damn lazy to lvl up in cod (which is an easy game) and get the same old stupid guns over and over again, then there is somthing wrong with you. I will tell everyone how gun progression should work despite the babbling of unfairness and whining people. When someone prestiges they should be entitled to a (better gun) it makes sence. Certian guns in the real life are better then others and thats how it should be in cod. So no more complaining about over powerd weapons. What we need is a variety of good guns in cod, the fact is no one likes useing crappy guns. The fact is people just get tired of seeing people use the same gun while they get killed. Cod is stale and dlc isnt the answer, its just people being lazy.