33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 3:19 PM by OldCowboy RSS

My thoughts on the Reaper

ghamorra

I find it to be a waste of a 9 killstreak. There are few maps that it can effective and even when you do find a poor soul out in the open to kill you get a few hitmarkers. I had a guy who found my body and was sitting on top of me. I shot twice and I didn't kill him, I didn't even kill myself!

I even  have problems with the AC-130 getting kills but I don't use it as much as the Reaper because the Pavelow it such a great killstreak for me. The attack heli is too easy to take down so the Reaper barely edges it out. Honestly I don't find any of the Assault killstreaks worth while. Support offer much more beneficial options

• Re: My thoughts on the Reaper
    codbig_boss

You only need 3 kills for a 12 streak. That is do able on most maps. Some maps you can 9 for the ospery.

opb81

I hated the reaper until I figured out you could zoom in and then it became one of my favorites and it is a great bridge to open either pave low or ac130. I will agree that there are a few maps that make it tough, but I almost always get at least 2-3 kills since it takes 2 stingers to shoot down. If the enemy is not running anti air classes the kills start to rack up quicker.

The other benefit to it is if you are running as a party or good teamates. and the enemy is taking cover you can route your teamates to their locations for the kills.

RAMBONER

Man I agree I am **** with the thing and I even watched the vid someone put on the forum awhile back on how to use it well.  The dam thing sure ***** me up when the other team has it up so I am sure it is me who sucks and not the reaper.

I do agree the assault streaks arent great other then the pavelow (its bad ass) and the OG which I dont even run as I would never get it.  I have only had it in a CP.  I think I would take another attack heli over a reaper honestly.  Plus I always get smoked while I am using the thing so it doesnt work well as a bridge to higher killstreaks for me personally.

i dont no about the pavelow anymore.  the last 3 ive sent up have been shot down before it got over the map.  i am patient before i throw it out there.  i listen for enemy sam turret and i usually run sitrep i will go find it if i hear one.  i do alot better with 5, 6, and 7 killstreaks. the pavelow isnt what it once was a few years back.

dastealth

The Reaper is a difficult killstreak to really use. When I first started playing I found that I really sucked at it, so I switched it out for the AH-6 Overwatch. After some time I picked one up out of a care package and did suprisingly well with it. After that I learnt how to use it more effectively. I found the biggest key to it was that you need to aim in front of the person or curve the missile at the last moment to make the most impact.

ghamorra

The AH-6 has an Artard for a pilot. Rarely do I see it chase someone that's it's shooting. It's like as soon as he reaches a certain distance it gives up on him. In objective gamemodes it does ok, but generally it's not all that effective

RAMBONER

Scratch_1_ more is who posted the reaper vid I think (not positive tho).  It was really really good with commentary.  I watched it a few times and like dastealth said he talks a lot about curving it and how to do that.  I think his vid is on resistance and he curves it into all of the tight spots and alleys which is pretty impressive.  Anthos posted a couple commentary gameplay vids and watching him use the reaper is helpful as well..

I dont know how to find that link but maybe someone else can.  It would fit good in this thread.

opb81

Should add one other tip with the reaper is if you see someone in the open dont put the red marker on them right away start off a little ways away from them then as soon as the warhead gets closer learn to swing it right onto that person for the kill. I found that by aiming right at people from launch it gives them a heads up and smart players time to get into cover or pull out a trophy system.

Here is the reaper video thread from resistance on how to control and curve your shot

http://community.callofduty.com/message/205328958#205328958

I love it. Possibly my fav kill streak of all time. Its hard on some maps but then again on those same maps all other killstreaks are relatively useless. (arkaden for one)

It takes a little getting use to but you should give it ago. At least on maps like village, dom and mission. Trust me once you get the hang of it you'll have fun

vims1990

This is how I rank the 9 Pointstreak Rewards:

Reaper > AH6 Overwatch > Strafe Run

Reaper is amazing on open maps like Dome, Village etc.

It was hard to use at first but once I got use to the controls & zoom-in function, it's decent.

Using Strafe Run as a pointstreak....you're wasting your time. More of a reward for the enemy team with a stinger than for you.

dlundebjerg28

The Reaper is easily my favorite killstreak in this game. It's always the first killstreak I unlock, and it is by far the best 9 killstreak IMO.

I hated it my first few prestiges, and I switches to the AH6 for a while, but after watching video after video of guys dominating with it, I gave it another shot. On open maps it dominates and if you know the outdoor spawns on other maps it's pretty awesome. The only time I use the AH6 instead is with my MP7 class because I like to keep moving with that class and my AH6 always watches my back.

Thesandman

Reaper is my fav killstreak and i will always get a minimum of 5-8 kills with it. Its is far superior to the AH6 imo. The only exception is on the maps, Arkaden and Lockdown.

Izjar11

First it would depend on the map, second I guess the game type. I enjoy the reaper, at first found it dificult but when you zoom in and see them run! Oh man thats fun.

ghamorra

I didn't know you could zoom in until someone posted you could. I'll have to try that out and see how muhc better it is. Most of the time the only thing I can really see is red boxes. I don't even see the guy in the box so shooting Blind-eye people is all a matter of luck

xFANCY_KIWIx

Dude try out the AH-6. It is AMAZING. If no oe is shooting down air support it does work. So much better then the playdough shooting reaper.

It's also actually trickier to shoot down overall than other air support BECAUSE of it flying so low, meaning you actually have to put yourself in danger to get close enough to get it into a good enough view. But when you also consider how much people move around, it will move along with them, allowing them to "dodge" shots even. Several times I've had it slide out of the way of my Stinger because of the person moving and it following.

And trying to shoot it down with your gun is pretty much out of the question, even with Blind Eye Pro, since all you'll do is give away your position to the enemy while trying to do so.

This is why both are 9 Killstreak options; each has their own advantages and disadvantages to the other.

What are you talking about? The reaper is my lowest killstreak and it always gets me my other 2 either being Pavelow,ac130, jugg or osprey.... You need to learn how to use it pal!

Thesandman

I love the way you can curve the missile around corners by zooming in. Def better than an AH6.

Reaper is awesome, every shot is usually a kill from it. I just love the way it feels and the control of the missile. People think they can hide, HAHAHA I can fit a shot into the lil window you think is protecting ya!! LOL

The Reaper is not an easy killstreak when you start out using it, it can be less uselful on some maps (lots of buildings etc) and it's not as effective in Deathmatch (or Campmatch).

It takes practice but a skilled user can really really lay down damage. I've used it since I started playing and it's extremely effective in objective gamemodes. Even if you miss people your still aggrevating the other team. Additionally it attracts less shootdown attempts due to it's altitude and it can be difficult to spot in the sky (despite radar showing it's position) compared to other killstreaks.

Best tips I can give is predict the path of evading enemy players i.e aim ahead but offset the aim slightly so the enemy doesn't see your big infrared marker on the ground else they'll know your aiming and they will immedietly evade. Aim at them right at the last minute. Use the zoom of course and be aware/take advantage of the missiles last minute tight turn capability and also remember detonate it on the walls of tight corridor/maze sections for the kill. Once you get good you'll be aiming it into windows and sending it down hatches (provided the view angle is in your favour) for those double/triple kills. It's not easy but it's damn fun.

Have you guys noticed that sometimes if flys at an optimum angle based on the enemy spawn? It gets kill after kill.

Normally it sucks on hardhat for me (no more than 5 kills) but the other day it flew on this opposite angle and It got me the pavelow and the osprey.