24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2010 6:59 PM by ragequitter RSS

LAGGERS - HOST MIGRATION - SWITCHES - SERVER DISCONNECTED !

STREETGL0W
whats the deal anymore treyarch, all day here lately were seeing lagging, matches stopping in the middle with server disconnected notice, as well as at the end of a match you see the unplug symbol and see the guy on the other team has 60 kills and 2 deaths
i hope this all is being worked on, theres about 50 of us here that are getting sick of these issues nightly and daily
please give us a update as to whats going on , thanks
  • Re: LAGGERS - HOST MIGRATION - SWITCHES - SERVER DISCONNECTED !
    austin619316
    the 50 of you are the people with  bad connections that need excuses to lose
    maybe fix your connection? i haven't seen any of these problems...none of my friends have been complaining...maybe its on your side
    Agreed!

Just because you 2 dicks haven't seen these problems doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

I've got the 3rd fastest connection in the world behind Japan and Sweden and I have problems, so have an open mind!

Example:- you buy a new car and it's faulty, just because the other million sold don't have a fault doesnt mean yours doesn't!
    slickbuster84

Fire 7Vg wrote:

Agreed!

Just because you 2 dicks haven't seen these problems doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

I've got the 3rd fastest connection in the world behind Japan and Sweden and I have problems, so have an open mind!

Example:- you buy a new car and it's faulty, just because the other million sold don't have a fault doesnt mean yours doesn't!

Agreed there is over 7 million copies sold. The chance of running into people who cheat or exploit the online gaming system dont always show up on everyone's radar until it happens to them.
    STREETGL0W
    my connection as well is flawless, so thats not the issue kids
    I know we're agreeing with you!

I've been trying to sort my connection issue out with Activision for the past week and they are saying it's a router problem, funny thing is I DON'T have a router!
    Sounds to me they don't want to admit it's a fault at there end for some reason???
    CorrosiveHammon

Fire 7Vg wrote:

Agreed!

(Y)

I especially feel this pain because Mac computers stuffed up my router and now XBOX Live ***** on me extremely frequently.
    Sounds to me like some people don't want to admit their connection or downloading copious amounts of gentlemen's photography at the same time as playing might be the problem myself. Seriously every complaint I read about the lag the poster always says they have some obscenely fat broadband pipe, their ISP is the same one God uses and their home network was setup by Bill Gates and Steve Jobs personally. So unless you all live in Korea and everyone you're playing is also playing in Korea I take these kinds of complaints with a hefty pinch of salt.

Lag happens no matter how good a netcode is, that's just the vagaries of the interweb for you.

VernierSlake wrote:

Sounds to me like some people don't want to admit their connection or downloading copious amounts of gentlemen's photography at the same time as playing might be the problem myself. Seriously every complaint I read about the lag the poster always says they have some obscenely fat broadband pipe, their ISP is the same one God uses and their home network was setup by Bill Gates and Steve Jobs personally. So unless you all live in Korea and everyone you're playing is also playing in Korea I take these kinds of complaints with a hefty pinch of salt.

Lag happens no matter how good a netcode is, that's just the vagaries of the interweb for you.

BOLLOCKS!

I've never had this problem with COD4 or MW2, but got lag on W@W and NOW Black Ops so for me it's a Treyarch Server issue as it would happen on all online games!
    VGA Miglong
    I am just getting tired of being in a match owning the other team, pull out Chopper Gunner and dogs and as soon as I use them the game drops back to the lobby because the host dashboards... It happened about 7 times today, it seems to be getting more frequent. Honestly, they really need to fix the host migration. And have it always migrate to someone on the team currently in the lead because they are less likely to leave.

And as for the lag, I really do not notice it as much unless there are over 600k people on then it starts to really show. So I tend to try and just play late at night or real early in the morning. But I was on lastnight at peak hours with over 900k people on and it was almost unplayable, every other match we joined we were pumping tons of bullets into people, getting no hit markers and being one shot in return. At one point I came up behind a guy and put my Galil barrel into his spine pulled the trigger, got like 6 hit markers and the guy turned around and one shot me with an AUG...
    Yea this is happing quite a bit to the matches I have been playing in lately..it does it in the middle of shooting at somebody too
    doublesit

VGA Miglong wrote:

And as for the lag, I really do not notice it as much unless there are over 600k people on then it starts to really show. So I tend to try and just play late at night or real early in the morning. But I was on lastnight at peak hours with over 900k people on and it was almost unplayable, every other match we joined we were pumping tons of bullets into people, getting no hit markers and being one shot in return. At one point I came up behind a guy and put my Galil barrel into his spine pulled the trigger, got like 6 hit markers and the guy turned around and one shot me with an AUG...

amount of people online should not have to do anything with what u described! COD:BO runs on PEER2PEER! no servers involved except for matchmaking ...! so it should not matter how many people are currently online!
    Prokletnik
    In COD4 and MW2 I rarely ever got lag. Even when I had 3 bar connection.

