16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2012 8:23 AM by P2PmatchingSUX Branched to a new discussion. RSS

I made a big decision today: No More COD For Me, Ever

I'm 45 years old. I have been gaming since 1976. I actually *owned* a games company. One of my RTS games went to #1 on re-release in the last 6 years. I know how to make games. I know how to support gamers (and I made *lots* of mistakes while learning). I have spent about $30,000 on hardware and about $10,000 on games since 1990. I have 100Mbs internet, a dedicated gaming router, and a dedicated gaming PC.  I've ranked in the top 10% of Battlefield, and being in top quartile of most MW games.

I spent at least 4000 hours learning FPS games from Quake III through Unreal, Battlefield and now COD.

And now I am just not going to bother any more. Ever.

How bad does a game experience have to be to make someone as dedicated as me give up?

Let me explain: it is the P2P matching service. Just that. It is broken. It could never have worked (actually, it could be better, I'll explain later). It does not work. It is just plain horrible. Recently IW and Activision actually managed to make it worse, which is, frankly, beyond belief. They made this worse by punishing people who invest in good bandwidth and good hardware.

I live in the UK. For some reason, no one at Activision or IW understands that "the speed of light is not a chew toy", and they think it reasonable to match me with players in Moscow, Sophia (Hungary), Southern Spain, and the East Coast of the USA. Sometimes all at once. They won't let me filter my connections by ping. They won't even let me see the ping times. They have some crappy green bars that mean nothing, and they won't let me see those until after I am commited to a game. When I could see some decent information (in MW2 by amending the config file), they took that away in MW3

Then they apply a "lag compensation" to an already broken idea. This is putting toxic lipstick on a dead and rotting pig.

This means that players in Russia get about 1/2 a second to see me, kill me, and move on, before the broken piece of crap that is IWnet actually lets me see what is going on. What part of "good game experience" is that helping exactly? It shatters the pleasure, makes me feel like a fool, makes a mockery of the hours of learning, and reduces fun games to utter screaming frustration. It creates rage, where there should be smiles.

In fact, has anyone from IW or Activision actually every tried to play in Europe? Seriously? Drop round. I'll show you.

And it is all YOUR FAULT, Activision and IW.

And then there are the hackers. Three in Five games probably have a hacker. I don't mean "people who score lots and have an incredible K/D ratio", I mean people who just stand in a spot, spin round and shoot through walls. People with no profile, no hours, no friends, no history and (usually) abusive or sexual avatars.

You have done nothing about hackers. Nothing. The Steam reporting system is a mockery. VAC bans mean nothing. You have no algorithms to spot the Moab boosters, wall hackers, aimbotters or perma-jacket wearers. Yet, as a human we can see them. So why can you not generate Behavioural Algorithms that spot and insta-ban them? Not so hard?

If you get 50 kills in a game, 40 of which were wall penetration without a UAV up, and a MOAB, and (say) 3 other players press a "suspected hacker" report, WHY NOT DEAL WITH THEM?

If a player has not created a profile (or locked it), has no friends, and then - in their first game ever - scores 40 kills / 3 deaths and a Moab, they are probably a hacker. Just temporary ban them until they create a profile and then track their behaviour for a while.

If I want to blacklist a player because of racism, sexism, or suspected hacking, why can't I? That alone would kick about 90% of the hackers off the system. A simple blacklist / whitelist system. So simple. I could probably even code it for you.

But you don't. I think I know why. I think the reason is that, in the last two months, about 50% of MW3 players have stopped playing. Lobbies are down to about 800 simultaneous, from over 3,000 on hardcore. You need the hackers to create numbers, or the P2P system just falls over for lack of matches.

Don't get me started on dedicated servers. Just don't. They have issues, but the issues are so much smaller than those that consoles have.

So, you bet the farm on the console market. Brilliant plan? No, not really. It is already clear that the console market is in massive decline, that smart devices, mobile, cloud and general purpose computing are way ahead in terms of adoption. Consoles were an eddy in a stagnant pool, and are certainly not the future. You wanted to play with the big boys, and you forgot your roots, and the people who actually created and drove your business.

Then you created a massive "egg on face" moment with ELITE. This is beyond pitiful. I hope you have fired a lot of people over that one.

So, that is it. You won't be getting about $200 off me over the next 2 years. PC vendors won't be selling me a new gaming rig. I won't be that interested in releases of anything from Activision, and I will be sure to express my displeasure in every way I can, to every one I can make listen; both in the trade and in public forums.

You killed it, Activision, and not in a good way.

Bye.

• Re: I made a big decision today: No More COD For Me, Ever

It is sad, as this could have been a great game, overtaking Cod 4 in popularity  but a poor implemented consol driven interface and the lack of RANKED dedi servers and the amount of hackers playing this version of Cod must be some sort of record in it's self.  I keep popping back once a week or so in hope things have changed but no!  same lag and hackers about...

