34 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2013 9:45 AM by Alecstrong RSS

bad news for PS3 player no more DLC sharing

MVME2NIGHT

Now you could only have you account link to 2 system. these suck for me and my friends we share the cost of the map map tru one user gameID so we only paid 5 dollar for all mappack but know that gone http:////www.product-reviews.net/2011/11/04/psn-planned-maintenance-to-bring-unw elcome-changes/

• Re: bad news for PS3 player no more DLC sharing
    kourtvizion

It says for games in the article.  Would it apply to DLC also? I guess we have to wait and see.  That would suck.  Considering I have 3 PS3's that I normally play on.

robbierocket

If you are going to post something why can't you just read it once through first? I'm not talking about a type-o or spelling error but your whole first two sentences are nonsense and we're left guessing what your angle or exact point is, even though the subject is obvious.

iif0xh0undii

Speaking as a gamer.

Good! It needed to be regulated and thwarted. What the OP fails to realize is that his approach of "we're cutting the costs and sharing the bounty" is undermining to the rest of the community. Because you and your friends either can't afford the product or refuse to pay for it, you're driving the likelihood up of developers to increase the cost. You took something for granted that had huge risks and clearly was an act of irresonsbility. They, Sony, finally responded. It's a security risk. It's stealing. Now it's regulated even harder. I hope it's removed entirely at some point.

robbierocket

I think a fair scenario would have been being asked when you download the content if you would like it locked to the Hardware or locked to the User. In the first instance anyone using that machine could use the DLC but you would have to purchase again to use the DLC on any of your accounts elsewhere. In the second instance, you could download the content (on, say 3-5 machines) but it is locked to only that one account and no other account on any machine can use it. This would have been fair and many people would have coughed up (rightly so) for content they really wanted to play. I bought all COD map packs/DLC except the lastest Zombies-only DLC on Black Ops (9 altogether, MW-1, WAW-3, MW2-2, BO-3) and only downloaded to both my machines plus one machine I used at a friends while visiting. I'm happy to pay.

I don't expect to get a free pizza cos my mate paid for his to be delivered to my apartment...

I have to say this is great news. I have a friend who makes roughly 70 grand a year, and he ALWAYS asks me for the maps. I love this. If you are too cheap to buy the maps, sorry for you. Also i saw someone saying 'i have 3 kids'. You mean to tell me you bought each one of your children a ps3 so they could all play at the same time, but you're complaining about 15 dollars? Share the maps with 2, buy an additional for 15 dollars, and get over it. I repeat, I LOVE this.

It's stealing.

It IS stealing.

It's STEALING.

I can say it many different ways, but it still comes down to being the same thing.

If you give your account information to someone else for the purposes of obtaining content that they did not pay for on their PS3, you are circumventing the purchasing process that is required to legitimately procure the content.

You can reason it any way you want to yourself and others that it's not stealing, but it's still stealing.

If your friends want the maps, they'll buy the maps.

Quick question.

Say my PS3 has some kind of issue and I have to get it replaced through Sony. Will that second PS3 count as my second system in the sharing system? What happens if that one is defective also? I'll be on my third PS3 and S.O.L.?

Just wondering. I only have one PS3 and I doubt this will be an issue. I'm just wondering how that would work out.

So, really it only affects those who play on separate systems with the same login?

I say this is great news. I am tired of the little kiddies harassing day in and day out for me to send my account info. I do not know who would do this but from the sounds of this it happens. If you want something in life earn it. I am sure the same people that dashboard, hack, etc. are the same ones that see no issue with sharing map packs due to the fact they have no concept of earning.

AC_786

i agree with above poster you shouldnt be able to pass it around like candy imo

It's about time they did something about this. Can't count how many kids asked me if they could get it DLC that I paid for with my money. At first I had no idea what the hell gamesharing was until this one kid explained it to me. As soon as he said I had to give him my password I said hell no buy your own. Hopefully it will stop or at least decrease the kids online who can't buy or or get someone else to buy it for them. I have 1 PS3 and 1 account so this in no way bothers me lol. People who "share"/steal it with their friends will be the ones upset.

15 whole dollars, or buy Elite for what another 60 ( I think, I don't have it). What is it really going to break the bank. 15 bucks doesn't even get me a 1/4 tank of gas, or maybe 2 for lunch at McDonalds. You obviously bought (or mommy bought) that console you are playing on at a cost of who know's 200 to 600, depending on the system.

And how many games do you own at 60 bucks a whack. You can't afford 15. I could stand on a street corner with a cup in hand and have 15 bucks in no time. For the kiddies, put the game down for a few hours, go outside and ask you neighbors if they need yard work done (you live in a city, the cup works well) or something, like we did back in the day when we wanted to buy something. Bunch of entitled brats that don't want to work for anything. ( not sour or anything)

Let it go man.  As said before, game sharing and content sharing was for household with multiple consoles. You said yourself "me and my friends we share the cost of the map map tru one user gameID".  This is why PSN changed it to 2 instead of five.  Because you people are cheap and want to share with 4 other households.  It doesn't bother me because I just share it with my roommates ps3.  However, I feel bad for the people who have 3 or more PS3s in a household that are now screwed because of this.  But then again, if you can afford 3 or more ps3s, buying elite twice shouldn't be that hard.

There is a few ways im looking at this

1st = im glad because why should i pay £45 for elite so others can download MY maps for free?

2nd = i only play on 1 ps3 but some people have 2/3 so why cant sony add an option like you can use DLC on 2/3 systems from the same IP address (that may stop people just giving out there psn id/password to friends)

3rd = if you play at your friends house whats stopping you taking your ps3 with you, sorted now you can play YOUR maps on YOUR ps3 with YOUR id on your friends tv.

alot of people are talking about kids i this topic but can i say that i play in a clan where most members are 25/40 years old and not all get free DLC and some not all do ask can i have your DLC, i just say NO (its not hard)

People that use this feature in the way you describe is stealing.  You and others that have done this are why people like me, with MUTLIPLE PS3's.  Now I have to buy content three times to cover our 5 PERSONALLY OWNED AND OPERATED playstations.

Pat yourself on the back, preferabaly with a mac truck, for giving the corporate monster a way to make us pay for more than we should have to!!!

Its as bad as when Anonymous hacked the PSN to supposedly 'save' the consumer and punish SCEA... gimme a break... get a life.