In Black Ops, is just like W@W was, lag to death, even when 4 bars, you shoot somebody they turn around and kill you, kill cam doesn't even show you shoot. Obviously its not my internet, its just that Treyarch doesn't know how to make a game without lag.
    v_Nine_v
    I've witnessed this before, not all the time but it does seem to happen, not sure if its connection manipulation or what it is but its wierd when you have a match where its lagging and everyone thats in the room minus a select few are lagging so bad and those select few steamroll us like were standing still... probably because to them we are!
    Mr Irrepressible
    OK, anybody who says 'get better connection' is just dumb, plain and simple. It is beyond the ability of the player to 'get better' connection because the things that make a better connection are not under the control of the player. You can switch ISP's 100's of times but it wont make a significant difference.

My upload speed is about 1.8, it cant go any higher because thats the max for my area, until BT or whoever put down better fibre optic underground cables we cant really do anything to get better connection.

The cause of the lag is treyarch matchmaking and xbox live's minumun  speeds requirements that are just too low. People on dial up cant still connect to xbl

for the dumb asses who keep saying get better connection, this is what it determins your connection:

- distance from the exchange.
    - your ISP max upload speed
    - how much data the under ground internet cables can carry
    - how many other people in ur area are using internet

all of which are not under the control of the gamer.

all these determin your connection quality...so please no  more dumb ass 'gets better connection' comments.
    STREETGL0W
    YEAH BUT PEOPLE ARE FORGETTING ABOUT THE ONES IN THE MATCHES WITH LAG SWITCHES HOOKED UP SO THEY CAN HAVE THAT 3 TO 5 SECOND LEAD OVER THE REST OF US WHO PLAY FAIR !
    Mr Irrepressible

STREETGL0W wrote:

YEAH BUT PEOPLE ARE FORGETTING ABOUT THE ONES IN THE MATCHES WITH LAG SWITCHES HOOKED UP SO THEY CAN HAVE THAT 3 TO 5 SECOND LEAD OVER THE REST OF US WHO PLAY FAIR !

Lag switchin is something that we'll just have to live with for now, I've had xbl for about 4-5 years and I've only come across a blatant lag switch perhaps 3 times, once on mw2 and twice on street fighter.

what xbl should have is region/city filters, so that you can play people in ur city

Prokletnik wrote:

In COD4 and MW2 I rarely ever got lag. Even when I had 3 bar connection.

In Black Ops, is just like W@W was, lag to death, even when 4 bars, you shoot somebody they turn around and kill you, kill cam doesn't even show you shoot. Obviously its not my internet, its just that Treyarch doesn't know how to make a game without lag.

Exactly the same for me
    Teamst3r776
    What pisses me off is the "lost connection to host"usualy right when the game ends. Kick everyone back to pre game lobby with no points. I have not had any trouble with lag,just these random disconnects. Its very frustrating to play a whole game and then be disconnected at the end. Is this the host quitting and it wont migrate?
    Wheatious
    The lag does need to be fixed.  Nothing like getting killed from around the corner only to watch the killcam and it showing you you never made it around the corner.

Also, where has host advantage gone?  I have an excellent connection and 7 out of 10 times I become host after the first match I join.  The lag  is extremely noticeable when I am host.  I can't stand it..I pretty much end up quitting and joining another random lobby just to avoid being the host.  So now I pretty much jump from lobby to lobby to avoid being host.  awesome.
    RThereAnyNamesLeft

Teamst3r776 wrote:

What pisses me off is the "lost connection to host"usualy right when the game ends. Kick everyone back to pre game lobby with no points. I have not had any trouble with lag,just these random disconnects. Its very frustrating to play a whole game and then be disconnected at the end. Is this the host quitting and it wont migrate?

Happens to me a lot too. I am on a 50mb down / 5mb up connection so its not that. And most of the time i get "lost connection to host", everyone gets kicked to the lobby. Its very frustrating. But i have had games with a lot of lag and everyone showing as really bad connections.
    dukedastardly
    the lag in this game is the worst i've encountered. interestingly, for me, W@W was probably the best in terms of stable, lag free connections so i had high hopes for BO.

i've tried to remain positive over the past couple of weeks because as a game i think black ops is fantastic, but it's getting to the point where i am left frustrated in so many games - is it worth it?
    what i'm noticing is that the people with the worst ping in a given game have the advantage - if they come round a corner and see me, they have time to aim and are shooting me literally before i see them on my screen!

just some recognition from TA that they are aware of the problem would be very welcome about now as there seem to be plenty of us having issues.

btw, i'll happily admit i don't have the best internet speeds but i havn't had issues this bad in cod 4,5 or 6 so something ain't right!
    STREETGL0W
    well we hope to see something come treyarch about these lag switchers, lag issues, host migration , and yes i see that alot to at the end of the match you will get that plug symbol like someone turned their switch off
    and sometimes you get kicked back to lobby with no points, i agree

we want it fixed treyarch !

ragequitter
    The real problem is not the game, it's people hacking using Net Tools 5 etc to force host then lag switch or using a wired lag switch and
    host booting people from the game when they are losing. There are multiple instructional videos for all of this on youtube and these activities
    are very common but go unnoticed due to people's ignorance and lagswitch users using short switch durations so they go unnoticed.

The easy fix is dedicated servers but I don't see those coming anytime soon

force host example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDKzTHhfqD4

wired lag switch example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kcdfHtnKLE

host boot/ip flood example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTbm-Epn0cI
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sirJyXj0Gqk