To be honest if this game was my first experience of PC online gaming I would never purchase another IW / Activison game ever again oh that's ok because I am not.

No console gamers are a joke PC gamers are superior we get mod tools Source Development Kit (SDK), Ranked Dedicated Servers, and 64+ player maps whose laughing now you are the joke you stop game technology from progressing you are the root of all that is evil in gaming consoles are trash also without PC gamers you would not be playing Call of Duty on consoles because Call of Duty started off on PC first as an exclusive.

Excellent work: you just said what the rest of us have been saying, in one concise article.

May I copy it and post it on our clans front page?

Poison_pawn POC

wierd worlds are these

P2PmatchingSUX wrote:

I'm 45 years old. I have been gaming since 1976. I actually *owned* a games company. One of my RTS games went to #1 on re-release in the last 6 years. I know how to make games. I know how to support gamers (and I made *lots* of mistakes while learning). I have spent about $30,000 on hardware and about $10,000 on games since 1990. I have 100Mbs internet, a dedicated gaming router, and a dedicated gaming PC.  I've ranked in the top 10% of Battlefield, and being in top quartile of most MW games.

I spent at least 4000 hours learning FPS games from Quake III through Unreal, Battlefield and now COD.

And now I am just not going to bother any more. Ever.

How bad does a game experience have to be to make someone as dedicated as me give up?

Let me explain: it is the P2P matching service. Just that. It is broken. It could never have worked (actually, it could be better, I'll explain later). It does not work. It is just plain horrible. Recently IW and Activision actually managed to make it worse, which is, frankly, beyond belief. They made this worse by punishing people who invest in good bandwidth and good hardware.

I live in the UK. For some reason, no one at Activision or IW understands that "the speed of light is not a chew toy", and they think it reasonable to match me with players in Moscow, Sophia (Hungary), Southern Spain, and the East Coast of the USA. Sometimes all at once. They won't let me filter my connections by ping. They won't even let me see the ping times. They have some crappy green bars that mean nothing, and they won't let me see those until after I am commited to a game. When I could see some decent information (in MW2 by amending the config file), they took that away in MW3

Then they apply a "lag compensation" to an already broken idea. This is putting toxic lipstick on a dead and rotting pig.

This means that players in Russia get about 1/2 a second to see me, kill me, and move on, before the broken piece of crap that is IWnet actually lets me see what is going on. What part of "good game experience" is that helping exactly? It shatters the pleasure, makes me feel like a fool, makes a mockery of the hours of learning, and reduces fun games to utter screaming frustration. It creates rage, where there should be smiles.

In fact, has anyone from IW or Activision actually every tried to play in Europe? Seriously? Drop round. I'll show you.

And it is all YOUR FAULT, Activision and IW.

And then there are the hackers. Three in Five games probably have a hacker. I don't mean "people who score lots and have an incredible K/D ratio", I mean people who just stand in a spot, spin round and shoot through walls. People with no profile, no hours, no friends, no history and (usually) abusive or sexual avatars.

You have done nothing about hackers. Nothing. The Steam reporting system is a mockery. VAC bans mean nothing. You have no algorithms to spot the Moab boosters, wall hackers, aimbotters or perma-jacket wearers. Yet, as a human we can see them. So why can you not generate Behavioural Algorithms that spot and insta-ban them? Not so hard?

If you get 50 kills in a game, 40 of which were wall penetration without a UAV up, and a MOAB, and (say) 3 other players press a "suspected hacker" report, WHY NOT DEAL WITH THEM?

If a player has not created a profile (or locked it), has no friends, and then - in their first game ever - scores 40 kills / 3 deaths and a Moab, they are probably a hacker. Just temporary ban them until they create a profile and then track their behaviour for a while.

If I want to blacklist a player because of racism, sexism, or suspected hacking, why can't I? That alone would kick about 90% of the hackers off the system. A simple blacklist / whitelist system. So simple. I could probably even code it for you.

But you don't. I think I know why. I think the reason is that, in the last two months, about 50% of MW3 players have stopped playing. Lobbies are down to about 800 simultaneous, from over 3,000 on hardcore. You need the hackers to create numbers, or the P2P system just falls over for lack of matches.

Don't get me started on dedicated servers. Just don't. They have issues, but the issues are so much smaller than those that consoles have.

So, you bet the farm on the console market. Brilliant plan? No, not really. It is already clear that the console market is in massive decline, that smart devices, mobile, cloud and general purpose computing are way ahead in terms of adoption. Consoles were an eddy in a stagnant pool, and are certainly not the future. You wanted to play with the big boys, and you forgot your roots, and the people who actually created and drove your business.

Then you created a massive "egg on face" moment with ELITE. This is beyond pitiful. I hope you have fired a lot of people over that one.

