25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2012 8:41 PM by ghosthound RSS

Should BO2 have weapon proficiencies?

Dark_M3rc3n4ry

Weapon proficiencies were a quite useful tool to have in MW3 and I found that they werent overpowering like perks but still as useful as them. I didn't particularly like MW3 but this was one of the changes I did like.There were different sets of proficiencies for each gun sub-set and this allowed players to experiment and find which one worked best with their particular gun and play style. So what do you think, should they come back or not?

• Re: Should BO2 have weapon proficiencies?
    gallp13

Vote.....yes please

greencoffin72

I believe for HC players especially, the proficiencies were worthless.  Most players only use Kick, Impact, or Attachments.  The rest of the proficiencies are stupid.  Stability?  So, I get sway with an ACOG but not as bad with the HAMR/Mutli-scope??  Stupid.  Range for shotties? Most of the time you get a kill from a range unbelieveable to fathom.  Stupid as well.  Everyone has to have some advantage over someone else, they can't base things off of skill.

Leave them out I say; figure something new out.

rankismet

greencoffin72 wrote:

I believe for HC players especially, the proficiencies were worthless.  Most players only use Kick, Impact, or Attachments.  The rest of the proficiencies are stupid.  Stability?  So, I get sway with an ACOG but not as bad with the HAMR/Mutli-scope??  Stupid.  Range for shotties? Most of the time you get a kill from a range unbelieveable to fathom.  Stupid as well.  Everyone has to have some advantage over someone else, they can't base things off of skill.

Leave them out I say; figure something new out.

I agree.

brsox

I dont get your problem with proficiencies. any one of them can be useful in different situations. Just because you think they are stupid, does not mean they should be left out.

ghamorra

Slowly Call of Duty is building super weapons, it has to stop somewhere. Also liked mentioned above, most of the proficiencies were pointless

yes, I think weapon proficiencies are a good idea they weapons that normally would be considred bad, usable

avengedyesterday

No no and no.

Guns should have downfalls, with proficiencies you can pretty much turn any weapon into a super weapon.

Dark_M3rc3n4ry

I wouldn't say they made them super weapons, many of them were useless but things like kick and impact just slightly nudged confrontations in your favour. Their were some though that did make super weapons, mainly with shotguns: every match their would be someone running around emptying their clip from their striker using either damage or range.

matuzz

No, we have already perks. Why we need weapon proficiency to the mix?

The more they add things that affect players abilities the worse the game gets.

Soon we have equipment, killstreak and perk proficiency?

myevo8you

Profeciencies were a VERY BAD idea to begin with. Basically they were built in "super perks" for the guns themselves. Looking back at Modding Warfail 3 look at how many issues the guns had with certain profeciencies. Anyone remember the striker with range? HMMM... Shotgun that can OHK from 200+ feet away.

I say keep the system that Black Ops had with the weapons just being weapons, we can use COD points to unlock the attachments we want, and call it a day. There is NO reason I should have to wait to use a supressor on a gun that I want to play with, or any other attachment. There were only 2-3 attachements that I used on all my guns anyway and I should NOT have to wait until a gun reaches a certain level to use it. If I want  to play certain gamemmodes I should not have to make my time more difficult because certain perks/attachments are only available after certain levels.

Sometimes the more simple things are the better. Case in point being too much leveling/attachments/etc the game gets watered down and becomes more of a grind than fun.

That5What5Up

seriously, the grind part was just a pain in the ass.

Oh, i just want to see what thermal is like?  I have to put on a stupid ass acog for that?  how about I play a few games with weapons I like, earn some codpoints, and then buy the thermal?

It's not like im not working for the attachment, I just dont have to use stupid crap I dont want to use.

Dark_M3rc3n4ry

So overall thats a no then. I doubt that proficiencies would be in black ops 2 anyways , different producers different ideas.

dstr001

Proficiencies were a good idea, but I don't think kick should be brought back; it was like the stopping power of weapon perks, helped much more than the others.

The rest on their own would mean a much bigger variety of uses, instead of becoming dependant on lower recoil.

It used to be that the whole point in using a gun was to master its recoil, kick does away with the need for that skill.

avengedyesterday

dstr001 wrote:

Proficiencies were a good idea, but I don't think kick should be brought back; it was like the stopping power of weapon perks, helped much more than the others.

The rest on their own would mean a much bigger variety of uses, instead of becoming dependant on lower recoil.

It used to be that the whole point in using a gun was to master its recoil, kick does away with the need for that skill.

Yeah, especially when there is stability or whatever it's called that allowed you to hold your breath while firing a assault riffle. What the hell would you add in one to reduce recoil pretty much making the balanced one useless.

Kick wasn't the only issue, adding range to SMGs was very silly as well.

brsox

kick doesnt really help much. Focus is probably more useful.

xblbw

Dont mind either way as long as shot guns are one shot machines from the start. Leveling all the shotguns in MW3 to get damage took years of my life.

brsox

I like weapon proficiencies. It lets the developer allow a perk that can be restricted to a specific gun. I feel like it helps to balance the game.

NONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!

NO PROFINCIENCIES!!! NO DEATH STREAK!!!!!! NO PERK 3!!!!!!!! TOO MUCH!!!!

nuttin2say

750 kills for each proficiency has been a little much. No. Take that back. It has been way too much.

That's to complete the challenges, of course.

And like others have posted, it is a grind to unlock some of the proficiencies on some of the weapons. A huge grind.

And you have to do it every prestige.

The little difference the various proficiencies makes isn't worth it. Not even for Kick or Impact or even Attachments. I've never been a big Attachment guy anyway. Either a silencer or extended mags works fine. The ACOG?? Seriously, that is the most overrated sight system in Call of Duty since and including MW1.

If they keep the proficiency thing, they need to lower the thresholds for all of it. The challenges, the unlocks, everything.

ghosthound

As a concept - yes. They were essentially a 4th perk.

However they should be the same for every weapon/weapon class and some - like attachments and impact shouldn't be included as either a proficiency or perk.