So, that is it. You won't be getting about $200 off me over the next 2 years. PC vendors won't be selling me a new gaming rig. I won't be that interested in releases of anything from Activision, and I will be sure to express my displeasure in every way I can, to every one I can make listen; both in the trade and in public forums.

You killed it, Activision, and not in a good way.

Bye.

Well said and so very, very true.

I have been gaming since 1995 on a proper pc, but before that it was the old mega drive and NES etc etc.

I am about ready to give up on Call Of Duty games, but I am going to see what happen's with Black Op's 2 simply because I think Treyarch might pull something out of the bag but I cannot, say for sure but I will atleast look at it when released.

Infinity Ward are just a joke now, and they do a token gesture to make people think they are actually interested in helping us pc gamers with, the 2 Devs posting on here but it is as some people said in that they only appeared because they are about to release the 2nd DLC for MW3 and they want us all to buy it.

I wish I could have said it so well...

Regarding this-

they only appeared because they are about to release the 2nd DLC for MW3 and they want us all to buy it.

...you got that right. That is a pattern we recognize now

Regarding BO... I don't think they have committed to ranked dedi-servers yet have they?

No BO for me.

...and yes NerfBox is an appropriate term for those silly console toys

yep that's why I quit CoD I have moved on to bigger and better things like BF3 all of you pissed at IW and Activision goto Dice they actually listen to the customers and better yet they use PunkBuster then VAC. I check the forums here to see if anything has gotten fixed because I will play CoD again but when they fix everything that is needed.

zero7272

i play on the 360 my self man and trust me everything you just wrote there is spot on, the game is not cutting it any more, after MW2 it was straight up jepordy i like BO but the Mw element was missing.

Give this a like and bump it till it cant be bumped no more.

Totaly agreed not to mention in game problems that are not lag related

{bhc}max|co

like most fps pc gamers, i love cod since i first discovered it on cod2, ive bought every release on pc since, even the ps3 cod3(which i sold after a week).

After much campaining on these forums, which has resulted in my ban for past month, i fianlly took the plunge and bought bf3, and it has everything you ever need , with now close quarters it can finally compete with cod as a decent fps.. the bonus is its supported for and made for pc gaming..

ive given up on michael condrey and glen scholfield on twitter, coz all they do is troll and have vistually stopped responding to pc questions there

the only one who appears to be (re) building bridges is mark ruben from iw, who at least is answering questions daily on twitter. and also seems to understand the failings of mw3 on pc.

any how, until mw3 or any future cod is released with proper pc dedication and support, i'll stick with our cod4 (mw2v5 mod) and our new close quarters bf3 server..

Happy PC gaming {BHC}Max

Stormproot

BF3 is a much 'bigger' game, and has so much more to it than MW3 - it's what MW3 should have been in terms of map sizes (and configurations for different game modes), vehicles,  and so on (obviously the graphics and gameplay are different).

And then there's the overall support for PC with BF3 - which I think I've mentioned quite a few times now

Hopefully, the game-makers will take note of the pc community anger at the current set up for MW2 & MW3 and Treyarch will make absolutely sure that BLOPS2 will be on ranked dedicated servers at the very least.

To be honest, I will probably buy BLOPS2 anyway, just for the SP campaign - but I am hoping the multiplayer experience is sorted out properly.

Let's see:

PC Problems fixed on day 1. Nope... still waiting (ever since MW2 actually)

Xbox problems when new DLC borked the crappy system because it was overloaded? Yep fixed, all CM's suddenly take an interest and help out.

Yes Candyslexia & Teanah, i'm looking at you here. For all your dedicated to the PC talk you show dang little of it.

As for Undzis: Consoles haven't added anything to the gaming scene whatsoever. Every innovation comes from the PC platform because that one is much more open to experiment on. This comic sums up what's wrong with console/casual gamers real nicely.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280

Agree with you. I'm the same age as you and have a similar gaming history.

It´s boring and hateful try to do some gameplay and only find cheaters and hackers.

Do you remember those dedicated servers on World at war with more than 48 players????

Sniff

mikhailcr

Yes, I hate when I'm trying to play in a match when a "noob" hacker ruins our games, only I can find 1/5 matches without a hacker... PC community need to do a "Strike" they need to give us a better service or don't release a game for pc anymore... Don't cheat us again.

it's still broken, and by all accounts getting worse as players numbers continue to fall and matching is getting harder

having too many game modes dilutes all the few players - I tried again for "old times sake" and what did I find?

1 - there is a NEW SERVER BROWSER hidden away in "options, enable server browser"

(the problem is, all the good players went instantly to private servers, and the public P2P is now entirely full of hackers!)

2 - lag compensation is now WORSE, as the players are diluted over too many games modes, and that means it has to match people from Canada, Moscow and the UK in one game - REALLY, it did that to me! Insane!

So, won't be back. really wanted it to work, it doesn't